Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scott's Final Mock Draft complete with UDFA's

Pulling a classic Ballard move, and knowing the depth at his positions of need, he orchestrates a trade to move back from 34 to 39 (picking up and extra 2020 pick and a 2021 2nd Rounder. He doubles down a few minutes later and trades the 44th for the 52nd (and picking up 2 extra in 2020)!

In my mind this draft is already an A due to the Buckner trade!

***Round 1 - Traded to 49ers for Pro Bowl DT DeForest Buckner

***Round 2-34- Traded to Miami for R2#39, R4#141, and a 2021 R2

Round 2-39- (From Miami) Michael Pittman, WR, USC

***Round 2-44- Traded to Rams for R2#52, R4#126, and R6#199

Round 2-52- (From Rams) Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

Round 3-75- Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma

Round 4-122- Alex Highsmith, DE, Charlotte

Round 4-126- (From Rams) Matt Peart, OT, UConn

Round 4-141- (From Miami) Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue

Round 5-160- Michael Ojemudia, CB, Iowa

***Round 5-162- (Traded Q. Wilson to Seattle) Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State

Round 6-193- Lamar Jackson, CB, Nebraska

Round 6-197- Kyle Murphy, OG, Rhode Island

Round 6-199- (From Rams) Michael Warren II, RB, Cincinnatti

UDFA

Cameron Clark, OL, Charlotte - Played LT for Charlotte but is probably better suited as a guard. Has adequate size and length (34+ inch arms) but needs to hit a professional strength and conditioning program.

Darnell Mooney, WR, Tulane – The Green Wave aren’t known for producing a lot of NFL players, but, he has a 4.38 forty and production enough to get him a look as a Z/Slot in our system. At the very least slide him into the PS and stash him for a year learning from TY as they are similar in stature and abilities.

Charlie Taumoepeau - TE/FB - Portland State - 6'3" & 245lbs

Devin Asiasi, TE, UCLA – One good year (2019) on tape due to transfers and playing on the West coast he kind of fly’s under the radar, but a good receiving threat for a TE – 4.73 speed

Tyler Huntley, QB, Utah - Was also one of the most accurate passers in college football (actually rated higher than Gordon for those that didn't know). Operated from the Pistol, Under Center and traditional Shotgun formations. Strong, accurate arm and runs a good RPO. Would be the perfect back-up (in style) to our drafted QB, Jalen hurts - provided he can beat out the uber kinder Chad Kelly on the practice squad.

Garrett Marino, DT, UAB – All motor all the time, relentlessly pursues the ball, bulldog mentality – what’s not to like about that? 6’2” and 288lbs, 30 1/8” arms (not ideal), but benched 35 reps so he is strong as a bull and his motor never stops. Good guy to have on the PS

Oluwole Betiku, DE, Illinois – Kind of an enigma as he has probably the fastest first step of any pass rusher but only really had one good season at IL as a senior after leaving USC. With pro coaching and the watchful eyes and tutelage of Mathis and Houston he could be an absolute steal as an UDFA. 4.69 40, 19 Reps at 225 at 6’3” and 249lbs with 33 inch arms

Tim Bonner, LB, FAU – small school prospect with good first step, good bend and closing speed, also has extensive special teams coverage abilities – a Last Chance U grad. 6’3” and 239lbs with 33.5” arms.

Davion Taylor, LB, Colorado - Not very tall at 6'0" but ran a 4.49 40 and has 32+ inch arms so he meets the length requirements. Could supplant Moore, Franklin or Adams as a back-up LB or special teamer.

Gavin Heslop - CB - Stony Brook - 6'0" & 197lbs, 32" arms, 4..58 40-Yard Dash and a 6.88 3-Cone Drill

Thakarius Keyes, CB, Tulane - At 6'1" and 201lbs with 32+ inch arms he meets the height/weight/size/speed measurables PLUS he didn't play football of any kind until his junior year of high school and basically red-shirted two years in college so this kid has room for the potential to grow into production. Stash him on the PS for the year and let him learn and listen in the DB room.

Dylan Wilson, CB, Northwestern State – Has all the measurables and ball sills aplenty, just played for a small school so no limelight. 6’3” and 200lbs

Javin White - SS - UNLV - 6'2" & 211lbs, 32 3/4" Arms

Patrick Nelson, SS, SMU - An unheralded but productive CB/FS/SS/LB hybrid that literally played all over the field (just like Odum did at Central Arkansas) though at 5'11" and 213lbs he will look just like Khari Willis out there and actually plays Tight Ends and the box pretty well - as his strong suits. brings solid depth and tons of experience with him from both SMU and Illinois.

Great effort

You have some complexities, with the trades but I can see them POSSIBLY doing a  trade if their best candidates would still be available at 44

Having 4 picks in round 2-3 could yield 4 future starters

But..... I just don’t see Jalen Hurts as an NFL starter, let alone a needed franchise QB

There are some processing and accuracy issues that will be magnified in the pros.

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great effort

You have some complexities, with the trades but I can see them POSSIBLY doing a  trade if their best candidates would still be available at 44

Having 4 picks in round 2-3 could yield 4 future starters

But..... I just don’t see Jalen Hurts as an NFL starter, let alone a needed franchise QB

There are some processing and accuracy issues that will be magnified in the pros.

After submitting I second guessed myself and thought about Fromm in that spot....instead of Hurts.

But thank you for the kudos on the rest.

I find it hard to see two WRs back to back in the second.  I see him taking a RB with one of those picks especially since you traded back.  BPA.  I could see Hurts or Fromm in the 3rd Rd.  I still find it hard to believe he will draft a TE with such a bad class.  Seems like a wasted pick in the 4th rd. to me.    Great effort for sure though.  

Fun read. I don’t believe the Colts need that many draft picks. They need higher quality, not quantity. That said, I’m intrigued by the Pittman Claypool back to back choices. I can see Claypool as a move TE. Maybe a dominant one. 

Peart Hopkins and Ojemudia are all solid choices. 

Thanks for doing this Scott. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Fun read. I don’t believe the Colts need that many draft picks. They need higher quality, not quantity. That said, I’m intrigued by the Pittman Claypool back to back choices. I can see Claypool as a move TE. Maybe a dominant one. 

Peart Hopkins and Ojemudia are all solid choices. 

Thanks for doing this Scott. 

I also believe we are at the stage now where quality is preferable to quantity.

The last few years, the roster was depleted, especially on defense.  So, CB traded down to fill the need for bodies.  I think we are (mostly) past that now and drafting a lot of players will mean that too many might not make the roster.  Might as well fill the fewer roster spots with the highest quality we can get.

We might well have another trade-down where it makes sense, but I would equally expect a trade-up.  I expect to see more of the type of maneuver CB did to get Khari Willis.

That much trade activity is kind of a “roided up” scenario even for Ballard, and I don’t believe that he’ll bring another QB aboard in this draft.... but that aside.... it’s a nice slate of selections there, Scott.

WR Pittman and Claypool (TE/WR) should provide solid targets for Philip.... and I like Michael Warren as a late round steal. Good job!

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I find it hard to see two WRs back to back in the second.  I see him taking a RB with one of those picks especially since you traded back.  BPA.  I could see Hurts or Fromm in the 3rd Rd.  I still find it hard to believe he will draft a TE with such a bad class.  Seems like a wasted pick in the 4th rd. to me.    Great effort for sure though.  

A poor class at any position doesn’t mean you don’t take one.   I don’t understand this thinking?  

If you like the player and trust your scouts and the grade you’ve given the player then you take him.   Period.

Everything else is over thinking. 

Archived