Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers putting several players on trade block

Tartt, is a good safety. Good safeties are hard to find, I'd give up a 5th rounder for him, especially one that has experience playing in a similar defensive scheme.

The others, we have to develop what we have. Dee Ford can be a one trick pony without many alternate moves, so again, develop the young pass rushers we have to do more than that. Goodwin, pass, with a WR deep draft. Kwon Alexander, LBs are probably the best defensive positional group on our D, so pass. 

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tartt, is a good safety. Good safeties are hard to find, I'd give up a 5th rounder for him, especially one that has experience playing in a similar defensive scheme.

The others, we have to develop what we have. Dee Ford can be a one trick pony without many alternate moves, so again, develop the young pass rushers we have to do more than that. Goodwin, pass, with a WR deep draft. Kwon Alexander, LBs are probably the best defensive positional group on our D, so pass. 

What would Tartt do with us?  I'm sure they are expecting Khari Willis to start so what's left other than a backup?  Isnt Tartt used to starting? Just curious about what your view is.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

More like incredibly easy to find, safety is one positions that you can find good players in later rounds.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

What would Tartt do with us?  I'm sure they are expecting Khari Willis to start so what's left other than a backup?  Isnt Tartt used to starting? Just curious about what your view is.

True. I was thinking along the lines of, if Geathers were let go, I am not sure if we have 3 good safeties to play big nickel along with Hooker and Willis. But you are probably right, we can find that 3rd safety in the draft.

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. I was thinking along the lines of, if Geathers were let go, I am not sure if we have 3 good safeties to play big nickel along with Hooker and Willis. But you are probably right, we can find that 3rd safety in the draft.

I dont see Geathers name on the roster anymore

32 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I've gotten the impression before that the 49ers ownership wasn't all that financially secure.  Which factored into their low payrolls before Garoppolo.

How so? They are a top 5 NFL franchise according to value...and just went to the Super Bowl. I can’t imagine they lose money on the venture.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think Willis is almost better suited to be 'big nickel'.  He's a sure tackler and, IMO, better in the box than he is deep.  

I don't mind Odum or Milligan as defensive safeties, but I think they're both better on STs.  One guy who I really like from this draft who most mocks typically have going late first-mid second is Grant Delpit from LSU.  At 6'2" 213 lbs, he has the size and physicality to be play 'big nickel' and I think he may be a better overall S than Willis.  If he's still on the board come 34, I'd not be shocked in the least if Ballard pulled the trigger and went with him, despite most fans wanting WR, TE, edge, OL, and CB more than S. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I dont see Geathers name on the roster anymore

He signed a 1 year deal after last year.  Ballard was pretty straightforward about it, calling it a 'prove it' deal to the media on several occasions.  He said he loved Geathers as a leader, but he needed Geathers to stay healthy and improve his play.  Geathers only missed 1 game last year, but his play certainly was not stellar.  If he is willing to sign a cheap (and likely short) deal, I'd not be shocked to see Ballard bring him back, but I'm guessing Geathers is looking for a longer term contract.  As he sits around unsigned for longer, maybe he'll be willing to take a pay cut and come in on another 'prove it' type deal.

36 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Willis is almost better suited to be 'big nickel'.  He's a sure tackler and, IMO, better in the box than he is deep.  

I don't mind Odum or Milligan as defensive safeties, but I think they're both better on STs.  One guy who I really like from this draft who most mocks typically have going late first-mid second is Grant Delpit from LSU.  At 6'2" 213 lbs, he has the size and physicality to be play 'big nickel' and I think he may be a better overall S than Willis.  If he's still on the board come 34, I'd not be shocked in the least if Ballard pulled the trigger and went with him, despite most fans wanting WR, TE, edge, OL, and CB more than S. 

He signed a 1 year deal after last year.  Ballard was pretty straightforward about it, calling it a 'prove it' deal to the media on several occasions.  He said he loved Geathers as a leader, but he needed Geathers to stay healthy and improve his play.  Geathers only missed 1 game last year, but his play certainly was not stellar.  If he is willing to sign a cheap (and likely short) deal, I'd not be shocked to see Ballard bring him back, but I'm guessing Geathers is looking for a longer term contract.  As he sits around unsigned for longer, maybe he'll be willing to take a pay cut and come in on another 'prove it' type deal.

He'll want a long term deal considering what he's been through with injuries like his neck injury which he hasn't been the same player since. 

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

He'll want a long term deal considering what he's been through with injuries like his neck injury which he hasn't been the same player since. 

I agree, and can see his point on wanting a long-term deal with guaranteed money, given just a couple years ago there was a bit of doubt that his football career would be able to continue due the neck injury.

I imagine the reason he's still unsigned is that he's either (a) asking for long-term deal with guaranteed $ which teams are too skeptical about doing, (b) asking for too much money, or (c) asking for a combination of both.  

I don't think he had a 'horrible' year last year, but you're right... he's not the same player he was prior to his injury and overall I think his play last year was pretty underwhelming (as evidenced by a 4th round rookie taking the majority of snaps at SS).  

Geathers isn't increasing his stock the longer he sits as a FA.  In fact, later this week, a lot of teams will have addressed concerns they may have had about S through the draft, so his stock is probably getting lower and lower.  

At some point it'll be take a short, relatively cheap contract and try to show that you can be the guy you were before injury or don't sign any contract at all.  From all accounts I've read, Ballard really likes Geathers as a person and a leader.  He seems to be a very good teammate (as evidenced by being voted in as captain).  Given that Ballard has already completed multiple 1 year contracts with FA's this offseason, I wouldn't be shocked if Geathers comes back here for a 1 year deal, especially if we don't address the S position early in the draft.  Just can't imagine us rolling into this coming season with the S group we have now - Hooker's had his own injury problems and we're really not very deep there.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

One guy who I really like from this draft who most mocks typically have going late first-mid second is Grant Delpit from LSU.  At 6'2" 213 lbs, he has the size and physicality to be play 'big nickel' and I think he may be a better overall S than Willis.  If he's still on the board come 34, I'd not be shocked in the least if Ballard pulled the trigger and went with him, despite most fans wanting WR, TE, edge, OL, and CB more than S. 

I don't think he gives you much that Willis doesn't already provide. He's a big slot/box safety who can be physical and cover TE's well, but he doesn't have the range to play high safety, has tight hips, and missed 22% of his attempted tackles last season. He'll set the tone, but then he'll whiff on a critical tackle that leads to a big gain and wipes that tone away.

12 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think he gives you much that Willis doesn't already provide. He's a big slot/box safety who can be physical and cover TE's well, but he doesn't have the range to play high safety, has tight hips, and missed 22% of his attempted tackles last season. He'll set the tone, but then he'll whiff on a critical tackle that leads to a big gain and wipes that tone away.

He's 3-4 inches taller than Willis.  He runs a 4.39 compared to Willis' 4.52.  Overall he's significantly more athletic than Willis (probably Willis' biggest knock coming out of the draft).  He had a better 2018 season than 2019 season as well.  In 2019, he was bothered by an ankle injury.  

Not saying he's the guy.. but if we don't bring back Geathers, it's my opinion that we need help at S.  In part due to Hooker's inability to stay healthy (he hasn't played more than 13 games once in his short NFL career), sometimes inconsistent play, and I don't really few Milligan or Odum as top notch depth at the position, though they're both solid on STs.  Maybe they'll try to move Tell or Wilson to S, but they're not surefire bets there.  While I'm fine going into the season with Hooker and Willis as starters, I think after OT and WR, safety is probably the position which I have the most concerns about in terms of depth.  Of course, S seems to be one of the easiest positions to transition from college to pros and a lot of quality safeties comes from later rounds (see Willis as a prime example), but I think Delpit will make a fine pro.  He'll need to improve his tackling, for sure, but that, to me is a trait which can be coached -- it's not like he lacks the physical ability, size or strength to bring guys down.

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

I like Tartt, I liked him coming out in college but he has not played a full season the last three years because of injuries.  If it weren't for the injuries, I'd be for the Colts packaging Hooker and 34 for Tart and 31, but I'm not a fan of Hooker.

But if the Colts could get him for a 5th that would be a good deal, he'd be better than Milligan or Odum.

12 hours ago, shastamasta said:

How so? They are a top 5 NFL franchise according to value...and just went to the Super Bowl. I can’t imagine they lose money on the venture.

Value, maybe, but I wonder how heavily they are taxed being in A: California and B: San Fran, the state with the most taxes, and the city with some of the highest local taxes in the nation. We also don't know what ventures they have outside of the 49ers and how much capital they pull from the team to run those ventures.  Wouldn't be the first time a pro-team is in financial trouble. Al Davis was in it a lot 

11 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I know get the 13th pick back and still have Buckner would be awesome. 

give them a second this year and a next for 13 lol.

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, yeah but he can also dance with wolves, swim underwater, save Whitney Houston, and be a postman, and defeat the Sheriff of Nottingham... so he sets the bar kind of high.

And throw a no-hitter at age 40.

17 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Franchise value vs. liquid cash can be a world of difference.  If you don't have the liquidity, you can't absorb all the bonus checks it takes to pay out these guys....

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Franchise value vs. liquid cash can be a world of difference.  If you don't have the liquidity, you can't absorb all the bonus checks it takes to pay out these guys....

That is true. But Denise Debartolo York is worth $3.2B...an increase from $1.9B a few years ago.

And despite their rift with the city of Santa Clara, they are still very profitable (of course that change for all NFL teams very quickly). 

I just don’t buy that they need to trade players because of financial issues. To your point about bonuses...a lot of the gtd money for the guys listed has been paid out.

Archived