Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(Rumor) Browns trading OBJ to Vikings

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Kirk Cousins will still hand it off 51% of the time, as long as Zimmer is in charge :) 

That's fine, and will work if Cousins can play his worth the remaining 49% of the time but sadly we have come to realize how inconsistent he is and how consistently average he is against better teams every season. Sigh, OBJ wouldn't like his QB if Diggs didn't like. Better off without Beckham actually, could draft receivers and spend money elsewhere. If Cousins is good enough, he should elevate the talent around him.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's fine, and will work if Cousins can play his worth the remaining 49% of the time but sadly we have come to realize how inconsistent he is and how consistently average he is against better teams every season. Sigh, OBJ wouldn't like his QB if Diggs didn't like. Better off without Beckham actually, could draft receivers and spend money elsewhere. If Cousins is good enough, he should elevate the talent around him.

You guys need speed and reliability underneath as much as outside, IMO. Your run blocking is top 5 kind while the pass blocking is close to middle of the road in the league if I am not mistaken.

More slot wide outs and receiving TEs might boost your underneath game. They should scheme more people in space to get YAC.

I was looking at the Top 50 players in YAC and outside Dalvin Cook, no Viking is listed there:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2019&type=reg&mode=C&conf=&limit=50&sort=recyac

In 2018, you had 3 in the Top 50, and I thought Adam Thielen's injury shouldn't make that much of a impact but it did, for your offense in 2019. 

I think last year injury to Thielen had much impact on passing game, but I have serious doubts on QB play execution more than the scheme. I think the plays were there a lot, but Cousins hesitates a lot and doesn't have the mental strength to maximize the play.

He's happy checking down and having great passer rating and completion %, which are hailed as great QB traits. But, without the context of how the plays were designed and what reads, progressions and throws were made, completions alone don't help the team, but helps the passer rating. 

If we look at YAC numbers, Cook had 519 total yards but 591 YAC. If I'm reading it right and based on the games watched, these were achieved because of Cook and it was not consistently good against tough oppositions like GB, Chicago, SF. We beat bad teams so well and failed to give any challenge to equally strong or better teams, which has been the norm for last couple of years. 

A year back, fans complained we passed too much and we were close to 32nd in run game. It's easily forgotten among our fanbase now. Kubiak made the run game work mostly, just like Shurmur did but I don't think running 51% of the time or even more should be a problem for any team or QB. It should help the offense and the passing game, it should make the job easier. 

That said, we need more receivers who excel in YAC. But, if Cousins couldn't get the best out of Diggs and Thielen, I honestly have no optimism going forward. The best plays in the passing game are more due to the scheme and receivers, mainly Diggs, and much less due to Cousins, who does have strong arm but inconsistent in accuracy and execution.

We need a QB who will make plays and throws to the receivers more often like Keenum did, 2017 YAC has both Diggs and Thielen ranked in top 50 even though we ran much more or for similar volume for fewer YPC under Shurmur.

• Like 2

This would be a win/win for both teams if the Vikings are not giving up too much.   The Browns don't need OBJ.   In fact, they didn't run the ball enough, passing 60% of the downs.  I'm guessing the need to in order to satisfy Landry and OBJ.   They can pick up a good WR in the draft to replace OBJ.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

A 2nd and a 5th?

Wonder if the Colts could better that.. 2nd this year and 4th next?

Why would the Colts want a 14 million dollar a year me me guy? 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

We paid Funch 12M. I’m pretty sure he will be a better teammate than Ebron. Also have to remember we have a coach who will get OBJ involved more. Top tier talent is needed on Offense

• Like 1

I would rather they get a WR in the 2nd round with how stacked this year's draft is. 

I'm not saying OBJ isn't good, but he is not a team player, and I don't see Ballard trading away more draft picks. I see him trading down to gather more picks, but not trading away. 

22 hours ago, buccolts said:

What's up with odd WR trades this year?

its considered a very talented and deep WR class in the draft this year, making WRs a bit disposable

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The only reason I would consider it is that Rivers can tend to throw it out there and let his wide outs go and make a play, something Baker does not do as well. In a low profile organization and city, there is a good chance OBJ will ball out. He is not in NY any more, and the Colts are a "don't get too high, don't get too low" kind of team w.r.t the locker room, IMO. The Browns, I do not think operated the same way.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The only reason I would consider it is that Rivers can tend to throw it out there and let his wide outs go and make a play, something Baker does not do as well. In a low profile organization and city, there is a good chance OBJ will ball out. He is not in NY any more, and the Colts are a "don't get too high, don't get too low" kind of team w.r.t the locker room, IMO. The Browns, I do not think operated the same way.

You could very well have a legit point. 

I have read a couple of articles and so far it's nothing but rumors. 

The Vikings and the Giants are the two teams in those rumors. 

That's right, the Giants? :popcorn:

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

its considered a very talented and deep WR class in the draft this year, making WRs a bit disposable

Yeah, and that'd make sense unless the Vikings DO pick up OBJ, and make the Texans Off Season odd. Dump one, grab another? Just draft one.

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly.... I think the Eric Ebron experiment has probably scuttled any possibility of these kinds of players coming on board.

10 hours ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, and that'd make sense unless the Vikings DO pick up OBJ, and make the Texans Off Season odd. Dump one, grab another? Just draft one.

None of the reports on this trade has come from Vikings organization or even Vikings reporters and has been refuted fully. 

It just seems to be someone putting some ideas and it caught on fire because it's OBJ and it's believable to some extent that Vikings would like to get some receivers after trading Diggs. 

In reality, Vikings are trying to reach a long term extension with Anthony Harris which seems to get delayed due to the asking price or using him as an option for draft day trade. Accordingly, they'd like to free up more cap space and get Everson Griffen back to have the defensive line intact and some veteran OL.

And, they're probably going to wait until Draft to see how it pans out before making any drastic trade at this point.

Maybe, that's why Vikings and Browns could've discussed about possible trade for OBJ after the draft, if they don't get the receiver they target, which might explain the compensation mentioned in the currency of 2021 Draft picks, if at all there's any truth to this.

• Like 1

I'll pass.  

I shy away from receivers who show a lot of production but get traded constantly.

He obviously showed to two different teams now that he's more trouble than he's worth.  Why would we hand over a draft pick expecting that to change?

• Like 1
On 4/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, buccolts said:

Bill O’Brien is a nut job, how he has a job is beyond me

• Like 2
On 4/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, buccolts said:

What's up with odd WR trades this year?

Maybe because the draft is loaded with WR talent  :thinking:

On 4/15/2020 at 12:43 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Make it true :please:

:scorebad: OBJ just brings drama and costs too much. I don't want him. We are better off with a couple of guys on rookie contracts. 

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

:scorebad: OBJ just brings drama and costs too much. I don't want him. We are better off with a couple of guys on rookie contracts. 

That's ok too.

But we already have drama in Cousins, except that it doesn't happen on the screen (except when Cousins was arguing with Thielen in sidelines on the route ran) but it happens a lot behind the scenes that other players are happy to go, seeing that they didn't get the franchise QB they thought Vikings were getting. 

OBJ does make some drama, and can't control his emotions, but I'm thinking at least that would make Cousins being more responsible. Last year, Diggs made him play better after the "drama". Cousins needs fire lit up from time to time to play well. Now, we need Thielen to do that (he has had similar drama since Cousins became his QB), and fans will want Thielen out of the team for that. We are going to have drama nevertheless.