Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter Colts making calls to move up from 34

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Basically I have a different point of view. 

I can like or dislike something a GM does but then I always revert back to the GM does not look and see things through the fans eyes. We all have our opinions on what we think a GM should or shouldn't do but ultimately we don't have the input from a whole draft crew that has been working year round looking at over 3,000 players. 

Fans use hindsight to judge but looking back does nothing for the present or the future. 

Agreed.  I have never criticized Ballard's picks, or Ballard's decisions, because I know there is much more information about it than what I can see.  I can say that I think Humphrey should have been the pick over Hooker, or that the Colts should have accepted the trade down with BUFF instead of taking Nelson at 6, but that stops short of making a criticism in my book because there is a huge caveat in my opinion that it is totally based upon what I see as a fan, and that's it.

Of course, I never criticized Grigson's decisions or picks because of the same perspective, and that has gotten me into a lot of arguments because others think somehow they are in equal position as a GM. 

I question the GMs picks sometimes. But questioning isn't the same thing as criticizing.  JMO.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Taylor has more fumbles than Akers

Ok.  I thought I had looked it up a while ago and thought that Akers was very high in fumbles per number of touches.  I think Taylor may have led in sheer volume but that's because he had by far the most touches in his career as any RB.  That was a while ago so I may be mistaken.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please don’t write that you “proved” anything.   No one here has. 

Certainly not moving forward.    You can prove things looking back, because then you have facts to deal with.   But moving forward, there are no facts.  You can guess and suppose and speculate.  But with the upcoming draft, there’s no prof yet.  

Thank you. 

Well, you absolutely can prove something of this sort.  It's no mystery that if you trade an asset, you could, in turn, trade a separate asset to regain the first.  Not sure what problem you have if the poster referred to a thread in which they demonstrated with the teams assets, how that could be done.  This is a proof of concept, and it is not something that has taken place in the past, nor will definitely take place in the future.  Your assertion that you can only prove things that have already happened is ridiculous..... I can state for a fact, that if you drink two of six beers in your fridge tomorrow, you will have 4 left... barring any outside variable.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yep, kinda like trading a 1 for Buckner.

:)

That is one thing I am learning about Ballard, he does not seem to have a mindset about always wanting to acquire more picks or not trading up, etc., his mindset seems to be to do what he thinks is best for the team, not just for the current year but for future years as well.

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is one thing I am learning about Ballard, he does not seem to have a mindset about always wanting to acquire more picks or not trading up, etc., his mindset seems to be to do what he thinks is best for the team, not just for the current year but for future years as well.

Yep, he and his staff appear to be pretty nimble thinkers.

48 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yep, kinda like trading a 1 for Buckner.

:)

Believe it or not...

I didn’t think the trading of a 1 for Buckner was un-Ballard-like at all.   The moment he did the trade I thought it was extremely Ballard-like.  

Just because he hadn’t done it before didn’t mean to me that he’d never do it.  He just had to find the right deal.   And deals like this don’t happen all that often.  

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is from my post in Dr. T Draft contest

I posted this a few days ago.

Why Fromm, well let's look at what Reich looks for in a QB

1. “I look for toughness – mental and physical toughness.” - Fromm check.  Has not missed a game because of injury and was mentally tough enough to keep the starting job from not 1 but 2 5 star recruits in Jacob Eason and Justin Fields

2. “I look for accelerated vision – that’s my definition or my word for how fast do you think on your feet?” - Fromm check.  It seems to be the one thing everyone agrees on with Fromm, he does not get rattled by pressure and he is constantly thinking on his feet.

3. “I look for accuracy – you have to be really accurate in this league. The windows are small.” - Fromm check.  Considered by many to be the most accurate passer in the draft.

4. “You have to look for good feet. Most sports are played from the ground up, so as a quarterback that’s really important how you play this game with your feet.” - Fromm check.  When you read Reich's explanation he is not talking about running ability but the ability to move in the pocket, to set feet and throw.   And area that Fromm needs to improve upon but ahead of most QBs in the draft.

5. “Then the last thing is you look for the intangibles – the leadership. Are you the playmaker in the big moments?” - Fromm check, another universally talked about trait for Fromm is his leadership ability.

With the rumors about trading Hooker, I could also see the Colts trading Hooker and a 6th with Seattle for 27.

To your last paragraph....   the trade idea...    are you saying Hooker and a 6th round pick for the Seahawks first round pick?    Or did you also mean to include pick 34 as well?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

To your last paragraph....   the trade idea...    are you saying Hooker and a 6th round pick for the Seahawks first round pick?    Or did you also mean to include pick 34 as well?

No, I did not mean to add pick 34 as well.  If the Colts trade Hooker and pick 34 then they should get Seattle's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Hooker is a perfect fit for their D... and I'm not a fan but he seems to have a better reputation around the league.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Believe it or not...

I didn’t think the trading of a 1 for Buckner was un-Ballard-like at all.   The moment he did the trade I thought it was extremely Ballard-like.  

Just because he hadn’t done it before didn’t mean to me that he’d never do it.  He just had to find the right deal.   And deals like this don’t happen all that often.  

I believe you. I felt the same way.

I was expecting this off season to be out of box than what we'd seen in the past, but I didn't see this trade coming, AT ALL.

You're right 'just because we hadn't done it before didn't mean he'd never to it'.

I just thought this seemed to be the year to break out a little.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe it isn’t for a QB.

I almost think we could go for a CB if a top one falls or an OT. I don’t see us going up for a QB, unless, no, I just can’t imagine we do a trade up for a QB. Just don’t. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I almost think we could go for a CB if a top one falls or an OT. I don’t see us going up for a QB, unless, no, I just can’t imagine we do a trade up for a QB. Just don’t. 

The only reason to trade up for a QB (OT as well) is to get that 5th year option.  Since the Colts don't need a starting QB nor a starting tackle for 2020, then it makes sense to trade into the 1st round to get that 5th year.   I don't think something like that is as important for DBs because they seem to have a shorter curve on being able to tell if they are going to be worth keeping or not.  

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree for the most part. 

I think he might view certain OTs or WRs as special players that might need to sit behind AC (by maybe playing RT) or spell TY to take over for them permanently in a couple of years.  Maybe even Jonathon Taylor or Swift, two great runners who also can catch.  I don't think Mack has been extended.

If a special player at OT, WR, or RB is there at 31 or higher, I think giving up a pick like 75 or 122 is a no brainer, IMO.

Edit:  Polian thought it worthy of a late first to take both Donald Brown and Joseph Addai.  Taylor, Swift are both way better than either of those.

So the RB situation is a valid thought imho. Let’s say that Mack has told

the team his low bid $$$ is too high, the team seemingly just stopped in negotiations early when it was rumored there was discussions. Maybe CB said we aren’t going a dime over this and he said go fly a kite, CB says no problem. Tells his scouts, let’s plan on getting our next RB because I’m not investing 8 million plus on a RB that doesn’t catch. It has merit to thinking this way.

I could also very well see the move up for a OT that falls to replace AC after 2 seasons. A CB is also an out of the mainstream thought. I just can’t see giving up capital for a WR/TE. I have my doubts we go up for a QB. We don’t need dline guys and I can’t see a rush end that’s gonna be worth capital to go up in the mid 20’s for. What’s left? Maybe Delpit if he falls and we use 34 plus Hooker or Wilson? 

gonna get interesting. Who gets to say, I mocked that guy to us or I called it? Also, who is the first in to say CB is an * and has set this team back 20 years lol. 

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

So the RB situation is a valid thought imho. Let’s say that Mack has told

the team his low bid $$$ is too high, the team seemingly just stopped in negotiations early when it was rumored there was discussions. Maybe CB said we aren’t going a dime over this and he said go fly a kite, CB says no problem. Tells his scouts, let’s plan on getting our next RB because I’m not investing 8 million plus on a RB that doesn’t catch. It has merit to thinking this way.

I could also very well see the move up for a OT that falls to replace AC after 2 seasons. A CB is also an out of the mainstream thought. I just can’t see giving up capital for a WR/TE. I have my doubts we go up for a QB. We don’t need dline guys and I can’t see a rush end that’s gonna be worth capital to go up in the mid 20’s for. What’s left? Maybe Delpit if he falls and we use 34 plus Hooker or Wilson? 

gonna get interesting. Who gets to say, I mocked that guy to us or I called it? Also, who is the first in to say CB is an * and has set this team back 20 years lol. 

Having seen the comments about some of the players Ballard has made, I've come to think that Ballard has a group of core players that he's willing to spend money on, and a group that he sees as good players but not core players that he is willing to let go.  These players can sign decent contracts elsewhere and fetch a comp pick for the Colts.  I don't think Mack is in the core groups, and maybe Hooker isn't either.  So RB or S is a possibility if there is a great player, but still unlikely, IMO.

Those mentioning the 5th year option are right on the money. That is THE key factor in moving back into the 1st round. Trumps every other reason. Regardless of which player or position it's for.

One thing is for sure, though. If they do end up doing this, then the guy they get with it is someone they consider an absolute MUST for the foundation of this team moving forward. That's the whole point of locking up that extra year. So which guy do all of you consider a MUST for this team in this year's class? That is the key question to ask yourself here.

I think just adding another talented WR at the top of the draft improves this team, regardless of the type of receiver.  There's talent, but a LOT of questions marks with each of our WRs.  That being said, Reagor is not my favorite.  I'd like to get one that brings something to the table that we don't have, like Pittman or Claypool's size and strength...

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think just adding another talented WR at the top of the draft improves this team, regardless of the type of receiver.  There's talent, but a LOT of questions marks with each of our WRs.  That being said, Reagor is not my favorite.  I'd like to get one that brings something to the table that we don't have, like Pittman or Claypool's size and strength...

With Claypool he gives us versatility. We can play him at WR or the flex like Ebron. He would be a great fit. I saw a tweet awhile back that said ballard was breaking down his play on some show and mentioned he is a star. Never was able to confirm that though. He could fill two voids we have.

1 hour ago, BluHorzhu said:

Best part of this thread:  In the end we find out that today's timely release about Indy moving up was nothing more than Chris Ballard doing due diligence... and manipulating team perception.

I agree,  but don’t see this as manipulative 

I see this as nothing more than cover a “ what if” scenario

What if Love slide to late first round?

What if Tua slides to high teens.....?

What if Herbert slides to 20s?

Any of these scenarios aren’t likely, but every year someone slides dramatically

We have partners lined up, ahead of the situation. Should it occur

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No, I did not mean to add pick 34 as well.  If the Colts trade Hooker and pick 34 then they should get Seattle's 1st and 3rd round picks.

Hooker is a perfect fit for their D... and I'm not a fan but he seems to have a better reputation around the league.

Ok...   just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an oversight.    Thanks for clarifying. 

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is from my post in Dr. T Draft contest

I posted this a few days ago.

Why Fromm, well let's look at what Reich looks for in a QB

1. “I look for toughness – mental and physical toughness.” - Fromm check.  Has not missed a game because of injury and was mentally tough enough to keep the starting job from not 1 but 2 5 star recruits in Jacob Eason and Justin Fields

2. “I look for accelerated vision – that’s my definition or my word for how fast do you think on your feet?” - Fromm check.  It seems to be the one thing everyone agrees on with Fromm, he does not get rattled by pressure and he is constantly thinking on his feet.

3. “I look for accuracy – you have to be really accurate in this league. The windows are small.” - Fromm check.  Considered by many to be the most accurate passer in the draft.

4. “You have to look for good feet. Most sports are played from the ground up, so as a quarterback that’s really important how you play this game with your feet.” - Fromm check.  When you read Reich's explanation he is not talking about running ability but the ability to move in the pocket, to set feet and throw.   And area that Fromm needs to improve upon but ahead of most QBs in the draft.

5. “Then the last thing is you look for the intangibles – the leadership. Are you the playmaker in the big moments?” - Fromm check, another universally talked about trait for Fromm is his leadership ability.

With the rumors about trading Hooker, I could also see the Colts trading Hooker and a 6th with Seattle for 27.

If what Reich is looking for in a QB is Jake Fromm then Reich’s days as our head coach are numbered.  I don’t see what everyone sees in Fromm.  All those traits you listed are highly exaggerated & deserve asterisks. Did you see how weak his arm looked at the combine?  I mean clearly the weakest.  What in his numbers makes him the most accurate QB in this draft?  Over Tua & Burrow?  Please.  

His best numbers don’t even measure up to Hurts fill in time his last year at Alabama & definitely not his Oklahoma numbers.  Herbert better than Fromm at just about every thing you listed. Also, I think Fromm has regressed since riding on the backs of a star studded team to the championship game.  Since then he’s taken that same talented team & underachieved.  I wonder if it was politics that kept him in the starting job because Fields is clearly the better QB.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Schefter just said the Jags are talking to the Lions...

Doesn't matter. Who ever the Jags pick with their 1st pick will, they will only be traded in 2 years. In line with their current method of building a team. They prefer to build a team by drafting high in the draft and then trading those high picks 2 years later. Then they   sign high priced players in free agency and then cut their acquisitions a year later. Doesn't seem to b working....go figure 

42 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If what Reich is looking for in a QB is Jake Fromm then Reich’s days as our head coach are numbered.  I don’t see what everyone sees in Fromm.  All those traits you listed are highly exaggerated & deserve asterisks. Did you see how weak his arm looked at the combine?  I mean clearly the weakest.  What in his numbers makes him the most accurate QB in this draft?  Over Tua & Burrow?  Please.  

His best numbers don’t even measure up to Hurts fill in time his last year at Alabama & definitely not his Oklahoma numbers.  Herbert better than Fromm at just about every thing you listed. Also, I think Fromm has regressed since riding on the backs of a star studded team to the championship game.  Since then he’s taken that same talented team & underachieved.  I wonder if it was politics that kept him in the starting job because Fields is clearly the better QB.

He is no better than Brissett.

Archived