Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard will not force fixing the QB situation

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109938/article/gm-ballard-will-not-force-drafting-colts-future-qb

I think if Love falls far enough like Seattle at 27 or SF at 31 then sure a trade up is possible still.

I'm hoping Love completely falls to 34 so we don't have to lose any picks but it wouldn't surprise me if Ballard loses out on him for not being aggressive enough.

I trust Ballard and hope he makes the right choice especially when it comes to the future at QB and beyond. 

All it says is he won’t draft a QB to early then where they have him and he has to be the right fit for the team. We really don’t know how he feels about the QB. Maybe after the draft we will get more insight on the position.  I am sure if Love is actually passed up when he is right there at our pick he will be asked a lot of questions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh man, if Love fell to 34 and we passed I would legitimately laugh out loud.  We spent soooo much time and energy discussing him at 13 that if we passed on him in the 2nd I'd have to restart my brain, lol. I am/was on the Love train and wouldn't be mad if we traded up a bit for him, but this scenario would be hilarious.

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

Oh man, if Love fell to 34 and we passed I would legitimately laugh out loud.  We spent soooo much time and energy discussing him at 13 that if we passed on him in the 2nd I'd have to restart my brain, lol. I am/was on the Love train and wouldn't be mad if we traded up a bit for him, but this scenario would be hilarious.

I'd be more upset if he somehow fell to 44 and we passed 2x

• Like 2

Just because some of you think Love is the answer does not mean Ballard thinks that way. 

I have watched Love play a few games and quite a bit of tape and personally, I wouldn't want to put the Colts future on what I seen. 

Could I be wrong?  Of course. Like anything, the NFL is known to be unpredictable. 

• Like 5
13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109938/article/gm-ballard-will-not-force-drafting-colts-future-qb

I think if Love falls far enough like Seattle at 27 or SF at 31 then sure a trade up is possible still.

I'm hoping Love completely falls to 34 so we don't have to lose any picks but it wouldn't surprise me if Ballard loses out on him for not being aggressive enough.

I trust Ballard and hope he makes the right choice especially when it comes to the future at QB and beyond. 

Just curious why you think we trade up. Ballard clearly said later in the interview, he wants more picks. No less. 

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think we can ascertain anything solid from that statement until after the draft or until he actually drafts a QB. 

Agreed. I took that statement as an indication that they're not going to take a QB just because they feel they need to draft one, but if the right one is within striking distance, we'll pull the trigger.

Despite this statement, I could still see a small trade up to get the right guy.

• Like 1

I will not take one in the rain,

I will not take one on the train,

I will not trade picks up or down,

I will not trade them round the town,

I will not take one here or there,

I will not take one anywhere,

I will not take a quarterback,

I will not do it, that's a fact.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think we can ascertain anything solid from that statement until after the draft or until he actually drafts a QB. 

Regarding QB,

1. He said he didn’t know and that it could be 1 year or 2 years.

2. He has said he expects Rivers to play more than 1 year. 
3. Then he said he wanted more picks.

4. And he said giving up 13 for Buckner was an easy decision. 

What else does he have to say? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Regarding QB,

In Franks interview I got the impression he thinks Rivers is going to be here longer than one year. 

We don't know what Rivers and Ballard discussed about the situation longer than one year. It could be as simple as wait and see. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Regarding QB,

I watched the interview and noted all that. Doesn’t change anything. We can’t definitively say what Ballard will or won’t do at QB until this draft is over. All we know is that he won’t be drafting a QB at 13. Anything else is just heresy. There’s nothing else that shows clear evidence of what move he’ll make at QB if any.

Ballard has done a ton of preparations for the fanbase for no QB taken. At this point I think I will believe what he's signaling and I wouldn't expect us to take a QB high(or at all) this year. His statements sound a ton like he doesn't love any of the options. And if he picks one then great, that would be a pleasant surprise and a successful smoke screen.

• Thanks 1

All I know is that all these GMs learn to speak so as to make a lie detector think that their lies are truths and their truths are lies. So yeah, he could be telling the exact truth, part of the truth, or a bald faced lie. Nobody but those guys know what they're really thinking. I doubt even their staffs know for sure.

About the only thing I do know is that under the current league rules, they all want the players they see as the top guys they're going to get to be first round picks, so as to control that fifth year option on them. That factor is HUGE to these franchises in the current environment. And most/all of them see the guys they're planning on being their quarterbacks for over a decade as among the top guys they're going to get. So piece that together however you wish.