Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ballard for two guys that will contribute day one.    

By the end of today, Goodell will be reading the picks from his bed

Buckner is a freakin all-pro. Relax.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I can’t see Eason or JB being on the practice squad. I think they either trade JB or keep all of them.

I think we keep Eason as the backup, Chad remains on the practice squad and we trade Jacoby or just cut Jacoby and eat his contract.

• Like 2

I had said that in order for us to draft a QB to potentially force a cut of Chad Kelly, the Colts had to take a developmental guy with some special traits so really Love, Eason, or Hurts. Eason has some great arm talent, and a cannon. The concerns on him are justified though. He's not athletic and he is below average under pressure, but in the 4th, he's a great selection IMO. We don't have a QB signed for next season. This gives us options now. If Rivers comes back Eason could be a good backup. If Rivers doesn't come back then if we like Eason the he can become the starter, if we don't think Eason is ready we can either try to re-sign Brissett or get another veteran and/or draft someone next season. There's no question this guy flashes talent, imo more than Gordon or Morgan, so hopefully he takes being a pro to heart, settles in and gets hard at work and maybe one day contributes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ColtsLegacy said:

That's fair, I just do not like him. Feels like we are collecting mediocre QBs (after Rivers).

I mean... I preferred other options in this draft too, but keep in mind where in the draft we are. You are not getting anything close to a surefire thing in the 4th round. If a QB falls to this spot there are serious issues with his game that need to be worked on and/or with his attitude/injuries/red flags. 

So yeah... at this point you are taking a shot. And when taking a shot, take one at a player with high end traits. I don't think anyone has the expectation that Eason will be pushing Rivers for snaps or something like this, but you can get him in the building, you can monitor him from up close, see how he takes coaching in and see what he's about and if he has the drive to succeed. The risk is low, the reward is extremely high if he flips the switch and actually pans out.

• Like 1
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we keep Eason as the backup, Chad remains on the practice squad and we trade Jacoby or just cut Jacoby and eat his contract.

I see a scenario where Eason and Kelly battle for the backup spot...but both make the roster. Cheap QB depth with upside.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does he still have eligibilty to go on the practice squad?

Well, I think Kelly is competing against Brissett for the primary backup role.  I could see us dumping Jacoby, keeping Kelly, and Eason being the developmental guy...

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I see a scenario where Eason and Kelly battle for the backup spot...but both make the roster. Cheap QB depth with upside.

Yeah in no scenario could I see us keeping 3 active QB's on the roster and 1 on the practice squad. No way Jacoby would move to the practice squad either. 

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has killed this draft. If Eason works hard on his pocket awareness he is going to be great. He is a tough kid in the pocket and will throw dimes after being hit. Just needs to learn to handle pressure better.  He has to prove he is coachable and doesn’t know it all.

I think he is in the right place for that.  Time will tell.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@stitches who are some of your favorite players still available?

Netane Muti is my favorite that's still available. Has injury concerns, maybe that's what's dropping him.

Bryce Hall.

Donovan Peoples-Jones? 

Jeff Driscoll

Curtis Weaver... 

KJ Hill

James Proche

Derrek Tuszka

Jason Strowbridge

Prince Tega Wanogho

... there are some TEs who might be OK too...

I'm missing players here...

There still are a ton of good players left.

BTW Troy Dye is another good one for you guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rivers hasn't missed many games in his career.  The best argument for keeping JB as backup is his experience in the off chance Rivers misses a few games this year.  Colts are already stuck the majority of his huge QB salary (even if he were traded)... so he's effectively a $6M backup for this year (rest of the $21M contrace for this year is sunk cost regardless of what happens).  Even if they were to keep JB in 2020, I don't see him resigned as the backup going forward.

If both Kelly and Eason are looking good in camp, I would say roll the dice and deal/cut Jacoby and keep all three Rivers, Kelly and Eason on the expanded roster (with Kelly as the likely #2).

26 minutes ago, CamMo said:

His myriad of issues before. I don’t think he’s done anything wrong since being a Colt. 
But that’s business. He’s a proven knucklehead.

Lmao proven knucklehead? He’s human. I bet everyone on this forum has made mistakes before. I’ve made multiple mistakes and I was forgiven and I’m still doing well. Why should people still be bashing him for what he did years ago? He was young and hasn’t done anything since. Tired of people bashing the dude for making a mistake. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES. Get over it and quit bring his past up. It’s one thing to bring it up if it just happened, but not if it was years ago.

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

So who would be on the practice squad if JB is gone and Kelly and Eason are the backups?

EVen in that situation CK would since a QB needy would probably pluck Eason from it and according to some the team can’t carry 3 QBs

1 minute ago, ponyboy said:

Rivers hasn't missed many games in his career.  The best argument for keeping JB as backup is his experience in the off chance Rivers misses a few games this year.  Colts are already stuck the majority of his huge QB salary (even if he were traded)... so he's effectively a $6M backup for this year (rest of the $21M contrace for this year is sunk cost regardless of what happens).  Even if they were to keep JB in 2020, I don't see him resigned as the backup going forward.

If both Kelly and Eason are looking good in camp, I would say roll the dice and deal/cut Jacoby and keep all three Rivers, Kelly and Eason on the expanded roster (with Kelly as the likely #2).

If Eason was drafted to be the future that would not look good

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Netane Muti is my favorite that's still available. Has injury concerns, maybe that's what's dropping him.

Bryce Hall.

Donovan Peoples-Jones? 

Jeff Driscoll

Curtis Weaver... 

KJ Hill

James Proche

Derrek Tuszka

Jason Strowbridge

Prince Tega Wanogho

Adding Tyler Johnson to that list. While I do not think we go WR again this draft, I like Johnson too much to not throw his name out there here. OL picks have to come at some point though

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eason is a much better player and much better prospect. No contest really, IMO. The worries with Eason it seems are mainly about attitude/work ethic....

Isn't that why they hired Decker?  If they had any serious concerns about Eason's attitude Decker probably would have advised CB to take him off their board.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Bryce Hall.

Donovan Peoples-Jones? 

Jeff Driscoll

Curtis Weaver... 

KJ Hill

James Proche

Derrek Tuszka

Jason Strowbridge

Prince Tega Wanogho

BTW Troy Dye is another good one for you guys.

I want the Vikes to draft Tuszka.

I thought Muti would be gone by now.

How do you like your draft? Colts fans seem pleased. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

EVen in that situation CK would since a QB needy would probably pluck Eason from it and according to some the team can’t carry 3 QBs

I heard the XFL is gone. We could get their star QB back on our PS.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, PureLuck said:

Adding Tyler Johnson to that list. While I do not think we go WR again this draft, I like Johnson too much to not throw his name out there here. OL picks have to come at some point though

I think they definitely go WR again...or some type of pass catcher.

1 minute ago, PureLuck said:

Adding Tyler Johnson to that list.

For sure.

I'm surprised he has dropped so far. Does he have character issues?

Just now, NFLfan said:

For sure.

I'm surprised he has dropped so far. Does he have character issues?

I had heard one of the pundits allude to it...but never really found anything.

I think he is seen as a high floor type WR. I would love to get him in the 6th.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I heard the XFL is gone. We could get their star QB back on our PS.

If you're talking about former Colt Philip Walker, he signed with the Carolina Panthers.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I think Eason would be the #2 and Kelly stays on the practice squad.

IMO the only time we might see CK is in Preseason and on the PS because Eason will be 2 or 3

1 minute ago, ponyboy said:

If you're talking about former Colt Philip Walker, he signed with the Carolina Panthers.

Thanks for that info couldn’t remember where he went

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

While I never loved this TE group...Hunter Bryant makes a lot of sense...as an Ebron type for this offense. The value is definitely there.

We need another playmaker.  Oh well, there's always next year.