Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Pascal Highlights

CR91

16 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

On a team with quality receivers he’s a #4 at best.  Big year for him to prove differently. 

I don't think he needs to.  He's a solid depth piece, he'll get a contract.  Guys like that are valuable in their way, and a good team that doesn't ask him to play over his head will get a lot of value out of him

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I love Pascal, I'm just being practical given his limitations. IMO, he simply does not have core requisites to be a legit or prototypical X. I can also praise him for what he does well. One does not have to be all in on one extreme or another when grading or discussing a player.

However you want to dress it up, he doesn't have the speed to get behind Ds on the outside, nor does he have the height/weight/vert to be a monster on contested catches like 50/50 balls. Those are two basics you want in starting X. If you look at his highlights, most on the outside catches are busted coverage. His best true highlights are out of the slot, intermediate comebacks or sideline outs, etc. They are not deep in coverage, or contested. IMO, his best catches were from Hoyer.

On the positive side, he has great hands, is a hard worker, great guy, and has improved his route running a bit, making him above average on certain routes, especially running as a big slot.

In a perfect world, he's a great back up X, and a great option at big slot.

Sometimes I think you get too wrapped up in the analytical aspects.

Zach is a football player. He don't let what you call prototypical traits stop him from being a great asset to this team. 

You say he is a good player but always end it with an analytical excuse of why you don't think he will advance his time on the field. 

Only time will have the answers but IMO he will get a lot of attention from Rivers. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Like Ballard said. We just need WR who can catch the ball and score. I don’t get to worried about Xyz. Although I do want someone with a bigger body like Pittman in the draft.

If you want Pittman, he's a prototypical X, and would bump Pascal from a 3 spot.... 

You should research a little on Reich's system so you understand the use of WRs. There's a reason they want certain measureables at different WR positions. And Ballard talks about measureables all the time, regardless of his "catch the ball and score" spiel. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Zach is a football player. He don't let what you call prototypical traits stop him from being a great asset to this team. 

You say he is a good player but always end it with an analytical excuse of why you don't think he will advance his time on the field. 

Only time will have the answers but IMO he will get a lot of attention from Rivers. 

It's not analytical at all to say that teams want a WR on the outside that can get behind the DBs, or want a WR that is physical enough to win contested catches. What I'm saying is very basic stuff. I've never said Pascal is not a great asset to team "as-is". He's just not a well rounded X. He's best running out of the slot, and there's nothing wrong with that. And he should get attention from Rivers. Even if we draft a prototypical X, he'll get plenty of work in the slot. 25% of his snaps last year were out of the slot, and that will only increase if we draft an X. 

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This is why some players who don’t have the best measurables become great football players. Sometimes we can get wrapped up in how big or fast a guy is. Sometimes the best trait is just being a what is called a football player.Some guys just have it with out all the traits people think they need.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, Chloe6124 said:

If he gets enough targets I could see him getting 800 to 900 yards.  The question will be with Hines getting more touches, Campbell and TY healthy, plus the additions of WR in draft will he. He may not even need as many touches to improve with Rivers as the QB. With Campbell and TY healthy that should be open even more.

If our WR talent increases (and stays healthy) and our QB play improves... I imagine our balance on offense will change.  Last year we were the 7th best team in terms of rush yards/game and 30th in passing yards/game.  We had one of the least balanced offense in the league, focused heavily on rushing and lightly on passing (in terms of yards, not attempts as we attempted the pass 53% of plays, we just didn't get a lot of yards there).  Also, we were 5th highest running play percentage and 28th in passing play percentage league wide.  That's a huge discrepancy.

I know Reich said prior to the season he wanted a top 5 rushing attack, and with our OL there were obviously some games where they took over and allowed Mack to run wild.  

With that being said, I expect the Colts will want to still be a top 10 rushing team next year.  However, I think with improved QB play and healthier receivers, we will see a more balanced offense which passes more and which converts more 3rd downs to extend drives.  So even if a guy like Pascal has more competition from Hines, TY, Campbell, potential rookie, etc... I expect we'll be passing more overall and he'll get his fair share of looks. 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, crazycolt1 said:

His middle of the road height and speed makes no difference as long as he finds the open spot on the field. He has very good hands and is quick enough to get yards after the catch. 

You seem to be critical of him while at the same time saying what a good player he is? 

I have a sneaky feeling he is going to be a big part of this offense this season. 

Just saying. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2020/03/12/indianapolis-colts-wr-zach-pascal-nearly-doubles-2019-salary-performance/5037117002/

^Very good article there on Pascal.  Sure seems like Ballard expects this guy to be a Colt for the foreseeable future.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Speaking of time... I think it's important to remember that Pascal spent 1 year on a practice squad (for the most part) and then 2 years playing in Indy.  This coming year is really like entering his 3rd season as an active NFL player.  He came from Old Dominion, which is a relatively small 'football' school -- typically guys from smaller programs tend to take a bit more time to develop and adjust to the NFL than guys from schools like Alabama, Clemson, etc.  By no means should we think Pascal's done developing and improving... he's still young and more likely than not, still adjusting to and learning about the NFL compared to Old Dominion.  I'm not saying he'll ever be a #1 WR, but I'm with you in thinking he'll play a significant part of this offense if he stays healthy.

Being new to the Colts, I had never seen him until watching those clips. I was impressed on several of those plays by the strength he showed in traffic and congestion. I can tell you that one of the traits that any good quarterback likes in his receivers is the willingness to fight for and go get the ball. Philip especially trusts guys who do that, because of his own fight and willingness to throw the ball into traffic and give his guy a chance to come down with the ball.

So whichever of his new group of receivers, Pascal included, shows this willingness is going to get plenty of Philip's attention throughout the season, of that you can be assured.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:41 PM, EastStreet said:

Very different player types and simply not comparable. One is an X that can play big slot, the other a traditional slot. And with JB incapable or unwilling to throw to the seam most of the time, any traditional slot is going to suffer.

Luck made very good use of Rogers in 2018. I doubt Rogers is back in 2020 simply because we have plenty of guys already in the slot/Z bucket. If you want to look at simple comps between the two, look at 2018 Colts stats. If you do, you should also weigh Pascal's stats vs other Xs on the roster (Grant and Inman). 

Naw I'm not talking about their role on the offense...just in general pascal is better at doing the dirty work he's a great blocker on screens, plus he doesn't give up until the play is over

25 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Naw I'm not talking about their role on the offense...just in general pascal is better at doing the dirty work he's a great blocker on screens, plus he doesn't give up until the play is over

But their role on the O comes with different expectations. Xs are asked to block a lot simply because of their size. Traditional slots are not. 

Archived