Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

On 4/16/2020 at 1:22 PM, Colt1841 said:

Hopefully our future.:thmup:

5e8a5facc9faf.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Yea, our future backup QB.. No way this guy will ever be a starter long term in the NFL

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This is why he traded pick 13 for Buckner.  He guaranteed the Colts would receive a premium player with the pick.  This draft is already a success with our 1st pick.  Now let's hope a player with a 1st round grade on his board falls to us at 34.  So far so good. 

 

8 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

premium players? Not one general manager thinks they are getting a premium player on day 2. Premium players are top 8-10 in every draft. 
 

quality players and potential immediate starters? Absolutely. There are plenty in this deep draft. But we aren’t getting a premium player. We got him with our 13th this year... 


I wholeheartedly agree. Buckner was too good to pass up, but only because we weren’t getting anyone of similar caliber at 13. Would we have given up a top 6-8 pick? Doubtful.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


premium players? Not one general manager thinks they are getting a premium player on day 2. Premium players are top 8-10 in every draft. 
 

quality players and potential immediate starters? Absolutely. There are plenty in this deep draft. But we aren’t getting a premium player. We got him with our 13th this year... 

I disagree with you , day 1 & 2 are your best chances to get a premium player. A guy with a high ceiling that can come in and contribute DAY 1 at a high level is imo a premium player. Not sure what your definition is but that’s my personal opinion. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I disagree with you , day 1 & 2 are your best chances to get a premium player. A guy with a high ceiling that can come in and contribute DAY 1 at a high level is imo a premium player. Not sure what your definition is but that’s my personal opinion. 

Full House Reaction GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I disagree with you , day 1 & 2 are your best chances to get a premium player. A guy with a high ceiling that can come in and contribute DAY 1 at a high level is imo a premium player. Not sure what your definition is but that’s my personal opinion. 


my definition is what Ballard spelled it out as in 2018 draft when he said they had 8 premium players in the entire Draft... which I posted above, if you’d like to go back and read. 
 

So I’ll take Ballard’s opinion of “premium” players over your opinion of a guy that can contribute on Day 1. That’s not a premium player. If they don’t go round one and top 32, they aren’t even close to being picked at a premium. Premium guys are the top 8-10 players that teams are either trading up to get, or declining trades to stay where they are to ensure they get them. That’s my definition. They are players that “can make game-winning plays.” You are way off. 
 

And as I said earlier, Darius Leonard turned into that guy. If you redraft, he’s likely a premium player picked in the top 10. But he wasn’t a premium player in the draft on anyone’s board, which is why we got him on day 2... Quenton Nelson was a premium player. DeForest Buckner was a premium player, and is an even more premium player now which is why we gave up our 13th pick... because we weren’t getting anyone of that caliber at 13. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


my definition is what Ballard spelled it out as in 2018 draft when he said they had 8 premium players in the entire Draft... which I posted above, if you’d like to go back and read. 
 

So I’ll take Ballard’s opinion of “premium” players over your opinion of a guy that can contribute on Day 1. That’s not a premium player. If they don’t go round one and top 32, they aren’t even close to being picked at a premium. Premium guys are the top 8-10 players that teams are either trading up to get, or declining trades to stay where they are to ensure they get them. That’s my definition. They are players that “can make game-winning plays.” You are way off. 
 

And as I said earlier, Darius Leonard turned into that guy. If you redraft, he’s likely a premium player picked in the top 10. But he wasn’t a premium player in the draft on anyone’s board, which is why we got him on day 2... Quenton Nelson was a premium player. DeForest Buckner was a premium player, and is an even more premium player now which is why we gave up our 13th pick... because we weren’t getting anyone of that caliber at 13. 


Because Chris Ballards word is the end all be all? If you really believe that “premium” players are only available at picks 1-8 you are a extremely naive.  But you’re entitled to your own opinion or in your case your entitled to someone else’s opinion and I’m entitled to mines. Rod Woodson , Tony Gonzalez , Warren Sapp, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison , & Reggie Wayne were all drafted after picks 1-8 in the first round. You really believe those guys weren’t premium players? Yea alright The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:


Because Chris Ballards word is the end all be all? If you really believe that “premium” players are only available at picks 1-8 you are a extremely naive.  But you’re entitled to your own opinion or in your case your entitled to someone else’s opinion and I’m entitled to mines. Rod Woodson , Tony Gonzalez , Warren Sapp, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison , & Reggie Wayne were all drafted after picks 1-8 in the first round. You really believe those guys weren’t premium players? Yea alright The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE


geez... I trust Ballard’s opinion on nfl scouting over any on this board and I’ll stand by that. He said there were 8 non qb premium players in the 2018 draft. There were 4 qb’s picked in the top 10, so that would mean there were premium graded players available up to at least 12 that year. Probably most years. Your list? That’s cute. Rod Woodson-10th overall. Tony Gonzalez- 13th overall. Warren Sapp - 12th overall.... Those guys would have likely been identified as “premium players” by Ballard. The rest of that list were all first round guys and in the case of Marvin and Reggie- paired with the GOAT at qb which elevated their games to hall of farmers. Randy Moss was projected top 5 but most were afraid of his legal problems, but you knew that right? Ray Lewis? Top inside linebacker but teams were afraid of his size, so he dropped to later in the first round. Your list pretty well goes in line with Ballard’s commentary on the premium players. 
 

This was all about Ballard’s comments on premium players and what he (and Ed Dodds, one of the best eyes for talent in the league) considers players a step above everyone else. There will always be players that play above their draft spot. Tom Brady is arguably the most premium player of all time, but he wasn’t coming in to the league and was drafted accordingly. 
 

Trading for Buckner tells me that after identifying the “premium players” in this draft, the Colts front office didn’t feel good about their prospects of getting one at 13. They got their premium player in Buckner with that pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see the sense in trading up for a QB who is then going to sit on the bench for a year--it's not as if the guys in this draft beyond Burrows and Tia are anything special

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

I just don't see the sense in trading up for a QB who is then going to sit on the bench for a year--it's not as if the guys in this draft beyond Burrows and Tia are anything special


Solely for the 5th year option. That would be the reasoning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Probably a good thing, so all the haters can celebrate and get over it lol. My only hope is he didn't get cut for falling of the wagon and did something stupid again. And only hope he keep on the straight and narrow regardless of what he does in the future.
    • He said not coaches or one day contracts which is how those guys did.   I forgot about him, but he also is more of the not bigger named guy. He had less than a fullseason of total games over the 2 years he was there
    • Look man I don’t know what’s going on in there and you don’t either. I’m sure he is likable because so many people say it.  But I would be surprised if there weren’t several guys who were rolling their eyes when they brought JB in on that goal line play.  I’d also be surprised if many players weren’t aware that JB has gotten a lot of praise and more importantly so much money with such an abysmal number of horrific QBR games and he got progressively worse. I would be absolutely shocked if offensive players weren’t happy PR was brought in.  JB is also a stat killer which leads to lost money.     I don’t think JB gives a team a very good chance of winning any game.     I can see why people look at the 5and 2 but JB was not any good overall the first 7 games and was godawful in his last 7.     hes 27 or so and has no future here.  We have to develop someone or start losing a lot quickly for draft position because this team will need someone soon.   There is a few types of players I’d prefer. 1. A vet who has won some games.  Hasselbach, Foles,  Smith types.2.  A lights out athlete that might be able to shock another team if he has to come in for a game or two. 3.  Or someone being developed.   if we knew we had our guy, that would be one thing.   i totally wanted rivers and am glad we have him but he is on short time.  I think you are wasting a spot.   we could have had newton, Winston, dalton and a number of others As backups.  if we were really that serious about this year.  We could have cut JB and signed two of those guys if we wanted to.p without losing any money.        
    • Yeah listing the defense is a little tougher. I have to think about it. Offense was pretty easy. Leaving Edge off bothers me but Dickerson was better IMO and played here long enough to make this team. Dickerson was better than Faulk as well at least IMO. 
    • Well that’s the thing trey back they are healthy at TE now as Doyle played last week and Mo has been ballin out.
  • Members

    • wordofmouth

      wordofmouth 157

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 2,481

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 507

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fisticuffs111

      Fisticuffs111 2,446

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 459

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • VaAllDay757

      VaAllDay757 626

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MB-ColtsFan

      MB-ColtsFan 2,076

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 6,395

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fluke_33

      Fluke_33 1,817

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • aaron11

      aaron11 2,744

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...