Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ve been a Colts fan since... 2.0 (Extra Merged)

coltsfeva

I’ve been a Colts fan since...  

78 members have voted

1. 1. When did you become a Colts fan (merged)

• Unitas era - 1950s - 1960s
    • Bert Jones era - 1970s
    • Move to Indy - 1984
    • Manning era - 1998 - 2011
    • Luck era - 2012 - 2018
    • Rivers era -2020

Favorite players (those still playing are not eligible....)

1. The Sheriff 

2. a_james.Jpg

3. The little dude from Roman Catholic HS

4. The Tasmanian Devil

5. Bid D

6. Edge's buddy from the U

7. Matthis

8. The Hitman

9. Jeff Saturday

10. Goose

Honorable mention: Jimmy, the funny punter. AV.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Favorite players (those still playing are not eligible....)

1. The Sheriff 

2. a_james.Jpg

3. The little dude from Roman Catholic HS

4. The Tasmanian Devil

5. Bid D

6. Edge's buddy from the U

7. Matthis

8. The Hitman

9. Jeff Saturday

10. Goose

Honorable mention: Jimmy, the funny punter. AV.

I was gonna say if current players count gotta go with Q

9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I was gonna say if current players count gotta go with Q

Q would definitely be on the list. Sorry Goose.

TY will be a tough one. Still too early for Leonard.

Blackmon is becoming a favorite but of course way too early.

Right now top 5 for guys playing, which could change game to game lol.

1. Q

2. Leonard

3. TY

4. Blackmon

5. Moore

My fandom began at birth in '88. My father was and still is a major Bengals fan, but he decided to spare me the torture of being a Cincy fan and instead took me to Colts games, starting at the age of 1. Of course I ended up being a fan of both teams, but the Colts will always and forever be my #1. I can still remember the season of '95, when it felt like we were finally a true competitive team. That was when the state really started to buy into the idea of being a football state, behind the spectacular comebacks of Harbaugh. 

Years later I asked my dad why he took me to Colts games instead of Bengals, and he merely shrugged and stated "Colts fans are less murderous." 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I became a Colts fan in the mid 90s. I am 33 like @Jared Cisneros so I expect something similar from him actually. 

I had no faith towards any team in particular and remember being captivated by the Colts the year they almost beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. 

I became a fan then and my love for the team grew stronger and stronger over the years. 

I would say my favorite player of all time was Marvin Harrison.

when the colts came back to beat Tampa Bay back in 2003 i became i life long fan after that master piece

I was born and raised in Palm Beach. My mom's hometown was Baltimore and my oldest brother idolized Unitas. So as a kid I followed too, but then Colts Drafted the Great Bert Jones and thought then as I do now he was the greatest. My favorite player of all time and Colts and Yankees only teams that I'm  a true fan of.

I was a down and out Bears fan in 95.  A series of bad moves had me in a bad football way.  I lived in the extreme rural West at the time and came back to Indiana for Christmas.  Went to party with my younger brother and his buddy at USI the week before the playoffs.

I was singing  the Bears blues and my brothers friend said I should be a Colts fan.  I was pretty isolated from civilization reallyl at that time. I’d tried root for the Colts when they came to town as a secondary team but they were so damn bad.

I said the Colts suck.  They said they are good this year.  Who’s their QB this year?  They said Harbaugh.  I said he sucks.  They said no he’s good this year.  Then Zack Crockett had like a million yds in that playoff game and it was fun and I’ve been a fan since then.  

Got weened right off the Bears, and my other youngest brother still ridicules me for it to this day.

Favorite players were Faulk and James.  Grew up a Walter Payton fan and loved RBs.

• Shive changed the title to I’ve been a Colts fan since... 2.0 (Extra Merged)
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I was a down and out Bears fan in 95.  A series of bad moves had me in a bad football way.  I lived in the extreme rural West at the time and came back to Indiana for Christmas.  Went to party with my younger brother and his buddy at USI the week before the playoffs.

I was singing  the Bears blues and my brothers friend said I should be a Colts fan.  I was pretty isolated from civilization reallyl at that time. I’d tried root for the Colts when they came to town as a secondary team but they were so damn bad.

I said the Colts suck.  They said they are good this year.  Who’s their QB this year?  They said Harbaugh.  I said he sucks.  They said no he’s good this year.  Then Zack Crockett had like a million yds in that playoff game and it was fun and I’ve been a fan since then.  

Got weened right off the Bears, and my other youngest brother still ridicules me for it to this day.

Favorite players were Faulk and James.  Grew up a Walter Payton fan and loved RBs.

I take your love for RBs is why you seem so overly critical of Taylor. 

Keep your head up Taylor is showing improvement each week!

Just now, EastStreet said:

Ah, the bad QB days..... I remember hanging with Baldi, Goose, and a few others at the Red Garter those days.

Yeah Dickerson was our QB basically from 87-89, he carried us. He is my top 5 RB's of all-time. I have him at 5.

I have:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

- I know many will say Barry is better than Emmitt but Emmitt has the record for rushing yards and TD's. His durability was better as well. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Dickerson was our QB basically from 87-89, he carried us. He is my top 5 RB's of all-time. I have him at 5.

I have:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

- I know many will say Barry is better than Emmitt but Emmitt has the record for rushing yards and TD's. His durability was better as well. 

I didn't include anyone on my fav Colts that didn't spend the all/most of their years with the Colts. Mr. Benny would have been on the list had he. But yes, he was all we had those years.

Unitas era to 1983. Ravens from 1996. Respect the Indy Colts, but from my perspective , it just seems like two different entities from the Baltimore to Indy era. Other than the uniforms , not too many similarities. 
For most Indy Colt fans ,knowing who Chuck Thompson was , is like asking asking a first grader who Millard Fillmore was. Just a totally different era with a  different feel to it. 

I became a diehard, dyed in the wool, true blue (and white) fan in North Carolina in 1964. Unitas, Berry, Moore, Mackey, Parker, Marchetti, and the rest of the gang, and Matte, Richardson, Hendicks, Curtis, Bubba, Bulaich, Bert J., Lydell M., Carr, Doughty, Sack Pack. Had many thrills and some heartbreaks.

Living in Canada the closest teams to me are the Seahawks and Vikings. Always hated the Seahawks so I cheered for the Vikes as a kid. I was probably 10 or so when I saw Manning play for the first time rookie year and I forgot who the Vikings even were. 

Always been intrigued with the history as well. A teams history is that of its own I think regardless of the city. Baltimore and Indy will always be tied together by the Colts.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Living in Canada the closest teams to me are the Seahawks and Vikings. Always hated the Seahawks so I cheered for the Vikes as a kid. I was probably 10 or so when I saw Manning play for the first time rookie year and I forgot who the Vikings even were. 

Always been intrigued with the history as well. A teams history is that of its own I think regardless of the city. Baltimore and Indy will always be tied together by the Colts.

Also by a hatred of the Patriots !!!

1973 for me.  Before that I was a Viking fan. 

In 1971 I had a family member who was going to LSU and was training as an Olympic weight lifter. 

So I started watching the Tigers and really liked Bert Jones. 

I was already a Baltimore Oriole fan because that was the name of my Little League baseball team earlier so I liked Brooks Robinson a lot. I played 2nd base so I also liked Davey Johnson. 

I followed Bert Jones when he was drafted by the Colts and the rest is history. 

Was Baltimore Colt fan Unitas era and still a Colt fan. Not a fair weather fan. Fan stands for fanatic. Never so glad to see them leave Baltimore. Last game I went to in Baltimore was a game. Colts vs Dolphins. Bert Jones was the Colts qb. Roger Carr at wide out and Lydell Mitchell at running back. Bob Greise was the Dolphins qb a division rival at the time when the Dolphins had zonk and the killer B's on defense. Only maybe 10,000 fans in attendance. Fans in Baltimore where the worst. Only supported the team when they where winning. Never so glad to see them leave. No one ever talks about why they left in the middle of the night. It was because a young political maryland rep.put a bill on the house floor to declare eminent domain on the Irsays team  to be voted on the day after the night they pulled out. It was Robert Irsays team (Jim's dad )and  said we own this team see yah.

List isn't quite complete. I started watching the Colts in 1971 when Unitas was still the quarterback. I enjoyed the Jones years in the 70s and appreciated what Manning did when he arrived and made it so much fun to follow the Colts again.

For some reason, I adopted all the Baltimore teams as a child - Colts, Orioles and Bullets. They were all good at the time, which helped.

I was born in Indiana in 89, but moved to Tokyo in 95. I moved back to Indiana in 2001, but I started following the team as much as a 7 year old can in 1996 from another country, halfway round the world before Manning was drafted. Been a Colts fan through and through ever since and never looked back since!

Blue runs through my veins and nothing will ever change that. End of.

I played 6th grade flag football, my team was the Raiders, so I followed them in the mid 70's. For some reason I didn't like the Bears, Cowboys, Dolphins, or Steelers. Whoever was playing them was my team too. Followed the Oilers in late 70's early 80's'. Bum Phillips, Dan Pastorini, and a local guy Dave Carter, were the reason.

When the Colts landed it didn't take me long to latch on to em.  Pagel, Hogeboom, Herman, George, Trudeau, Harbaugh, Justin, Holcomb are the Qbs I can remember before Peyton.

Went to a lot of games in the Dome, and tailgated on the Hurst Bean company lot when it was gravel. Met a lotta cool people, and fed em chili, brats, wings, deep fried turkey, and White River Dolphin.

1 hour ago, Bert Johns said:

Was Baltimore Colt fan Unitas era and still a Colt fan. Not a fair weather fan. Fan stands for fanatic. Never so glad to see them leave Baltimore. Last game I went to in Baltimore was a game. Colts vs Dolphins. Bert Jones was the Colts qb. Roger Carr at wide out and Lydell Mitchell at running back. Bob Greise was the Dolphins qb a division rival at the time when the Dolphins had zonk and the killer B's on defense. Only maybe 10,000 fans in attendance. Fans in Baltimore where the worst. Only supported the team when they where winning. Never so glad to see them leave. No one ever talks about why they left in the middle of the night. It was because a young political maryland rep.put a bill on the house floor to declare eminent domain on the Irsays team  to be voted on the day after the night they pulled out. It was Robert Irsays team (Jim's dad )and  said we own this team see yah.

It obviously sounds like you aren’t from Baltimore. The killer bees Dolphin’s era was in the 1980’s, specifically the 1982 strike season . That 1982 game was a 34-7 loss to the Dolphins at Memorial Stadium and attendance was 19,073. This was a horrendous 0-8–1 team, and the owner was publicly shopping them all over the place from Jacksonville to Phoenix. Fan morale was horrendous. 
In addition , Jones, Carr and Mitchell were not on that Colts team, and Zonk was long gone from the Dolphins. 
Contrast this to the 75,76,77 games against the Dolphins which had sellout attendance of 59,398,58,832,and 57,829 respectively. This was a good Colt product on the field, as was the Baltimore Colts teams  from 1957- 1972 , when they sold out every game in Baltimore, when it was somewhat a rarity in the NFL. 
So if you are a fanatic , you have to post the facts, and get things straight. I am the real steward of Baltimore Colts history. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

1973 for me.  Before that I was a Viking fan. 

In 1971 I had a family member who was going to LSU and was training as an Olympic weight lifter. 

So I started watching the Tigers and really liked Bert Jones. 

I was already a Baltimore Oriole fan because that was the name of my Little League baseball team earlier so I liked Brooks Robinson a lot. I played 2nd base so I also liked Davey Johnson. 

I followed Bert Jones when he was drafted by the Colts and the rest is history. 

Cool...I didn’t know you liked the Orioles too. I adopted them the same year I latched on to the Colts (1980) and have remained a fan of both teams ever since.

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Cool...I didn’t know you liked the Orioles too. I adopted them the same year I latched on to the Colts (1980) and have remained a fan of both teams ever since.

Great to have other Oriole fans around. Baltimore Sun article out today concerning the Orioles ,post Peter Angelos , and whether they may be sold to local investors. Supposedly , they are close to working out a deal with the Maryland Stadium Authority to stay in Camden Yards long term. 
Cal Ripken may be involved in one of the possible ownership groups. It would be a positive development. The farm system is getting exciting and good. I hope this Covid thing dies down soon so I can get down to Camden Yards for a game next summer. 

Archived