Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton

BornHoosier

I know many on here has heard my opinion on TY Hilton and that is if your not active, your not helping.  I love TY to death and when he's healthy is such a value as a 4th rd pick as I believe he is a true #1!  The last two yrs, his health has been one of the reasons for this team not competing deep into Jan.  2018, he actually played thru an injury but it seemed like a 10 wk no practice but play on Sunday which ultimately caught up to him vs the Chiefs.  2019, a more serious injury as he consistently couldn't play through it and the Colts couldn't win a game with his absence.  Now, before you rant on "Well he only actually missed a handful of games in his Career, let me remind you that the Colts lost every single game he missed and some that he played hurt.  2018, we had Luck to make up for but in 2019 we had no such "Luck":(!  Think about a 7-9 season that could have easily been a 10-6 or 11-5 with a healthy TY.  I remember telling my Colts buddies before the games that if TY was inactive, this game is about to get UGLY and sure enough it was a disaster.  Again, I love TY but I hope this staff is tired of losing when this guy doesn't play and drafts a replacement so our season doesn't come down to TY Hilton availability.

9 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I know many on here has heard my opinion on TY Hilton and that is if your not active, your not helping.  I love TY to death and when he's healthy is such a value as a 4th rd pick as I believe he is a true #1!  The last two yrs, his health has been one of the reasons for this team not competing deep into Jan.  2018, he actually played thru an injury but it seemed like a 10 wk no practice but play on Sunday which ultimately caught up to him vs the Chiefs.  2019, a more serious injury as he consistently couldn't play through it and the Colts couldn't win a game with his absence.  Now, before you rant on "Well he only actually missed a handful of games in his Career, let me remind you that the Colts lost every single game he missed and some that he played hurt.  2018, we had Luck to make up for but in 2019 we had no such "Luck":(!  Think about a 7-9 season that could have easily been a 10-6 or 11-5 with a healthy TY.  I remember telling my Colts buddies before the games that if TY was inactive, this game is about to get UGLY and sure enough it was a disaster.  Again, I love TY but I hope this staff is tired of losing when this guy doesn't play and drafts a replacement so our season doesn't come down to TY Hilton availability.

As deep as this draft is at WR I would take two.

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

As deep as this draft is at WR I would take two.

If I'm CB and what he witnessed the last two yrs when it comes to this WR Corps, you darn right I would do everything to break this curse!!  It's so bad that I remember reading where CB didn't understand the fans/media fascination over the wr?  Well Sir, its because it cost you the last two yrs which has me flabbergasted a man of such caliber doesn't see it?  Then I remembered, EVERY GM in this game has their flaw or kryptonite that I like to call it.  Polians = LB, Grigson = OL, Ballard so far = WR.  If you suck at evaluating such positions, please rely on your Scouts for Saviors Sakes.

23 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

The losses were team loses you can’t put the blame on TY being injured it’s apart of the game and comes with the territory. He’s been quite healthy throughout his career. He is going into his final year of his contract and I can almost guarantee you that a WR will be taken in the 2nd round. They are definitely thinking of life after TY so the WR core will be addressed. 

16 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

If I'm CB and what he witnessed the last two yrs when it comes to this WR Corps, you darn right I would do everything to break this curse!!  It's so bad that I remember reading where CB didn't understand the fans/media fascination over the wr?  Well Sir, its because it cost you the last two yrs which has me flabbergasted a man of such caliber doesn't see it?  Then I remembered, EVERY GM in this game has their flaw or kryptonite that I like to call it.  Polians = LB, Grigson = OL, Ballard so far = WR.  If you suck at evaluating such positions, please rely on your Scouts for Saviors Sakes.

Goodness gracious... 

I don’t think Ballard has been the Colts GM long enough to know if Ballard “sucks” at evaluating wide receivers.   Who has he missed on?

Cain got hurt, so did Fountain and so has Campbell.   Now that sucks for the Colts, but it doesn’t mean he’s bad at evaluating WR.    If you want to deal with Free Agents,  Funchess got hurt and so did Grant.   So again, bad luck, but not bad evaluation on the quality of the player.   Those are two different things. 

12 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

The losses were team loses you can’t put the blame on TY being injured it’s apart of the game and comes with the territory. He’s been quite healthy throughout his career. He is going into his final year of his contract and I can almost guarantee you that a WR will be taken in the 2nd round. They are definitely thinking of life after TY so the WR core will be addressed. 

If someone tells me our win total minus said player is Zero, I'd tend to address said problem is all I'm saying.  No, the blame should not be on TY but I can assure you it rest on CB shoulders for having a practice squad position group.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goodness gracious... 

I don’t think Ballard has been the Colts GM long enough to know if Ballard “sucks” at evaluating wide receivers.   Who has he missed on?

Cain got hurt, so did Fountain and so has Campbell.   Now that sucks for the Colts, but it doesn’t mean he’s bad at evaluating WR.    If you want to deal with Free Agents,  Funchess got hurt and so did Grant.   So again, bad luck, but not bad evaluation on the quality of the player.   Those are two different things. 

You just unlocked a clue to the mystery!  All Five of his drafted or FA additions to the group have all gotten hurt and add in TY this has become a serious problem to the position group that no QB or STAFF can overcome!!  It may not be his fault but If I were in his shoes, I would do everything in my power to end this curse.  If that meant the 2020 draft consisted of 2-3 wr's early on, NO Colts fan should complain!!  Thanks for the post and adding clarity to the problem.

13 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Goodness gracious... 

Every single one of them and not sure if your watching the Colts are some other team with this comment?  Availability is just as big as Talent and if all his selections seem to get hurt then lets draft/sign tougher players and stop relying on the hopefuls.  Every Batman needs a Robin and I ask who is our Batman and who is our Robin?  I'll wait.

We did beat Jax last year without TY.  I believe that's the win we've had without him since he's been a Colt.

That said, we should have beaten Pittsburgh.  We lost by 2 to Pittsburgh without Hilton in the roster, and Vinny shanked a late kick that would've likely given us a 1 point victory.  We lost to MIA by 4, but Vinny missed an XP, which would have made it a 3 point (and totally different game).  We also lost a close (3 point game) to TB in which Chase missed a 47 yard field goal that would have put us up 7 points fairly late in the game (38-31 -- instead the miss kept the game at 35-31 and we eventually lost 38-35).  That game, Winston passed for 456 yards with 4 TDs.  That game, IMO, was on the defense and kicking game - regardless of if TY was in the lineup or not, the odds of winning are not good when the opposing QB is throwing for 4 TDs with 450+ yards.

A lot of talk (and evidence) to suggest Brissett's play diminished after his leg injury.  Brissett certainly isn't Luck.  Our IDL was not very good last year, neither was our pass rush and our D gave up a very high completion percentage when being thrown on.  I don't think our team is that far away from being a legit contender.  The additions of Rivers and Buckner should help immensely.  Our secondary was very young last year, starting Ya-Sin and Willis as rookies and as the season went on relying more and more on Tell as a rookie.  Those three should all improve which should help our overall D.

Sure, TY is a vet on this team and obviously a leader of the team.  He is our best WR.  Losing him hurts, but a lot more pieces than TY were faulty last year.  TY is on the wrong side of 30, and I have a hard time believing his calf injuries won't continue to be somewhat of a problem.  He also is a tiny WR who relies primarily on speed and quickness, so minor injuries which slow him down just a little are more noticeable on him than they would be on a larger WR who could still use physicality to win matches if his speed is not 100%.  So yes, TY is a vital piece to this team, but he does need help.  Of course, injuries to Campbell and Funchess didn't help last year.  Our WR 1 for most of the year was Pascal, a young guy who was an undrafted FA playing really in his 2nd season (after spending most of 2017 on a practice squad and getting limited action in Indy in year 2018).  Ebron's play also dropped off significantly after a probowl year in 2018.

Long story short, yes, we need to give TY some more help (along with Rivers).  We should also probably be looking for TY's replacement as he's a FA after next year and I don't expect him to have many more (if any seasons) without some sort of nagging injury.  That said, his absence last year wasn't our only problem.  We could/should have won 2 games with him out of the lineup which we lost and kicking (Pitt and Tampa) and poor D (Tampa) cost us those games.  I believe our D is already significantly improved with some of the FA additions, which should be supplemented by growth and development of guys like Ya-Sin, Tell, Willis, Turay, Banogu, Okerere.  I don't think every loss without TY in the roster was simply because TY wasn't in the roster - there were other holes on last year's team that were exposed in those losses.

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We did beat Jax last year without TY.  I believe that's the win we've had without him since he's been a Colt.

That said, we should have beaten Pittsburgh.  We lost by 2 to Pittsburgh without Hilton in the roster, and Vinny shanked a late kick that would've likely given us a 1 point victory.  We lost to MIA by 4, but Vinny missed an XP, which would have made it a 3 point (and totally different game).  We also lost a close (3 point game) to TB in which Chase missed a 47 yard field goal that would have put us up 7 points fairly late in the game (38-31 -- instead the miss kept the game at 35-31 and we eventually lost 38-35).  That game, Winston passed for 456 yards with 4 TDs.  That game, IMO, was on the defense and kicking game - regardless of if TY was in the lineup or not, the odds of winning are not good when the opposing QB is throwing for 4 TDs with 450+ yards.

A lot of talk (and evidence) to suggest Brissett's play diminished after his leg injury.  Brissett certainly isn't Luck.  Our IDL was not very good last year, neither was our pass rush and our D gave up a very high completion percentage when being thrown on.  I don't think our team is that far away from being a legit contender.  The additions of Rivers and Buckner should help immensely.  Our secondary was very young last year, starting Ya-Sin and Willis as rookies and as the season went on relying more and more on Tell as a rookie.  Those three should all improve which should help our overall D.

Sure, TY is a vet on this team and obviously a leader of the team.  He is our best WR.  Losing him hurts, but a lot more pieces than TY were faulty last year.  TY is on the wrong side of 30, and I have a hard time believing his calf injuries won't continue to be somewhat of a problem.  He also is a tiny WR who relies primarily on speed and quickness, so minor injuries which slow him down just a little are more noticeable on him than they would be on a larger WR who could still use physicality to win matches if his speed is not 100%.  So yes, TY is a vital piece to this team, but he does need help.  Of course, injuries to Campbell and Funchess didn't help last year.  Our WR 1 for most of the year was Pascal, a young guy who was an undrafted FA playing really in his 2nd season (after spending most of 2017 on a practice squad and getting limited action in Indy in year 2018).  Ebron's play also dropped off significantly after a probowl year in 2018.

Long story short, yes, we need to give TY some more help (along with Rivers).  We should also probably be looking for TY's replacement as he's a FA after next year and I don't expect him to have many more (if any seasons) without some sort of nagging injury.  That said, his absence last year wasn't our only problem.  We could/should have won 2 games with him out of the lineup which we lost and kicking (Pitt and Tampa) and poor D (Tampa) cost us those games.  I believe our D is already significantly improved with some of the FA additions, which should be supplemented by growth and development of guys like Ya-Sin, Tell, Willis, Turay, Banogu, Okerere.  I don't think every loss without TY in the roster was simply because TY wasn't in the roster - there were other holes on last year's team that were exposed in those losses.

I kind of get your point about it wasn't all on TY but I guess that goes to show you that his presence on this team is just as great as Luck or Peyton's as all three were able to mask the deficiencies of a lame roster.  2-3 games lost due to this person or this person is costing us a division title and I hope this staff can see what they need to do to become the best of the best.  To hear this staff even entertain the idea of an AV extension makes me cringe and I'm waiting for this weekend to see if they learned anything from the last two yrs.  TBD

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Every single one of them and not sure if your watching the Colts are some other team with this comment?  Availability is just as big as Talent and if all his selections seem to get hurt then lets draft/sign tougher players and stop relying on the hopefuls.  Every Batman needs a Robin and I ask who is our Batman and who is our Robin?  I'll wait.

Forgive me, I don’t understand what you’re asking?    Batman?   Robin?

Sorry, you lost me.    If you were asking someone else and not me, I’ll gladly step aside and let you do your thing! 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Forgive me, I don’t understand what you’re asking?    Batman?   Robin?

Sorry, you lost me.    If you were asking someone else and not me, I’ll gladly step aside and let you do your thing! 

Please forgive me too, I'm just asking in General.  Most successful teams have a Batman and a Robin at the WR position, meaning a #1 and a #2 that wreak havoc.  A Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne for example.  What do we have?  At this point, we don't even have a Batman let alone a Robin which is eye popping that this staff continues to be blind to the issue.  A practice squad type position group will not get us to Tampa anytime soon!

14 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Please forgive me too, I'm just asking in General.  Most successful teams have a Batman and a Robin at the WR position, meaning a #1 and a #2 that wreak havoc.  A Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne for example.  What do we have?  At this point, we don't even have a Batman let alone a Robin which is eye popping that this staff continues to be blind to the issue.  A practice squad type position group will not get us to Tampa anytime soon!

Yes...   thank you, I understand your meaning now.    

And you’re right, it’s time to address the wide receiver position.   We need it, and the draft is providing both quality and quantity of talent rarely if ever seen before.  If Ballard waited until Day 3 to address the position it would be hugely disappointing.   Our Day 2 picks are really good.   At the top or middle of both rounds.   We are positioned perfectly.   The stars are aligned, and the time is right.   Let’s get it done!  

29 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I kind of get your point about it wasn't all on TY but I guess that goes to show you that his presence on this team is just as great as Luck or Peyton's as all three were able to mask the deficiencies of a lame roster.  2-3 games lost due to this person or this person is costing us a division title and I hope this staff can see what they need to do to become the best of the best.  To hear this staff even entertain the idea of an AV extension makes me cringe and I'm waiting for this weekend to see if they learned anything from the last two yrs.  TBD

Sorry, but a WR is almost never as valuable as a QB.  I like TY a lot -- but right now, I don't think he's a top 10 WR in the league (talent wise) behind at least DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, O'Dell Beckham Jr., Michael Thomas, Mike Evans, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Larry Fitzgerald, Jarvis Landry ... and arguable Mike Williams, AJ Green and several others.  As he ages and a couple young guys (e.g., DK Metcalf) get more experience, he'll probably slide further down the list.

Yes, TY is a good leader.  A great teammate.  When on the field and healthy he's reliable and consistent.  

That said, QBs like Peyton and Luck make decisions much quicker than Brissett (Luck was also much better at extending plays when necessary).  They also were able to make throws which Brissett can't make and are better at putting touch on balls in most instances.  Peyton and Luck made mediocre WRs look a lot better than they were and make everyone rally around them with the team always believing they could come back from any situation.  Brissett doesn't have those features. 

I do like TY, but to say his presence is as great as Peyton or Luck is a huge overstatement.  TY could take some more attention to him and in doing so, give so-so WRs a bit more opportunity, but to say his presence is as great as a great QB is something I can't get behind.

15 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

The funny thing is, the staff hasn't been 'blind' to the issue that we need to improve at WR.  They signed Grant, who got hurt.  They signed Funchess, who got hurt.  They spent a 2nd round on Campbell, who got hurt.  

Ballard inherited a pretty lousy team overall with lots of holes. Also, a lot of guys, specifically on D were not 'his' guys in terms of playing the 4-3 he wanted to implement here. He told us since day 1 he was going to build the trenches.  Our OL was terrible under Grigs.  Ballard in just 3 years has turned it into one of the best OL's in the league. He did this by drafting OL early (Q Nelson, B. Smith).  He's spent several draft picks on DL (Turay, Lewis, Banogu, Stewart, etc.).  He's given us a very solid LB crew with Walker, Leonard and now Okerere (potentially EJ Speed).  Most recently, he got Buckner for the DL and we still have Houston who he signed as a FA last year.

Ballard's almost done building the trenches (some depth pieces needed and replacements for Castonzo, Glowinski and Houston will be needed in the near future).  Now he can focus on the WR group.  I think he will.  He hasn't been 'blind' to it, though.  Unlucky with FA signings and draft picks getting injured, sure.. but 'blind', no. 

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Sorry, but a WR is almost never as valuable as a QB.  I like TY a lot -- but right now, I don't think he's a top 10 WR in the league (talent wise) behind at least DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, O'Dell Beckham Jr., Michael Thomas, Mike Evans, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Larry Fitzgerald, Jarvis Landry ... and arguable Mike Williams, AJ Green and several others.  As he ages and a couple young guys (e.g., DK Metcalf) get more experience, he'll probably slide further down the list.

Yes, TY is a good leader.  A great teammate.  When on the field and healthy he's reliable and consistent.  

That said, QBs like Peyton and Luck make decisions much quicker than Brissett (Luck was also much better at extending plays when necessary).  They also were able to make throws which Brissett can't make and are better at putting touch on balls in most instances.  Peyton and Luck made mediocre WRs look a lot better than they were and make everyone rally around them with the team always believing they could come back from any situation.  Brissett doesn't have those features. 

I do like TY, but to say his presence is as great as Peyton or Luck is a huge overstatement.  TY could take some more attention to him and in doing so, give so-so WRs a bit more opportunity, but to say his presence is as great as a great QB is something I can't get behind.

I get what your saying and maybe it was a slight overstatement but I will argue that his presence in the lineup WHEN healthy is night and day to this offense and team overall.  Obviously with Peyton & Luck being qb's it quite isn't the same influence but man it sure is close.  My bad for making such comparison but I strongly feel TY is a close second to what his presence means to this team.  Put it this way, w/o Peyton, Luck or TY, this Colts team has shown they cant beat some of the worst teams in the league but with their presence, they can beat the best teams in the league.  Nobody can argue this fact!

21 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

TY is a Batman when healthy so I disagree. He was just injured last year. He is a Robin in his sleep. IMO, TY is so underrated by a lot of Colts fans. He has been our best WR for years now.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

TY is a Batman when healthy so I disagree. He was just injured last year. He is a Robin in his sleep. IMO, TY is so underrated by a lot of Colts fans. He has been our best WR for years now.

No Colts fan will argue this fact but the last two yrs has shown that his superhero days may be behind him.  Batman may get hurt but never disappoints in the end and every superhero needs a sidekick to pick them up, where's ours?

Just now, BornHoosier said:

No Colts fan will argue this fact but the last two yrs has shown that his superhero days may be behind him.  Batman may get hurt but never disappoints in the end and every superhero needs a sidekick to pick them up, where's ours?

We don't have one that is why IMO we need to draft a WR at #34. Hopefully get lucky that the pick works out. That would help TY out a lot and maybe keep him fresher/healthier throughout the season. TY is older but still in his prime technically. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think you misunderstood our Hoosier friend.   TY can’t be both Batman AND Robin.   He’s one or the other.  

We need a second high quality WR to take pressure off TY and keep it on the defense.  I think that’s what our Hoosier friend was saying.  

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

The funny thing is, the staff hasn't been 'blind' to the issue that we need to improve at WR.  They signed Grant, who got hurt.  They signed Funchess, who got hurt.  They spent a 2nd round on Campbell, who got hurt.  

Ballard inherited a pretty lousy team overall with lots of holes. Also, a lot of guys, specifically on D were not 'his' guys in terms of playing the 4-3 he wanted to implement here. He told us since day 1 he was going to build the trenches.  Our OL was terrible under Grigs.  Ballard in just 3 years has turned it into one of the best OL's in the league. He did this by drafting OL early (Q Nelson, B. Smith).  He's spent several draft picks on DL (Turay, Lewis, Banogu, Stewart, etc.).  He's given us a very solid LB crew with Walker, Leonard and now Okerere (potentially EJ Speed).  Most recently, he got Buckner for the DL and we still have Houston who he signed as a FA last year.

Ballard's almost done building the trenches (some depth pieces needed and replacements for Castonzo, Glowinski and Houston will be needed in the near future).  Now he can focus on the WR group.  I think he will.  He hasn't been 'blind' to it, though.  Unlucky with FA signings and draft picks getting injured, sure.. but 'blind', no. 

Blind, unlucky or whatever you want to call it is still the same problem in the end.  Building trenches is great and smart but if this league has taught us anything is at the end of the day it boils down to having playmakers that can score you more points than the other guys.  Just ask SF and their great Defense.  Heck, look no further than our colts with the best OL in the game today and still had the worst offensive numbers in the game.  This is a passing league and you must have a qb and actual NFL caliber wr's.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you misunderstood our Hoosier friend.   TY can’t be both Batman AND Robin.   He’s one or the other.  

We need a second high quality WR to take pressure off TY and keep it on the defense.  I think that’s what our Hoosier friend was saying.  

Yeah I kind of thought that is what he meant that is why I posted my post above yours. It normally takes rookie WR's a year or 2 before they get good but maybe the rookie we take will just be good from the beginning? I hope for TY's sake.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We don't have one that is why IMO we need to draft a WR at #34. Hopefully get lucky that the pick works out. That would help TY out a lot and maybe keep him fresher/healthier throughout the season. TY is older but still in his prime technically. 

Question, what does drafting another wr have to do with helping keep TY fresher or healthier?  As long as TY is on the field, he is suspect to getting injured no matter who is lined up on the other side.  This is why I hoped we drafted 2 top notch wr's just in case TY does get hurt again.

Yeah I kind of thought that is what he meant that is why I posted my post above yours. It normally takes rookie WR's a year or 2 before they get good but maybe the rookie we take will just be good from the beginning? I hope for TY's sake.

To be honest and I haven't touched on this but I'm completely mind blown that we didn't sign a vet wr for this very purpose and now I'm worried.

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Question, what does drafting another wr have to do with helping keep TY fresher or healthier?  As long as TY is on the field, he is suspect to getting injured no matter who is lined up on the other side.  This is why I hoped we drafted 2 top notch wr's just in case TY does get hurt again.

Because he will get less targets, if our WR core improves than he won't be the main focus all the time and may even be able to sit a few plays.

Because he will get less targets, if our WR core improves than he won't be the main focus all the time and may even be able to sit a few plays.

But no matter if the ball is thrown to him he still should be running the same 110% that seems to get him injured correct?  His injuries are not contact related, its all been during cuts or that nature.  That is why I didn't understand your response.

But no matter if the ball is thrown to him he still should be running the same 110% that seems to get him injured correct?  His injuries are not contact related, its all been during cuts or that nature.  That is why I didn't understand your response.

He also is a little guy and does take a lot of hits. That takes a toll on anyone. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about trading for Alshon Jeffery? He still has good game. He just  turned 30 so still fairly young. He is tall and strong.

Exactly what this team needs IMO, a tall strong athletic receiver.  I was hoping for this type of player in a trade or FA plus a stud at 34 to really get over this WR nightmare.

3 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Exactly what this team needs IMO, a tall strong athletic receiver.  I was hoping for this type of player in a trade or FA plus a stud at 34 to really get over this WR nightmare.

Eagles are wanting to trade him, he actually had an ok last season. In 10 games he caught 40 passes and 4 TD's. He did have surgery on his foot but nothing career threatening.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He also is a little guy and does take a lot of hits. That takes a toll on anyone. 

The last two yrs his injuries have not been contact related tho.  Ankle and Quad issues are more of a muscle or tendon issue than taking a physical shot from the defender.

16 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Blind, unlucky or whatever you want to call it is still the same problem in the end.  Building trenches is great and smart but if this league has taught us anything is at the end of the day it boils down to having playmakers that can score you more points than the other guys.  Just ask SF and their great Defense.  Heck, look no further than our colts with the best OL in the game today and still had the worst offensive numbers in the game.  This is a passing league and you must have a qb and actual NFL caliber wr's.

We had the 7th best run game in the NFL and teams knew we were going to be running due to subpar QB play for a good chunk of the year along with injuries to key WR/TE including TY, Fountain, Funchess, Ebron, Campbell.  

Luck had better WRs most of his time here than we did last year.  He was running for his life half the time as he was receiving the ball from the center because our OL couldn't block.  He took a ton of punishment, which resulted in several serious injuries (some of this was on him for not sliding/running out of bounds/etc.) and ultimately cut a career on a HOF trajectory short.  

You can have all the playmakers in the world, but if your QB is getting rocked 2 seconds after the balls snapped, it'll lead to the QB turning the ball over (fumbling or interceptions, which I think was Rivers' problem last year) or getting hurt and relying on a backup who probably can't utilize those weapons to max capacity anyway.  

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eagles are wanting to trade him, he actually had an ok last season. In 10 games he caught 40 passes and 4 TD's. He did have surgery on his foot but nothing career threatening.

And that is with a qb that can't get the ball outside of the hashes!  It's no secret that Wentz loves the TE's but his receivers have the worst day or season with him at qb and Ertz has his best.  Once Foles came in, all of a sudden Ashlon was consistently 100+ yds and 1-2 td's.  I was paying close attention to this as I think Wentz is overrated.  Ashlon would be a steal for Rivers and this Colts team for sure.

And that is with a qb that can't get the ball outside of the hashes!  It's no secret that Wentz loves the TE's but his receivers have the worst day or season with him at qb and Ertz has his best.  Once Foles came in, all of a sudden Ashlon was consistently 100+ yds and 1-2 td's.  I was paying close attention to this as I think Wentz is overrated.  Ashlon would be a steal for Rivers and this Colts team for sure.

Yeah I just read where it said Jeffery's recovery may take up to 7 to 9 months but he had surgery in December. So by September he should be 100%. That could be why the Eagles want to move him but IMO that would still be a good pickup for us. When it comes to Wentz, it seems like since his injury he hasn't been the same. He is above average, sometimes good but he was playing great before he got injured.

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We had the 7th best run game in the NFL and teams knew we were going to be running due to subpar QB play for a good chunk of the year along with injuries to key WR/TE including TY, Fountain, Funchess, Ebron, Campbell.  

Luck had better WRs most of his time here than we did last year.  He was running for his life half the time as he was receiving the ball from the center because our OL couldn't block.  He took a ton of punishment, which resulted in several serious injuries (some of this was on him for not sliding/running out of bounds/etc.) and ultimately cut a career on a HOF trajectory short.  

You can have all the playmakers in the world, but if your QB is getting rocked 2 seconds after the balls snapped, it'll lead to the QB turning the ball over (fumbling or interceptions, which I think was Rivers' problem last year) or getting hurt and relying on a backup who probably can't utilize those weapons to max capacity anyway.  

Lucks Batman couldn't even practice for 10 wks of the season but hobbled into the lineup come Sunday.  Still was able to make the playoffs but come KC, TY spent all his energy beating Houston and the ankle didn't have anything left for KC.  If Luck only had a Robin things may have ended differently.

Lucks Batman couldn't even practice for 10 wks of the season but hobbled into the lineup come Sunday.  Still was able to make the playoffs but come KC, TY spent all his energy beating Houston and the ankle didn't have anything left for KC.  If Luck only had a Robin things may have ended differently.

KC was really great, showed they were great by winning the SB in 2019. We played a great team on the road. When I look at that KC game, that may have been the worse game our O.Line played all season. O.Line was great the last half of the season but in that game Luck was pressured a lot.

If Luck only had a decent OL that could keep him upright through the Grigs' years, he may still be our QB.  Our team had a lot of deficiencies that year, our defense gave up 180 yards rushing and 278 yards passing that day against KC and we didn't win the turnover battle.  They outplayed us and probably would have regardless of if we had another good WR on the field.  

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

If Luck only had a decent OL that could keep him upright through the Grigs' years, he may still be our QB.  Our team had a lot of deficiencies that year, our defense gave up 180 yards rushing and 278 yards passing that day against KC and we didn't win the turnover battle.  They outplayed us and probably would have regardless of if we had another good WR on the field.  

Luck had the same OL that were all calling the best in the League today correct?  I kid as I understand these statements mainly due to Quenton Nelson, but the KC playoff game told me that Glow is a weakness that must be addressed if we truly want to have the best OL in the game and lets not forget that his counterpart, Smith also had his worst game of his rookie season.  The right side of the line got abused and not even Luck could save us so your prob correct in saying that it wouldn't matter if we had Superman, Batman, Ironman, Hulk or Capt America at WR.

Archived