Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft room - Chris Landry selections

His picks and footnotes-

2 (34). CB Noah Igbinoghene, Auburn – There’s obvious promise with Ya-Sin, but castoffs make up the other options, especially at the other outside corner spot. This is a passing league, so two quality corners are pivotal for a strong defense. Igbinoghene is a former receiver but does not play with finesse. Instead, he wants to be in boxing/pulling range and has the athleticism to stick in phase.

2 (44). WR Michael Pittman, USC – After patiently building a team with patience, the signing of Philip Rivers and trading for DeForest Buckner is an indication that Chris Ballard believes this can be a window to win. Frank Reich is a massive fan of Parris Campbell and T.Y. Hilton is wonderful … but they might not be enough. Rivers comes from an offense full of playmakers. He certainly wouldn’t be opposed to adding another in Pittman.

3 (75). EDGE Terrell Lewis, Alabama – Ballard obviously prioritizes athleticism along his defensive front. Adding Buckner, drafting Ben Banogu last season, Kemoko Turay the year prior. Add Lewis to that list. He can win on the outside or loop in to be a destructive, disruptive presence.

4 (122). QB Jacob Eason, Washington – Despite what they say, the Colts’ actions do not point to a team willing to go back to Jacoby Brissett after their year or two with Philip Rivers. Eason has a massive arm, but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of handling disruption and a feel for the play unfolding around him.

5 (160). CB Lavert Hill, Michigan – Yes another corner, but Hill might best project into the slot in the NFL. His feel for space is great. Depth at this position is never a negative.

6 (193). TE Charlie Taumoepeau, Portland State – With Eric Ebron departed and Mo Allie Cox still somewhat of an unknown, the Colts could be looking for another receiving option at the position for a quarterback that loves throwing to them.

6 (197). DL Broderick Washington, Texas Tech – If Johnson makes a roster, he can help anywhere from 3-technique to outside the tackle.

Hey look, no Kickers!!

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only pick I like is the Pittman pick. Was watching his highlights and he has a lot of Michael Thomas in him. Plus he can go up and get the ball. He is a stud. Where is oline.

Here's his team needs list-

TEAM NEEDS

Cornerback: Indianapolis’ front-seven received a much-needed shot of adrenaline in acquiring DT DeForest Buckner from San Francisco, but the team’s starting corners remain a hunch of blind faith. Turning 30 in June, Xavier Rhodes graded as Pro Football Focus’ No. 123 corner among 132 qualifiers last year, and free agent pickup T.J. Carrie finished not too far ahead (No. 98). Last year’s No. 34 overall pick Rock Ya-Sin was forced onto the field for 82% of the team’s defensive snaps (including several shadow assignments) due to multiple injuries. Getting benched mid-year is in the range of outcomes for two of the Colts’ three starting DBs.

Defensive End: With 26-year-old Buckner locked up for $21 million annually and stud LB Darius Leonard still flowering on his rookie deal, the time is ripe for GM Chris Ballard to find the eventual successor to 31-year-old Justin Houston, who’s entering the final year of his contract. Former Miami prospect Al-Quadin Muhammad and sophomore EDGE Ben Banogu are far along enough in their development to not only ensure Jabaal Sheard’s absence doesn’t hurt short-term, but also to comfortably allow Ballard to opt for a high-upside green pass rusher who may not find his footing out of the gates.

Quarterback: There’s an argument to be made for prioritizing wide receivers since T.Y. Hilton is approaching negotiations in his age-31 season, but the organization’s handful of expiring deals under center allow both Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett to walk at season’s end. The Colts have been linked to Aggies quarterback Jordan Love but currently lack the draft capital to land any Day 1 prospect.

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Terell Lewis....a high upside day 2 pass rusher with injury issues in college. Now where have I heard that before...:scratch:

If Ballard draft another day 2 edge rusher with traits, I don’t think that’s going to sit too well with fans.

Come on now...    do you really think Ballard cares what the fans think?   He said in his news conference that he didn’t care what the fans thought about how he handles the QB position. 

If he doesn’t care about that, he’s not going to care about what they think over DE....

Just saying. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He specifically breaks down the defense by position and when he talks about defensive end the one player he DOESN’T mention is Turay?!?    :facepalm: 

He did, in his pick footnotes in a post above that-

"EDGE Terrell Lewis, Alabama – Ballard obviously prioritizes athleticism along his defensive front. Adding Buckner, drafting Ben Banogu last season, Kemoko Turay the year prior. Add Lewis to that list. He can win on the outside or loop in to be a destructive, disruptive presence."

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only pick I like is the Pittman pick. Was watching his highlights and he has a lot of Michael Thomas in him. Plus he can go up and get the ball. He is a stud. Where is oline.

He thinks eason will fall to the 4th

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He did, in his pick footnotes in a post above that-

"EDGE Terrell Lewis, Alabama – Ballard obviously prioritizes athleticism along his defensive front. Adding Buckner, drafting Ben Banogu last season, Kemoko Turay the year prior. Add Lewis to that list. He can win on the outside or loop in to be a destructive, disruptive presence."

I don't  want another  lewis unless he is way better than the  current  lewis

Not a bad draft. I like it overall.

One thing I will point out us that even though I too agree that CB is low key need for us, neither of the CBs he gives us hit the armlenght benchmark Ballard seems to follow. Igbinoghene is close enough that if they really like his tape/traits they might still draft him though.

Ballard said in his presser he thinks Xavier and Rivers will regain greatness for multiple years. This guy just looked at a piece of paper and said Nope they are both old, played bad, replace them.  For Eason it says he has a big arm and then negative stuff. No reason why he would be a good fit. 

The way I see it is Ballard concentrated on defense this offseason by finally acquiring the 3T he has been trying for for years in Buckner.  Then he brings in Rhodes, Day and Carrie.  Now I think he will turn his attention to offense and try to improve on what we do best.  Run the ball.  Nix was added to help with that and now will be the time to add a RB early to improve the position group and to take advantage of our OL and run game.  A Fournette trade will help by pushing the RB's further back.  Maybe he goes to the Chiefs, Seahawks or Dolphins.   I'm guessing we will sign Burton so no need to draft a TE early.  So I'm expecting our early picks to be OT, WR, RB in no particular order. 

I hope OT,  WR or DE.

I think we need at least 3 good edge rushers going forward. Turay, Banogu and one more. There will be either 1 of 3 at our 2nd round picks I believe that could be good.  That would be a nice rotation. We have the 3 tech. Our defensive line would be positioned well for years hopefully. 

13 hours ago, stitches said:

Not a bad draft. I like it overall.

One thing I will point out us that even though I too agree that CB is low key need for us, neither of the CBs he gives us hit the armlenght benchmark Ballard seems to follow. Igbinoghene is close enough that if they really like his tape/traits they might still draft

Yeah, there’s a pretty small group of CBs that meet the 32” threshold in this year’s class. I do wonder how dogmatic Ballard is about arm length — is it like in Seattle where guys with sub-32” arms aren’t even on the board, or a bit more nuanced? Because there are a lot of good prospects in this class that hit above 31 inches.

Here are the CBs with 32” arm length I’ve identified this year for anyone that’s interested.

Jeff Okudah - 32 5/8
Trevon Diggs - 32 3/8

Bryce Hall - 32 1/4 

Michael Ojemuda - 32 1/4

Kindle Vildor - 32 1/4

Bopete Keys - 32 5/8

Lamar Jackson - 32 1/4

Madre Jackson - 33 7/8

Hall, Vildor, Ojemuda, and Keys were either permanent or game captains in 2019. Vildor, Ojemuda, and Lamar Jackson all participated in the Senior Bowl. Madre Jackson was dismissed from Oklahoma State prior to landing at Southern Illinois and might have some “football character” concerns to overcome to make it on the Colts’ board.

21 minutes ago, BSteph1 said:

Yeah, there’s a pretty small group of CBs that meet the 32” threshold in this year’s class. I do wonder how dogmatic Ballard is about arm length — is it like in Seattle where guys with sub-32” arms aren’t even on the board, or a bit more nuanced? Because there are a lot of good prospects in this class that hit above 31 inches.

Here are the CBs with 32” arm length I’ve identified this year for anyone that’s interested.

Jeff Okudah - 32 5/8
Trevon Diggs - 32 3/8

Bryce Hall - 32 1/4 

Michael Ojemuda - 32 1/4

Kindle Vildor - 32 1/4

Bopete Keys - 32 5/8

Lamar Jackson - 32 1/4

Madre Jackson - 33 7/8

Hall, Vildor, Ojemuda, and Keys were either permanent or game captains in 2019. Vildor, Ojemuda, and Lamar Jackson all participated in the Senior Bowl. Madre Jackson was dismissed from Oklahoma State prior to landing at Southern Illinois and might have some “football character” concerns to overcome to make it on the Colts’ board.

He drafted Hairston who was 31" but he's the only one I think that has played significant snaps for the team and he was drafted late. Here are the arm lenghts for all our CBs in recent years

Quincy Wilson 32 1/4"

Kenny Moore 32 5/8"

Rock Ya-Sin 32" 

Pierre Desir 33"

Marvell Tell 33 1/8"

Xavier Rhodes 33 3/4" 

T.J. Carrie 31 7/8"

It might not be extremely strict but there is definitely a trend there... 

20 hours ago, BSteph1 said:

Jeff Okudah - 32 5/8
Trevon Diggs - 32 3/8

Bryce Hall - 32 1/4 

Michael Ojemuda - 32 1/4

Kindle Vildor - 32 1/4

Bopete Keys - 32 5/8

Lamar Jackson - 32 1/4

Madre Jackson - 33 7/8

Watch for Ojemuda. 4th round. He’d be solid. 

Archived