Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible acquisition of extra 1st in 2021?

I wonder if a team came calling offering their 2021 1st for the 34th overall pick this year if Ballard would do it. If a poor or mediocre team called, I'd be all for getting a potentially very high 1st round pick in 2021. 

I don't think it happens too often, but it would be nice. 

14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wonder if a team came calling offering their 2021 1st for the 34th overall pick this year if Ballard would do it. If a poor or mediocre team called, I'd be all for getting a potentially very high 1st round pick in 2021. 

If there was consensus that the liklihood of a pick that would land in the Blue Chip (top 15) area it would have to be tempting. If that went off he could then try to trade next years one which i hope and expect to be in the mid 20's for more picks.  
Miami has so many high picks that they will want to move some into the next draft.

I would do that almost every time such trade is available(it doesn't even need to be by a team that's expected to be bad). In the long run you will profit by trading second round picks for future firsts.

The few exceptions are if a player who you value extremely high(let's say top 10) player is still available or if there is a QB you like and need a QB.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does this even happen. Why would a team give up a future first to only get a current second.

The 34th overall pick is basically already like a late 1st. The benefit in getting the 34th overall pick is you get that player a year early into your system. And it depends on the player that is available at 34 as well.  Just justifying a team's reasoning behind a trade like this. 

I don’t think it will happen.... 

but

If the Redskins, Jets, Bengals, Panthers, offered next years first, for our 34th , I would ABSOLUTELY trade ALL DAY , EVERY DAY

You could parlay a 2nd to a top 5 pick next year..... you do it

dumber things have happened......

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I don’t think it will happen.... 

but

If the Redskins, Jets, Bengals, Panthers, offered next years first, for our 34th , I would ABSOLUTELY trade ALL DAY , EVERY DAY

You could parlay a 2nd to a top 5 pick next year..... you do it

dumber things have happened......

I doubt this happens.

1 hour ago, Superfly said:

Dear God

1) That particularly phrase is owned and copyrighted by me on this board.  Please cease and desist its use or pay me fair market royalties.

2) The question that elicited your blatant rip off my coined term is completely reasonable and worthy of discussion.  

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If this were in fact offered, I could not say yes fast enough.

I wouldn't.  How meaningful of a college football season will we have?  How much will we know about nexts years class?  Will they play? Will it be shortened or delayed?  Spring and Summer practices already cancelled or delayed.  I would go the other way.  Trade a pick or two from next year to get talent this year. 

Archived