Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Life - Bobby Okereke

CR91

2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Wow, heckuva story!

Son of Nigerian immigrants, Eagle scout, sang at Carnegie Hall, graduated Stanford, now working on his Masters degree. Hard not to like this kid!

I act like I've done a lot when I throw out the garbage.

Definitely a fan of his, awesome story so far.

47 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Interested to see if he is just a situational player or if he can really make an impact on this team?  I like what I saw so far and it's up to the staff to make him a star!!!

I think we've already seen he can make an impact on this team.  He's a versatile defender and he's fast, athletic and versatile.

My guess this year will be that Walker will be the starter in the middle in our base package with Leonard and Bobby at OLB.  I imagine in nickel packages we'll see Bobby and Leonard as our LBers.  He seems a bit more athletic and better in pass situations than Walker, IMO.

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Interested to see if he is just a situational player or if he can really make an impact on this team?  I like what I saw so far and it's up to the staff to make him a star!!!

Pretty sure hes a starter already, isn't he? If hes a starter as a rookie I'd guess hes going to become a high impact player.

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think we've already seen he can make an impact on this team.  He's a versatile defender and he's fast, athletic and versatile.

My guess this year will be that Walker will be the starter in the middle in our base package with Leonard and Bobby at OLB.  I imagine in nickel packages we'll see Bobby and Leonard as our LBers.  He seems a bit more athletic and better in pass situations than Walker, IMO.

It's good to see there is a spot for both Walker and Bobby as both bring unique skills that are essential to this D!  It's up to the staff to utilize each talents!

9 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

It's good to see there is a spot for both Walker and Bobby as both bring unique skills that are essential to this D!  It's up to the staff to utilize each talents!

I'm very interested to see if/how EJ Speed gets utilized next year.  He is a very good athlete with an 80 inch wing span.  His major knocks coming out of Tarleton State were: 1) small school, 2) lack of upper body strength, 3) lack of experience (he went to Tarleton State as a WR after being a QB in HS -- made the switch to DE as a sophomore).   

Darius Leonard said last year that he saw a lot of himself in EJ Speed.  Ballard said at some point during the offseason that Speed has all the physical traits to succeed and contribute to this D as he gets more acclimated to the NFL.

8 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

If I'm a betting man and your wondering who we will draft next, I'd bet the farm that they are all leaders and come from strong programs!  It's a Colts thing!

What do you consider a strong program because for most it is not Stanford , Temple, Syracuse, Northwestern, or South Carolina State

22 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm very interested to see if/how EJ Speed gets utilized next year.  He is a very good athlete with an 80 inch wing span.  His major knocks coming out of Tarleton State were: 1) small school, 2) lack of upper body strength, 3) lack of experience (he went to Tarleton State as a WR after being a QB in HS -- made the switch to DE as a sophomore).   

Darius Leonard said last year that he saw a lot of himself in EJ Speed.  Ballard said at some point during the offseason that Speed has all the physical traits to succeed and contribute to this D as he gets more acclimated to the NFL.

As we all are but remember were trying to compete for a Superbowl!!!  Would love for Speed to dominate the game but won't lose sleep if it never happens.  If it does, could def be a reason the Colts win the AFC.

13 hours ago, Stoney said:

Pretty sure hes a starter already, isn't he? If hes a starter as a rookie I'd guess hes going to become a high impact player.

He's starting SAM (but we don't use SAM a bunch), and passing down MIKE. 

He's a liability vs the run (on the inside in traffic), but the way we are using him is perfect as we're getting him on the field as much as possible to utilize his strengths. Walker still played 70-80+% of snaps, and will likely continue to.

Simply my opinion, but I think we could see a couple things this year. 1) we use SAM a bit more now that we have a better pass rush. 2) you could see a bit of emergence from EJ Speed, who was a very raw boom or bust project. Either way, I think Oke will remain outside at SAM, and only inside on passing downs. If he plays more inside, that means our DL is playing really really well vs the run.

12 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Speed is a really interesting project. QB turned WR turned LB. Total wild card coming out of a very small school. He really needed to work on his body with S&C, but he could be a very nice surprise with a good off season program. I thought we'd hear/see more of his off season stuff. If he emerges, I think Franklin is gone.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Speed is a really interesting project. QB turned WR turned LB. Total wild card coming out of a very small school. He really needed to work on his body with S&C, but he could be a very nice surprise with a good off season program. I thought we'd hear/see more of his off season stuff. If he emerges, I think Franklin is gone.

If nothing else, Speed should be able to contribute more on STs next year.  

Of course, the coaches aren't going to say anything negative to the media about players -- but from this article (last year's training camp) it sounds like he was pretty impressive with his athleticism and work ethic but still had a lot to learn (and they don't mention it, but yea, he does need some strength and conditioning work -- I imagine that's been happening with an NFL staff instead of a D2 staff).  

https://www.colts.com/news/e-j-speed-jumping-off-the-tape-with-added-opportunities

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

If nothing else, Speed should be able to contribute more on STs next year.  

Of course, the coaches aren't going to say anything negative to the media about players -- but from this article (last year's training camp) it sounds like he was pretty impressive with his athleticism and work ethic but still had a lot to learn (and they don't mention it, but yea, he does need some strength and conditioning work -- I imagine that's been happening with an NFL staff instead of a D2 staff).  

https://www.colts.com/news/e-j-speed-jumping-off-the-tape-with-added-opportunities

Yup. His draft profile called out his need to get NFL ready lol.... I was surprised he had poor vert and long jump given how folks said he was "explosive". Not that I care about the metrics on their own, but it's a bit telling, and I guess expected given his lack of S&C. 

If he emerges, depth will be tremendous for us. I see him as a WILL or SAM, but given his rawness, could even end up a MIKE with the right S&C over a couple years. 

My biggest question at LB is really do they keep 5 or 6 on the 53 given we don't use SAM a lot. I think we have some other positions where we likely need to keep extra (like WR and DB), and LB seems to be pretty stacked. I'd probably cut Franklin loose if Speed really does step up, and only keep 5. Given the rules to add 2 extra players though might make it easier to keep a 6th LB. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. His draft profile called out his need to get NFL ready lol.... I was surprised he had poor vert and long jump given how folks said he was "explosive". Not that I care about the metrics on their own, but it's a bit telling, and I guess expected given his lack of S&C. 

If he emerges, depth will be tremendous for us. I see him as a WILL or SAM, but given his rawness, could even end up a MIKE with the right S&C over a couple years. 

My biggest question at LB is really do they keep 5 or 6 on the 53 given we don't use SAM a lot. I think we have some other positions where we likely need to keep extra (like WR and DB), and LB seems to be pretty stacked. I'd probably cut Franklin loose if Speed really does step up, and only keep 5. Given the rules to add 2 extra players though might make it easier to keep a 6th LB. 

Yes, the 2 extra players will change a lot of things.  My guess is ability to contribute on STs will have a lot to do with the decisions for those last spots (I guess it's always been that way, but I imagine a guy like Quincy Wilson who doesn't play STs will be shown the door if his DB play doesn't improve in camp/pre-season faster than an LB who can contribute to STs if needed). 

One thing I noticed about the article I posted on Speed is he seemed to be a pretty productive at blocking kicks while at Tarleton State (granted, weak competition... but still, maybe he can find a knack for that for us).  

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, the 2 extra players will change a lot of things.  My guess is ability to contribute on STs will have a lot to do with the decisions for those last spots (I guess it's always been that way, but I imagine a guy like Quincy Wilson who doesn't play STs will be shown the door if his DB play doesn't improve in camp/pre-season faster than an LB who can contribute to STs if needed). 

One thing I noticed about the article I posted on Speed is he seemed to be a pretty productive at blocking kicks while at Tarleton State (granted, weak competition... but still, maybe he can find a knack for that for us).  

One of the new extra spots must be used for OL, but yes, even an extra non-OL spot will help. There's a lot of fringe guys hanging on to "last" spots, and it'll be interesting how the draft further impacts that. The only think I feel confident about, is that we keep 6 WRs again this year on the 53 man. Probably CB too given all the new names. After that, have zero clue. 

On 4/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, TheEdgeis1 said:

Wow, I’m really proud of this young gentleman.  He seems to be very motivated and have a really good head on his shoulders.  I can see why Ballard targeted him. 

CB has a history of taking “Character guys” to develop a great locker room dynamic. He’s correct in this approach because it’s really translating to the field for our young players. We have one of the best young rosters in football right now imo. 

Archived