Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Convince me otherwise

I have personally never been a real fan of Marlin Mack. In fact, I may not have even spelled his name correctly just now :funny:

I was hoping that the Colts would put Mack on the block to be traded. Here is why.

Mack has been oft injured for one thing. He also, I believe, is nothing more than a product of success once our current O-line was constructed. He did have a decent season last year, however he offers nothing in the pass game at all and to answer those who might say he doesn't get a fair shake to catch passes, I would say that if the coaching staff/personnel thought he was capable they would not have drafted Hines as an example.

From a player standpoint he is meh and IMHO could be easily replaced or upgraded. Swift or Taylor this year might fair better than Mack.

IDK, convince me why you would give Mack an extension instead of letting him kick rocks to another team.

He has been injured some, but the fact he played through his shoulder injury for much of the year his rookie season shows toughness. The other thing is I think he is more than meh personally is he looks so much better than the other backs we have. If the line was the sole reason(not saying they aren’t a tremendous help) then Wilkins and Hines would do great as well. When they are both in they have had decent runs here and there, but in between there are negative runs or 1 yard gains. Mack rarely gets caught for a loss. He isn’t a top 5 RB probably, but somewhere in the top 10-12 I’d say easy. Just my opinion

Well, IMO what Mack has needed is a better stable of running mates. He's carried the load and he's not a big back. Wilkins is nothing special. Hines is really better as a 3rd down change of pace RB. If the Colts had a better second option, Mack would take fewer snaps and hold up better. 

And Mack had an excellent season last year. I don't know what you consider to be top notch, but Mack was a top 10 RB last season. And not just because he had an excellent O-line. He's also a solid blocker. 

That said, I can't disagree that the Colts may choose to let him go FA and select a potential new alpha back this year to groom. But that RB will have to be able to carry the load, and that includes blocking for his QB. The Colts are going to run the damn ball, and you have to have talent to do that. Watch for a RB in round 4. 

Archived