Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapport saying GB blocked the Colts

dw49

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

USA today doesn't really have any of their own sports reporters anynore. They piecemeal their sports coverage with Bleacher Report, using local guys for the most part.

Their source is a colts insider with over 6000 followers and Andrew Walker and Matt Taylor of the colts as followers.

I think it is GB spin to make it sound like Love was more wanted to legitimize their trade and drafting.  I doubt Ballard had interest in Love. If so, he would have kept the 13 pick and traded down and gotten him in mid rounds.

If it is true, then GB did us a big favor.  Now he can sit beyond Rodgers for 3-4 years and then become the bust I expect him to be.

Onto WRs and Anthony Gordon!

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Their source is a colts insider with over 6000 followers and Andrew Walker and Matt Taylor of the colts as followers.

He's a local Indystar guy....

Any of those guys follow Rappaport.

2 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think it is GB spin to make it sound like Love was more wanted to legitimize their trade and drafting.  I doubt Ballard had interest in Love. If so, he would have kept the 13 pick and traded down and gotten him in mid rounds.

If it is true, then GB did us a big favor.  Now he can sit beyond Rodgers for 3-4 years and then become the bust I expect him to be.

Onto WRs and Anthony Gordon!

you really think GB cares enough to legitimize their pick? lol

Chris Ballard was texting Pat McAfee while McAfee did his draft show tonight on You Tube.  As McAfee, Hawk, and the fake Mel Kiper discussed and joked about GB's move and what Rodgers reaction would be to GB drafting Love,  Ballard text Pat when they were discussing whether or not they should ask Rodgers to comment since Rodgers had been on the show earlier in the day. It doesn't strike me that Ballard was trying to move up if Ballard was watching McAfee's show.  

I don’t get the fuss over Love.. Ballard had the 13th pick. 13. If he wanted Love he could have had him. He could have even traded down a couple spots and still had him. He chose to get an AllPro DT instead. 

Stop focusing on who the Packers took. The Colts will win Round 2!!

I'll say this, I would not have minded Love down at 34. I did not want to have to give up any extra assets to move up with how deep this draft is.

Heck Ballard has shot pretty straight from day one here and he keeps harping on wanting more picks. So moving a 4th rounder or so to move up did not seem likely.

That all being said, almost everyone in the world knew the sweet spot for Jordan Love if he fell past NE/NO was going to be pick 27. Seattle had traded their first rounder every damn year since 2012. People knew Sea was a prime spot at 27 for anyone (Colts or any team interested in Love) to move up and select Love.

So GB jumped over Seattle's pick to take him.

I don't believe we ever would have given up more assets to go up and get Love.

And even national media guys I believe are simply connecting dots....Colts need a project QB that can start after 2020. Colts pick high in round 2. Dodds is a former Seattle guy and may have some connections with Seattle. Seattle always moves their pick. Etc Etc

I doubt anyone local or national knew if the Colts were truly trying to trade up. I could be wrong, but that is my take.

I would love to see us trade back from 34 to the mid second round and recoup at least a 4th if not a late 3rd to do so. There is so much talent out there right now.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Chris Ballard was texting Pat McAfee while McAfee did his draft show tonight on You Tube.  As McAfee, Hawk, and the fake Mel Kiper discussed and joked about GB's move and what Rodgers reaction would be to GB drafting Love,  Ballard text Pat when they were discussing whether or not they should ask Rodgers to comment since Rodgers had been on the show earlier in the day. It doesn't strike me that Ballard was trying to move up if Ballard was watching McAfee's show.  

Unless the Seahawks were his trade partner. I am leaning towards Ballard not liking him.

Is it ok to chuckle at the idea some had of trading up into the top 10 to get Love? Seriously. I found it absurd at the time, but willing to let it play out. Well, it did...and apparently... 32 general managers also felt he wasn't worth a top 10 pick. For the record, we're not talking about a few posts, were talking about pages of threads. 

Oh well...time to move forward!

1 hour ago, Riversrun said:

Kids thrown a lot of Picks last two years he’s a hack no thanks .

No.   He threw a lot of picks in 19.   He lost his coaching staff and 9 of the starters on the 18 offense. 

The 18 offense had better coaches and better teammates.  Love threw only 5 or 6 int all season.   

When a player goes from that good to that bad, there’s usually a good reason for it.  Worse coaches and teammates is the answer to the question of why Love’s performance fell off as it did.  

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It doesn’t matter anymore. Nobody will see him for the next 3-4 years and Rodgers will make sure of that. They are a high level playoff team right now and Love will not see the field in a meaningful game barring injury.

His contract has a potential "out" after 2021. Not saying it will be invoked, but but you never know. I never though Brady would be in Tompa Bay either.

2 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I have to believe the Packers don't envision Rodgers there for four more  years.

I think this is his last year there, imo. He will force his way out.

I would take Rodgers next year, for however long he has left. Probably 4-5yrs?

What if Ballard just used smoke screens to get somebody like GB to take Love at the end of the 1st, just so one of the receivers the Packers should have taken otherwise, fell to the 2nd round?

37 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think this is his last year there, imo. He will force his way out.

I would take Rodgers next year, for however long he has left. Probably 4-5yrs?

I’d take him. 

I think it means that GB thought they blocked the Colts.  That from their perspective, there was a big risk that SEA was going to trade with IND.

There were rumors that the Colts were on the phone about trading up, but we don't know if anything was ever settled.  Maybe SEA or other teams had a higher price than what Ballard was willing to pay.

I can see the Love fans thinking that Ballard really want their favorite QB too, but was just outwitted by GB.

I can see the Love nonfans saying that Ballard aligned with them and never was serious about wanting Love in the first place....or else he would have stayed at 13 and traded down from there if Loves value was late first.

We'll never know.

We have great players to pick.  We even have some QBs left that would be better than what we had with JB last year.

3 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Ballard is so mysterious of what he actually has in mind. Love may

have been a smoke screen for the QB he actually wants, no one will

know for sure but Green Bay certainly thought so.

Perhaps the Colts did like Love but were not willing to give up too much to move up.

I think the Packers liked Love and did what they thought was needed to get him.  

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see is taking a QB with our three picks today either. If we have a really good season this year and end up picking late next year I don’t see us having enough picks to move up next year either. We are really going to be stuck. We will see what happens today but I don’t see us taking one.

That's why I would like to see the Colts sign Rosen (or QB's in a similar position).   A QB that was predicted to be the best or one of the best in his draft class.   Went to 2 very bad teams and got limited playing time.  Bring him in as a backup and see what we have.   Of course we must be able to get him for next to nothing.  

I don't get the whole smoke screen thing.  Either GB likes Love or they don't.  They aren't going to like him more once they figure out another GM likes him.  

So Ballard blew smoke so GB would do what, trade up to take Love?  Why would Ballard care to make GB to take Love if GB was going to take Love anyway at 30?  If CB wanted a WR to fall, the WR would have fallen to 34 anyway because GB wanted Love.

I can see GB trading up out of fear that the Colts were going to.  But that's on them.  I don't see where Ballard would try to induce it.

BTW.  Love's measured pass velocity at the combine was the same as Fromm and Hurts, and only slightly better than Gordon.  A QB with a play making gunslinger mentality but not the velocity to back it up needs to make a lot of mental progress to dial that back, IMO.

Archived