Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ve been a Colts fan since... 2.0 (Extra Merged)


I’ve been a Colts fan since...  

78 members have voted

  1. 1. When did you become a Colts fan (merged)

    • Unitas era - 1950s - 1960s
      28
    • Bert Jones era - 1970s
      8
    • Move to Indy - 1984
      16
    • Manning era - 1998 - 2011
      21
    • Luck era - 2012 - 2018
      1
    • Rivers era -2020
      4


Recommended Posts

Favorite players (those still playing are not eligible....)

 

1. The Sheriff 

2. a_james.Jpg

3. The little dude from Roman Catholic HS

4. The Tasmanian Devil

5. Bid D

6. Edge's buddy from the U

7. Matthis

8. The Hitman

9. Jeff Saturday

10. Goose

 

Honorable mention: Jimmy, the funny punter. AV.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was Baltimore Colt fan Unitas era and still a Colt fan. Not a fair weather fan. Fan stands for fanatic. Never so glad to see them leave Baltimore. Last game I went to in Baltimore was a game. Colts vs

Great memories...Johnny Unitas, Ray Berry, Lenny Moore, John Mackey in the "Greatest Game Ever Played"...a kid sitting on the floor watching a black and white TV.  

Jim harbaugh era!!!! 

Canadian here. I grew up watching the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the CFL. The only good player the Riders had for years was a running back named Kenton Keith. He left to join the Colts around the time Manning was becoming a super star. I've been watching the Colts ever since.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Favorite players (those still playing are not eligible....)

 

1. The Sheriff 

2. a_james.Jpg

3. The little dude from Roman Catholic HS

4. The Tasmanian Devil

5. Bid D

6. Edge's buddy from the U

7. Matthis

8. The Hitman

9. Jeff Saturday

10. Goose

 

Honorable mention: Jimmy, the funny punter. AV.

I was gonna say if current players count gotta go with Q

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I was gonna say if current players count gotta go with Q

Q would definitely be on the list. Sorry Goose.

TY will be a tough one. Still too early for Leonard.

Blackmon is becoming a favorite but of course way too early.

 

Right now top 5 for guys playing, which could change game to game lol.

1. Q

2. Leonard

3. TY

4. Blackmon

5. Moore

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My fandom began at birth in '88. My father was and still is a major Bengals fan, but he decided to spare me the torture of being a Cincy fan and instead took me to Colts games, starting at the age of 1. Of course I ended up being a fan of both teams, but the Colts will always and forever be my #1. I can still remember the season of '95, when it felt like we were finally a true competitive team. That was when the state really started to buy into the idea of being a football state, behind the spectacular comebacks of Harbaugh. 

 

Years later I asked my dad why he took me to Colts games instead of Bengals, and he merely shrugged and stated "Colts fans are less murderous." 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I became a Colts fan in the mid 90s. I am 33 like @Jared Cisneros so I expect something similar from him actually. 

 

I had no faith towards any team in particular and remember being captivated by the Colts the year they almost beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. 

 

I became a fan then and my love for the team grew stronger and stronger over the years. 

 

I would say my favorite player of all time was Marvin Harrison.

when the colts came back to beat Tampa Bay back in 2003 i became i life long fan after that master piece

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born and raised in Palm Beach. My mom's hometown was Baltimore and my oldest brother idolized Unitas. So as a kid I followed too, but then Colts Drafted the Great Bert Jones and thought then as I do now he was the greatest. My favorite player of all time and Colts and Yankees only teams that I'm  a true fan of.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a down and out Bears fan in 95.  A series of bad moves had me in a bad football way.  I lived in the extreme rural West at the time and came back to Indiana for Christmas.  Went to party with my younger brother and his buddy at USI the week before the playoffs.

 

I was singing  the Bears blues and my brothers friend said I should be a Colts fan.  I was pretty isolated from civilization reallyl at that time. I’d tried root for the Colts when they came to town as a secondary team but they were so damn bad.
 

I said the Colts suck.  They said they are good this year.  Who’s their QB this year?  They said Harbaugh.  I said he sucks.  They said no he’s good this year.  Then Zack Crockett had like a million yds in that playoff game and it was fun and I’ve been a fan since then.  
 

Got weened right off the Bears, and my other youngest brother still ridicules me for it to this day.

 

Favorite players were Faulk and James.  Grew up a Walter Payton fan and loved RBs.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shive changed the title to I’ve been a Colts fan since... 2.0 (Extra Merged)
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I was a down and out Bears fan in 95.  A series of bad moves had me in a bad football way.  I lived in the extreme rural West at the time and came back to Indiana for Christmas.  Went to party with my younger brother and his buddy at USI the week before the playoffs.

 

I was singing  the Bears blues and my brothers friend said I should be a Colts fan.  I was pretty isolated from civilization reallyl at that time. I’d tried root for the Colts when they came to town as a secondary team but they were so damn bad.
 

I said the Colts suck.  They said they are good this year.  Who’s their QB this year?  They said Harbaugh.  I said he sucks.  They said no he’s good this year.  Then Zack Crockett had like a million yds in that playoff game and it was fun and I’ve been a fan since then.  
 

Got weened right off the Bears, and my other youngest brother still ridicules me for it to this day.

 

Favorite players were Faulk and James.  Grew up a Walter Payton fan and loved RBs.

I take your love for RBs is why you seem so overly critical of Taylor. 

 

Keep your head up Taylor is showing improvement each week!

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

2004 I was 9 and decided Peyton Manning was my favorite player. My first game I ever watched was the loss to the Steelers in the playoffs 

That loss still hurts 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

eric dickerson omg GIF by The New Celebrity Apprentice, no RB has anything on me, I am the E man. lol, he is Clark Kent here.

Ah, the bad QB days..... I remember hanging with Baldi, Goose, and a few others at the Red Garter those days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastStreet said:

Ah, the bad QB days..... I remember hanging with Baldi, Goose, and a few others at the Red Garter those days.

Yeah Dickerson was our QB basically from 87-89, he carried us. He is my top 5 RB's of all-time. I have him at 5.

 

I have:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

 

- I know many will say Barry is better than Emmitt but Emmitt has the record for rushing yards and TD's. His durability was better as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Dickerson was our QB basically from 87-89, he carried us. He is my top 5 RB's of all-time. I have him at 5.

 

I have:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

 

- I know many will say Barry is better than Emmitt but Emmitt has the record for rushing yards and TD's. His durability was better as well. 

I didn't include anyone on my fav Colts that didn't spend the all/most of their years with the Colts. Mr. Benny would have been on the list had he. But yes, he was all we had those years.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I take your love for RBs is why you seem so overly critical of Taylor. 

 

Keep your head up Taylor is showing improvement each week!

I just think the dude is going to be limited.  I don’t think he’s worthless.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unitas era to 1983. Ravens from 1996. Respect the Indy Colts, but from my perspective , it just seems like two different entities from the Baltimore to Indy era. Other than the uniforms , not too many similarities. 
For most Indy Colt fans ,knowing who Chuck Thompson was , is like asking asking a first grader who Millard Fillmore was. Just a totally different era with a  different feel to it. 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I became a diehard, dyed in the wool, true blue (and white) fan in North Carolina in 1964. Unitas, Berry, Moore, Mackey, Parker, Marchetti, and the rest of the gang, and Matte, Richardson, Hendicks, Curtis, Bubba, Bulaich, Bert J., Lydell M., Carr, Doughty, Sack Pack. Had many thrills and some heartbreaks.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in Canada the closest teams to me are the Seahawks and Vikings. Always hated the Seahawks so I cheered for the Vikes as a kid. I was probably 10 or so when I saw Manning play for the first time rookie year and I forgot who the Vikings even were. 

 

Always been intrigued with the history as well. A teams history is that of its own I think regardless of the city. Baltimore and Indy will always be tied together by the Colts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Living in Canada the closest teams to me are the Seahawks and Vikings. Always hated the Seahawks so I cheered for the Vikes as a kid. I was probably 10 or so when I saw Manning play for the first time rookie year and I forgot who the Vikings even were. 

 

Always been intrigued with the history as well. A teams history is that of its own I think regardless of the city. Baltimore and Indy will always be tied together by the Colts.


Also by a hatred of the Patriots !!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1967....One of the Colts most heartbreaking seasons. They played in the Costal division, a 14 game season. Colts enter the last game of the season undefeated but with 2 ties and lose the last game of the season to the Roman Gabriel/Jack Snow/Fearsome Foursome Rams and do not make the playoffs.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1973 for me.  Before that I was a Viking fan. 

In 1971 I had a family member who was going to LSU and was training as an Olympic weight lifter. 

So I started watching the Tigers and really liked Bert Jones. 

I was already a Baltimore Oriole fan because that was the name of my Little League baseball team earlier so I liked Brooks Robinson a lot. I played 2nd base so I also liked Davey Johnson. 

I followed Bert Jones when he was drafted by the Colts and the rest is history. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Baltimore Colt fan Unitas era and still a Colt fan. Not a fair weather fan. Fan stands for fanatic. Never so glad to see them leave Baltimore. Last game I went to in Baltimore was a game. Colts vs Dolphins. Bert Jones was the Colts qb. Roger Carr at wide out and Lydell Mitchell at running back. Bob Greise was the Dolphins qb a division rival at the time when the Dolphins had zonk and the killer B's on defense. Only maybe 10,000 fans in attendance. Fans in Baltimore where the worst. Only supported the team when they where winning. Never so glad to see them leave. No one ever talks about why they left in the middle of the night. It was because a young political maryland rep.put a bill on the house floor to declare eminent domain on the Irsays team  to be voted on the day after the night they pulled out. It was Robert Irsays team (Jim's dad )and  said we own this team see yah.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

List isn't quite complete. I started watching the Colts in 1971 when Unitas was still the quarterback. I enjoyed the Jones years in the 70s and appreciated what Manning did when he arrived and made it so much fun to follow the Colts again.

For some reason, I adopted all the Baltimore teams as a child - Colts, Orioles and Bullets. They were all good at the time, which helped.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born in Indiana in 89, but moved to Tokyo in 95. I moved back to Indiana in 2001, but I started following the team as much as a 7 year old can in 1996 from another country, halfway round the world before Manning was drafted. Been a Colts fan through and through ever since and never looked back since!

Blue runs through my veins and nothing will ever change that. End of.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I played 6th grade flag football, my team was the Raiders, so I followed them in the mid 70's. For some reason I didn't like the Bears, Cowboys, Dolphins, or Steelers. Whoever was playing them was my team too. Followed the Oilers in late 70's early 80's'. Bum Phillips, Dan Pastorini, and a local guy Dave Carter, were the reason.

When the Colts landed it didn't take me long to latch on to em.  Pagel, Hogeboom, Herman, George, Trudeau, Harbaugh, Justin, Holcomb are the Qbs I can remember before Peyton.

 

Went to a lot of games in the Dome, and tailgated on the Hurst Bean company lot when it was gravel. Met a lotta cool people, and fed em chili, brats, wings, deep fried turkey, and White River Dolphin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bert Johns said:

Was Baltimore Colt fan Unitas era and still a Colt fan. Not a fair weather fan. Fan stands for fanatic. Never so glad to see them leave Baltimore. Last game I went to in Baltimore was a game. Colts vs Dolphins. Bert Jones was the Colts qb. Roger Carr at wide out and Lydell Mitchell at running back. Bob Greise was the Dolphins qb a division rival at the time when the Dolphins had zonk and the killer B's on defense. Only maybe 10,000 fans in attendance. Fans in Baltimore where the worst. Only supported the team when they where winning. Never so glad to see them leave. No one ever talks about why they left in the middle of the night. It was because a young political maryland rep.put a bill on the house floor to declare eminent domain on the Irsays team  to be voted on the day after the night they pulled out. It was Robert Irsays team (Jim's dad )and  said we own this team see yah.

 
It obviously sounds like you aren’t from Baltimore. The killer bees Dolphin’s era was in the 1980’s, specifically the 1982 strike season . That 1982 game was a 34-7 loss to the Dolphins at Memorial Stadium and attendance was 19,073. This was a horrendous 0-8–1 team, and the owner was publicly shopping them all over the place from Jacksonville to Phoenix. Fan morale was horrendous. 
In addition , Jones, Carr and Mitchell were not on that Colts team, and Zonk was long gone from the Dolphins. 
Contrast this to the 75,76,77 games against the Dolphins which had sellout attendance of 59,398,58,832,and 57,829 respectively. This was a good Colt product on the field, as was the Baltimore Colts teams  from 1957- 1972 , when they sold out every game in Baltimore, when it was somewhat a rarity in the NFL. 
So if you are a fanatic , you have to post the facts, and get things straight. I am the real steward of Baltimore Colts history. 
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

1973 for me.  Before that I was a Viking fan. 

In 1971 I had a family member who was going to LSU and was training as an Olympic weight lifter. 

So I started watching the Tigers and really liked Bert Jones. 

I was already a Baltimore Oriole fan because that was the name of my Little League baseball team earlier so I liked Brooks Robinson a lot. I played 2nd base so I also liked Davey Johnson. 

I followed Bert Jones when he was drafted by the Colts and the rest is history. 

Cool...I didn’t know you liked the Orioles too. I adopted them the same year I latched on to the Colts (1980) and have remained a fan of both teams ever since.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Cool...I didn’t know you liked the Orioles too. I adopted them the same year I latched on to the Colts (1980) and have remained a fan of both teams ever since.


Great to have other Oriole fans around. Baltimore Sun article out today concerning the Orioles ,post Peter Angelos , and whether they may be sold to local investors. Supposedly , they are close to working out a deal with the Maryland Stadium Authority to stay in Camden Yards long term. 
Cal Ripken may be involved in one of the possible ownership groups. It would be a positive development. The farm system is getting exciting and good. I hope this Covid thing dies down soon so I can get down to Camden Yards for a game next summer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That truly was a terrible angle Willis took. Could've been held to just a bad 20 yard play on that one.
    • Where did I say that?   But,  as long as Ballard and Dodd have their team in place, I feel good about our chances to be highly competitive.   The only problems we’ve had have been when we’ve been without Andrew Luck, in 17 and 19.   When we’ve had Luck or Rivers we are a very competitive team.   Just look at some of the recent Super Bowl participants.  Only KC is really doing well.  The Pats are struggling.   So are the Rams and the Eagles.  Seattle has been hit and cold.   Same with SF.   My point is...   this game is hard.  Staying at the top is hard.  Being elite year after year is hard.     But not only do you casually dismiss achievement, but you write off players as busts who have been mostly injured or haven’t been with the team long enough to know.  You’re jumping to conclusions, and there’s a good chance some of those conclusions could be wrong.     So yes, I like our future.  I like our GM and the front office he has.  I like his drafting and I mostly like his free agents.   As a fan, I’ll take our chances here....   I’m not predicting a Super Bowl, but I think we will have a good team moving forward.  
    • Yup, It was a pretty horrible day all around for the DBs. At least Willis had a PD and a QBH, which none of our other DBs did...    And even without Autry, I was pretty disappointed with the DE pass rush given they had a 3rd string LT.. The DL had zero sacks and QBHs...    Just bad...
    • Also Autry, Buckner, Bobby could all be back.
    • "We've been playing with fire -- and the fire caught us," Colts coach Tony Dungy said.  (After we lost our first game in our SB winning season: Colts vs. Cowboys - Game Recap - November 19, 2006 - ESPN -- https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=261119006)    ___   Yea, sometimes Superbowl winning coaches say very 'silly slogans' after losing a game.
  • Members

    • WoolMagnet

      WoolMagnet 5,037

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • nzh201vs

      nzh201vs 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TwoTonShogun

      TwoTonShogun 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 11,055

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 5,079

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Greyghost80

      Greyghost80 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 3,206

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 7,607

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Happy2BeHere

      Happy2BeHere 813

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 10,621

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...