Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colts great Mike Curtis has died (Merge)

1959Colts

Mike always wore his heart in his sleeve.  He never held back his thoughts or feelings - a real mans man.  I agree with the other posters: he was as tough on the field as you’ll find in the history of the NFL.  Will always be one of my all-time favorites.

Rest in peace, Mike.  You were a true Colt.

I can't believe it. He was the heart and soul of those 60s early 70s defenses. He was great, never appreciated as much as he should have been playing in the era of butkus, nobis, nitschke, schmidt, willie Lanier and bobby bell.

Should be in the Hall. 

Biggest play ever was the interception in super bowl 5 that let jim O'Brien kick the game winner.

RIP.

About 4-5 yrs ago, I saw a video clip somewhere about him having alzheimers. Don't know but complications from that could very well be the cause of death. heckuva linebacker and hard hard hitter. Loved watching "Mad Dog" making hits, especially against the Packers. Crying shame he isn't in the Hall of Fame. RIP Mad Dog.

Really sorry to hear of our great LB passing.  I met him one time in Baltimore after he retired.  He was in the stands watching one of the games and I walked up and said hello.  He was very nice.  Surely one of the greatest of all Colts and one of my all time favorites.  

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/20/former-colts-great-mike-curtis-dies-at-77/

Former Colts great Mike Curtis dies at 77

Very sorry to hear this news about one of my all time favorite players.

Aww maaaan...very sad to see this.  One of the storied Baltimore Colts.  I love the video of him knocking down that fan who ran onto the field at Memorial Stadium.  Played linebacker in a manner befitting of his era.   Those Baltimore Colts defenses back then played with an edge and Mike was chief among them.  Rest In Peace Mike Curtis. 

4 hours ago, unitas2berry said:

About 4-5 yrs ago, I saw a video clip somewhere about him having alzheimers. Don't know but complications from that could very well be the cause of death. heckuva linebacker and hard hard hitter. Loved watching "Mad Dog" making hits, especially against the Packers. Crying shame he isn't in the Hall of Fame. RIP Mad Dog.

Just read where it was CTE related. Lots of old Colts suffered brain related injuries.

Archived