Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Trey Burton

MarquisJ

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wonder if this takes tight end off the draft board.  It’s only vet minimum.

Doubtful tbh. He had under 100 yards last season due to injuries. This one of those low risk, high reward kind of signings. I do think we won't take a TE early, but I could still see us taking on at some point.

45 minutes ago, James said:

Signed for vet minimum. 

Now let’s get Kmet.

Doyle, MAC, Burton and Kmet would be more than solid.

Don't they usually just dress three tight ends? Maybe they draft someone like Claypool, who might be able to play receiver and tight end

47 minutes ago, stitches said:

Great signing! I love it. We remove one more immediate and urgent need to address in the draft. Won't get boxed in - only draft TE if he's BPA. Nice. This made too much sense not to happen. 

Now lets see if we trade a late round pick for Alshon Jeffery. Another one that makes tons of sense.

Wouldn’t be happy with Jeffrey. He was a bit of a locker room malcontent.

11 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Don't they usually just dress three tight ends? Maybe they draft someone like Claypool, who might be able to play receiver and tight end

This is what I am thinking. We could still draft a WR at 34 and Claypool at 44. Maybe with thinking Claypool will eventually play TE. Rivers just needs some more weapons.

Burton is very much like the Johnson signing. He's not a starting TE, but will make some plays and provides solid depth. I think he got a much later contract than his play dictated when he was signed by the Bears.

I like the signing, but I don't think it precludes us for taking a TE in the draft if they're BPA or even trade for a player like Howard at the right price.

Just hope he can get back to being productive after last year's groin and calf injuries. One Chicago reporter noted:

"The Bears’ offense — like the Eagles and Chiefs — needs good tight end play, and Burton didn’t offer that at all in 2019. He was hampered by a sports hernia that locked up his groin just before the Bears’ wild card loss to the Eagles and was never the same, finally going on IR with a calf injury then undergoing hip surgery the Bears hoped would get him back to his 2018 self. But seeing as they know his medicals better than any team and desperately need good tight ends, it’s hard to see Burton resurrecting his career somewhere else."

9 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Claypool will not play as a TE in the NFL. He will most definitely get drafted to play WR. 

I agree 100%, but I'll also point out that whenever he runs out of the slot, he's more or less in a traditional TE alignment, and likely running a route similar or identical to a TE.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I really hope these cheap 1 year deals don't come back to bite us in the * lol if these players all ball out we will either have tons of contracts to give out or tons of holes to fill next year 

Seriously?

In the GM world,  the scenario you described as better known as.....     WIN!-WIN!!

That's why GM's mostly love 1-year prove it deals.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

In the GM world,  the scenario you described as better known as.....     WIN!-WIN!!

That's why GM's mostly love 1-year prove it deals.

It would be great for this year but with our really great young players coming up for big extensions it will be sad to lose other players after they play great after a 1 year deal and we can't afford all of them thus creating possibly many holes thats a worry for me 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It would be great for this year but with our really great young players coming up for big extensions it will be sad to lose other players after they play great after a 1 year deal and we can't afford all of them thus creating possibly many holes thats a worry for me 

GM's deal with that scenario ever year.   That's how good players get let go and become free agents every year.     It's not that they're not good,  it's that the team is up against the salary cap and GM's have to make hard decisions.    Happens on most every team, ever year.

Life of a General Manager.....       Honestly,  not kidding....

They'd rather have too much talent and make tough choices than not enough talent and make easy choices.      Remember Ballard saying he'll know when things are changing when other teams are picking players off our roster.     That's happening.  Deon Cain, for example.

Ballard will take this situation every day, all day.

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You can never afford all of them so that doesn’t matter. What matters is drafting well.  It’s not a worry at all if you draft well. These other players brought in through FA are replaceable even if they do well. And if they do play well they could net the Colts more draft picks, which Ballard will continue to use well to fill the roster.

You pay your young, talented, drafted players (Nelson, Leonard, Kelly etc) who project to be long term core players.

These one year deals are perfect, because Burton, Rhodes, Carrie, Johnson are replaceable when you draft well like Ballard does. The holes won’t be there.

This it from the colts ? Sign guys with a total of 14 catches ? And a Wr who would be lucky to start in XFL ? Rivers will not do well with this group not at all .Either they draft a stud like Kmet or just pay Rivers to hold the clipboard ,Very dissapointing now .I don’t expect anything but 7 wins if this is the path .

2 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

This it from the colts ? Sign guys with a total of 14 catches ? And a Wr who would be lucky to start in XFL ? Rivers will not do well with this group not at all .Either they draft a stud like Kmet or just pay Rivers to hold the clipboard ,Very dissapointing now .I don’t expect anything but 7 wins if this is the path .

So you are going to lose sleep over the signing of two players? 

Just is case you didn't know the Colts roster will have 90 players on it come training camp. (whenever that does happen)

5 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

Definitely 7 wins AT THE MOST. I wouldn’t bother watching the draft, or the rest of the offseason. Probably should pack in the season all together.

30 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

He signed for the vet minimum. No guarantee he will end up making the team.

2 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

You get a veteran who should already know his way around this playbook for the veteran minimum. Could also mean Ballard wasn’t in love with the tightends in this draft or could be looking in the later rounds maybe Thaddeus Moss perhaps?

I’d say that this signing has absolutely zero bearing on what CB does with the TE position in the draft. He has guys now he is good with and if Moss were to fall to him late, or any of the TE’s we like fall, he can pick them up and it’s a camp duel, nothing lost. If they still choose a KMet at say 44, now they have the option to take him there or Claypool or whatever receiving type kid that’s available, no need to trade up for anyone imho. Good flexibility for this draft and this years offense if we miss out on a targeted player. 

2 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

If these guys have good years and we let them walk, we're going to be swimming in 2022 comp picks haha

Exactly!! It’s a cheap way to add picks. Doesn’t often work out but even if 2 hit, that’s a positive gain. 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

pretty decent signing would have rather traded a 4th or 5th for OJ Howard but this is an extremely cheap deal so can't be upset about that at all lol

It’s quite possible that TB wanted more than a 4th or CB wasn’t willing to part with a 4th? We don’t know. It’s quite possible, CB didn’t like all of Howard’s game too. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Wolf said:

I also like Colby Parkinson from Stanford. He was a High School teammate with Michael Pittman, Jr. Would love to get both!

I tell you what, I’d take a Pittman jr and Claypool back to back picks if an OT if worth isn’t there at 34. If we had to grab one of these two and hope the other guy falls to 3rd round pick, which player stands the best chance of being there for our 3rd round spot? 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I really hope these cheap 1 year deals don't come back to bite us in the * lol if these players all ball out we will either have tons of contracts to give out or tons of holes to fill next year 

I absolutely hope this is what happens. I hope they all ball out because 1. We will do well in 2020 and 2. We have cap space to pick and choose who we want to sign and 3. We gain comp picks galore if they all sign big contracts elsewhere for 2021 and we can start packaging to move into a high 1st rd pick (franchise QB???)

2 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

I'd have to check the new rules. 

Rosters have been expanded to 55, specifically to include more OL.  Maybe game day activation has been expanded too and sneaky HCs like BB. and hopefully Reich, can figure a way to dress more TEs.

It might be a nuance of the rule change that makes TE more valuable.

Archived