Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Fran trade

ColtStrong2013

One thing I have yet to see is a prediction of us trading 34 with SF to get their 31st pick. Fan duel has our highest odds selecting Jordan Love first in the draft. Is it plausible to think Ballard has already dealt that pick if the scenario of Jordan Love (or someone else) falling to 31 happens? This could have been the inner workings of the Buckner trade. It would make sense for both parties as SF could pick up an extra pick for moving 3 spots down, and Indy could get their guy and the 5th year option that the first round brings. 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see Ballard make some trades to move back up. But it will cost more than 34. 

Obviously. But moving up just 3 spots from 34 is worth maybe a 4th round pick. Moving up further than that is where it’s going to cost multiple or high round picks in 2021. 

9 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

Remember last year we moved down a few spots with Washington. It cost them 2 second rounders.  Without Ballard already picking up wide receivers in free agency, I just don’t see it happening this year. 

wont cost that much to go from 34 to 32.  the 5th year option is worth a lot of money if its for a franchise qb, a move like this could make sense 

The same thing has crossed my mind too. The trade we had for Buckner where nothing leaked until the deal was done might have established trust and a good working relationship with the Niners that might help us make a deal with them on draft day, be it for 31 if we want to move up at the end of the first or elsewhere in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if we did some trade with them next week.

If Jordan Love gets past NE in the 1st Rd then I would question the notion that he is a 1st rd talent.  The opinions of him are all over the place.  We weren't ready to sit there at 13 to take him.  I am still of the belief Ballard is going to want players that will contribute immediately from the second round and I still think the more likely move is drafting Hurts or Fromm if they want to draft a QB.   

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If Jordan Love gets past NE in the 1st Rd then I would question the notion that he is a 1st rd talent.  The opinions of him are all over the place.  We weren't ready to sit there at 13 to take him.  I am still of the belief Ballard is going to want players that will contribute immediately from the second round and I still think the more likely move is drafting Hurts or Fromm if they want to draft a QB.   

I don’t disagree, which is why I put the (or someone else) in there.

52 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

Remember last year we moved down a few spots with Washington. It cost them 2 second rounders.  Without Ballard already picking up wide receivers in free agency, I just don’t see it happening this year. 

#1) that was moving up from 46 to 26.. huge jump and right in line on the draft value chart when looking at it. Redskins were probably hoping for better season than what they got, so we  ended up with good value with the 34th pick this year. 

#2) the receiver class is so loaded this draft that Mel Kiper says there will be 1st and 2nd round graded players well into the second and third days... I think he’ll be fine with what he can get this draft. 

#3) a fifth year option, especially at qb is what makes first round players so valuable. The Ravens are going to enjoy that luxury on Lamar Jackson, regardless of what they gave up to move up and get him.

I'm sorry, Love fans, but I just don't see Ballard giving up anything for any questionable QB who might sit for a couple of years and take some "garbage time" snaps behind Rivers. There are too many other holes to fill right now, especially WR, CB, and possibly OT and TE. There isn't a true "franchise" QB prospect after Burrow, Tua, and possibly Herbert are off the board. JB is still on the roster, at least as of today, and carrying a third QB on the 53-man roster just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If I was betting on this, my money would be on the best available WR with #34, and the best available CB with #44. Using #44 for Kmet wouldn't break my heart either. 

11 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I'm sorry, Love fans, but I just don't see Ballard giving up anything for any questionable QB who might sit for a couple of years and take some "garbage time" snaps behind Rivers. There are too many other holes to fill right now, especially WR, CB, and possibly OT and TE. There isn't a true "franchise" QB prospect after Burrow, Tua, and possibly Herbert are off the board. JB is still on the roster, at least as of today, and carrying a third QB on the 53-man roster just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If I was betting on this, my money would be on the best available WR with #34, and the best available CB with #44. Using #44 for Kmet wouldn't break my heart either. 

Many said the same thing when a team traded up for a system QB with questionable decision making (Mahomes)

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Many said the same thing when a team traded up for a system QB with questionable decision making (Mahomes)

Mahomes sure is the flavor of the day. 

In reality I don't have a clue or an assumption what Ballard is going to do. He keeps everything close to the vest. (like the Buckner trade) 

He may have something cooking up none of us have even thought about? :dunno:

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In reality I don't have a clue or an assumption what Ballard is going to do. He keeps everything close to the vest. (like the Buckner trade) 

Mahomes is that great, he is on Luck's level. That should've been the next great rivalry = Mahomes vs Luck but Luck decided to play Mr Mom lmao . I would like to see Mahomes vs Wilson in a SB but the Seahawks don't have the defense anymore to get there.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I could see him moving up or back +/- 10 positions with either 34 or 44. Or even both. I do think he'd grab Love if he fell to 34 (lot of mocks and BBs have him sliding), and I could see us moving up a little to grab him. It's going to be interesting. I'll certainly be watching closely on Thursday night even though we don't have a pick.

I could also see us moving back a bit from 34, as I know there will be a good X still available at 44. I really don't see us going with a non-X WR at 34. If we don't grab an X like Claypool, Pittman, or even a big hybrid guy like Mimms if available, I'll be pretty disappointed. The only WR I'd take at 34 or move up for a little is a guy like Higgins if he fell to the mid 20s. He's played every position. If we grab another 6-1 or below WR early, I'll be like WTH... 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mahomes is that great, he is on Luck's level. That should've been the next great rivalry = Mahomes vs Luck but Luck decided to play Mr Mom lmao . I would like to see Mahomes vs Wilson in a SB but the Seahawks don't have the defense anymore to get there.

If Luck and Wilson had a baby... it would be Patrick Mahomes

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

spoilers GIF

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see Ballard make some trades to move back up. But it will cost more than 34. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers is our quarterback the next 3 years. So I don't see the quarterback taken early in this draft at all

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

One thing I have yet to see is a prediction of us trading 34 with SF to get their 31st pick. Fan duel has our highest odds selecting Jordan Love first in the draft. Is it plausible to think Ballard has already dealt that pick if the scenario of Jordan Love (or someone else) falling to 31 happens? This could have been the inner workings of the Buckner trade. It would make sense for both parties as SF could pick up an extra pick for moving 3 spots down, and Indy could get their guy and the 5th year option that the first round brings. 

I have a bit of a hard time believing that in that Buckner deal, Ballard said to John Lynch "...and if Jordan Love falls to 31, we'll swap with you to screw Belichek over and you'll give us a good deal by only wanting our 34 and a late round pick."

If anything, I'd expect us to trade slightly down from 34 unless a stud OL, WR, or CB slipped through the first round.  There is so much WR talent in this draft, if we traded 34 back a few spots, we could still easily use a 2nd rounder on quality WR and a later round on one or 2 more and use the extra pick from a trade to fill depth at other positions (like OL).  

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard mentioned something after the Buckner trade that we're in a position where we can make more trades if we have to due to our 2 second rounds picks (though, I don't think he indicated whether it be up or down).

3 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

With the roster expansion, it may allow for us to carry Rivers, Jacoby (or Kelly) and another QB (perhaps a rookie, or perhaps Rivers, Jacoby and Kelly if they fear Kelly being claimed by another team).  It'll be interesting to see how Ballard handles that whole deal, it's partially confusing, and outlined below.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28901832/nfl-cba-approved-players-get-new-deal-how-expanded-playoffs-schedule-work

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That is true... the draft pundits do not always get it correct.  Some of the big differences between Mahomes and Love though is Mahomes was a 2-1/2 year starter, improved every year as a starter and put up monster numbers every year, showed improvement in going through progressions, running the huddle, making the right read and reading defenses presnap.

But most draft sites, except for Walterfootball, had him as a 3rd rounder.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yep..... or he may wait til draft day.....

I see him giving up the pick for more picks... more than the other way around

I could see us trading down again, if there are many WR's that grade out similarity then lets get another second round pick from somebody. We need WR, CB and DE and three picks in the second could fit those needs. I really think we will not draft a QB until the later rounds. 

Round 2 and 3 are for immediate needs. I see Rivers playing here for 2 or 3 years if he does well   

10 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I agree with you.  Only I think Colts take  a WR at #34 and a tight end at #44.  Ballard simply has to add more weapons for Rivers.  All signal points to this being a win now mode season.  If the Colts do draft a QB then I expect it will happen no earlier than the 3rd round or probably even later. 

15 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I personally think we are sitting in a pretty good position to draft two premium players on day two. I really hope that they don’t mortgage any draft capital to move up.

premium players? Not one general manager thinks they are getting a premium player on day 2. Premium players are top 8-10 in every draft. 

quality players and potential immediate starters? Absolutely. There are plenty in this deep draft. But we aren’t getting a premium player. We got him with our 13th this year... 

16 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers is our quarterback the next 3 years. So I don't see the quarterback taken early in this draft at all

I said from the day it happened, bringing Rivers in is not a one year ordeal in theory. If it works out this year, he’s here for at least another, likely two. And Ballard has repeatedly said he would not force the issue at qb. Rivers is the guy for the next few years. I’m not sure we take a qb at all this draft. If JB is staying put for his last year on contract, we aren’t drafting one, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

premium players? Not one general manager thinks they are getting a premium player on day 2. Premium players are top 8-10 in every draft. 

quality players and potential immediate starters? Absolutely. There are plenty in this deep draft. But we aren’t getting a premium player. We got him with our 13th this year... 

I don't think Ballard thinks he cant find a premium player on day two. That is his mindset and he has found a premium player on day two a couple of times. 

There is a difference between a 1st round grade and a premium player.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think Ballard thinks he cant find a premium player on day two. That is his mindset and he has found a premium player on day two a couple of times. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/21/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-8-premium-players-2018-nfl-draft/amp/

Not including any of the quarterback prospects, Colts general manager Chris Ballard told the media Friday at his pre-draft press conference that he feels there are eight premium players in this draft.

What’s his definition of a premium player?

“A guy that we think makes an impact and a difference for our team on game day,” Ballard said. “Makes game-winning plays for us. Guys that on Monday and Tuesday, the other team is game planning.”

This is what came to mind immediately when I saw premium player commented and why I responded. I remembered Ballard’s emphasis when we traded back to 6. He felt good about that because he KNEW he was getting a premium player in Quenton Nelson or whoever wasn’t selected had someone picked Nelson before... and he was correct. He ended up getting a premium player, by definition, in Darius Leonard, but no one knew he would be that caliber of player. That’s the toss up outside of the top 8-10 premium non quarterback players in almost every draft. 8-10 are immediate game wreckers. Everyone else is up in the air or needs development. 

42 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/21/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-8-premium-players-2018-nfl-draft/amp/

Not including any of the quarterback prospects, Colts general manager Chris Ballard told the media Friday at his pre-draft press conference that he feels there are eight premium players in this draft.

What’s his definition of a premium player?

“A guy that we think makes an impact and a difference for our team on game day,” Ballard said. “Makes game-winning plays for us. Guys that on Monday and Tuesday, the other team is game planning.”

This is what came to mind immediately when I saw premium player commented and why I responded. I remembered Ballard’s emphasis when we traded back to 6. He felt good about that because he KNEW he was getting a premium player in Quenton Nelson or whoever wasn’t selected had someone picked Nelson before... and he was correct. He ended up getting a premium player, by definition, in Darius Leonard, but no one knew he would be that caliber of player. That’s the toss up outside of the top 8-10 premium non quarterback players in almost every draft. 8-10 are immediate game wreckers. Everyone else is up in the air or needs development. 

This is why he traded pick 13 for Buckner.  He guaranteed the Colts would receive a premium player with the pick.  This draft is already a success with our 1st pick.  Now let's hope a player with a 1st round grade on his board falls to us at 34.  So far so good. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

For most guys drafted in the 2nd Round  today have 1st Round grades in all but one or two areas

Archived