Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR wonderlics

For context....here are the Top 5 all-time NFL Combine Wonderlic scores...

50 — Pat McInally (punter) ...

49 — Mike Mamula (defensive end) ...

48 — Kevin Curtis (wide receiver) ...

48 — Ryan Fitzpatrick (quarterback) ...

48 — Ben Watson (tight end)

So while there is SOME predictability with this measure.... "football smarts" and plain ol' physical ability is where these guys sink or swim.

14 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I really want Pittman! 

AJ Brown was the guy I pounded the table for last year and Pittman is that this year. I think he'll be good as a rookie and has the potential to be a perennial pro-bowler.

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

lots of good players have had bad scores on this test, i dont get why they even do it

i dont think there is any correlation for wonderlic score and nfl success

Perhaps, but I think it'd be a pretty bad look for a QB.

5 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yep... the test DOES require processing speed and is a good indicator of recognition quickness.

With 3-4 targets on typical pass plays... that’s not a shortcoming you’d want in your QB.

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

idk, some great qbs have had bad scores and some bad ones great scores.  it would be tough to find any correlation at all in this data 

the reigning mvp was really bad.  dan marino wasnt much better

56 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

idk, some great qbs have had bad scores and some bad ones great scores.  it would be tough to find any correlation at all in this data 

the reigning mvp was really bad.  dan marino wasnt much better

I saw where a score of 20 could be considered average, and based on that, Mahomes is above average, where Marino is well below.

HOWEVER, though there are outliers, as there are with anything, the vast majority of successful QBs had at least average wonderlic scores, and the vast majority of QBs with lower than average wonderlic scores were not successful.

You can be a genius, but you do need talent. It'd seem to take a lot of talent to overcome an inability to out think your opponent. But it's more than just physical ability and intelligence. I'd think maturity plays a large part in it, and they don't have a score for that at the combine.

Leaf was regarded as being very talented, and scored pretty well on the wonderlic. His lack of maturity was his ruin. And I'm thinking he's far from alone.

I'm thinking a guy like Fromm will be selected a lot higher than we think, as I'm certain many teams don't think it takes a superman QB to win a lot of games. We'll see, though.

16 hours ago, cjrichard said:

What was Marvin Harrisons or Reggie Waynes scores?

Joseph

Reggie Wayne was somewhere in the low teens or something like that (13). He did alright.

Frank Gore's score was 6, go figure. :) 

Last year WR wonderlic scores:

29 JJ. .Arcega-Whiteside

27 Hakeem Butler

26 Miles Boykin

24 N’Keal Harry

21 Marquise Brown

18 A.J. Brown

17 D.K. Metcalf

11 Preston Williams

9 Riley Ridley

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/leaked-wonderlic-test-scores-nfl-draft-2019-01dxee9s7wwz

Here is another list of wonderlic scores if you are interested:

https://iqtestprep.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

Like the article said, it's most likely not going to effect his draft stock. He's going to be a great NFL athlete considering he's healthy and stuff. I remember Frank Gore scoring a 6 but his heart and athletic ability are so high that it's hard to knock him. He's such a sincere guy.

5 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

For context....here are the Top 5 all-time NFL Combine Wonderlic scores...

50 — Pat McInally (punter) ...

49 — Mike Mamula (defensive end) ...

48 — Kevin Curtis (wide receiver) ...

48 — Ryan Fitzpatrick (quarterback) ...

48 — Ben Watson (tight end)

So while there is SOME predictability with this measure.... "football smarts" and plain ol' physical ability is where these guys sink or swim.

I read an article a while back that looked at it and basically seemed to show that while a high wonderlic isn't well correlated with NFL success a low wonderlic is correlated with failure when it comes to QB's.  I forget the number but I think it was something like 21.  

Honestly I think that's sort of how teams look at it if they look at it at all.  Probably doesn't make much of a difference if you got a 50 or a 30.  But if you got a 13, than they start asking themselves if this guy can learn the playbook and make quick decisions.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I read an article a while back that looked at it and basically seemed to show that while a high wonderlic isn't well correlated with NFL success a low wonderlic is correlated with failure when it comes to QB's.  I forget the number but I think it was something like 21.  

Honestly I think that's sort of how teams look at it if they look at it at all.  Probably doesn't make much of a difference if you got a 50 or a 30.  But if you got a 13, than they start asking themselves if this guy can learn the playbook and make quick decisions.  

i'd need to see more data around it. While i understand you need to understand the play calling. Which the OC helps you with. Knowing when to get rid of the ball or to throw with anticipation doesnt equate to wonderlic scores. football success has to do with talent but lets not act like going to the right team under the right circumstances don't help with that.

I'd love to see some baseball/basketball test scores as well we'd be suprised with our useless this metric is.

The more I learn of Claypool the more I’m liking him. He fills a position need at WR he’s smart and is a competitor. He just seems like a WR Ballard would like. 

This is from an Indy Star article in September

“Claypool’s unselfishness and willingness to mentor younger receivers, even if it means the ball doesn’t come his way as often, has resonated as well”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/2343124001

20 hours ago, buccolts said:

I saw where a score of 20 could be considered average, and based on that, Mahomes is above average, where Marino is well below.

HOWEVER, though there are outliers, as there are with anything, the vast majority of successful QBs had at least average wonderlic scores, and the vast majority of QBs with lower than average wonderlic scores were not successful.

sure there are score outliers going both ways, but many studies have been done on this and nothing very conclusive came out of it for most positions.

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I read an article a while back that looked at it and basically seemed to show that while a high wonderlic isn't well correlated with NFL success a low wonderlic is correlated with failure when it comes to QB's.

id like to see that one, i looked at several myself and they did not come to that conclusion 

Wikipedia has a round up of studies done on this

Archived