Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ve been a Colts fan since... 2.0 (Extra Merged)

coltsfeva

I’ve been a Colts fan since...  

78 members have voted

1. 1. When did you become a Colts fan (merged)

• Unitas era - 1950s - 1960s
    • Bert Jones era - 1970s
    • Move to Indy - 1984
    • Manning era - 1998 - 2011
    • Luck era - 2012 - 2018
    • Rivers era -2020

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Daniel John said:

1975 was the first year I started following football. I was 8, and it was hard not to fall in love with that year's Cinderella team, the Baltimore Colts led by Bert Jones. I've been a Colts fan ever since, despite the long dry spell between Bert Jones and Jim Harbaugh.

That was so much fun - after starting the season 1-4, I think.

23 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Cool...I didn’t know you liked the Orioles too. I adopted them the same year I latched on to the Colts (1980) and have remained a fan of both teams ever since.

11 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Great to have other Oriole fans around. Baltimore Sun article out today concerning the Orioles ,post Peter Angelos , and whether they may be sold to local investors. Supposedly , they are close to working out a deal with the Maryland Stadium Authority to stay in Camden Yards long term. 
Cal Ripken may be involved in one of the possible ownership groups. It would be a positive development. The farm system is getting exciting and good. I hope this Covid thing dies down soon so I can get down to Camden Yards for a game next summer. 

I haven't kept up with the Orioles for quite a few years. My job kept me away for 3-5 weeks at a time and just didn't have the time to keep track. I really don't watch much MLB and quit watching the NBA altogether now. 

The Colts are pretty much the only game I watch, I will have other NFL games on but with no sound. I even find myself watching the shortened games on YouTube at a later time. 

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

It obviously sounds like you aren’t from Baltimore. The killer bees Dolphin’s era was in the 1980’s, specifically the 1982 strike season . That 1982 game was a 34-7 loss to the Dolphins at Memorial Stadium and attendance was 19,073. This was a horrendous 0-8–1 team, and the owner was publicly shopping them all over the place from Jacksonville to Phoenix. Fan morale was horrendous. 
In addition , Jones, Carr and Mitchell were not on that Colts team, and Zonk was long gone from the Dolphins. 
Contrast this to the 75,76,77 games against the Dolphins which had sellout attendance of 59,398,58,832,and 57,829 respectively. This was a good Colt product on the field, as was the Baltimore Colts teams  from 1957- 1972 , when they sold out every game in Baltimore, when it was somewhat a rarity in the NFL. 
So if you are a fanatic , you have to post the facts, and get things straight. I am the real steward of Baltimore Colts history. 

Lets not let facts get in the way of his point!  lol.

My handle here explains when I became a Colts fan. I was 11 years old in 1965 when I met Johnny U. My oldest brother played on a semi-pro team from New Hampshire called the Nashua Colts. (identical uniforms and all, down to the horseshoe on the helmet) I idolized my big brother and that off season I attended their post season team banquet with my family. Johnny Unitas just happened to be the guest speaker that year. The rest as they say, is history.

4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Lets not let facts get in the way of his point!  lol.

I think I got his point . Basically Baltimore stinks because of attendance, old stadium , and eminent domain. That’s a totally different point then taking Dolphin players from different era’s and mixing them with Colt players no longer on the team, and declaring yourself a fanatic. 
My point is the attendance in Baltimore was light in some of those last few seasons , but look at the product on the field , and some of the circumstances surrounding the team, like exploring moving to several cities. The move was what it was, but Baltimore isn’t a bad football town. Like the Colts from 57-71, the Ravens have sold out almost every game since 1996. The Colt years 1978-1983 were pretty depressing for fans for a multitude of reasons. Attendance reflected that. 

18 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Great to have other Oriole fans around. Baltimore Sun article out today concerning the Orioles ,post Peter Angelos , and whether they may be sold to local investors. Supposedly , they are close to working out a deal with the Maryland Stadium Authority to stay in Camden Yards long term. 
Cal Ripken may be involved in one of the possible ownership groups. It would be a positive development. The farm system is getting exciting and good. I hope this Covid thing dies down soon so I can get down to Camden Yards for a game next summer. 

Yes if an investment group can some how pry ownership away from Angelos I agree that would be a positive development. If Cal is involved all the better. I really miss the days when the O’s were competitive on a regular basis. Hopefully they will be able return to their former glory in the not too distant future. In any case, baseball at Camden Yards in the summer is a great place to be. I’m looking forward to the day when I can return again myself. 

Archived