Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've seen it mentioned on ESPN and even our own fanbase sees our OL as one of the best in the league.  I challenge that theory and suggest our weakest link is RG.  It is my opinion that if we fix the RG position, our OL goes from top 10 to possibly #1!  The KC playoff game in 2018, showed that our right side of the line was completely manhandled and the Chiefs saw this and took full advantage.  Smith our RT, had a pretty good yr up to this game but got exposed with all the great pass rushers KC had to offer and not sure if he was to blame or lack of help from RG?  2019, I couldn't help but notice JB facing lots of pressure and if not for his mobility, things would've been a lot worse.  This has me thinking with a less mobile qb in Rivers that do we need to upgrade our right side of the line?  I think that most will see that if we don't Rivers won't have that glory moment behind the best OL that most seem to say we have?

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I've seen it mentioned on ESPN and even our own fanbase sees our OL as one of the best in the league.  I challenge that theory and suggest our weakest link is RG.  It is my opinion that if we fix the RG position, our OL goes from top 10 to possibly #1!  The KC playoff game in 2018, showed that our right side of the line was completely manhandled and the Chiefs saw this and took full advantage.  Smith our RT, had a pretty good yr up to this game but got exposed with all the great pass rushers KC had to offer and not sure if he was to blame or lack of help from RG?  2019, I couldn't help but notice JB facing lots of pressure and if not for his mobility, things would've been a lot worse.  This has me thinking with a less mobile qb in Rivers that do we need to upgrade our right side of the line?  I think that most will see that if we don't Rivers won't have that glory moment behind the best OL that most seem to say we have?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25877117/mark-glowinski-indianapolis-colts-reach-3-year-18m-extension

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't quite understand this extension unless if it was for a backup role?  If I see it and others see it that Glow is a weak spot, then why can't this staff see it?  It's obvious the rest of the line makes him look that much better than he is plus he is consistently getting beat which is mind boggling.  This line could easily be the best in the NFL and maybe the best ever is they upgraded the RG position.  If not, Rivers will quickly see for himself as he is not as nimble as JB or AL.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The right side of the oline is mediocre at best.  Glowinski was definitely bad last season and regressed from his 2018 season.  Luck’s mobility and JB’s ability to break tackles hid their deficiencies.  

It's quite obvious right even for the avg fan to see but yet our staff says differently?  In 2018, the KC Chiefs exposed him during the playoff game that had AL running for his life and seeing deer in the headlights look.  Heck, JB seemed to be running for his life most of the snaps but they can't see this?

10 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I didn't quite understand this extension unless if it was for a backup role?  If I see it and others see it that Glow is a weak spot, then why can't this staff see it?  It's obvious the rest of the line makes him look that much better than he is plus he is consistently getting beat which is mind boggling.  This line could easily be the best in the NFL and maybe the best ever is they upgraded the RG position.  If not, Rivers will quickly see for himself as he is not as nimble as JB or AL.

https://wp.me/p7aERI-5oE

You are kinda alone in your opinion. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

https://wp.me/p7aERI-5oE

You are kinda alone in your opinion. 

I kind of disagree and if any Colts fans that watched the games want to argue, I'm free.  That article was written right after his first yr which he was okay but how about in his second yr? He was consistently bad in 2019 and was clearly our weak link!  Did you watch any of the games last yr?

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Ha, that article was written right after his first yr which he was okay but how about in his second yr? He was consistently bad in 2019 and was clearly our weak link!  Did you watch any of the games last yr?

I never missed one game. 

Think what you want. We could use a LT before we need a RG.

You bring up the Kansas city game when you think he was exposed? 

If I am not mistaken he was playing injured in that game. 

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Rivers will get rid of the ball quick which is what he is good at. JB wasn’t. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Possibly the best OL ever?  C'mon man.  

I don't disagree (I don't think anyone disagrees) that Glow is the weakest link on the OL.  We have a first team all-pro at LG, our C is a pro-bowler and our LT is borderline pro-bowler.  It's no surprise our left side is stronger than our right side (you could probably plug Big Q into any OL in the league and he'd be a better LG than the RG on that team).  I still think Smith is better suited at RG than RT (though he is solid at RT).  I think the best way to really improve the OL (and prepare for the future) may be to draft a couple of solid OTs (one to potentially replace Castonzo and be able to start off the bat at RT, another who may need a year or two to develop as a starter and can back up both T positions).  Still not giving up on Clark, though I'm not counting on him.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Our O-line is already top 2-4 in the league.  

The amount of time JB held onto the ball caused lots of trouble.   Rivers has a quicker release.   There is not doubt that the O-line IS already one of the best in the league.  

• Like 2

The one area of the OL that needs improvement? Defending stunts. We were beat on a lot of those, particularly on the right side. I’m not sure if most were Glowinski’s fault or if it was a combination of him and/or Smith’s responsibility. Need to fix it, somehow.

• Like 1

I have the Colts taking at least one OL and probably on day 2. We just had our franchise QB retire due to not being protected. LT considered retirement.  And lost Haeg/Andrews. Neither QB on roster is very mobile..I expect them to address the OL depth. 

People are saying WR is so deep, it wouldn’t shock me if we went BPA OL first and then snagged a remaining WR next and him be a quality one still. 

• Like 1

I think Glowinski was a great acquisition by Ballard. He's possibly the teams strongest player, and brings a tough and nasty attitude to the line. He makes many outstanding blocks, game in and game out, many of which go unnoticed by most. sure he has struggled occasionally, here and there, and arguably has become the fans yearly "scapegoat". But finding a better G than Glow may not be as easy some think. Glowinski is not Indys biggest problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
36 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

I have the Colts taking at least one OL and probably on day 2. We just had our franchise QB retire due to not being protected. LT considered retirement.  And lost Haeg/Andrews. Neither QB on roster is very mobile..I expect them to address the OL depth. 

People are saying WR is so deep, it wouldn’t shock me if we went BPA OL first and then snagged a remaining WR next and him be a quality one still. 

This. It's been a glaring issue for awhile now.  

He might be the weakest link on the OL but that doesn't mean he's not a good player.  Look at our line.  How could he not be the weakest link?  The other four guys are pretty special.  He was good enough to ward off fan favorite Haag or anyone else in the position group.  We will most likely be drafting an OL and maybe even signing a released player but today it appears the coaches are fine with Glowinski.  I'm not losing any sleep worrying about our starting RG and the coaches probably aren't either.  

This is insane. Glow may be our "weak link" but he's not bad. He's still good. He just happens to be on a line otherwise filled with top 35 picks. That's an insane amount of draft capital. Being the weak link on a line like this is like being the poorest billionaire. Not really something to complain about.

• Like 5

Even the greatest O-line will allow pressure and/or sacks from other great D-lines. Both sides are paid to produce results. Sometimes the O-linemen win out, and other times, it's the D-line. During the Chiefs game, it was their D-line that won.

Given how good our O-line was in 2019, JB still was injured and missed time. Having a great O-line is a good way to protect your QB, but it will never be a guarantee, thus no matter how good an O-line is, it will never be above scrutiny. That's what we are seeing here.

Sure, we could use an upgrade at RG. The reason we likely won’t do that though is continuity. We know what we are getting with this line, and that is top 5, maybe top 3 production. If we get a new RG, then maybe we get better, but we also run the risk of getting worse. Keeping these guys together, they know how to play with each other. Not many teams can say that, and that’s why I think we should hold pat, at least for this season

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's definitely not alone. The right side of the line could be better, and Glowinski wasn't very good last year. 

He gave up three sacks as far as I can find last season. The only spot I see a problem is he did get 10 penalties. 

I guess when your line is rated top three in the league it could be considered a weak link if one of the guys is not all pro. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He gave up three sacks as far as I can find last season. The only spot I see a problem is he did get 10 penalties. 

I guess when your line is rated top three in the league it could be considered a weak link if one of the guys is not all pro. 

He's the definitive 'don't let good be the enemy of great' player on our roster. I appreciate him, we could do a lot worse, but RG and RT are the spots where the line could be better. RT is a young guy playing a new position, but RG is played by a 7th year guy who is just about average. I'm not trying to show him the door, but at the least, I'd like to see some serious competition at RG.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

RG is played by a 7th year guy

Glow was drafted by Seattle in 2015.

In 2018 PFF rated him the 12th best guard in the NFL. He didn't get rated that high last year.

I don't think he's as old nor as average as the picture you're painting.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's the definitive 'don't let good be the enemy of great' player on our roster. I appreciate him, we could do a lot worse, but RG and RT are the spots where the line could be better. RT is a young guy playing a new position, but RG is played by a 7th year guy who is just about average. I'm not trying to show him the door, but at the least, I'd like to see some serious competition at RG.

I agree with that comment 100%. 

I am pretty confident that Ballard will not overlook the trenches on both sides of the ball. With the high amount of skill players expected to be drafted early IMO there will be some good trench players available in later rounds. 

I was surprised to see Haeg not being resigned. He was our swiss army knife. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with that comment 100%. 

I am pretty confident that Ballard will not overlook the trenches on both sides of the ball. With the high amount of skill players expected to be drafted early IMO there will be some good trench players available in later rounds. 

I think Ballard will get a newer less expensive knife that can do the job.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think Ballard will get a newer less expensive knife that can do the job.

Doesn't one of the new additions to the roster from 53 to 55 have to be an O-line player? I think I seen that in an earlier thread? 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Glow was drafted by Seattle in 2015.

In 2018 PFF rated him the 12th best guard in the NFL. He didn't get rated that high last year.

I don't think he's as old nor as average as the picture you're painting.

Sixth year, then. And I understand everyone loves PFF ratings, but I'm not basing my evaluation of Glowinski's play on what PFF says. 

He's firmly average, IMO. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Glowinski had a Great PFF grade to start 2018. Luck was dumping the ball instantly and we were running the ball well. This was during our what was it 1-5 start. As soon as Andrew started throwing the ball more downfield and we went on a winning streak Glow went from a top 5 PFF rated guard down to 16th. So his finish a 16th was only because of our losing playing style to start the season. 
  He ended 2019 at 45th. He was/is very replaceable. 
 Smith is a great run blocker and VERY mediocre at pass blocking as a RT. A move inside might turn him into ... who knows what his limit is... even all-Pro as a guard is possible.

For anyone interested, here is an in depth article on Glowinski written just prior to the start of last season: 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/8/1/20749653/the-glow-up-how-mark-glowinski-revitalized-his-career

...A strong-bodied, nasty player, Glowinski is at his best getting downhill and using that strength early and often. Topping the bench press testing back at the 2015 combine, he’s a straight-up mauler...

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I wasn't.  Ballard wanted him back, but the guy wasn't going to get as good a shot at starting here as he thinks he will elsewhere, and I get that.... Even if you think he's a bit better than Glow, I think the team would have preferred Haeg as a backup since he was equally able at every position....

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sixth year, then. And I understand everyone loves PFF ratings, but I'm not basing my evaluation of Glowinski's play on what PFF says. 

He's firmly average, IMO. 

I agree.  But having your weakest link being average at his position is a good thing, right.  I mean in years past our worst O-linemen didn't sniff average.

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.  But having your weakest link being average at his position is a good thing, right.  I mean in years past our worst O-linemen didn't sniff average.

I'm not trying to have him cut. Just saying that we can do better than "average," and in line with the OP, there's still improvement that can be made on the OL. 

I definitely don't want to use past OLs as a bench mark. We had AC (who was far less consistent earlier in his career), and everyone else was awful. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not trying to have him cut. Just saying that we can do better than "average," and in line with the OP, there's still improvement that can be made on the OL. 

I definitely don't want to use past OLs as a bench mark. We had AC (who was far less consistent earlier in his career), and everyone else was awful. 

Omg remember Samson Satelle or whatever his name was.

49 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

For anyone interested, here is an in depth article on Glowinski written just prior to the start of last season: 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/8/1/20749653/the-glow-up-how-mark-glowinski-revitalized-his-career

Best suited for the run game which makes sense since we want to be a run first team.  All we need is another quality RB in this draft to get it done.  Hopefully a big in between the tackles inside runner. 

6 minutes ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Omg remember Samson Satelle or whatever his name was.

Jeff Linkenbach, Kyle DeVan, Mike McGlynn, Winston Justice, Johnathan Harrison, the ghost of Gosder Cherilus, a misadventure with Mewhort at RT, etc., etc. 

And we had Bruce Arians and Pep Hamilton calling plays for some of these people...

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Jeff Linkenbach, Kyle DeVan, Mike McGlynn, Winston Justice, Johnathan Harrison, the ghost of Gosder Cherilus, a misadventure with Mewhort at RT, etc., etc. 

And we had Bruce Arians and Pep Hamilton calling plays for some of these people...

Cherilus was at best serviceable for a year or 2. And Mewhort was a decent guard, but yeah. Those were dark days. Wasn't there even a guy who got benched after having an emotional break down and started crying in the middle of a game. I want to say Khaled Holmes maybe.