Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts resign Marcus Johnson (merge)

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

people are going to lose their minds no matter what. We could redo the 1998 draft and 50% of the people on this form would want us to trade back and NOT draft Peyton.

Do you remember what peyton did with an elite oline? And what happened when we finally got a defense? SB. 

You're out of your mind dude. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'll go 1 step further...  when you draft a QB in the 1st you expect him to play right away.  We traded out of the 1st...  qb taken in the 2nd and beyond, can learn from a vet for a year or 2.  we signed a vet with a year or 2 left in the tank.  Might be a guy we really like in the 2nd round but my money is on us taking someone like Jalen Hurts in the 3rd to sit behind rivers for a couple years then take over.  

Either rivers is solid and a qb can sit behind him, or he sucks and we tank the year for Lawrence

I agree about what is expected from taking a first round QB.  I don't like the idea of taking a QB mid round because I don't think they have the talent to begin with if they drop that low.  Not to say that it won't be the path the Colts take.  

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

TY Hilton = #1 WR

Campbell = TBD (Possibly a 2 WR?)

Pascal, Johnson, Fountain = WR 3's

We need better receivers on this team.

I’m with you.

But I don’t think its “crap” like some.

TY seemed to have lost something the last 2 years or so.  It very well could be QB related, but my eyes seem to see a difference.  We saw that with Marvin.  I’m gonna hold judgement until seeing him with another QB.

I like Pascal, alot, but is he a #1?  None of us know what Campbell will become.  I like Johnson, and i think Rivers will too, but again, can he carry the room?  Fountain , like Campbell, is kind of an unknown as well.

My worry, is if TY goes down, what do we really have? We dont know.  I do have confidence Ballard has a grip, but still.

Picture how the WR room would look with a Devante Adams, or similar player.  I would like a guy with some size to him.  
  What Ballard does do at WR i think will speak to how he feels about the current guys in house.  With all the WRs (good ones) in this draft, there could be some interesting cuts at WR that could fill the role as well.

TY needs his “Reggie Wayne” on the other side to compliment, bolster, and eventually assume the #1 role.  I dont see him currently on the roster.

I can see Colts drafting at least two receivers in this draft. Outside of Hilton, Paris, and Pascal, there are a lot of question marks. Plus, Hilton and Paris both have had injury issues, so it would be nice to pick up more quality depth.

53 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’m with you.

But I don’t think its “crap” like some.

TY seemed to have lost something the last 2 years or so.  It very well could be QB related, but my eyes seem to see a difference.  We saw that with Marvin.  I’m gonna hold judgement until seeing him with another QB.

I like Pascal, alot, but is he a #1?  None of us know what Campbell will become.  I like Johnson, and i think Rivers will too, but again, can he carry the room?  Fountain , like Campbell, is kind of an unknown as well.

My worry, is if TY goes down, what do we really have? We dont know.  I do have confidence Ballard has a grip, but still.

Picture how the WR room would look with a Devante Adams, or similar player.  I would like a guy with some size to him.  
  What Ballard does do at WR i think will speak to how he feels about the current guys in house.  With all the WRs (good ones) in this draft, there could be some interesting cuts at WR that could fill the role as well.

TY needs his “Reggie Wayne” on the other side to compliment, bolster, and eventually assume the #1 role.  I dont see him currently on the roster.

Yeah I agree for sure. I don't view it as crap like some do but it's lack luster. I think we need another #1 like you mentioned with Reggie Wayne. Then hope that Campbell moves into a better role and stays healthy with some productive games. I could possibly see Ballard double dipping in the draft grabbing 2 WRs. Then, I'm really hoping that Rivers will bring out some better play as well.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

TY Hilton = #1 WR

Campbell = TBD (Possibly a 2 WR?)

Pascal, Johnson, Fountain = WR 3's

We need better receivers on this team.

We really don't know what Fountain is at this point to be honest.  He's another big body at 6' 1" or so, but I'm not sure if he's a 2, 3, or 4 because he hasn't played.  I am anxious to find out though.  I believe he can play, but it remains to be seen.

Pittsburgh went many years with AB and fill in the blank...just 2 receivers doing the bulk of the work and those #2 receivers changed every 3 years. . I know AB was the best but if we simply had TY play all year, and just having a fast, stretch the field #2 would help tremendously. 

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This makes me very happy. 

Sweet!  Me too!  Now we don't need to draft a WR at all, now that we're bringing Marcus Johnson and his 28 career receptions.

We are set at WR now:

Hilton

Campbell

Pascal

Johnson

Fountain

Studs abound.

4 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Sweet!  Me too!  Now we don't need to draft a WR at all, now that we're bringing Marcus Johnson and his 28 career receptions.

We are set at WR now:

Hilton

Campbell

Pascal

Johnson

Fountain

Studs abound.

Yeah, that's by far the prevailing sentiment here...  Good thing your sarcasm pointed out the inherent folly in someone being glad a depth guy who has shown he can handle spot duty was brought back...  I was almost confused about whether or not I should gripe, or cheer.... Now that I see the error of thinking there could be shades of Gray in this binary world, I thank you... I am truly forever indebted to you and your pithy retorts for showing me the way.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I thought he showed some promise last year.  I liked him but I don’t think he’s a starter WR but I do think he shows promise as a roster guy.

Agreed. He's not a starter, but he's definitely a guy that can make plays off the bench and provide depth when guys go down.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

TY seemed to have lost something the last 2 years or so.  

In 2018 he had almost 1300 yards receiving in 14 games.  

The QB is definitely the difference.

2018 with Luck   vs  2019 with Brissett

Yards per catch - 16.7 vs 11.1

Yards per game - 91 vs 50

15 minutes ago, Shive said:

Agreed. He's not a starter, but he's definitely a guy that can make plays off the bench and provide depth when guys go down.

Having a WR for cheap who has played a starter role already coming off the bench is a nice asset.  

OAre we trying to beat the chiefs ? How is this helping Rivers and the offense ? We have zero chance at a Super Bowl appearance if this is the plan sign practice squad caliber WR and trade away Hooker on D ? I think I check out on 2020 season if they don’t Go Kmet and Atleast Reager in round 2 lol listen I’m kidding about Johnson he’s just depth obviously but I really do want Kmet lol

27 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

OAre we trying to beat the chiefs ? How is this helping Rivers and the offense ? We have zero chance at a Super Bowl appearance if this is the plan sign practice squad caliber WR and trade away Hooker on D ? I think I check out on 2020 season if they don’t Go Kmet and Atleast Reager in round 2 lol listen I’m kidding about Johnson he’s just depth obviously but I really do want Kmet lol

So if not Kmet you won't be a fan?  Seems a bit drastic.   

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

You may be right. Ballard loves the trenches. 

I like that he does.  The good O-line has created a solid running game without having to break the bank for a high priced RB.  

Also the O-line allowed a Luck to throw for 4600 yards and 39 TD's to a receiving crew that had Hilton, Ebron, Rogers Hines and Grant as the top 5 receivers.  Whatever happens in the draft, the 2020 crew is already better than the 2018 crew.  

The Colts will draft a WR in the 2nd round (I truly believe).  

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

We are set at WR now:

Hilton

Campbell

Pascal

Johnson

Fountain

Studs abound.

You are generous to have Campbell in the WR 2 position.  He was injured...I know but he showed very little last year.  At this point...I like Pascal a lot better.  But I know Pascal is a #3 caliber guy.  Campbell could evolve to a 2 but he definitely has to earn it and will most likely have some added competition for it after the draft.  Campbell has slot receiver talent but could slip to #4 if he doesn’t ball out. 

The timing I think is a bit odd,why the day before the draft if waiting this long, was someone else ready to sign him ?

I'm not sure he makes the roster if we draft a wr early with T.Y.,Cambell,Pascal and the drafted wr taking 1-4 in some order and Fountain,Chad Williams (I think he has something was drafted very high by Arizona),Dulin, Artavis Scott,Rodney Adams and maybe a second drafted wr fighting for final spot or 2 spots in preseason.

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

And he hasn't been on the roster since, well, ... Reggie Wayne...

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I bet Dulin doesn’t make the team. Pascal will go back to KR since he won’t be the number one WR. Johnson is good depth. 

Ty, Campbell, pascal, draft pick, fountain, Johnson. That looks like a good group of six to me.

Dulin is an ace special  teams guy. He may make team

51 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

You are generous to have Campbell in the WR 2 position.  He was injured...I know but he showed very little last year.  At this point...I like Pascal a lot better.  But I know Pascal is a #3 caliber guy.  Campbell could evolve to a 2 but he definitely has to earn it and will most likely have some added competition for it after the draft.  Campbell has slot receiver talent but could slip to #4 if he doesn’t ball out. 

The pecking  order behind Hilton  is unknown,  but all receivers will benefit  from rivers

still think WR should be a top priority in the draft I don't have much faith in Pascal Johnson or Dulin being more than decent depth.

TY is getting older the rest are either decent depth or serious projects get someone to be a serious threat for years to come i feel the same about TE even after the Burton deal 

55 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Dulin has high upside as a returner and STs guy, but also a decent upside at WR. Definitely a project, but he's got great measurables (4.43, 38 vert), and had great production (just at a very small school) returning, running, and receiving. I read something months ago that the FO really liked his progression through camp and through the year. He did look good in limited returns (he had a near 50 yard return vs Jax), and also some good moments as a gunner. I'd love to see him win a spot, and split PR and KR with Hines.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The only reason he got called up was injuries. Pascal was doing awesome as KR. Then injuries hit and he had to be the main WR so Dulin took those duties. I can’t remember if Dulin was a gunner or not. Maybe he was. I don’t want another Rogers. I don’t want to see someone who is more talented at WR get cut because of ST.  If he makes the team that means say goodbye to a guy like Fountain. 

8 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Like the signing, Johnson, when given playing time has produced. He will have to earn his roster spot again, but a body who knows the system and can produce. Honestly was surprised when we cut him? Nice job CB!

He wasn't cut. He was a RFA and we just didn't tender him. We basically let him explore FA. It's likely we signed him for way under what a tendered offer would have cost. 

6 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Cool thanks! Apparently hes a year to year rental?!?!

Wouldn't really call him a year to rental, but yeah kinda. IMO, he wasn't worth a tender offer (which would have been around $3M) but worth bringing back to compete for depth spot. No guarantees he'll make the roster, but he's got good measurables. 

My bet...

Z/slot - Hilton/Campbell

X/big slot - Draft/Pascal

Competing for 5th and 6th spot

Fountain

Dulin

Johnson

Other guys

Williams

Adams

Henry

Ishmael

Scott

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wouldn't really call him a year to rental, but yeah kinda. IMO, he wasn't worth a tender offer (which would have been around $3M) but worth bringing back to compete for depth spot. No guarantees he'll make the roster, but he's got good measurables. 

My bet...

Z/slot - Hilton/Campbell

X/big slot - Draft/Pascal

Competing for 5th and 6th spot

Fountain

Dulin

Johnson

Other guys

Williams

Adams

Henry

Ishmael

Scott

At times I've disagreed with your assessment of the quality of our WRs.  I think you're one good WR short.  This is the year to draft one to be better than anybody on your 5th/6th list, and to maybe even push down Pascal.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

At times I've disagreed with your assessment of the quality of our WRs.  I think you're one good WR short.  This is the year to draft one to be better than anybody on your 5th/6th list, and to maybe even push down Pascal.

I don't see them taking 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds. If they take one later than that, it's doubtful that pick would be ready to compete and displace Pascal. The early round pick IMO will be an X, and push down Pascal like I listed, but even then Pascal would still get decent usage in the slot.

Archived