Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If every RB is left at 34

PrideOfAthens17

Swift is probably best all around back.   Dobbins excellent in pass protection.  So so hands.  Taylor doesn’t have great hands & fumbles a lot.  Swift is a 3 down back.  I think the LSU back is gonna be nice though.  He’s very shifty.  Great hands.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Chiefs took him to be their Sproles.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

No we have marlon mack. Wilkins and Hines. Rb is our least needed position.

But I could never see any of them becoming a great NFL running back, I could see Dobbins becoming a top 8 RB. Although I know a lot of people would say that we don't need a great RB and that we would just have to pay him 15 mil now the CM just signed. 

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why the hell would we draft a RB? This makes no sense. 

Hines and wilkins  aren't  that good in my opinion  so if mack gets hurt the running  game will struggle.  Not to mention  swift is probably  better than mack 

1. We don’t need a great rb. 2. We have mack and Hines and Wilkins all do really well in this offense behind this oline. Check their stats if you disagree. 3. We have way more pressing needs the a thing that will be used like no other in this offense in 4 years. We need wr te way before a rb. 

11 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Swift is probably best all around back.   Dobbins excellent in pass protection.  So so hands.  Taylor doesn’t have great hands & fumbles a lot.  Swift is a 3 down back.  I think the LSU back is gonna be nice though.  He’s very shifty.  Great hands.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Chiefs took him to be their Sproles.

damn buddy, nice job on the call. 

The issue with Mack is that he has not shown to be a pass catching threat, and is not really a tackle breaker.  More of a juke and hit the crease.  So he has some limitations.

Taylor and Swift can juke and hit the crease,but can also catch, power through a tackle, and block well too.  They are a threat to run catch or block on any play, so that threat opens up the playbook and the audible opportunities.  There are other RBs in the draft too, but Taylor and Swift are the best.

I don't think they are worth 34 at this point with all of the other talent on the board.  We'll see about pick 44.

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

damn buddy, nice job on the call. 

After watching him play a couple times, his elusiveness is legit.  I saw a little Sproles, Jones-Drew, & even a little poor man's Barry Sanders in his game.  He's gonna be a solid pick up for Reid.  Problem is Reid has a propensity to abandon the run too soon and having a back who can catch it as well as LSU back could lead to Reid reverting to his old form...

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The issue with Mack is that he has not shown to be a pass catching threat, and is not really a tackle breaker.  More of a juke and hit the crease.  So he has some limitations.

Taylor and Swift can juke and hit the crease,but can also catch, power through a tackle, and block well too.  They are a threat to run catch or block on any play, so that threat opens up the playbook and the audible opportunities.  There are other RBs in the draft too, but Taylor and Swift are the best.

I don't think they are worth 34 at this point with all of the other talent on the board.  We'll see about pick 44.

Taylor's hand are not that nice.  And he had a lot of fumbles in his career.  I'm just very wary of Wisconsin running backs.  They often get run into the ground in college and their NFL careers typically underwhelm.  I'd take Swift though.  He's the complete back you were describing.  Can catch it.  Can block in pass pro and can tote it between the tackles.  Probably not a better pure runner than Taylor, but he has him beat in all the other areas.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Swift is worth pick 34 absolutely.  I would not be surprised if he is the highest rated player on our board.  If he is there at 34 I can not see Ballard passing unless he trades back.  I remember we liked Jacobs last year and Swift has been compared to him.  He would contribute right away and make our run game even better.  Another weapon for Rivers and we can draft a WR to get him another.  I would be happy with Swift, Taylor or Dobbins so a lot could happen if we decide to trade back.  This is a great opportunity to get a player with a legitimate 1st round grade in the 2nd.  We shall see. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Swift is worth pick 34 absolutely.  I would not be surprised if he is the highest rated player on our board.  If he is there at 34 I can not see Ballard passing unless he trades back.  I remember we liked Jacobs last year and Swift has been compared to him.  He would contribute right away and make our run game even better.  Another weapon for Rivers and we can draft a WR to get him another.  I would be happy with Swift, Taylor or Dobbins so a lot could happen if we decide to trade back.  This is a great opportunity to get a player with a legitimate 1st round grade in the 2nd.  We shall see. 

Don't disagree.  I'd still want to get the WR and OT along with Swift.  Maybe a trade back to take Swift, then a trade back up into the late second to get one of the other two.

Swift is in my top 3-5 prospects I’d like at 34. Mack is set to be a free agent after the season and rookie running backs are a great deal in my books because you can ride them out for 4 years (5 if taken in the first) and dump them before their production drops.

I am also a huge Akers fan so taking him closer to the end of round 2 or early round 3 would make me happy as well.

Unlike many others here I believe another running back is a need just not to the level of WR. RBs get hurt in the NFL... I want our running game to stay elite and 2 good to great backs is better than 1 throughout the season and hopefully postseason.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think Swift is worth pick 34 absolutely.  I would not be surprised if he is the highest rated player on our board.  If he is there at 34 I can not see Ballard passing unless he trades back

If the grade this front office gives him is higher than where we are drafting him, they shouldn’t trade back. I don’t know what all goes into grading players (if it’s weighted on position, which I would think running back would be down the list based on precedent by Ballard.) But I would hope we wouldn’t trade back for the sake of acquiring mor picks when a player we graded high is on the board for our taking. NFL network has Swift as a 6.75 grade which means he’s a day 1 starting caliber player, the highest left on the board. We need offensive playmakers, so I’m not opposed. I would like to see Ballard pick a good receiver up at some point and continue focusing on the trenches and 34 could net a heck of a player or two on either side of the ball in that regard. 

Check Wilkins yards per rush.. anyone thinking we need a rb right now is dead wrong. Wilkins almost has 6yards per attempt. Say all you want with mack and his contract and injury but both rb produce at a high level especially Wilkins for splitting carries with two other backs. I might be the minority here but I love Wilkins I think he runs super hard and always finds the hole and gets positive yards. We can still ride with these rb for a couple more years. If anything, we get a rb next year in the middle of the draft not in the 2nd round. Quit disrespecting my mans mack and Wilkins like this!!

Been drooling over the prospect of Swift on the Colts since he was a freshman at UGA. He's arguably the best offensive player on the Colts the moment he is drafted...he is an incredible all around talent.

But mostly...it's the impact he will have. Teams don't have to account for Mack catching the ball...and they don't have to account for Hines running the ball. With Swift...teams have to account and fear both. 

You can draft him and still extend Mack. More playmakers is not a bad thing.

11 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Check Wilkins yards per rush.. anyone thinking we need a rb right now is dead wrong. Wilkins almost has 6yards per attempt. Say all you want with mack and his contract and injury but both rb produce at a high level especially Wilkins for splitting carries with two other backs. I might be the minority here but I love Wilkins I think he runs super hard and always finds the hole and gets positive yards. We can still ride with these rb for a couple more years. If anything, we get a rb next year in the middle of the draft not in the 2nd round. Quit disrespecting my mans mack and Wilkins like this!!

Wilkins is a backup RB...who offers almost nothing in the passing game. He's a JAG. IF he was this great RB...Reich and Sirianni would use him. His best game last year (other than the 55 yard run he popped against tired TEN defense)...was the CAR blowout game where he rushed 9 times for 84 yards and a TD...with 71 yards and the TD coming on 6 carries in a garbage time series at the very end of the game.

Call it disrespect if you want...but the Colts have two RBs who run but don't catch passes...and one RB who catches passes but can't run (and isn't nearly as much of a playmaker in the passing game as many claim)...which leads to predictability on offense. Adding someone who excels in both would be a huge boost to the offense.

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Wilkins is a backup RB...who offers almost nothing in the passing game. He's a JAG. IF he was this great RB...Reich and Sirianni would use him. His best game last year (other than the 55 yard run he popped against tired TEN defense)...was the CAR blowout game where he rushed 9 times for 84 yards and a TD...with 71 yards and the TD coming on 6 carries in a garbage time series at the very end of the game.

Call it disrespect if you want...but the Colts have two RBs who run but don't catch passes...and one RB who catches passes but can't run (and isn't nearly as much of a playmaker in the passing game as many claim)...which leads to predictability on offense. Adding someone who excels in both would be a huge boost to the offense.

Amen!

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

That’s why it’s called drafting a WR to catch passes. Rb run the ball. He might be a back up running back but still runs the ball really well and produces! Stats don’t lie.. 

4 hours ago, MTC said:

I like Mack, Wilkins, and Hines. Not really a pressing need right now.

Love them! Don’t need a rb at all. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think I jinxed it :dunno:

Props to the ones that saw it happening.

It's OK. There aren't enough pages to fill up all the wrong picks and predictions I've made over the years, ha ha.

Besides, you'll come to love seeing Mack and Taylor behind this line. Especially with 4th quarter leads.

Archived