Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Pascal Highlights

CR91

Thanks for the video. This guy, while not a “burner” per se, ran a 4.48 at his pro day. Solid #4 receiver, who’s role in the run game can’t be underestimated.

Found an interesting link from the Jets website;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/18/14963976/scouting-the-2017-nfl-draft-zachary-pascal-scouting-report-wr-old-dominion

Just finished the highlights. His best catches looked to be from Hoyer. That grab in the endzone was sweet.

He's a 4/5/6 depth guy, not a 3 though. We need a legit X. A lot of the good catches (not wide open blown coverage) on his highlights came out of the slot. And he is very good running out of the slot. I love the thought of "big" packages with him in the slot, and a guy like Pittman or Claypool in the X.

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just finished the highlights. His best catches looked to be from Hoyer. That grab in the endzone was sweet.

He's a 4/5/6 depth guy, not a 3 though. We need a legit X. A lot of the good catches (not wide open blown coverage) on his highlights came out of the slot. And he is very good running out of the slot. I love the thought of "big" packages with him in the slot, and a guy like Pittman or Claypool in the X.

I don’t know where to put him. I want to see what he does with a better QB.  He will have easier targets if TY and Parris stay healthy. I think he can be a very good 3. He isn’t going to take double teams off of TY but he is a great compliment when TY gets doubled. He should have more open targets if Campbell and TY stay healthy. 

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know where to put him. I want to see what he does with a better QB.  He will have easier targets if TY and Parris stay healthy. I think he can be a very good 3. He isn’t going to take double teams off of TY but he is a great compliment when TY gets doubled. He should have more open targets if Campbell and TY stay healthy. 

He'd be best as a depth X, not a 1X..... or as a 2nd X on the field running out of slot with the starting X out wide. He's not big enough to win a lot of contested stuff, and not fast enough to really get behind DBs. He's great when running out of the slot through the middle vs LBs though. He'd be decent short and intermediate on the outside on comeback and back shoulder stuff, but he needs to improve his route running a bit. Still though, lacks the size and speed we need.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He'd be best as a depth X, not a 1X..... or as a 2nd X on the field running out of slot with the starting X out wide. He's not big enough to win a lot of contested stuff, and not fast enough to really get behind DBs. He's great when running out of the slot through the middle vs LBs though. He'd be decent short and intermediate on the outside on comeback and back shoulder stuff, but he needs to improve his route running a bit. Still though, lacks the size and speed we need.

Do you think he basically filled the role Funchess was supposed to have?

So I think that Ballard can see the upgrade we will have at QB when he says he likes what we have at WR     

So my point is he will not take a WR just to take a WR.  Just like he is not going to take a QB because the fans think we need on for the 2022 season

Rivers will make all receivers on the roster look much much better 

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you think he basically filled the role Funchess was supposed to have?

No, not at all. Very different player than Funchess. The only thing they share in common is they'd both be good running out of slot. Funch, even though he's not the fastest, can at least be a 50/50 guy down field. Both are limited IMO. We need a guy like Claypool or Pittman. Both are big, and both have speed. They can do it all. Inside or outside, and both have speed to go deep, or ability to win contested 50/50 balls. 

2 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

So I think that Ballard can see the upgrade we will have at QB when he says he likes what we have at WR     

So my point is he will not take a WR just to take a WR.  Just like he is not going to take a QB because the fans think we need on for the 2022 season

Rivers will make all receivers on the roster look much much better 

Luck made TY/Rogers/Pascal/Inman into the the 6th best passing unit in 2018 lol... Rivers will likely do the same. Even better if we have a little luck with health (TY and PC).

Ha ha, it's interesting how perspective can completely change what different people see when they look at exactly the same thing. As a new Colts fan because of Philip, all I could see on about 95% of those plays in that highlight was the incredible amount of room in front and around them the QBs had. And for how long they had it, too. Philip is going to be like a 5 year old on Christmas morning the first live NFL action he has with that line in front of him. He hasn't seen anything like that since 2007, and even with that really good line he had then, not quite as good as what I saw on those plays in that clip.

I'm not exaggerating, either, but Reich and staff may have to alter Philip's mindset some to wait a bit longer on some plays, maybe a lot of plays, to let it fully develop. It's so ingrained in him now to let go of the ball almost the moment he looks up from the snap that he's almost certainly going to have to make some kind of adjustment there.

Ha ha, I'm sorry to laugh about this, but I'm not kidding. I honestly didn't know that it was like that for quarterbacks in this league. At least some of them, anyway. Any of them, really. WOW. Talk about your difference in degree of difficulty.

Year ago we weren't even talking about Pascal making the team. 

We wait on players to develop, like Turay, Lewis, Tell, Odom, well Pascal has developed and improved every year. So going on that, he'll improve more as the game slows down for him. Our current WRs I see him fighting #2 spot. Would like to draft a WR early but wouldn't be too shocked if we drafted 1 late again.

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Zach is only going into his 3rd year. No reason to think he won’t improve again this year.

Technically, 4th year out of college. I absolutely think he will continue to improve, but he simply has a ceiling given his middle of the road height and speed. I love Pascal and hope he's a Colt for a long long time.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Technically, 4th year out of college. I absolutely think he will continue to improve, but he simply has a ceiling given his middle of the road height and speed. I love Pascal and hope he's a Colt for a long long time.

I need to see him with a very good QB before I decide what his ceiling is. I don’t count the year with Luck because it was his first year on the team. Imagine if Luck had played last year and pascal was the number one receiver for Luck. Sometimes measurable aren’t everything.  Work ethic and all kinds of things come into play.

Jacoby just ticks me off. He showed flashes last season but just couldn’t do it consistently.  I don’t think it was all teams just learned to play him. It was just a combination of a bunch of things. The playbook will get opened back up this year with Rivers. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I need to see him with a very good QB before I decide what his ceiling is. I don’t count the year with Luck because it was his first year on the team. Imagine if Luck had played last year and pascal was the number one receiver for Luck. Sometimes measurable aren’t everything.  Work ethic and all kinds of things come into play.

Jacoby just ticks me off. He showed flashes last season but just couldn’t do it consistently.  I don’t think it was all teams just learned to play him. It was just a combination of a bunch of things. The playbook will get opened back up this year with Rivers. 

Anything can happen, but reality and history suggests he's a very good depth guy or borderline starter. I really like him and hope he becomes a star, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment... He is the type of guy you want on your roster regardless.

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

His middle of the road height and speed makes no difference as long as he finds the open spot on the field. He has very good hands and is quick enough to get yards after the catch. 

You seem to be critical of him while at the same time saying what a good player he is? 

I have a sneaky feeling he is going to be a big part of this offense this season. 

Just saying. 

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Anything can happen, but reality and history suggests he's a very good depth guy or borderline starter. I really like him and hope he becomes a star, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment... He is the type of guy you want on your roster regardless.

Where did I say he was going to be a star. I don’t think he is a one or two. But he is a great 3. All I was saying with a better QB he should be able to improve.

3 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Like I said last season he's much better than chester rodgers

Very different player types and simply not comparable. One is an X that can play big slot, the other a traditional slot. And with JB incapable or unwilling to throw to the seam most of the time, any traditional slot is going to suffer.

Luck made very good use of Rogers in 2018. I doubt Rogers is back in 2020 simply because we have plenty of guys already in the slot/Z bucket. If you want to look at simple comps between the two, look at 2018 Colts stats. If you do, you should also weigh Pascal's stats vs other Xs on the roster (Grant and Inman). 

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

His middle of the road height and speed makes no difference as long as he finds the open spot on the field. He has very good hands and is quick enough to get yards after the catch. 

You seem to be critical of him while at the same time saying what a good player he is? 

I have a sneaky feeling he is going to be a big part of this offense this season. 

Just saying. 

If he gets enough targets I could see him getting 800 to 900 yards.  The question will be with Hines getting more touches, Campbell and TY healthy, plus the additions of WR in draft will he. He may not even need as many touches to improve with Rivers as the QB. With Campbell and TY healthy that should be open even more.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just saying. 

I love Pascal, I'm just being practical given his limitations. IMO, he simply does not have core requisites to be a legit or prototypical X. I can also praise him for what he does well. One does not have to be all in on one extreme or another when grading or discussing a player.

However you want to dress it up, he doesn't have the speed to get behind Ds on the outside, nor does he have the height/weight/vert to be a monster on contested catches like 50/50 balls. Those are two basics you want in starting X. If you look at his highlights, most on the outside catches are busted coverage. His best true highlights are out of the slot, intermediate comebacks or sideline outs, etc. They are not deep in coverage, or contested. IMO, his best catches were from Hoyer.

On the positive side, he has great hands, is a hard worker, great guy, and has improved his route running a bit, making him above average on certain routes, especially running as a big slot.

In a perfect world, he's a great back up X, and a great option at big slot.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Where did I say he was going to be a star. I don’t think he is a one or two. But he is a great 3. All I was saying with a better QB he should be able to improve.

I said that I hope he becomes a star. I did not say you said he was a star.

If you think he's a "great" 3 at this point, not sure what to tell you. Was Rogers a great 2 in 2018?

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No and that should of never have happened. He  is lucky to be a five or a six.

What is your definition of great lol? Rogers outplayed Pascal in 2018. In 2019, the only reason Rogers didn't get more targets is because JB never wanted to throw to the seam (to WRs or TEs). Rogers had better separation stats all year long before his injury in 2019 and was running wide open and simply not getting thrown too lol.

Don't need to turn this into a Rogers vs Pascal debate as they play different positions. In short, if you think having a non-prototypical X as your starter who can't get behind Ds or compete for 50/50 balls, not sure what to tell you. I don't think your really understand Reich's O.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No and that should of never have happened. He  is lucky to be a five or a six.

With the season Pascal had last season with an average to below average QB throwing him the ball id put him 3rd or 4th on the depth chart he wasn't consistent enough to be any higher.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What is your definition of great lol? Rogers outplayed Pascal in 2018. In 2019, the only reason Rogers didn't get more targets is because JB never wanted to throw to the seam (to WRs or TEs). Rogers had better separation stats all year long before his injury in 2019 and was running wide open and simply not getting thrown too lol.

Don't need to turn this into a Rogers vs Pascal debate as they play different positions. In short, if you think having a non-prototypical X as your starter who can't get behind Ds or compete for 50/50 balls, not sure what to tell you. I don't think your really understand Reich's O.

Like Ballard said. We just need WR who can catch the ball and score. I don’t get to worried about Xyz. Although I do want someone with a bigger body like Pittman in the draft.

Archived