Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our first three picks are.....

Our first three picks are.....   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Our first pick, regardless if it's 34 or ?, will be......

2. 2. Our second pick, regardless if it's 44 or ?, will be......

3. 3. Our third pick, regardless if it's 75 or ?... will be....

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2020 at 11:00 PM

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If Dugger projects to FS, I'd prefer him over Hooker straight up, but I'm reading he's basically a SS.

Just my opinion, but I think Dugger ends up a FS by year two. He's a raw small school kid, but has all the meaurables to become a good FS. I think his speed and rangyness would be a waste long term at SS.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Hard but not impossible. However, it won’t shock me if he stays and does well. He isn’t the weakest link on the team, he isn’t the player we hoped for though. 

He had a pretty good year in 2018, but took a step back last year. One could easily chalk that up to being injured a few times, and also having one of the worst DL pressure %s. I like his chances to rebound though. Not shocked either way TBH.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are several good options at TE available through the 3rd round, but we'll see. I really don't think Burton will impact draft strategy all that much. 

I disagree.   I think the Burton signing allows the Colts to draft a TE a bit further down.  Burton has NFL experience, so Doyle, Cox and Burton is a legit TE crew.  Not great by any means, but not one of the top needs anymore.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think the Burton signing allows the Colts to draft a TE a bit further down.  Burton has NFL experience, so Doyle, Cox and Burton is a legit TE crew.  Not great by any means, but not one of the top needs anymore.  

I like MAC and Doyle, but Burton to me is more H back and slot at his height, than a true TE weapon, especially in the RZ. I like him much more between the 20s, then near the goal line. We'll see, but I'd hope they grab one by the end of the 4th. There are several I like that I think are ready now, and a few that I think have high ceilings but will take a year.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are several good options at TE available through the 3rd round, but we'll see. I really don't think Burton will impact draft strategy all that much. 

I like Burton, but I agree, I don't think he has any real bearing on what they want to do in the draft. And since he doesn't have prototypical TE size or traits, I don't see the Colts going from 'we really like Kmet' to 'ehh, we don't need a TE, we signed Trey.' 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but I think Dugger ends up a FS by year two. He's a raw small school kid, but has all the meaurables to become a good FS. I think his speed and rangyness would be a waste long term at SS.

That's my opinion too.  I read his profiles, then scratched my head when they said that his traits project to SS.  That's not how I read them.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I like Burton, but I agree, I don't think he has any real bearing on what they want to do in the draft. And since he doesn't have prototypical TE size or traits, I don't see the Colts going from 'we really like Kmet' to 'ehh, we don't need a TE, we signed Trey.' 

Yup. And I like Burton too. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I do think they go TE, but IF they don't, or IF they go late... 

-I think MAC might be more in their plans than folks think at detached TE.

-They could use Burton as the blocking TE, and let Doyle play a more detached role (his separation stats last year were among the best in the NFL)

-If they go big bodied X early, a Claypool or Pittman like pick running out of bully slot is almost identical to TE in alignment and route.

A lot of options for 2020. 

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's my opinion too.  I read his profiles, then scratched my head when they said that his traits project to SS.  That's not how I read them.

I think he might get used at SS for a year and worked into FS as he picks up the pro game. Like I said, he's got the measurables, but he also needs to click, and he's taking a big step up.

I also like Bryce Hall, CB out of VA. He's played CB, but I think FS is likely his best long term position. The rest of the Ss out there are mostly SS or Box S to me. Not a great year for FS to be honest. I could see a few CB to S converts to be honest.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think he might get used at SS for a year and worked into FS as he picks up the pro game. Like I said, he's got the measurables, but he also needs to click, and he's taking a big step up.

I also like Bryce Hall, CB out of VA. He's played CB, but I think FS is likely his best long term position. The rest of the Ss out there are mostly SS or Box S to me. Not a great year for FS to be honest. I could see a few CB to S converts to be honest.

Yeah, I think it comes down to what do we really want our FS to be.  If we are going to play a variety of schemes or coverages, it seems to me we need safeties that have a variety of skills and traits.  If he's just great at one thing, that limits what we can do the rest of the time.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I think it comes down to what do we really want our FS to be.  If we are going to play a variety of schemes or coverages, it seems to me we need safeties that have a variety of skills and traits.  If he's just great at one thing, that limits what we can do the rest of the time.

FS role doesn't change a whole lot in our scheme. Basically reading WR1 and MIKE. There are some nuances certainly, but C2 is pretty simple. If we start blitzing more, then yes, the role might vary more. 4-2-5 is really our base, so we're mostly in nickle. If we start playing SAM more (4-3-4), then things may change (probably better for Hooker), but I don't see the % changing that much. I think we'll play 4-2-5 more vs passing teams, and 4-3-4 vs run heavy teams like TN. Might see dime a little more if start getting up on teams more like we did in the Luck and Peyton days.