Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Trey Burton

MarquisJ

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Exactly!! It’s a cheap way to add picks. Doesn’t often work out but even if 2 hit, that’s a positive gain. 

It’s quite possible that TB wanted more than a 4th or CB wasn’t willing to part with a 4th? We don’t know. It’s quite possible, CB didn’t like all of Howard’s game too. 

I tell you what, I’d take a Pittman jr and Claypool back to back picks if an OT if worth isn’t there at 34. If we had to grab one of these two and hope the other guy falls to 3rd round pick, which player stands the best chance of being there for our 3rd round spot? 

I absolutely hope this is what happens. I hope they all ball out because 1. We will do well in 2020 and 2. We have cap space to pick and choose who we want to sign and 3. We gain comp picks galore if they all sign big contracts elsewhere for 2021 and we can start packaging to move into a high 1st rd pick (franchise QB???)

my fear is they ball out on 1 year deal we extend them and then they become Desir. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Riversrun said:

This it from the colts ? Sign guys with a total of 14 catches ? And a Wr who would be lucky to start in XFL ? Rivers will not do well with this group not at all .Either they draft a stud like Kmet or just pay Rivers to hold the clipboard ,Very dissapointing now .I don’t expect anything but 7 wins if this is the path .

It’s called depth. It’s what allows the Colts to draft the BPA and not reach. Two guys who know the offense were brought in on the cheap for camp competition. Neither preclude the Colts from taking a WR or TE in the draft.  Neither are guaranteed spots on the roster.  You did see the Colts trade for Buckner and sign Rivers, right?

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Awesome signing.  We shouldn't expect a TE being drafted early if at all. 

He was mostly  utilized on STs as a rookie in 2014.  Had 3 catches in 2015 while still being used on STs, had 37 and 23 in 2016 and 2017 (working with Reich), had 54 catches in 2018 in Chicago (by far best year) and reduced to 14 catches in 8 games (due to hernia injury) last year...  I highly doubt Ballard and Reich are looking at this guy like he's the prime solution to our TE issue.  

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

As stated in an earlier post... Welcome to Indy Mr. Burton, let's hope you don't turn out to be a Nightmare before Christmas!! :excited::thmup::funny:

In all seriousness, if he's Healthy he is going to be a beast and Reich knows how to use him where Nagy did not.

Stoked about this one!!

In the two years he worked with Reich he had 37 and 23 catches, respectively.  Seems like 'beast' wouldn't be the best way to describe him.  He's a good blocker (when healthy), but at this point, I don't expect him to come in and be terrific.  I won't be shocked if he doesn't even make the team.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wonder if this takes tight end off the draft board.  It’s only vet minimum.

I don't necessarily think so.  He's only really had one good year in his career (2018 he had 54 catches) and is coming off an injury with no guarantee that he'll be more than depth or a camp body right now.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

Burton is very much like the Johnson signing. He's not a starting TE, but will make some plays and provides solid depth. I think he got a much later contract than his play dictated when he was signed by the Bears.

I like the signing, but I don't think it precludes us for taking a TE in the draft if they're BPA or even trade for a player like Howard at the right price.

I think the thing that Burton and Johnson signings have most in common are: (1) Reich and coaching staff is familiar with both players, (2) Both players will be fighting for some of the last roster spots, (3) I will not be shocked if one or both gets cut prior the season... they'll boost our competition in training camp,and get cut at worst, or they'll make the squad at best. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

GM's deal with that scenario ever year.   That's how good players get let go and become free agents every year.     It's not that they're not good,  it's that the team is up against the salary cap and GM's have to make hard decisions.    Happens on most every team, ever year.

Life of a General Manager.....       Honestly,  not kidding....

They'd rather have too much talent and make tough choices than not enough talent and make easy choices.      Remember Ballard saying he'll know when things are changing when other teams are picking players off our roster.     That's happening.  Deon Cain, for example.

Ballard will take this situation every day, all day.

Yea he said he'd really like to see the cut-down from 75-53 (I guess now 55) see 10-15 players go play elsewhere... he said that's the sign of a solid team, when guys that can't make your roster because it's so good, can make other rosters.  Last year we had the following:  Zach Burton (OL) cut and signed by KC (SB Champ), Krishawn Hogan WR - cut and signed by New Orleans, Shakial Taylor DB- cut and signed by Broncos, J'Marcus Webb OT - cut and signed by MIA, Ross Travis TE cut and signed by NYJ, Ahmad Thomas cut and signed by ATL, Caraun Reid DT cut an dsigned by ARIZ, Jordan Veasy cut and wound up on WSH's practice squad, Carroll Phillips DE cut and picked up by Skins but currently a free agent, Tony Garcia OT cut and signed to MIA practice squad, Penny Hart WR cut and signed with SEA practice squad..... 11 guys we cut wound up elsewhere in the NFL (several guys went and played in the XFL, but not counting them).  Even though 3-4 of those guys were primarily practice guys, that's an optimistic, IMO, amount of guys going to sign contracts elsewhere and still be around the NFL even though they 'weren't good enough' to make the Colts.

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Actually, I was thinking JB....

Reich said something about 5-7 plays per game for JB -- hopefully they add a wrinkle or two into the 'Philly Special' if JB and Burton are in the game, because I'd imagine other teams will know what to be on the look out for if that's the case.

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Burton has a better heart than Ebron but he's as brittle as glass. If we get 6 games out of him that will be a lot.

He has played at least 15 games in every NFL season since he's been in the league, except last year due to a sports hernia.  In 2018, he played and started all 16 games... not sure where 'brittle as glass' is coming from?

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He was mostly  utilized on STs as a rookie in 2014.  Had 3 catches in 2015 while still being used on STs, had 37 and 23 in 2016 and 2017 (working with Reich), had 54 catches in 2018 in Chicago (by far best year) and reduced to 14 catches in 8 games (due to hernia injury) last year...  I highly doubt Ballard and Reich are looking at this guy like he's the prime solution to our TE issue.  

In the two years he worked with Reich he had 37 and 23 catches, respectively.  Seems like 'beast' wouldn't be the best way to describe him.  He's a good blocker (when healthy), but at this point, I don't expect him to come in and be terrific.  I won't be shocked if he doesn't even make the team.

I don't necessarily think so.  He's only really had one good year in his career (2018 he had 54 catches) and is coming off an injury with no guarantee that he'll be more than depth or a camp body right now.

I think the thing that Burton and Johnson signings have most in common are: (1) Reich and coaching staff is familiar with both players, (2) Both players will be fighting for some of the last roster spots, (3) I will not be shocked if one or both gets cut prior the season... they'll boost our competition in training camp,and get cut at worst, or they'll make the squad at best. 

Yea he said he'd really like to see the cut-down from 75-53 (I guess now 55) see 10-15 players go play elsewhere... he said that's the sign of a solid team, when guys that can't make your roster because it's so good, can make other rosters.  Last year we had the following:  Zach Burton (OL) cut and signed by KC (SB Champ), Krishawn Hogan WR - cut and signed by New Orleans, Shakial Taylor DB- cut and signed by Broncos, J'Marcus Webb OT - cut and signed by MIA, Ross Travis TE cut and signed by NYJ, Ahmad Thomas cut and signed by ATL, Caraun Reid DT cut an dsigned by ARIZ, Jordan Veasy cut and wound up on WSH's practice squad, Carroll Phillips DE cut and picked up by Skins but currently a free agent, Tony Garcia OT cut and signed to MIA practice squad, Penny Hart WR cut and signed with SEA practice squad..... 11 guys we cut wound up elsewhere in the NFL (several guys went and played in the XFL, but not counting them).  Even though 3-4 of those guys were primarily practice guys, that's an optimistic, IMO, amount of guys going to sign contracts elsewhere and still be around the NFL even though they 'weren't good enough' to make the Colts.

Reich said something about 5-7 plays per game for JB -- hopefully they add a wrinkle or two into the 'Philly Special' if JB and Burton are in the game, because I'd imagine other teams will know what to be on the look out for if that's the case.

He has played at least 15 games in every NFL season since he's been in the league, except last year due to a sports hernia.  In 2018, he played and started all 16 games... not sure where 'brittle as glass' is coming from?

He wouldn’t do the Philly Special in CHI...maybe Reich being here might change that though.

I don’t know if he’s brittle...but he could be broken. Bears cut him because he couldn’t pass a physical and he was hurt all of last year. Like you said...I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the team. Definitely should not prevent them from looking at the TE position.

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

my fear is they ball out on 1 year deal we extend them and then they become Desir. 

Always a possibility. Even the new, shiny DT we picked up this offseason can do the same thing. All a GM can do is hope he has identified hard workers who will put hard work and team ahead of just making lots of money. He has to pick the ones who will choose both of these things mutually and not just exclusive. For every Reggie Wayne type, you get Landry types. I trust CB’s assessment of them for the most part. 

Only read the first page of the thread but it does make me laugh how much this forum seems to love a bang average signing!

"Awesome signing"

"Stoked"

"Excited"

Etcetera, etcetera. We've just replaced Ebron with a guy whose best ever play was a throw :D and almost 3 times more tackles than touchdowns. Come on!! 

Its okay as a vet minimum signing but let's not go overboard and I hope it doesn't change our draft strategy one bit.

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

You're right, I was confusing him with the Redskins TE Jorden Reed, who's very talented but brittle.

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

In Burton's only real game in which he was given a chance to play when a member of the Eagles, Burton went 5/6 for 71 and two TD's with an average of 14.2 yards a catch. He would've been 6/6 for 92 and 3 TD's however Wentz missed him open. You would take that all day from your TE. In Philly he was always lumped behind Ertz and Celek and really wasn't given an opportunity to play and traded away once the Eagles found out what they had in Goedert. Against the Rams (see above) Ertz was out and Celek was banged up as well. When he went to Chicago, and actually got a chance to start, I thought he was going to be finally be a top 8 TE, however NAGY's shortcomings in ALL phases in Chicago really killed Burton, his injury last year aside. Reich will get this guy the ball, trust me. He will be beast!! He has to stay healthy, but Burton hands down is far better of a playmaker than Doyle.

17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

In Burton's only real game in which he was given a chance to play when a member of the Eagles, Burton went 5/6 for 71 and two TD's with an average of 14.2 yards a catch. He would've been 6/6 for 92 and 3 TD's however Wentz missed him open. You would take that all day from your TE. In Philly he was always lumped behind Ertz and Celek and really wasn't given an opportunity to play and traded away once the Eagles found out what they had in Goedert. Against the Rams (see above) Ertz was out and Celek was banged up as well. When he went to Chicago, and actually got a chance to start, I thought he was going to be finally be a top 8 TE, however NAGY's shortcomings in ALL phases in Chicago really killed Burton, his injury last year aside. Reich will get this guy the ball, trust me. He will be beast!! He has to stay healthy, but Burton hands down is far better of a playmaker than Doyle.

Burton is not the same player he was in Philly. Has had a lot of injuries like sports hernia and hip surgery. There is a good possibility he does not even make the team. But for league min. contract it is worth the chance.

4 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Only read the first page of the thread but it does make me laugh how much this forum seems to love a bang average signing!

"Awesome signing"

"Stoked"

"Excited"

Etcetera, etcetera. We've just replaced Ebron with a guy whose best ever play was a throw :D and almost 3 times more tackles than touchdowns. Come on!! 

Its okay as a vet minimum signing but let's not go overboard and I hope it doesn't change our draft strategy one bit.

There is good reason to be excited about this.   Low risk/high reward.   That pretty much means that nothing but good can come of this.   That is a good signing.  

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

There is good reason to be excited about this.   Low risk/high reward.   That pretty much means that nothing but good can come of this.   That is a good signing.  

I see the low risk. Not quite so sure about the high reward. It's a bog standard player on a vet minimum, it's solid roster churn, nothing more nothing less.

I'm not gonna split hairs, you say "good", I say "okay" and I'm fine with that.

It's definitely not awesome or exciting though and should not have 1% impact on our draft strategy. 

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Ballard is definitely in win a Super Bowl now mode.

Do you think that signing Burton to a one year contract at Vet minimum reflects Ballard's mind as SB win now mode more than it did when he signed Ebron to a 2/10?

I think these one and two year signings are the sign of the future for the Colts.  We will extend our star and core players but that's about it.  The roster is really going to turn over in the coming years.  Wilson and Hooker are already rumored to be available.  Draft well and keep the cap space available.  Going into todays draft Ballard has a tremendous amount of flexibility.  He can truly draft BPA and move up or down or trade if he wants.  Should be a very productive next couple of days.  

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think these one and two year signings are the sign of the future for the Colts.  We will extend our star and core players but that's about it.  The roster is really going to turn over in the coming years.  Wilson and Hooker are already rumored to be available.  Draft well and keep the cap space available.  Going into todays draft Ballard has a tremendous amount of flexibility.  He can truly draft BPA and move up or down or trade if he wants.  Should be a very productive next couple of days.  

Yes. He's not finished building his core players for the team, including having to churn some players that he thought would be core....Luck, Wilson, and maybe Hooker.  He just added a DT to the core with pick 13.

Any thought about a SB would just come from dumb luck catching lightning in a bottle.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Burton wasn’t traded...he left in FA. And PHI drafted Goedert after Burton signed in CHI.

PHI is a team that values TE more than any other team...and they let him walk...and then used a 2nd round pick on a TE. CHI saved barely any cap space by releasing him...but they still did.

I think you might be a tad optimistic here on what type of player Burton is...and that’s if he is even healthy in several months.

20 hours ago, Riversrun said:

This it from the colts ? Sign guys with a total of 14 catches ? And a Wr who would be lucky to start in XFL ? Rivers will not do well with this group not at all .Either they draft a stud like Kmet or just pay Rivers to hold the clipboard ,Very dissapointing now .I don’t expect anything but 7 wins if this is the path .

Easy there, brother. Ah, how quickly we forget sometimes. These are the kind of guys that Spanos's decision makers routinely signed to be multi-year starters. ESPECIALLY on the offensive line. Heck, worse than this on the offensive line. I'd rather have both of these guys as linemen instead of the roll-ey poll-ey blobs o' goo they put in front of Philip for over a decade.

20 hours ago, Riversrun said:

14 catches total?     Where are you pulling this from.

Burton has 131 catches for 1282 yards and 12 TD's.

Johnson has 28 catches for 424 yards and 3 TD's.  

All I can say is how much I love following a team again that tries INTELLIGENTLY and DILIGENTLY to get to and win Super Bowls, instead of a team whose reporters write about how "great" their team's players are just because they happened to be multi-year starters on a bunch of average teams.

"That's all a guy has to do to be labeled A GREAT PLAYER here is to be a starter on my team". YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Archived