Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts team most interested in Reagor

Why did he come to the combine overweight and underprepared when everyone there knows it’s like an important job interview? 

As far as Tyreek Hill comparisons, I’d say Henry Ruggs is a closer comparison than Raegor. 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:32 PM, EastStreet said:

No thanks. 5-11.... we have plenty of small guys already.

If we don't take a WR that's 6-3 or more, I'll be disappointed. 

Why are you so obsessed with receivers who are 6'3' plus? 

If the receiver is talented enough to get open and make catches his height has nothing to do with it.

The teams have tight ends that are used in case height is needed. 

Might as well get over the Calvin Johnson infatuation you have. :D

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why are you so obsessed with receivers who are 6'3' plus? 

If the receiver is talented enough to get open and make catches his height has nothing to do with it.

The teams have tight ends that are used in case height is needed. 

Might as well get over the Calvin Johnson infatuation you have. :D

Why are so obsessed with my desire to have a well rounded X WR.

Honestly though, if you don't understand the need for a well rounded X, the passing routes one would open up, why QBs like them, or the problems it presents a D, then not sure what to tell you. Why do you think Ballard and Reich went out and got Funch last year? Why does Chloe want Pittman lol... 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Why are so obsessed with my desire to have a well rounded X WR.

Honestly though, if you don't understand the need for a well rounded X, the passing routes one would open up, why QBs like them, or the problems it presents a D, then not sure what to tell you. Why do you think Ballard and Reich went out and got Funch last year? Why does Chloe want Pittman lol... 

And I was only joking about you being obsessed. 

But yet here it is. :dunno:

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

And I was only joking about you being obsessed. 

But yet here it is. :dunno:

X attributes and benefits, and how X (and other WR posittions) fit into schemes, is football 101 type of stuff. 

Even Tua with a horrible wonderlic understands it lol..... why can't you lol

Ballard talks all the time about minimum measurable requirements. There's actually a whole article on Colts.com that grades all candidates and how well they meet the criteria.

https://www.colts.com/news/jordan-love-jonathan-taylor-zack-baun-2020-nfl-draft-fits-combine

X attributes and benefits, and how X (and other WR posittions) fit into schemes, is football 101 type of stuff. 

Even Tua with a horrible wonderlic understands it lol..... why can't you lol

Ballard talks all the time about minimum measurable requirements. There's actually a whole article on Colts.com that grades all candidates and how well they meet the criteria.

https://www.colts.com/news/jordan-love-jonathan-taylor-zack-baun-2020-nfl-draft-fits-combine

Yet the best receiver in Colts history was listed at 6 ft and 185 lbs. 

I met him in person and he was lucky to be 5'10" and 175 lbs. (my size)

That would happen to be Marvin Harrison. 

Look, I get where you are coming from but not everything comes down to measurable numbers. I think you take all this way too serious and expect all of us to follow suit.  

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yet the best receiver in Colts history was listed at 6 ft and 185 lbs. 

I met him in person and he was lucky to be 5'10" and 175 lbs. (my size)

That would happen to be Marvin Harrison. 

Look, I get where you are coming from but not everything comes down to measurable numbers. I think you take all this way too serious and expect all of us to follow suit.  

Are you that dense naturally, or do you work hard?

Nobody is saying we don't need Zs and slots, who are typically smaller. You need a well rounded WR unit that includes Z, traditional slot, big slot, and X. Point is, we have plenty of small guys already. We don't size. 

Are you that dense naturally, or do you work hard?

Nobody is saying we don't need Zs and slots, who are typically smaller. You need a well rounded WR unit that includes Z, traditional slot, big slot, and X. Point is, we have plenty of small guys already. We don't size. 

Now you want to insult me? 

No, I will pass because you have made it real apparent you think you are smarter than anyone in this forum. You take every opportunity to express that. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:30 PM, WarGhost21 said:

Campbell and Reagor may look the same, but they are very different. Campbell is a true deep threat, whereas Reagor is a guy more along the lines of TY, getting open down low and making moves from there. Not to mention that, regardless of him being under 6 foot, he highpoints the ball as well as anyone in the class. Pinning him as a deep threat only is crazy. 

Also, Reagor struggled at the combine, but at his pro day, it is said he ran a 4.22. He came to the combine overweight and underprepared. He’s faster than Campbell on tape though. 

Exactly.  To me I would see Reagor as possibly a future replacement for T.Y. Hilton.  Colts have to plan for if T.Y. goes down to injury or retires in a few years.  Reagor could fill the T.Y. role in the offense down the road. 

I also agree that Reagor plays bigger than his size. He can really go up and get the football.  Watch his highlight tapes.

https://youtu.be/v9UQcG0ORMc

Pickup Reagor and Pittman, or Reagor and Van Jefferson is what I'd do.  Reagor just explodes off the tape to me.  I certainly wouldn't pass if I had the chance to draft.  I think you can get the best of both worlds in this draft.  You can get the speed guy who can play multiple positions plus punt returner, and you can add another tall guy at the same time.  No reason to turn down a talent like Reagor just because you think we need to have a tall guy.   Reagors not small to begin with anyway.  He's the exact height most nfl receivers are. 

On 4/17/2020 at 7:34 PM, coltsfanej said:

I would also like to get a WR with size but I feel the need for different sizes at WR is sometimes overblown. At the end of the day a WR needs separation and hands. Those traits have proven to be by far the most important indicators for success.... So if they think Reagor is the guy then I'm on board. 

Look at how many solid 'big' guys are in this draft -- https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php  There's no reason to be upset if we got Reagor at 34 or 44 (or trade back a bit at 34 and pick Reagor up at 37-43 and pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick and go 'big' guy then).

On 4/17/2020 at 8:28 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Right now though we have no one as a red zone threat. That is so important when you get down towards the goal line.

TY is actually very good in the red zone.  Doyle's good in the red zone and on 3rd/4th short situations.  Being tall isn't the only attribute to consider when it comes to 'red zone' potential.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:25 AM, krunk said:

Now you know who we had at QB last year.  TY couldn't have done too much to increase his stats with that kind of QB play as the year progressed.  Of course he was also injured for a couple games.  He will put up pretty respectable numbers with Rivers.   I do think it's time to start looking for his replacement due to his age creeping up though.  He's still got a little bit of time.  Definitely not done yet.

Reagor is much bigger than TY (5'11 206 compared to 5'10" 183).  They're both not very tall, but Reagor is much thicker and high points balls better than TY.  To me, KJ Hamler (Penn State, 5'9" 178 is a better comparison to TY -- chances are, he'll be around in the 3rd).  See the Walter Football link above, I wouldn't be at all upset if we went Reagor in Round 2 and a big guy with a later pick, nor would I bet upset if we went 'big' with Claypool, Mims, Gabriel Davis, Pittman, etc. in round 2 and went with a guy like Hamler in round 3.  

On 4/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think Parris Campbell can be Hilton’s replacement. He can play that Z position but also move inside when needed.

Campbell is also quite a bit different than TY.  First, he's nowhere near (yet) as refined of a route runner as TY.  Second, he's 6'0" 205 lbs (2 inches and 20 lbs makes him a lot bigger and stronger than TY).  They're commonalities are (1) both are very fast and athletic, (2) both have yards after catch playmaking ability.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, coltsblue1844 said:

Because Lord knows how bad we were when we only had Marvin and Reggie and no big body tall WRs ...  smh

^This !!!!  Hard to argue that Marv and Reg weren't the best WR combo in the NFL during their time together (after Reggie's 2nd year), and not too difficult to argue that they were a top 5 all-time (perhaps the best all-time) WR duo in NFL history.  Off the top of my head, I'm coming up with Randy Moss/Cris Carter, Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt, Jerry Rice/Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice/John Taylor come to mind.. though, I don't think any of them had the same longevity as Marv and Reg.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:38 AM, EastStreet said:

Very different O scheme, very different times/NFL, very different Ds, very different QB. In short, if that's what you want, you're not going to be happy with Reich....

We have plenty of small and fast guys if we wanted to use a bunch of 3 and 4 vert type plays. Guessing you don't really understand Reich's O, and the difference between that and the days of Tom Moore's O. And even in the Moore days, we still used a ton of flex TE (Clark), which was basically TE-lite or big X.

I don't know if any of us really know Reich's O.  He's been a head coach for 2 years.  When he was an OC in San Diego, he had Antonio Gates (arguably a top 3 receiving TE of all time), so that probably dictated some of his play calling and he also had a future HOF QB in Rivers.  His first year in Indy he had a stud QB (Luck) and a solid Ebron and TY.  His second year, he got thrown a curveball and had Brissett as a QB with a severely depleted WR corps and a major dropoff in Ebron.  

He seems to be able to adjust to the talent he has on the roster.  I'm sure he and Ballard talk almost daily about what Reich really wants/needs to build his desired O.  In the short time he's been an OC or HC, he has had a wide variety of skillsets at his disposal and he seems to adjust pretty well at adjusting his talent to their strengths.

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Look at how many solid 'big' guys are in this draft -- https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php  There's no reason to be upset if we got Reagor at 34 or 44 (or trade back a bit at 34 and pick Reagor up at 37-43 and pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick and go 'big' guy then).

TY is actually very good in the red zone.  Doyle's good in the red zone and on 3rd/4th short situations.  Being tall isn't the only attribute to consider when it comes to 'red zone' potential.

Reagor is much bigger than TY (5'11 206 compared to 5'10" 183).  They're both not very tall, but Reagor is much thicker and high points balls better than TY.  To me, KJ Hamler (Penn State, 5'9" 178 is a better comparison to TY -- chances are, he'll be around in the 3rd).  See the Walter Football link above, I wouldn't be at all upset if we went Reagor in Round 2 and a big guy with a later pick, nor would I bet upset if we went 'big' with Claypool, Mims, Gabriel Davis, Pittman, etc. in round 2 and went with a guy like Hamler in round 3.  

Campbell is also quite a bit different than TY.  First, he's nowhere near (yet) as refined of a route runner as TY.  Second, he's 6'0" 205 lbs (2 inches and 20 lbs makes him a lot bigger and stronger than TY).  They're commonalities are (1) both are very fast and athletic, (2) both have yards after catch playmaking ability.

^This !!!!  Hard to argue that Marv and Reg weren't the best WR combo in the NFL during their time together (after Reggie's 2nd year), and not too difficult to argue that they were a top 5 all-time (perhaps the best all-time) WR duo in NFL history.  Off the top of my head, I'm coming up with Randy Moss/Cris Carter, Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt, Jerry Rice/Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice/John Taylor come to mind.. though, I don't think any of them had the same longevity as Marv and Reg.

I don't know if any of us really know Reich's O.  He's been a head coach for 2 years.  When he was an OC in San Diego, he had Antonio Gates (arguably a top 3 receiving TE of all time), so that probably dictated some of his play calling and he also had a future HOF QB in Rivers.  His first year in Indy he had a stud QB (Luck) and a solid Ebron and TY.  His second year, he got thrown a curveball and had Brissett as a QB with a severely depleted WR corps and a major dropoff in Ebron.  

He seems to be able to adjust to the talent he has on the roster.  I'm sure he and Ballard talk almost daily about what Reich really wants/needs to build his desired O.  In the short time he's been an OC or HC, he has had a wide variety of skillsets at his disposal and he seems to adjust pretty well at adjusting his talent to their strengths.

You're right!  There's a number of big guys in this draft at WR.

Have you looked at Bryan Edwards from South Carolina?

I actually like him just as much if not better than Pittman and Jefferson

so far as I've been looking through his clips.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bryan-edwards?id=32194544-5715-7935-d52c-2e0bf57adf37

Listed as a starter within his first two NFL seasons 

Just now, krunk said:

You're right!  There's a number of big guys in this draft at WR.

Have you looked at Bryan Edwards from South Carolina?

I actually like him just as much if not better than Pittman and Jefferson

so far as I've been looking through his clips.

Ballard literally said prior to last year's draft that he looks several years ahead at future drafts.  He said he knew the 2020 draft is loaded with WR talent.  I posted in a couple other threads about Camron Lewis from Tarleton State (where EJ Speed came from), the guy ran a 4.28 forty, 12 reps at 225, 10'9" broad jump, and at 6'1" 185 lbs. is a WR that'll likely be available if not as a UDFA, as a 5-7 round pick.  He's from a small school, but he looks dominant at the level he played at.

I like Bryan Edwards a lot, as well.  He's listed by WalterFootball as the 18th best WR with a 3-4 round projection.  We could easily go with a guy like Reagor with 34 (or a trade back), possibly at 44, and still get Edwards in Round 3 or 4 (or with an additional pick from a trade back).  

Look at prospects 19-24 here: https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php  -- I like all of them as well, and we could likely get at least one of them with our 3rd, 4th (or potentially 5th) round picks.  They're all pretty big guys.  I happen to really like Donavan Peoples-Jones.  Shea Patterson was fairly awful last year as Michigan's QB.  That guy is a freak athlete at 6'2, 212 lbs, with a 4.48 forty and 33 inch arms.  He declined in production from Soph to Junior year, but I think that's more QB play than his talent.  They've got a 3-5 round grade on him.  I don't like all of them, but they have 62 WR prospects on that list, I expect the majority of them to be productive NFL players and the majority of them listed after Edwards have unique size/speed/strength combinations.

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard literally said prior to last year's draft that he looks several years ahead at future drafts.  He said he knew the 2020 draft is loaded with WR talent.  I posted in a couple other threads about Camron Lewis from Tarleton State (where EJ Speed came from), the guy ran a 4.28 forty, 12 reps at 225, 10'9" broad jump, and at 6'1" 185 lbs. is a WR that'll likely be available if not as a UDFA, as a 5-7 round pick.  He's from a small school, but he looks dominant at the level he played at.

I like Bryan Edwards a lot, as well.  He's listed by WalterFootball as the 18th best WR with a 3-4 round projection.  We could easily go with a guy like Reagor with 34 (or a trade back), possibly at 44, and still get Edwards in Round 3 or 4 (or with an additional pick from a trade back).  

Look at prospects 19-24 here: https://walterfootball.com/draft2020WR.php  -- I like all of them as well, and we could likely get at least one of them with our 3rd, 4th (or potentially 5th) round picks.  They're all pretty big guys.  I happen to really like Donavan Peoples-Jones.  Shea Patterson was fairly awful last year as Michigan's QB.  That guy is a freak athlete at 6'2, 212 lbs, with a 4.48 forty and 33 inch arms.  He declined in production from Soph to Junior year, but I think that's more QB play than his talent.  They've got a 3-5 round grade on him.  I don't like all of them, but they have 62 WR prospects on that list, I expect the majority of them to be productive NFL players and the majority of them listed after Edwards have unique size/speed/strength combinations.

I think we'll get at least one big guy out of this draft.  That's why Ballard didn't fight that hard to make sure we retained Devin Funchess. There's a bunch of big ones in this one.

25 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think Campbell is near as shifty as Reagor.  Reagor will break your ankles with his moves.  They are both hella fast though. Also I think Reagor has more experience as a punt returner than Campbell has.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we'll get at least one big guy out of this draft.  That's why Ballard didn't fight that hard to make sure we retained Devin Funchess. There's a bunch of big ones in this one.

Yes, Juwan Johnson (Oregon State) is 6'4, 239 and runs a 4.58 with 34.25 inch arms.  He's got as good, if not better hands than Funch.  He's listed as the 55th prospect by WF.  He is faster and slightly bigger than Funch (6'4 225 with a 4.7 forty).  He didn't put up excellent numbers (in part due to a calf injury that cost him a few games)... but he'll probably be around in rounds 5-7... with proper coaching, he can probably be as good or better than what they wanted from Funch.

Out of the ones I've mentioned and seen so far, Bryan Edwards is the big guy that I want for us as I have familiarized myself with him.  The kid just imposes that big frame on people, he's strong and he's just tough to deal with.  Ballard values those type of traits, particularly the toughness.  I would be very happy to get him and Reagor together.  I think Edwards is a real solid fit.

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Why does Chloe want Pittman lol... 

Also on the Pittman train. Dude is going to be really good and I think would be a perfect fit for the type of WR Rivers has thrived with in the past.

13 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think we can follow Reich's career and make some assumptions about what we know, and also to some extent what we don't know. I think it's better to look at his time with the Chargers and also his first year with Indy, more than his time with Philly (where Pederson called plays). At least that is, to guess his tendencies. As far as adjusting, all coaches have to adjust at some point due to personnel or injury. One thing I would say based on his total body of work, is that he wants a QB that can throw.

4 hours ago, Shive said:

Also on the Pittman train. Dude is going to be really good and I think would be a perfect fit for the type of WR Rivers has thrived with in the past.

Yup. Mike Williams come sot mind recently (6-4). I think he's a bit closer to Claypool than Pittman though. Actually, Williams might be cross between Pittman and Claypool lol.

Archived