Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King Colts not hot on the trail of Love

1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

Good, I’ve said it multiple times before, if we did want him, it would cost us a pretty penny to move up to around 20, because that’s where he’ll be. I’d much rather wait until 2021 for our QB over trading up for such a hit or miss player

Trading up to 22 would only cost 75.

I'm perfectly fine losing a 3rd for Love.

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Hope it’s not Malik hooker. Then you’d probably be changing again next week

Nah, I usually put my favorite prospect as my avatar during draft season and then after the draft I put my favorite Colts pick as my avatar until the following year's draft season.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've made my peace with it already. I don't expect us to get Love or any other QB high this year. Lets see...

It’s going to be sad when he goes to another team. I just hope ballard is right. I will be ok if he goes top 15. Where it will hurt the most is if he is there at 34 and we pass on him. 

I am beginning to think taking Fromm would be ok because like Gordon it would still give us a backup option for the future.

Early on, Love was mocked to go within the top 10. Now he's mocked to go anywhere from 10 to high 20s? What would it take for Ballard to move up for him, Both 2nd round picks? I'm kinda doubting he will make it passed Miami's multiple 1st round picks or even New England at 23.

MINN picks at 22, just ahead of NE, then NO.  The draft value chart shows that pick 22 is not as valuable as you might think, 780 pts.  It only takes us giving up pick 75 (215 pts) and 34 (560 pts) to trade up just ahead of NE.  780 = 775.

But there might be a bidding war for that pick, it might take more.  I think MINN picks 3 picks later too so they might trade out.

Happiness will be when someone else makes the mistake of drafting Love and I don't have to read Colts fan wanting him anymore.  Forget about him having a different coach last year.  In games against top 25 teams, he was 0-4.  He is playing in the MAC and puts on terrible numbers.  An NFL caliber QB should be doing more than that, regardless of the coach changing.  Mark my words, the Colts passing on Love will be the best thing that ever happened to the Colts.  He will be a terrible bust.  Again, I would rather see the Colts pick Anthony Gordon.  Worst case, he is a backup.  But he is low cost, high reward.

36 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think there will be a lot of tears on this forum when Chris B shows them no Love.

I have come to the realization he won’t be a colt. If he goes too 15 it won’t hurt. If he is there at 34 and we pass that might be hard to take. What will be sad is he falls in the first is if he goes to NE or NO. I will cry lol. I just hope ballard made the right decision to pass on him if he is there at 34.  If we get a guy like Gordon later that will make me happy. He throws from a lot of different angles like Love and fits the offense.

King is not the typical media who is trying to drive up the hype for players like Love.  He is connected and likes to be correct, so there is no reason for him to put that out there if he thinks he is being used as a smokescreen by one of his trusted connections.

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

King is not the typical media who is trying to drive up the hype for players like Love.  He is connected and likes to be correct, so there is no reason for him to put that out there if he thinks he is being used as a smokescreen by one of his trusted connections.

No one is questioning that what he was told is true. The question would be did the person who told him lie and using it as a smokescreen. We will find everything out soon.

I have a feeling the second round for us is going to be really underwhelming. Ballard will probably take a tackle and trade the other 2nd lol. Once again we won’t go after a Pittman or a Mimms and and they will be studs next year while our WR struggle.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is questioning that what he was told is true. The question would be did the person who told him lie and using it as a smokescreen. We will find everything out soon.

I have a feeling the second round for us is going to be really underwhelming. Ballard will probably take a tackle and trade the other 2nd lol. Once again we won’t go after a Pittman or a Mimms and and they will be studs next year while our WR struggle.

You misunderstood me. King expects his connections to tell him the truth. He would lose trust in them if they start using him for smokescreens. 

By the way, King was one of the first to report his sources said Rivers was coming to Indy.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Who knows if this is a smokescreen. I do like it though. The more you here things like this the more they could be wanting him. I’d anyone finds where he said this can you post it.

If 

3 teams that could break up our "love" affair.

Pats | Packers | Raiders

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have come to the realization he won’t be a colt. If he goes too 15 it won’t hurt. If he is there at 34 and we pass that might be hard to take. What will be sad is he falls in the first is if he goes to NE or NO. I will cry lol. I just hope ballard made the right decision to pass on him if he is there at 34.  If we get a guy like Gordon later that will make me happy. He throws from a lot of different angles like Love and fits the offense.

“hurt”... “hard to take”...“sad”...“cry”... “happy” — all in one paragraph.  george c scott salute GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment :woah:

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I've made my peace with it already. I don't expect us to get Love or any other QB high this year. Lets see...

I felt like that was made obvious when he traded #13. For the last month we've kind of been talking our way into believing that he'd still find a way to come away with Love or another of the top five QBs, but it's unlikely. 

That said, I've rewatched a lot of these QBs over the last few weeks. Love has some special traits. I'm over all the people talking about college stats and win/loss records, who have probably never watched him play. His footwork, his throwing ability, and his work through progressions are all high level. He's athletic, even twitchy at times.

His anticipation and his accuracy aren't where they need to be. The accuracy deal is weird, because his footwork is really good; but his upper body mechanics are inconsistent, so lots of reps and work with a pro level guy to tighten up his motion will help there. But his anticipation and tendency to hesitate and double clutch -- and sometimes seeing ghosts in the second level and in the pocket -- will undermine his accuracy. 

And he's a gunslinger, so he's going to make some amazing plays, and he's going to have some "what the..." turnovers. 

But any coaching staff that isn't afraid of a challenge would be salivating over a prospect like Love. Bottom line. His traits and playmaking are phenomenal. It would be awesome if Ballard found a way to get him, but I think there's less than a 5% chance it happens.

46 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Ballard is  going to draft Fromm or hurts. You heard it hear first.

Ummm, dont think you can claim first on that one, dog. :D

However, should they choose Luton, I can claim, "You heard it here, first". 

I am thinking Eason or Luton if they take one at all. 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They are too busy courting  James morgan 

For one, I don't believe ANYTHING I hear or read about the Colts and potential prospects this time of year.  Why would you give away your interest?  

To me, there isn't any one single player I want the most nor any I wouldn't want.  For me, it's about value.  Would I want a player like Love?  Sure.  But not in the 1st round.  Would I want a player like Morgan?  Sure, but not before round 4.  Hurts?  Not before round 3.  All prospects have the potential to make this team better but there are proper places for each player.  The NFL is a business and its players are employees.  As with any business it's a matter of WORTH, and the matter of worth will vary depending on whom you ask.  Right now, the only view that matters is Chris Ballard's view.  If he believes Love is worth drafting, then I'm on board.  If not, so be it.  

9 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Happiness will be when someone else makes the mistake of drafting Love and I don't have to read Colts fan wanting him anymore.  Forget about him having a different coach last year.  In games against top 25 teams, he was 0-4.  He is playing in the MAC and puts on terrible numbers.  An NFL caliber QB should be doing more than that, regardless of the coach changing.  Mark my words, the Colts passing on Love will be the best thing that ever happened to the Colts.  He will be a terrible bust.  Again, I would rather see the Colts pick Anthony Gordon.  Worst case, he is a backup.  But he is low cost, high reward.

:agree:

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

For one, I don't believe ANYTHING I hear or read about the Colts and potential prospects this time of year.  Why would you give away your interest?  

To me, there isn't any one single player I want the most nor any I wouldn't want.  For me, it's about value.  Would I want a player like Love?  Sure.  But not in the 1st round.  Would I want a player like Morgan?  Sure, but not before round 4.  Hurts?  Not before round 3.  All prospects have the potential to make this team better but there are proper places for each player.  The NFL is a business and its players are employees.  As with any business it's a matter of WORTH, and the matter of worth will vary depending on whom you ask.  Right now, the only view that matters is Chris Ballard's view.  If he believes Love is worth drafting, then I'm on board.  If not, so be it.  

That pretty much sums it up for sure.

The Love issue is personally I am not too high on him. The thing is Ballard looks at players different than a fan. If he thought Love could develop into a good QB he could very well draft him if he got the chance. Does he think of him well enough to trade up for him if he thinks he won't be there at pick 34?

We wait a see. That's all any one of can do. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I felt like that was made obvious when he traded #13. For the last month we've kind of been talking our way into believing that he'd still find a way to come away with Love or another of the top five QBs, but it's unlikely. 

That said, I've rewatched a lot of these QBs over the last few weeks. Love has some special traits. I'm over all the people talking about college stats and win/loss records, who have probably never watched him play. His footwork, his throwing ability, and his work through progressions are all high level. He's athletic, even twitchy at times.

His anticipation and his accuracy aren't where they need to be. The accuracy deal is weird, because his footwork is really good; but his upper body mechanics are inconsistent, so lots of reps and work with a pro level guy to tighten up his motion will help there. But his anticipation and tendency to hesitate and double clutch -- and sometimes seeing ghosts in the second level and in the pocket -- will undermine his accuracy. 

And he's a gunslinger, so he's going to make some amazing plays, and he's going to have some "what the..." turnovers. 

But any coaching staff that isn't afraid of a challenge would be salivating over a prospect like Love. Bottom line. His traits and playmaking are phenomenal. It would be awesome if Ballard found a way to get him, but I think there's less than a 5% chance it happens.

Yep, players with the traits Love has rarely drop past the top 10-15 picks. I completely understand being apprehensive about his decision-making and inconsistent mechanics. What I don't understand is the complete and utter dismissal of his talent even on this board. I have no idea what people are seeing when they are watching him. What are they thinking when even in this thread they are like - "good, I never wanted him so I don't want him even in R2". What are they seeing when they say he doesn't go through progressions or doesn't read the field? That's so obviously false. You can even see his head moving thought progressions all the time, you can see him looking off safeties. When he hits his marks, his mechanics are picture perfect. He is high end throwing talent. This is NOT just about velocity and arm strength. This is about ability to throw with varying velocity, varying arc, throwing with touch, throwing with power, throwing from varying arm slots, throwing off platform or on the move, throwing with completely disrupted and destroyed pocket. There were spiral RPM measurements posted around the Senior bowl that showed him being in a league of his own among the QBs there too. Not that you need that to see the ball he throws is extremely tight and solid.

There are things to work on in his game for sure - both mechanically (consistency) and mentally , but I completely agree that most coaches that have any confidence in their own ability to coach a QB should be itching to get a guy like this in their QB room and try to mold him. Just want to point out again that Love is the youngest from all the QBs in this draft and has had inconsistent coaching so far and when he actually had good coaching he performed very well. This is why I want him on the Colts. It's not just that I like his talent, it's also that I believe in Reich and the rest of the coaching staff's ability to work on his problems and fix them in due time.

Well, we had the draft capital to get him, but we traded it away.  That should tell us all we need to know about our intentions.  If we were really hot on him, but thought 13 was a little too high, we woulda waited until draft day and traded back a little - like, to the early twenties.  Heck, the position’s important enough that we coulda just taken him at 13.  But instead we trade away 13 and then desperately try to trade back up into the twenties?  I don’t see it...

Archived