Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Schefter Colts making calls to move up from 34


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is all about getting in position to get Swift if he falls.  Schraeger just did a Mock with the Pats taking him in the 1st RD and they have Michel.  He's a premium talent.  Swift or Taylor behind our line watch out. No highly rated QB is going to fall far.   

Been saying for weeks that colts have interest in Swift. A top 15-20 talent that could fall to the mid 20’s. I don’t see Ballard paying mack 8-9 mil when there’s going so many others to resign. Makes a lot of sense to me. Now I don’t like the idea of giving up both second rounders. Maybe if he falls to 26 or so, it would only cost a 3rd. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to see the Colts move up and take an OT. First, because we need to find AC's replacement soon, or to give Smith the slide inside.....   ...but also/kinda, to watch some of you melt do

Lets call ourselves the Jordan Lovers.     

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Here's my out of left field prediction:

Colts are talking to the Patriots, who don't have a 2nd round pick, and have needs at both QB and WR.  Either they're willing to trade Brissett and #34 to move up to #23 to take Jordan Love.  Or, Colts have a different target in mind at #23, trade both #34 and #44 to get there, and the Patriots draft QB Jacob Eason and a WR like Pittman.

Pats don't have the cap space to take on Brissetts contract.  They currently have around 2M.  That would take a lot of moves to make it happen.  Highly unlikely I would think. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

My prediction 

We trade up to 22 for Love.

My prediction.. 92% of your posts this offseason involves colts trading up for Love...:lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


I don’t see the Colts trading 34 or 44 regardless of position.   It would be completely un-Ballard-like for him to do that. 

Oh, I agree with you.  In fact, the whole idea of trading up in the 1st round is un-Ballard like.  But... it's Schefter saying it, so who knows what could happen?  I'm betting that the Colts are talking to people for possible trades, depending on how the draft falls.  There's always Josh Jones out there, who is the only quality LT that we would have a chance at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

My prediction 

We trade up to 22 for Love.

I haven't predicted it, but I've been talking about it for weeks, back when BUFF had the pick.  Its right in front of NE at 23, then NO at 24, and perfect value for giving up our pick 75 to get there.

 

But BB knows this and would likely trade up a few spots to get Love if that's who he wants.  NE always seems to have those extra comp picks, and this year they're tradeable.

 

BTW, Both McShay and Kiper have Love still going in the top 10, so its probably futile anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Oh, I agree with you.  In fact, the whole idea of trading up in the 1st round is un-Ballard like.  But... it's Schefter saying it, so who knows what could happen?  I'm betting that the Colts are talking to people for possible trades, depending on how the draft falls.  There's always Josh Jones out there, who is the only quality LT that we would have a chance at.

I’m sure we’re calling.  But I think we’re doing our diligence to know what the cost would be.   Doesn’t mean we’ve agreed to anything.   That would only happen if the right player falls far enough (pick 31?) so the cost wouldn’t  be too high. (3? 4?). 
 

Im trying NOT to read too much into all this...  (Not to say you are).  I think others here may be. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I haven't predicted it, but I've been talking about it for weeks, back when BUFF had the pick.  Its right in front of NE at 23, then NO at 24, and perfect value for giving up our pick 75 to get there.

 

But BB knows this and would likely trade up a few spots to get Love if that's who he wants.  NE always seems to have those extra comp picks, and this year they're tradeable.

 

BTW, Both McShay and Kiper have Love still going in the top 10, so its probably futile anyway.

And let's face it, the Pats are always drafting a QB each year. It's the BB thing to do. He's certainly going to take one, the question is where. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Been saying for weeks that colts have interest in Swift. A top 15-20 talent that could fall to the mid 20’s. I don’t see Ballard paying mack 8-9 mil when there’s going so many others to resign. Makes a lot of sense to me. Now I don’t like the idea of giving up both second rounders. Maybe if he falls to 26 or so, it would only cost a 3rd. 

Pick 34 and 75  is too much for a RB, even a very good one.  I would give up pick 122 to trade with SF to keep the RB from going to KC or anybody trading into 33.  Other than that rather narrow window of having Swift still there at 31, I don't think its worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see the Colts move up and take an OT. First, because we need to find AC's replacement soon, or to give Smith the slide inside.....

 

...but also/kinda, to watch some of you melt down. 

 

:cheers:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I want to see the Colts move up and take an OT. First, because we need to find AC's replacement soon, or to give Smith the slide inside.....

 

...but also/kinda, to watch some of you melt down. 

 

:cheers:


:lol: :stir: You really enjoy tweaking people don’t you....

D8187853-8CE5-4B43-A36F-F5076E09BEC7.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Akers fumbles.  Anything other than Taylor or Swift have limitations, like Mack.  Those two are complete three down RBs that can run, block, or catch on any play, and are fast enough to score.

Taylor has more fumbles than Akers

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I want to see the Colts move up and take an OT. First, because we need to find AC's replacement soon, or to give Smith the slide inside.....

 

...but also/kinda, to watch some of you melt down. 

 

:cheers:

If one falls I could see this happening. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gamesmanship... getting people to move up and take a player we appear to be interested in but are really not...and thus moving draft picks we are interested in closer / to our pick

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Ballard does find a trading partner to trade up the only thing I am predicting is no matter who he trades for, there will be those who will have a problem with it. 

It's in a lot of fans nature to second guess everything a GM does. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Ballard does find a trading partner to trade up the only thing I am predicting is no matter who he trades for, there will be those who will have a problem with it. 

It's in a lot of fans nature to second guess everything a GM does. 

Of course, and there is nothing wrong with that.

 

It would be like saying there are some who never ever have a problem with anything he does simply because he's the GM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

Gamesmanship... getting people to move up and take a player we appear to be interested in but are really not...and thus moving draft picks we are interested in closer / to our pick

 

I do wonder though if teams, when someone contacts them for moving up, and if the team that has to move down, casually mentions the name of the other team that was interested with them prior.

 

For example, would you expect an Vikings' GM to reveal to (say) the Patriots' GM (Belichick), once Belichick contacts him about moving up, that Ballard had contacted earlier, to drive the price up? I would think fewer things like these could happen if the calls happen a few picks earlier as opposed to before the draft. So, it is counter productive to me to reveal to a team that you are willing to partner with them before the draft, best done a few picks prior. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just look at the teams that badly need draft picks. The two that stick out are NE and SF. SF would make some sense and their pick 31 could likely be had for pick 34 and the Colts' fourth rounder. That's a nice pickup for a team that has no picks after #31 until the 5th round. And it would make sense for the Colts if Love drops. If they truly want him, they wouldn't want to let the Bengals field offers all night for pick 33. 

NE....that's a tougher call. Pick 23 would likely require #34 plus a third rounder this year, or pick #34, a fourth rounder in 2020 and perhaps a 3rd rounder in 2021. Expensive for a team like the Colts that wants more early picks, not fewer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I want to see the Colts move up and take an OT. First, because we need to find AC's replacement soon, or to give Smith the slide inside.....

 

...but also/kinda, to watch some of you melt down. 

 

:cheers:

grrr... lol

 

4 minutes ago, Architects08 said:

I'm going to bombard this forum with a temper tantrum of complaining if we trade up to draft Jordan Love. Please football gods.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

 

Get him later in the draft then I'm fine. Moving up to draft him.. I'm kinda with you

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love did not have a Jalen Hurts type year... I still am perplexed by Colts fans wanting this guy. He reminded me more of Brock Osweiler / Paxton Lynch than Matt Ryan... I could see us going after an OT, WR or BPA DL prospect before QB

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

hope she doesn't see this...she'll write a song about it. 

She does like to write about lost Love... maybe she will mean Jordan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question.  If Schefter is saying this why isn't the tweet coming from him.

 

It's possible that it's happening but I find it a little bit odd that another guy is tweeting out news that he says Schefter told him.  

 

Crazy thought.  Maybe some of those guys who claim to have inside info but don't actually have any inside info are getting notice by again making up their own info but dropping the name of a reliable source like Schefter and saying that person apparently told them this for some reason instead of reporting it themselves.  

 

image.png.f9f25b859487654ec9d0813f06d40f02.png

 

See I can do it too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy idea so crazy it may be true.

 

The Lions and Giants want out of their picks but are having trouble locking anything in (per ESPN). Ballard called them both to see the price thinking it may be less than that type of trade would normally cost. Tua to the Colts. 

 

I doubt that but I could certainly see the Colts calling to ask and that would satisfy the trade up rumor. Very seriously doubt we move up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalseStart said:

Love did not have a Jalen Hurts type year... I still am perplexed by Colts fans wanting this guy. He reminded me more of Brook Osweiler / Paxton Lynch than Matt Ryan... I could see us going after an OT, WR or BPA DL prospect before QB

It’s all about his traits and potential. Ballard clearly didn’t think he was worth the 13th pick. All fans see is his terrific traits.  It’s uo to ballard and Reich to decide if they think he is smart enough to develop those traits into a starting QB.  Fans don’t have the full picture because they aren’t privy to interviews. All we see is his traits which are outstanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I do wonder though if teams, when someone contacts them for moving up, and if the team that has to move down, casually mentions the name of the other team that was interested with them prior.

 

For example, would you expect an Vikings' GM to reveal to (say) the Patriots' GM (Belichick), once Belichick contacts him about moving up, that Ballard had contacted earlier, to drive the price up? I would think fewer things like these could happen if the calls happen a few picks earlier as opposed to before the draft. So, it is counter productive to me to reveal to a team that you are willing to partner with them before the draft, best done a few picks prior. 

 

Having read comments from some teams and GMs, some of them start these conversations in advance. Sometimes they have their deals basically in place, and then pull the trigger at the last minute if their guy is still on the board. John Lynch gave some good info on the trade with the Bears a couple years ago, and how they had been having conversations about that move well before the draft started.

 

I doubt someone like Belichick operates that same way. So I figure there's a range of approaches, depending on the team, and depending on the objective. If you're the Lions sitting at #3 and you want to move down, maybe you want everyone to know that the pick is available. If you're the Jaguars and you're thinking about getting up to #3 or #4 ahead of the Dolphins, Chargers and Panthers, maybe you keep that quiet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I don’t see the Colts trading 34 or 44 regardless of position.   It would be completely un-Ballard-like for him to do that. 

Even though Ballard and Reich r beloved by this forum.  There has to b pressure on both of them to get it right.  Play offs have been few in both of their tenures. Not saying they r going to get fired , but there has to be both external and internal  pressure. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have a question.  If Schefter is saying this why isn't the tweet coming from him.

 

It's possible that it's happening but I find it a little bit odd that another guy is tweeting out news that he says Schefter told him.  

 

Crazy thought.  Maybe some of those guys who claim to have inside info but don't actually have any inside info are getting notice by again making up their own info but dropping the name of a reliable source like Schefter and saying that person apparently told them this for some reason instead of reporting it themselves.  

He said it in espn get up this morning. I need to go back to YouTube to see if it’s up yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from my post in Dr. T Draft contest

 

Quote

34.

A: Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia (bonus points and yes I know there are no bonus points, I'm going to say the Colts trade with SF, again, for pick 31 and draft Fromm.  And the board, in general will be near a meltdown)

I posted this a few days ago.

 

Why Fromm, well let's look at what Reich looks for in a QB

1. “I look for toughness – mental and physical toughness.” - Fromm check.  Has not missed a game because of injury and was mentally tough enough to keep the starting job from not 1 but 2 5 star recruits in Jacob Eason and Justin Fields

 

2. “I look for accelerated vision – that’s my definition or my word for how fast do you think on your feet?” - Fromm check.  It seems to be the one thing everyone agrees on with Fromm, he does not get rattled by pressure and he is constantly thinking on his feet.

 

3. “I look for accuracy – you have to be really accurate in this league. The windows are small.” - Fromm check.  Considered by many to be the most accurate passer in the draft.

 

4. “You have to look for good feet. Most sports are played from the ground up, so as a quarterback that’s really important how you play this game with your feet.” - Fromm check.  When you read Reich's explanation he is not talking about running ability but the ability to move in the pocket, to set feet and throw.   And area that Fromm needs to improve upon but ahead of most QBs in the draft.

 

5. “Then the last thing is you look for the intangibles – the leadership. Are you the playmaker in the big moments?” - Fromm check, another universally talked about trait for Fromm is his leadership ability.

 

 

With the rumors about trading Hooker, I could also see the Colts trading Hooker and a 6th with Seattle for 27.

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Been saying for weeks that colts have interest in Swift. A top 15-20 talent that could fall to the mid 20’s. I don’t see Ballard paying mack 8-9 mil when there’s going so many others to resign. Makes a lot of sense to me. Now I don’t like the idea of giving up both second rounders. Maybe if he falls to 26 or so, it would only cost a 3rd. 

Hmmmmm.....i don't see a trade up for a back this year. It's a waste, I think. U can plug and play a rookie rb. Kind of a waste in assets to have both arookie and Mack in same backfield.  Let Mack walk next year and draft a rb next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have a question.  If Schefter is saying this why isn't the tweet coming from him.

 

It's possible that it's happening but I find it a little bit odd that another guy is tweeting out news that he says Schefter told him.  

 

Crazy thought.  Maybe some of those guys who claim to have inside info but don't actually have any inside info are getting notice by again making up their own info but dropping the name of a reliable source like Schefter and saying that person apparently told them this for some reason instead of reporting it themselves.  

 

It was a live interview. I'm sure he says a lot of stuff in interviews that he doesn't think is tweet-worthy, which is understandable.

 

He was asked which teams might move up, and he said 'the Colts have made some calls about moving up. I don't think ultimately they'll wind up doing that.' 

 

So there's that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with others up here in that it's just Ballard trying to get all this stuff communicated with potential picks of other teams in advance. Why try and wait to do all this communication for the first time during the draft when this draft in itself is historic because of it being virtual. I'm sure Ballard has his small list of Blue Chip prospects that if they were to make it to a point in the draft where they are still there, then hey, maybe it is worth trading up for to get this Blue Chip prospect (regardless of position).

Plus I feel like if we were to trade, there is always the chance to trade next years 2nd or 3rd along with out 34th. Especially when you can recoup more picks this year by trading back from 44. And knowing you can trade your 1st next year to move back (if we wanted picks that badly), and we will most likely get 1-2 comp picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

It was a live interview. I'm sure he says a lot of stuff in interviews that he doesn't think is tweet-worthy, which is understandable.

 

He was asked which teams might move up, and he said 'the Colts have made some calls about moving up. I don't think ultimately they'll wind up doing that.' 

 

So there's that.

 

Ok I'll take your word for it.  Just found it odd that a random dude tweeted was Schefter said instead of Schefter himself tweeting it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is from my post in Dr. T Draft contest

 

I posted this a few days ago.

To me, Fromm is a Reich guy. They have a dominant OL. They want to run the ball. They signed Burton who was rated high in blocking. I just think the qb they draft is old school. Love to me is just not a fit.  I may look like a fool after the 1st round, it has happened many times haha, but that is just my gut feeling. Rivers is a statue. Cam is a free agent, I know there r the medical concerns, but u never heard Colts were sniffing around. Just my thoughts and I mayb eating a lot of crow tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of course, and there is nothing wrong with that.

 

It would be like saying there are some who never ever have a problem with anything he does simply because he's the GM.

Basically I have a different point of view. 

I can like or dislike something a GM does but then I always revert back to the GM does not look and see things through the fans eyes. We all have our opinions on what we think a GM should or shouldn't do but ultimately we don't have the input from a whole draft crew that has been working year round looking at over 3,000 players. 

Fans use hindsight to judge but looking back does nothing for the present or the future. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is from my post in Dr. T Draft contest

 

I posted this a few days ago.

 

Why Fromm, well let's look at what Reich looks for in a QB

1. “I look for toughness – mental and physical toughness.” - Fromm check.  Has not missed a game because of injury and was mentally tough enough to keep the starting job from not 1 but 2 5 star recruits in Jacob Eason and Justin Fields

 

2. “I look for accelerated vision – that’s my definition or my word for how fast do you think on your feet?” - Fromm check.  It seems to be the one thing everyone agrees on with Fromm, he does not get rattled by pressure and he is constantly thinking on his feet.

 

3. “I look for accuracy – you have to be really accurate in this league. The windows are small.” - Fromm check.  Considered by many to be the most accurate passer in the draft.

 

4. “You have to look for good feet. Most sports are played from the ground up, so as a quarterback that’s really important how you play this game with your feet.” - Fromm check.  When you read Reich's explanation he is not talking about running ability but the ability to move in the pocket, to set feet and throw.   And area that Fromm needs to improve upon but ahead of most QBs in the draft.

 

5. “Then the last thing is you look for the intangibles – the leadership. Are you the playmaker in the big moments?” - Fromm check, another universally talked about trait for Fromm is his leadership ability.

 

 

With the rumors about trading Hooker, I could also see the Colts trading Hooker and a 6th with Seattle for 27.

 

I follow everything you said except that last part. 

 

Hooker and our 6th would fetch pick #27?

 

Hell, I'd do that trade even if nobody was on the board that I liked at 27.

 

Could trade pick 27 for a low 2nd and low 3rd, or a team's first next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...