Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm sure most of you will hate the idea

I'm curious what TY Hilton's value is trade wise. 

Yes I know the WR position is a disaster and trading away the best piece of it could be costly. 

Here's some points though of why it might be a good idea.

*TY though fantastic when healthy is in the last year of his contract. 

*This WR class is expected to to be one of the best in years.

*Trading TY now while his value is semi high would be very beneficial. 

I'd trade him for a 2nd or high pick in the 3rd.

Take Pittman Jr and Van Jefferson.

13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Yes I know the WR position is a disaster and trading away the best piece of it could be costly. 

The problem is exactly what you said, it’s a DEEP DEEP WR class. Wait a year, his value would be MUCH higher. If Hopkins got only a 4th, TY isn’t drawing that even, especially coming off an injury 

While I do understand and agree to a point in trading guys off while they have some value, but to me there are some guys that deserve to leave on their own terms when they are ready to call it a career. I understand we can't do that with everybody, but I think it looks bad for a team if they always ship out players before their value drops, especially when it's a guy that has spent his whole career there and has played through injuries when a team needed them that a lot of players wouldn't... I think TY is one of those guys. I want him to be a Colt for life. 

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The problem is exactly what you said, it’s a DEEP DEEP WR class. Wait a year, his value would be MUCH higher. If Hopkins got only a 4th, TY isn’t drawing that even, especially coming off an injury 

Texans got 2 and David Johnson for Hopkins and 4.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

TY would not have much trade value right now. 

1.   As you know, it’s a great year for wide receivers.

2.   As you know, TY is coming off an injury plagued season.

3.   As you know, TY makes a LOT of money.  

Everything adds up to say you’re not getting a 2 or a 3 for TY.   You’re getting a Day 3 pick.   He’s more valuable to the Colts to keep him, not trade him. 

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

TY would not have much trade value right now. 

1.   As you know, it’s a great year for wide receivers.

2.   As you know, TY is coming off an injury plagued season.

3.   As you know, TY makes a LOT of money.  

Everything adds up to say you’re not getting a 2 or a 3 for TY.   You’re getting a Day 3 pick.   He’s more valuable to the Colts to keep him, not trade him. 

I would tend to agree with this logic.  IF he had more trade value, you would absolutely have to think about it.  But I think you're only likely to get a 4th at best due to his age and contract.  He's likely worth more to the Colts to keep than what they would get in return.

TY is one of those players that should retire a colt. If we can get more weapons maybe we can extend his career by him not having to take as many snaps. He has grown up so much the last two years and has really taken on a leadership role. The guy has played injured and even shouldn’t of played at times last year.  If he is just as injured after this season then those tough decisions might have to be made because of what he makes.

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Colts are in win now mode with Rivers. The last thing you want to do is take away a weapon from Rivers. WR is already a need too. Campbell is an unknown, so you trade Hilton you go into the season with nothing but unknowns at receiver.

There's plenty of capable WRs in this class that are capable of becoming good players.

I get that most don't like the risk but if it comes down to taking a chance on one or two rookies vs paying Hilton 14m I'm gonna choose the rookies.  

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

There's plenty of capable WRs in this class that are capable of becoming good players.

I get that most don't like the risk but if it comes down to taking a chance on one or two rookies vs paying Hilton 14m I'm gonna choose the rookies.  

Any WR we take is a unknown. If TY has another year like this year with injuries  the decision might have to be made.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Any WR we take is a unknown. If TY has another year like this year with injuries  the decision might have to be made.

That's why I'm saying trade him now with the great class to work with. 

Obviously there's no guarantees with them but let's say we keep Hilton and he has injury filled season like last.

He walks and we get nothing. 

Or for the optimist he balls out and his contract numbers go up with his performance.

Either or we lose in the end unless he is willing to take a team friendly deal.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

T.Y. isn't going anywhere lol. He is arguably the 3rd best WR in Indianapolis Colts history only behind Marv and Reg. T.Y. isn't young but he isn't farting dust yet.

The only players untouchable IMO are Nelson and Leonard that's it. 

4 hours ago, FalseStart said:

You can’t trade a ghost...let alone one that runs a 4.3 forty... 

He has been highly injury prone the last two seasons missed almost half of last season to injury we wouldn't get that higher price this year see if he can stay healthy this year and go from there.

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

It was a terrible trade by the Texans. The Vikings got a 1st round pick and more for Stefon Diggs. TY would bring more than what Houston got for Hopkins.

I think that the Colts should keep Hilton. They can still draft a WR.

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I think it’s a valid question. Under different circumstances I’d probably be more willing to look at what a trade could bring but this team just said we are going all in this season with the signing of Rivers. If we already had Luck still in place for several more years, I could see the advantage but having Rivers for 1-2, I see the game plan of Denver with Manning. Load up on proven talent right now and let the chips fall later. 

I don’t hate the idea of trying to get some value nearing the end but I’d think this is the wrong time. 

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Benjamin albright tweeted the other day how scouts have told him there is a lot of WR that will contribute in the NFL there are probably only 4 to 5 stars. 

Could be true. But that statement probably only looked at the top 4-5 WRs by grade. It doesn’t factor in players that go to the right system. As Chris Carter once said, 90% of the players that play in the league are system players.

That number could jump to 8+ if teams draft wisely. Who thought Adam Thielen would be a top 10 receiver? Davante Adams? T.Y. Hilton is the only good receiver from his draft class. Who would have thought that in 2012?

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

In a year, TY will be a free agent which means exactly zero trade value then. 

You might want to check on what the return on the Hopkins trade really was. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Could be true. But that statement probably only looked at the top 4-5 WRs by grade. It doesn’t factor in players that go to the right system. As Chris Carter once said, 90% of the players that play in the league are system players.

That number could jump to 8+ if teams draft wisely. Who thought Adam Thielen would be a top 10 receiver? Davante Adams? T.Y. Hilton is the only good receiver from his draft class. Who would have thought that in 2012?

I think way too many people don’t understand this aspect of picking players. A guy on the Super Bowl winning Chiefs team may not work out equally as well on the Dolphins team that lacks supporting cast members or operating in a similar style playbook. That is why football is known more of a team sport and really requires the harmony of all 11 players more than it does having one superstar, like you see in basketball. I think that’s one reason we’ve seen the Pats succeed for so long. They’ve let so many seemingly great stars leave and then flop or at least not produce like they did in NE. They played team ball better than they did as individuals. Once a above avg player gets to those type of teams, they can shine like a superstar but individually, they aren’t. 

Ebron, perfect example. Great super stud with Luck, not so much with JB. Look at the Cb spot when Revis played with the jets and then left and looked like trash. System. So many other examples I’m sure could be had as well. 

10 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The class this year is legit 

I even think a late round steal this year will be Jauan Jennings. 

WRs drafted on day 3 could end up being stars.

I would agree this is a DEEP WR class, and the Colts will probably get a couple that could be #2 or #3's.  The problem is the likelihood of them getting a #1 is going to be low given their draft position.  TY is getting older, and he has been knicked up in recent years, but even when he's 80% he's still a #1.  I would hate to see us bring in Rivers and then take away his #1 option.  Yes, one of the draftees may very well develop into a stud but that's a gamble I wouldn't make.  Now if TY was say > 35, yeah maybe.  But I think he's still got a few good years left if he can just stay healthy, and that isn't something any of us knows for sure.  Of course drafting a younger guy doesn't guarantee good health either as we saw last year with Campbell.

My biggest question to you would be what do you think you could get in return for Hilton, at his age, with his injury history, and at his contract?  And is THAT pick going to end up getting you a suitable replacement?  When I see what the Texans got for Hopkins, who is better, I wonder.

I really doubt that Ballard and Reich brought in Rivers with any intent of trading TY.

There might be some merit to trading him if we had another seasoned and proven WR for Rivers to rely upon as his go-to guy.... but we don’t.... so I just don’t think our situation is ideal for a move like this.

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think way too many people don’t understand this aspect of picking players. A guy on the Super Bowl winning Chiefs team may not work out equally as well on the Dolphins team that lacks supporting cast members or operating in a similar style playbook. That is why football is known more of a team sport and really requires the harmony of all 11 players more than it does having one superstar, like you see in basketball. I think that’s one reason we’ve seen the Pats succeed for so long. They’ve let so many seemingly great stars leave and then flop or at least not produce like they did in NE. They played team ball better than they did as individuals. Once a above avg player gets to those type of teams, they can shine like a superstar but individually, they aren’t. 

Ebron, perfect example. Great super stud with Luck, not so much with JB. Look at the Cb spot when Revis played with the jets and then left and looked like trash. System. So many other examples I’m sure could be had as well. 

Agreed. The few guys that are great anywhere are the guys that end up with gold jackets. 

Look at someone like Edelman too. Last time he was a FA the Patriots let him test the market and he came right back and resigned. The system matters. 

I think there’s more stars in this draft than analysts can predict because they don’t know where everyone will go yet. That’s why Love is such a mystery. There’s maybe a handful of teams where I can see him being successful.

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, danlhart87 said:

We should have done this when his value was high. Colts would be lucky to get 5th with the way he's playing now. 

Regardless of how good TY is compared to his earlier years, after him the drop-off in WR talent is vast. With Campbell and Pittman injured, a receiving corps without Hilton is one of the worst in the league. An in-season trade will yield little for a 30 year old receiver in the last year of his contract. 

You would be lucky to get a 4th for him.  

Between the fact that he hasn't produced big time numbers for a couple years, his age, the great WR draft class coming up, his high pay, and the fact that it's the last year of his contract.  

No one is going to invest a high round pick in him.  Trust me we arn't the only ones who are aware that TY isn't in his prime anymore.  

On 10/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, danlhart87 said:

We should have done this when his value was high. Colts would be lucky to get 5th with the way he's playing now. 

his value wasn't high then... we'd been lucky to get a 5th then.  TY hasn't been TY in over 2 years.

Archived