Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Michael Lombardi Malik Hooker available for trade

PeterBowman

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that would be interesting. Doubt it happens. Look hooker has been up and down but I hope Ballard isn’t ready to give up on him. Don’t think we’d get much at this point. Would just create another position of need. That 2017 draft class is quickly diminishing. 

Wouldn’t be too shocking. I don’t dislike Malik, enjoyed his improved tackling this year, but I understand why Ballard may be trying to field offers.

Of course, kinda weird that this leaks and nothing about the Buckner trade leaked even though it was months in the making.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Curious if they are looking for a pick OR a player. Probably won't get much of a pick back...maybe 3rd rounder.

Ballard said that he wants more picks. That could mean several things.   He may want an extra pick to use to trade up and get Love.  It would take a 3rd to move up to SFs 31.  Trading Hooker to get everybody's beloved QB of the future might be the price to pay.

Its easier to replace a top 15 safety in the next few drafts than it will be to find a QB, IMO.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ballard said that he wants more picks. That could mean several things.   He may want an extra pick to use to trade up and get Love.  It would take a 3rd to move up to SFs 31.  Trading Hooker to get everybody's beloved QB of the future might be the price to pay.

Its easier to replace a top 15 safety in the next few drafts than it will be to find a QB, IMO.

I'm also thinking Ballard wants more picks but would he find a decent pick for Hooker? He's a good prospect with plenty of talent. I wonder if Ballard is concerned about Hooker's health? Could be possible bait to trade up go grab a player like you said. I'm kinda wondering if Love would make it passed New England? They have shown a tendency of drafting QBs in earlier rounds. (Garoppolo was a 2nd rounder, Brissett was a 3rd rounder). Makes you wonder.

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Curious if they are looking for a pick OR a player. Probably won't get much of a pick back...maybe 3rd rounder.

I can't see a team giving up a 3rd. Maybe a late 4th ... but JMO.  I would guess this doesn't happen . I don't think this report makes good sense unless Tell is being moved to safety . That IMO would be the only way .

24 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Wouldn’t be too shocking. I don’t dislike Malik, enjoyed his improved tackling this year, but I understand why Ballard may be trying to field offers.

Of course, kinda weird that this leaks and nothing about the Buckner trade leaked even though it was months in the making.

It's a bit jarring at first glance...because it's his FIRST draft pick as a GM. But I don't think it's all that shocking. The "keep your own" motto makes for a good soundbite...but it's not practical. 

Ballard knows he has to be selective in who he retains...and try to extract potential long-term value out of those he doesn't. It's a delicate balance...and one all teams (good and bad) must face.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I can't see a team giving up a 3rd. Maybe a late 4th ... but JMO.  I would guess this doesn't happen . I don't think this report makes good sense unless Tell is being moved to safety . That IMO would be the only way .

That is excellent point about Tell. I have been very vocal about wanting Tell in a S role long-term. Given his height, length and range...he should be patrolling somewhere...it's his best fit. However...he's not a SS...the so his S spot is currently ocupado by Hooker.

So IF they did in fact move Hooker...it would open up that spot. He might not be as talented as Hooker...but he's as tall and long...and likely even more of an athlete.

And moving Tell to S would also open up a CB spot...which could be addressed in the draft.

9 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Creating more problems than we’re fixing if we trade hooker. Maybe we’re about to sign berry and draft a safety?? Just doesn’t make much sense unless you can get a decent pick for hooker. 

I agree.  Straight up trade simply means that we would have to find a starting FS.  Doesn't seem like it would be a good trade.  It makes more sense to keep Hooker, unless there is already a plan to replace him.

It could be that Ballard might really like a player in the draft too.  Winfield, Jr is a nice player.

Or use any pick for Hooker to recoup another pick you give up to move up for a QB.

39 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

For a guy as young and talented as Hooker, I would hope for at least a 2nd back for him. He was a high 1st rounder just a few years ago. 

Could replace him with a guy like Jeremy Chinn or Antoine Winfield Jr. in round 2/3 with that added pick. 

24 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's a bit jarring at first glance...because it's his FIRST draft pick as a GM. But I don't think it's all that shocking. The "keep your own" motto makes for a good soundbite...but it's not practical. 

Ballard knows he has to be selective in who he retains...and try to extract potential long-term value out of those he doesn't. It's a delicate balance...and one all teams (good and bad) must face.

It’s practical if you draft the right guys.  Polian used it to build a super bowl champion here and a team that rolled out of bed and won 12 games a year for a decade.  He didn’t keep every player he drafted though and let some good ones walk.  It means keeping your core guys.  I think what we are seeing is that Ballard doesn’t feel Hooker is a core guy.

Not surprised at all.  If I'm Ballard I would seriously be considering trading next years 1st or 2nd rd pick as well to get some more quality players in this years draft.  Why?  We don't even know what kind of college football season we will have this year.  Will it be played, delayed, shortened?  No one knows.  It make make sense to make some moves with one of those picks this year.  For example would the Jets take Hooker and next years 1st. for Adams?  There are many possibilities out there with those picks and a few of our players.  If Ballard wants to be aggressive and win it this year I would suggest that trading players along with next years picks should be on the table.   By all reports it looks like Hooker and Wilson are available.  Throw in a pick in next years draft and we could really be in a position to secure some quality talent for this year.  JMO.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That gets you less picks in the long run and Ballard has also said he’s not going to force the QB pick in the draft.  Between that and signing Rivers and keeping Jacoby I don’t think Ballard is that excited about this QB class other than a couple of guys who were probably going to be gone long before the 13th pick.  

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

For a guy as young and talented as Hooker, I would hope for at least a 2nd back for him. He was a high 1st rounder just a few years ago. 

Could replace him with a guy like Jeremy Chinn or Antoine Winfield Jr. in round 2/3 with that added pick. 

What u want and what u get r 2 different things. Remember the Colts r trading him for a reason. By opening him up for a trade,they r basically telling the league he has not met their expectations. It is not because of salary or attitude, as far as we know.  The league doesn't care if he was drafted #1. It is his current value that they r considering. Plus, he struggled last year and Ballard basically said he wasn't happy with his play.  Now all that considered, those factors rarely garner a 2nd rounder.  2107 first three picks: Hooker, Wilson and Basham.

19 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That is excellent point about Tell. I have been very vocal about wanting Tell in a S role long-term. Given his height, length and range...he should be patrolling somewhere...it's his best fit. However...he's not a SS...the so his S spot is currently ocupado by Hooker.

So IF they did in fact move Hooker...it would open up that spot. He might not be as talented as Hooker...but he's as tall and long...and likely even more of an athlete.

And moving Tell to S would also open up a CB spot...which could be addressed in the draft.

Yeah.. agree about Tell. Plus the fact that they will probably have to over pay for him in 2021. Why overpay for a guy that is injury prone and plays middle of the road. I do think those that are hoping for a 3rd will be disappointed.

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

That's the hope...but probably easier said than done. He only has two years of control (including his 5th year option)...and has never lived up to the hype.

It's pretty similar to the Howard situation in TB if you ask me. You've got an obviously talented player...who has had some injury issues...and whose skillset (for whatever reason) isn't being used to the fullest. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What u want and what u get r 2 different things. Remember the Colts r trading him for a reason. By opening him up for a trade,they r basically telling the league he has not met their expectations. It is not because of salary or attitude, as far as we know.  The league doesn't care if he was drafted #1. It is his current value that they r considering. Plus, he struggled last year and Ballard basically said he wasn't happy with his play.  Now all that considered, those factors rarely garner a 2nd rounder.  2107 first three picks: Hooker, Wilson and Basham.

Yes he struggled and regressed some from the 2018 season. But again it could be a scheme fit and that he would be more successful elsewhere. The fact he is only 23 or so, and still has the ball hawking talent he possesses, would still make him attractive to other teams who has defenses he would fit into. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Yes he struggled and regressed some from the 2018 season. But again it could be a scheme fit and that he would be more successful elsewhere. The fact he is only 23 or so, and still has the ball hawking talent he possesses, would still make him attractive to other teams who has defenses he would fit

I know what u r saying ,but I just think the other team has the high ground. Now when u r getting rid of say a Buckner or Adams, the team trading still has leverage.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I could see Hooker for Howard straight up or Hooker and next years 1st for Adams.  Both work for me. 

I would maybe do Hooker for OJ Howard and their 4th rounder if Ballard believes Howard would succeed here. 

Not interested at all in trading next year's 1st and Hooker for Adams. 

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s practical if you draft the right guys.  Polian used it to build a super bowl champion here and a team that rolled out of bed and won 12 games a year for a decade.  He didn’t keep every player he drafted though and let some good ones walk.  It means keeping your core guys.  I think what we are seeing is that Ballard doesn’t feel Hooker is a core guy.

A few things might come into play, though.

First, I don't buy the rumor. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, but the timing of this coming out is odd, and this is lying season.

Second, there are some changes to the comp pick formula. I'm not sure what they are or when they'll go into effect, but those changes might make some GMs be a little more proactive in getting value for players they don't intend to sign long term. And the Colts could get better value, sooner, by trading Hooker, than by letting him walk for a comp pick.

Third, it seems like safety is one of the strengths of this draft, especially in the 25-50ish pick range. 

Fourth, there seems to be a refocus on players who stay on the field. Hooker has not been that kind of player so far, and it's probably not likely that he becomes that kind of player.

So, all this together makes me think that IF the Colts trade Hooker, it will be about maximizing value for a player that they don't want to make a long term commitment to and that they feel they can replace to a reasonable degree this offseason.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

A few things might come into play, though.

First, I don't buy the rumor. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, but the timing of this coming out is odd, and this is lying season.

Second, there are some changes to the comp pick formula. I'm not sure what they are or when they'll go into effect, but those changes might make some GMs be a little more proactive in getting value for players they don't intend to sign long term. And the Colts could get better value, sooner, by trading Hooker, than by letting him walk for a comp pick.

Third, it seems like safety is one of the strengths of this draft, especially in the 25-50ish pick range. 

Fourth, there seems to be a refocus on players who stay on the field. Hooker has not been that kind of player so far, and it's probably not likely that he becomes that kind of player.

So, all this together makes me think that IF the Colts trade Hooker, it will be about maximizing value for a player that they don't want to make a long term commitment to and that they feel they can replace to a reasonable degree this offseason.

What you said makes the most sense. Every part of it

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Looks like teams have been calling not that that the colts are trying to trade him.

If other teams are calling then that may jack his price up some

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

got a notice on Instagram about that....cold be interesting. 

I mean it makes a ton of sense. Malik hasn't been on the field a full 16 games since being here. Ballard probably doesn’t see him here long term so why not put him out there for draft capital. See if you can get something in return for him. After all IMO I don’t think he is suited as a Tampa 2 safety he is more of the single high ball hawk type of safety. Scheme could also be playing into this move as well. 

Chris stated he would like more picks for this years draft. However, I don't think he meant that he would give away players just to have a draft pick. Regardless on your stance of Hooker, when healthy he is a good player with assets that you can't teach. Down side when playing not 100% he game is flawed. Still I don't see Chris giving him away for any draft pick think it would have to be something good in return. 

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

Creating more problems than we’re fixing if we trade hooker. Maybe we’re about to sign berry and draft a safety?? Just doesn’t make much sense unless you can get a decent pick for hooker. 

They would be Fixing several problems. Upgrading the position, dumping him to someone that wants him when they can get 2 years out of him for reasonable money if he pans out(value). And not guaranteeing his year 5 looks bad for him and team spirit.
Of course we are going to draft a safety. And Berry, if healthy should be a significan upgrade to Hooker. Hooker just doesn't make plays in our D.
 There has to be 3-4 Safeties they are very interested in that could be had in the back half of rd 2 and into rd 3. Let's hope someone out there believes he can help them. Really help them.

he rarely gets targeted directly but teams didnt need to do that to beat the colts either.  doubt he will be able to earn a big contract playing in a cover 2

he will probably want to test the free agent market anyway, makes sense to look for a trade now

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he rarely gets targeted directly but teams didnt need to do that to beat the colts either.  doubt he will be able to earn a big contract playing in a cover 2

he will probably want to test the free agent market anyway, makes sense to look for a trade now

I'm all for trading  him

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

They would be Fixing several problems. Upgrading the position, dumping him to someone that wants him when they can get 2 years out of him for reasonable money if he pans out(value). And not guaranteeing his year 5 looks bad for him and team spirit.
Of course we are going to draft a safety. And Berry, if healthy should be a significan upgrade to Hooker. Hooker just doesn't make plays in our D.
 There has to be 3-4 Safeties they are very interested in that could be had in the back half of rd 2 and into rd 3. Let's hope someone out there believes he can help them. Really help them.

Then I’d have to question Ballard for using a high pick on a player that you dump 3 years later for a 4th round pick or so. It doesn’t make any sense. Malik hasn’t been great but has shown flashes. Don’t feel like restarting at another position when we already need playmakers on offense. 

Imagination kicking in:

First, instead of discounting the rumors, lets assume the rumors we have heard have actual substance. Ballard is interested in Love, is interested in trading Wilson and Hooker, and is interested in "wanting more picks" (didn't say that he would use them all to draft more players).

Pick 34 and pick 75 gives us pick 22, in terms of the draft value chart, just ahead of NE and NO.  Ballard could be wanting to trade up to 22 to get Love.  Or to 31 to get Love if he sees Love fall.

Trading both Wilson and Hooker would get him a mid round pick that can be traded, or to recoup if we trade 75.

In this imaginary world; we gave up 13, 34, Hooker, and Wilson and got Buckner and Love in return.

And now we're sitting with our full compliment of draft picks, starting with 44. 

I like the looks of that very much.  The downside is that we are down a starting FS for the immediate season, but Tell and Odum can probably handle it okay for the time being.  Its easier to find a starting FS in the next few drafts than it is to find a future starting QB, IMO. 

Archived