Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Smoke317

5 most memorable Peyton Manning Colts Games/Moments?

Someone made a topic asking where we were when Colts finally beat Pats in AFC title game to go to the Super Bowl.  That got me thinking. What are your greatest Peyton Manning games/moments in a Colts uniform?  Mine in no particular order are:

1.  AFC Championship Game comeback.

2.  4th & 2.  
3.  The Monday Night Comeback over the Buccaneers. 
4.  Peyton lifting the Lombardi after the Chip.

5.  The shootout Peyton had with Favre where they nearly didn’t run the ball the entire first half.

49 TD’s & going up to Foxborough & finally beating the Pats in their place (game where Marv made the sick 1 handed catch & spiked it in their face) are also fond memories.

• Like 3

1-2004 play off game against Denver 

Perfect QBR of 158.3  by throwing 22 of 26 for 377 yds and 5 TDs

2-2013 shootout vs Cowboys 4 TDs plus 1 Td running

3-2004 Thanksgiving vs the Lions  6 TDs

4-2004 vs the Packers 5 TDs  2 100 yard receivers and one wasn't Marvin Harrison 

5-2003 vs Tampa Bay  3 TDs in less than 4 minutes.  It broke Tampa Bays back and sent them into a big time slide that Gruden never recovered from. (he lost a couple of wild card game in 2005 and 2007)

• Like 2

I will add Colts beating the Dolphins in 2009 despite the Phins rushing for 240 yards and converting 75% of there third downs and the Colts only having the ball for less than 14 minutes, they win 27-23 on Monday night.  I was at that game, Jimmy Buffett started playing like 10 feet away from me while I was buying a Landshark, it was a great time.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

I will add Colts beating the Dolphins in 2009 despite the Phins rushing for 240 yards and converting 75% of there third downs and the Colts only having the ball for less than 14 minutes, they win 27-23 on Monday night.  I was at that game, Jimmy Buffett started playing like 10 feet away from me while I was buying a Landshark, it was a great time.

That game was and still is unreal. 

• Like 2

Most memorable is a bit different than favorite. Peyton's teams produced some losses that bothered me far more than is reasonable in retrospect and I can remember those games and my mood vividly. I remember that crap.

Pittsburgh 05'.. Being in that crowd that day.. Ugh. I've never seen 60,000 people all say "he missed it" in unison since. 

Favorite memory is the 06' Playoff run and the 15-0 start to the 09' run (that produced another highly memorable moment, but I'll stop now).

Dec 5, 2004

Colts 51 Titans 24

Jeff Fisher had 3 successful on side kicks and 1 fake punt. 

Titans had 21 points in the 1st quarter. 3 the rest of the way. 

Manning was 25-33 for 425 tds and 3 tds.

Edge had 105 yds and 2 tds.

Rob Morris had a 68 yd td on a blocked FG. 

Mine are:

1. The 2006/07 AFC Title Game (Pats at Colts). Peyton played a perfect 2nd half and led us on a final drive beating BB and Brady. To me that was the real SB and it boosted Peyton's legacy big time. Colts win 38-34. Colts AFC Champions!

2. The 2006/07 SB (Colts vs Bears). Peyton played a good game and his game management was real smart. Peyton wins MVP and Colts win the SB 29-17. Holding up the Lombardi trophy is what we play for! :lombardi:

3. The 2009 4th and 2 game (Pats at Colts). Peyton and the Colts were down 34-14 but came back to win 35-34 as Peyton hits Reggie for a TD late in the game. That game put us 9-0 and almost assured we would have HFA that season. That HFA helped as eventually we went on to win the AFC.

4. The 2003 Monday Night game (Colts at Bucs). That comeback win still doesn't seem real to this day. The Bucs had a great defense and were SB Champions. Peyton flipped his machine switch on in the last 5 minutes down by 21. Colts win in OT 38-35.

5. I am going to go with the 2009/10 AFC Title Game (Jets at Colts). Peyton played a near perfect game and threw for 377 Yards. That win sent us to our 2nd SB in 4 seasons, Colts AFC Champions!

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

1-2004 play off game against Denver 

Perfect QBR of 158.3  by throwing 22 of 26 for 377 yds and 5 TDs

2-2013 shootout vs Cowboys 4 TDs plus 1 Td running

3-2004 Thanksgiving vs the Lions  6 TDs

4-2004 vs the Packers 5 TDs  2 100 yard receivers and one wasn't Marvin Harrison 

5-2003 vs Tampa Bay  3 TDs in less than 4 minutes.  It broke Tampa Bays back and sent them into a big time slide that Gruden never recovered from. (he lost a couple of wild card game in 2005 and 2007)

Peyton had some unbelievable games where he/we just massacred teams.  That Thanksgiving Lions game was one of those.  He also slaughtered the Saints in similar fashion.  We could almost always count on 1 or 2 games a season where Tony would pull the starters at the end of the 3rd because of mercy.  I think Peyton could have gotten 8 TD’s a couple times if we were jerks & really pressed for it.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Most memorable is a bit different than favorite. Peyton's teams produced some losses that bothered me far more than is reasonable in retrospect and I can remember those games and my mood vividly. I remember that crap.

Pittsburgh 05'.. Being in that crowd that day.. Ugh. I've never seen 60,000 people all say "he missed it" in unison since. 

Favorite memory is the 06' Playoff run and the 15-0 start to the 09' run (that produced another highly memorable moment, but I'll stop now).

I know exactly what you’re talking about. That Steelers loss & giving up on perfection definitely stung the worst.  Hurt to leave the stadium after those games.  Those back to back losses in Foxborough in the playoffs hurt bad too but at least they were on the road. 

• Like 1

Here's a clip of Belichick discussing why 18-88 was one of the GOAT tandems in NFL history.

Their NFL records together:

• 953 receptions
  • 12,766 yards
  • 112 TDs

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

Great call. I forgot about that game.  Didn’t Peyton hit Clark for a long catch & run td that game?  Also isn’t that the game where Gruden gave Peyton the nickname of The Sheriff?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Great call. I forgot about that game.  Didn’t Peyton hit Clark for a long catch & run td that game?  Also isn’t that the game where Gruden gave Peyton the nickname of The Sheriff?

Highlights here - 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

5. I am going to go with the 2009/10 AFC Title Game (Jets at Colts). Peyton played a near perfect game and threw for 377 Yards. That win sent us to our 2nd SB in 4 seasons, Colts AFC Champions!

Good call.  I’m watching it (Condensed) right now.   I don’t remember garçon being that good.  He dominated early in this one 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Peyton had some unbelievable games where he/we just massacred teams.  That Thanksgiving Lions game was one of those.  He also slaughtered the Saints in similar fashion.  We could almost always count on 1 or 2 games a season where Tony would pull the starters at the end of the 3rd because of mercy.  I think Peyton could have gotten 8 TD’s a couple times if we were jerks & really pressed for it.

Yeah that was true. Unlike Belichick did when Brady and Moss were rolling. Game after game the Patriots would pile on a much less talented team. When questioned about that all Belichick would say if they don't like the scores then play defense. That is one of the reasons the Patriots were known not to have class and sportsmanship. 

21 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Highlights here - 

I was at this game! There are a lot of Colts fans in South Florida, and we were all over that stadium!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mine are:

1. The 2006/07 AFC Title Game (Pats at Colts). Peyton played a perfect 2nd half and led us on a final drive beating BB and Brady. To me that was the real SB and it boosted Peyton's legacy big time. Colts win 38-34. Colts AFC Champions!

2. The 2006/07 SB (Colts vs Bears). Peyton played a good game and his game management was real smart. Peyton wins MVP and Colts win the SB 29-17. Holding up the Lombardi trophy is what we play for! :lombardi:

3. The 2009 4th and 2 game (Pats at Colts). Peyton and the Colts were down 34-14 but came back to win 35-34 as Peyton hits Reggie for a TD late in the game. That game put us 9-0 and almost assured we would have HFA that season. That HFA helped as eventually we went on to win the AFC.

4. The 2003 Monday Night game (Colts at Bucs). That comeback win still doesn't seem real to this day. The Bucs had a great defense and were SB Champions. Peyton flipped his machine switch on in the last 5 minutes down by 21. Colts win in OT 38-35.

My honorable mention would probably be the 2003/04 Divisional Round Game (Colts at Chiefs). We won that 38-31 and if I remember right we didn't punt the whole game lmao . Peyton was a machine that game. We advanced to the AFC Title Game with that win.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My honorable mention would probably be the 2003/04 Divisional Round Game (Colts at Chiefs). We won that 38-31 and if I remember right we didn't punt the whole game lmao . Peyton was a machine that game. We advanced to the AFC Title Game with that win.

Lost in the details is that neither team punted. :) 

We just held the ball long enough to burn the clock out. 

• Like 2

All great games were mentioned already. I'll just add a few more.

AFFCG comeback: 

Manning Favre Shootout. I had just gotten my first Colts hat from the Mall of america and made it back to the hotel to watch this game with my dad. Kinda the solidifying of choosing my own football team to cheer for.

Destroying the evil hoodie and Brady in 05: I was riding high for soo long. Such a  freaking satisfying game.

Thanksgiving day FEAST: What a great way to start off thanksgiving.

05 Shootout with Cinci. Palmer and Johnson were thought of to be the young upcoming Peyton/Marvin

• Like 1

1.  Colts beat the Pats in 06 AFCCG go on to win Super Bowl

2.  MNF comeback 

3.  4th and 2

4.  Rosencopter comeback 

5.  Chargers comeback to break Marino’s single season TD record.

• Like 1

Ok, his rookie season was also memorable. His advice to Burrow absolutely cracks me up!!!