Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday on Colts Pats 2005

Very interesting inside perspective from Jeff Saturday on Colts/Pats game from 2005:

Colts mentality that game

Difficulty beating the Pats defense 

Tony Dungy’s mentality

Peyton’s work ethic

Being called a “finesse” team

Edge’s running

Saturday’s assessment of that 2005 team
The subsequent 5-1 record against the Pats

that started with that game.

The plane ride home

My wife and I were at that game and rode the train from Foxboro to Boston with hundreds of very shocked and quiet Pats fans. I wanted to talk trash but discretion got the better of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That 05 team was the best of the Manning era, IMHO.  

Marvin was still at full strength, Edgerin was still at full strength..  

yeah it probably was

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

2005 was our most talented team. 

I’ll bet Nick Harper still has nightmares! If he had headed for the sidelines with that fumble recovery, THAT would have been a great ending to that game against the Steelers and who knows, maybe Peyton would have had two rings here?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That 05 team was the best of the Manning era, IMHO.  

I totally agree they had an incredible team should’ve won the Super Bowl that year.  They definitely were the best team in the NFL at that time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I’ll bet Nick Harper still has nightmares! If he had headed for the sidelines with that fumble recovery, THAT would have been a great ending to that game against the Steelers and who knows, maybe Peyton would have had two rings here?

Didn't he get stabbed in the leg by his wife/girlfriend earlier that week?  Then our 'liquored up' kicker missed.  I still think the play before the kick they should have run Edge instead of throwing that pass.

In reality though, I don't think the coaching staff or team fully recovered from the Dungy tragedy.

You know, it's been really discussed, but that was also the year that coach dungy's eldest son committed suicide late in the season. He was close to the team, had worked as a ball boy I think. Dungy left the team for a while and a bunch of players attended the funeral. We earned a bye and then played an egg against Pittsburgh before getting a last minute chance.

Just always felt that tragedy took the starch out of the team. 

However, no one, rightfully has ever really talked about it that I know of.