Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ve been a Colts fan since... 2.0 (Extra Merged)

coltsfeva

I’ve been a Colts fan since...  

78 members have voted

1. 1. When did you become a Colts fan (merged)

• Unitas era - 1950s - 1960s
    • Bert Jones era - 1970s
    • Move to Indy - 1984
    • Manning era - 1998 - 2011
    • Luck era - 2012 - 2018
    • Rivers era -2020

I posted the original post the other day and neglected the Manning era choice. (Oops)

There’s been some good stories and my suspicion is many became fans during Peyton’s era.

My apologies for the mixup but I’d be interested to see a recount and I believe Superman will merge the threads so the stories won’t be lost.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I posted the original post the other day and neglected the Manning era choice. (Oops)

There’s been some good stories and my suspicion is many became fans during Peyton’s era.

My apologies for the mixup but I’d be interested to see a recount and I believe Superman will merge the threads so the stories won’t be lost.

I think expecting everyone to revote is probably unrealistic.  JMO

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Since 1980.  Memorial stadium.  Curtis Dickey in the backfield. Bert Jones under center.  8 year old Coltsman1788 listening on the radio. 

Listening to Chuck (Go to War, Miss Agnes!)  Thompson. Voice of the Orioles and Colts!!!!!!

Funny story

since madden 2001 on ps2.  I got my ps2 for Christmas and one of the first games I had was madden.  At that time I didn’t know much about football besides my hometown team the ravens and community leagues and what not.  So not knowing anything about ratings or players, I went with the first blue team that I liked, which was the colts.  So ever since then I designated the colts my favorite just off the color lol.  But as I got older, I got into football and sports more and started actually liking the team because of the team.

PS: I made that object you see in my profile pic for class lol

14 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Super Bowl IV. Jim O'Brian's winning kick..

Turmoiled times. In Jan 71, Colts were World Champs. In 72, Bob Irsay bought the Rams and swapped them with Carroll Rosembloom for the Colts. 72, Colts were 5-9. 4-10 in 73, as Irsay /Joe Thomas traded or refused to pay the Colts Top Stars. (In his Defense, most were old.) Unitas was traded to San Diego....

The Bright Spot was, that 73 season brought Bert Jones as the Colts pick in 73!

1958 -- when they beat the Giants in "The Greatest Game Ever Played. Me and a buddy had 4 season tickets during the Bert Jones era. I was broken when they left for Indianapolis but remained true to the horseshoe. My wife, sister, and I travel to Indy every year for a game. Its an easy drive down I-70 and Indy is a very city.

• 6 months later...

I became a Colts fan in the mid 90s. I am 33 like @Jared Cisneros so I expect something similar from him actually. 

I had no faith towards any team in particular and remember being captivated by the Colts the year they almost beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. 

I became a fan then and my love for the team grew stronger and stronger over the years. 

I would say my favorite player of all time was Marvin Harrison.

22 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I became a Colts fan in the mid 90s. I am 33 like @Jared Cisneros so I expect something similar from him actually. 

I had no faith towards any team in particular and remember being captivated by the Colts the year they almost beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. 

I became a fan then and my love for the team grew stronger and stronger over the years. 

Became a fan the moment the Mayflower trucks rolled in. I remember that day well. Cheers to Mayor Hudnut, RIP.

28 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I became a fan a few years later than you. I started getting into football in 97/98, when Elway won the SB for the Broncos (I live in Colorado). However, in 98, I saw a guy I really liked in Peyton Manning that was the next great QB. I told my parents and friends at that time, "whatever team this guy goes to is my team from now on." It pretty much ended up like that and I have rooted for the Colts ever since.

Funny thing is, if he went to the Chargers at no2, I'd be a Chargers fan right now lol. So it just happened the Colts took him and I ended up a Colts fan.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I became a fan a few years later than you. I started getting into football in 97/98, when Elway won the SB for the Broncos (I live in Colorado). However, in 98, I saw a guy I really liked in Peyton Manning that was the next great QB. I told my parents and friends at that time, "whatever team this guy goes to is my team from now on." It pretty much ended up like that and I have rooted for the Colts ever since.

Funny thing is, if he went to the Chargers at no2, I'd be a Chargers fan right now lol. So it just happened the Colts took him and I ended up a Colts fan.

Imagine being a Ryan Leaf fan in this situation 

Manning for me completely changed the game for me

1999 week 6 Colts vs Jets. 16-13 Colts won. I’m from Sharon PA. Marlin Jackson picking off Tom Brady was truly something special. I was in 8th grade when he was a senior in my high school. He played on all 3 phases. He was truly one of the best athletes in our area. 

Archived