Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Fran trade

ColtStrong2013

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This is why he traded pick 13 for Buckner.  He guaranteed the Colts would receive a premium player with the pick.  This draft is already a success with our 1st pick.  Now let's hope a player with a 1st round grade on his board falls to us at 34.  So far so good. 

8 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

premium players? Not one general manager thinks they are getting a premium player on day 2. Premium players are top 8-10 in every draft. 

quality players and potential immediate starters? Absolutely. There are plenty in this deep draft. But we aren’t getting a premium player. We got him with our 13th this year... 

I wholeheartedly agree. Buckner was too good to pass up, but only because we weren’t getting anyone of similar caliber at 13. Would we have given up a top 6-8 pick? Doubtful.

9 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

premium players? Not one general manager thinks they are getting a premium player on day 2. Premium players are top 8-10 in every draft. 

quality players and potential immediate starters? Absolutely. There are plenty in this deep draft. But we aren’t getting a premium player. We got him with our 13th this year... 

I disagree with you , day 1 & 2 are your best chances to get a premium player. A guy with a high ceiling that can come in and contribute DAY 1 at a high level is imo a premium player. Not sure what your definition is but that’s my personal opinion. 

14 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I disagree with you , day 1 & 2 are your best chances to get a premium player. A guy with a high ceiling that can come in and contribute DAY 1 at a high level is imo a premium player. Not sure what your definition is but that’s my personal opinion. 

my definition is what Ballard spelled it out as in 2018 draft when he said they had 8 premium players in the entire Draft... which I posted above, if you’d like to go back and read. 

So I’ll take Ballard’s opinion of “premium” players over your opinion of a guy that can contribute on Day 1. That’s not a premium player. If they don’t go round one and top 32, they aren’t even close to being picked at a premium. Premium guys are the top 8-10 players that teams are either trading up to get, or declining trades to stay where they are to ensure they get them. That’s my definition. They are players that “can make game-winning plays.” You are way off. 

And as I said earlier, Darius Leonard turned into that guy. If you redraft, he’s likely a premium player picked in the top 10. But he wasn’t a premium player in the draft on anyone’s board, which is why we got him on day 2... Quenton Nelson was a premium player. DeForest Buckner was a premium player, and is an even more premium player now which is why we gave up our 13th pick... because we weren’t getting anyone of that caliber at 13. 

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

my definition is what Ballard spelled it out as in 2018 draft when he said they had 8 premium players in the entire Draft... which I posted above, if you’d like to go back and read. 

So I’ll take Ballard’s opinion of “premium” players over your opinion of a guy that can contribute on Day 1. That’s not a premium player. If they don’t go round one and top 32, they aren’t even close to being picked at a premium. Premium guys are the top 8-10 players that teams are either trading up to get, or declining trades to stay where they are to ensure they get them. That’s my definition. They are players that “can make game-winning plays.” You are way off. 

And as I said earlier, Darius Leonard turned into that guy. If you redraft, he’s likely a premium player picked in the top 10. But he wasn’t a premium player in the draft on anyone’s board, which is why we got him on day 2... Quenton Nelson was a premium player. DeForest Buckner was a premium player, and is an even more premium player now which is why we gave up our 13th pick... because we weren’t getting anyone of that caliber at 13. 

Because Chris Ballards word is the end all be all? If you really believe that “premium” players are only available at picks 1-8 you are a extremely naive.  But you’re entitled to your own opinion or in your case your entitled to someone else’s opinion and I’m entitled to mines. Rod Woodson , Tony Gonzalez , Warren Sapp, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison , & Reggie Wayne were all drafted after picks 1-8 in the first round. You really believe those guys weren’t premium players? Yea alright The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Because Chris Ballards word is the end all be all? If you really believe that “premium” players are only available at picks 1-8 you are a extremely naive.  But you’re entitled to your own opinion or in your case your entitled to someone else’s opinion and I’m entitled to mines. Rod Woodson , Tony Gonzalez , Warren Sapp, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison , & Reggie Wayne were all drafted after picks 1-8 in the first round. You really believe those guys weren’t premium players? Yea alright The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

geez... I trust Ballard’s opinion on nfl scouting over any on this board and I’ll stand by that. He said there were 8 non qb premium players in the 2018 draft. There were 4 qb’s picked in the top 10, so that would mean there were premium graded players available up to at least 12 that year. Probably most years. Your list? That’s cute. Rod Woodson-10th overall. Tony Gonzalez- 13th overall. Warren Sapp - 12th overall.... Those guys would have likely been identified as “premium players” by Ballard. The rest of that list were all first round guys and in the case of Marvin and Reggie- paired with the GOAT at qb which elevated their games to hall of farmers. Randy Moss was projected top 5 but most were afraid of his legal problems, but you knew that right? Ray Lewis? Top inside linebacker but teams were afraid of his size, so he dropped to later in the first round. Your list pretty well goes in line with Ballard’s commentary on the premium players. 

This was all about Ballard’s comments on premium players and what he (and Ed Dodds, one of the best eyes for talent in the league) considers players a step above everyone else. There will always be players that play above their draft spot. Tom Brady is arguably the most premium player of all time, but he wasn’t coming in to the league and was drafted accordingly. 

Trading for Buckner tells me that after identifying the “premium players” in this draft, the Colts front office didn’t feel good about their prospects of getting one at 13. They got their premium player in Buckner with that pick. 

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

I just don't see the sense in trading up for a QB who is then going to sit on the bench for a year--it's not as if the guys in this draft beyond Burrows and Tia are anything special

Solely for the 5th year option. That would be the reasoning.

Archived