Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Colts Roster Outlook

CR91

6 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Well we don’t know where exactly we will pick next year that’s a premature assumption. 

Of course we don't, but the O-line is great, the D-line has been upgraded, the QB has been upgraded and it's almost certain that the injuries will not be as bad as they were last season for the WR crew.  so 16-22 is a fair estimate on where we will be sitting.  

On 4/15/2020 at 8:32 AM, Hark said:

I think there is a very real chance that CB takes 2 receivers and 2 TEs in this draft. I think one of the 2s will be a WR and there are several great down the field TE options to be had in rounds 3-5.

I’m more hopeful we see a WR, TE and OLine with our first 3 picks. The plot will certainly thicken if Love is available at 34 though and I’m not sure you could not take him. 

On 4/15/2020 at 11:15 AM, shastamasta said:

You can make a good case for early picks being spent on any position except LB...although WR is requisite. Going to be a fun draft.

WR, TE and Oline is top 3 imho. Cb could also be a distant 3rd as well. 

23 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

The QB tandem should read: Rivers, Kelly, Eason.

I could honestly see this. You could insert multiple different QB names for Eason, from Love down to Morgan or Gordon etc... The plan has to be for PR to be a 2 year option OR for one of those other QB’s to absolutely shine in the preseason (if we have one) or during practices showing he knows what’s happening and capable of implementing the playbook etc...

17 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I Would be very nervous if the QB Room contain a 38 yo PR, an unproven CK and a rookie

It is not like JB has a 5 year contract 

All In This Together GIF by INTO ACT!ON

I wouldn’t. Let’s face it, if PR goes awry, this teams hopes of competing is sunk anyway. If PR doesn’t perform as well as we are hoping for or he gets injured, may as well see the young guns and see if we have to work on a trade up for Lawrence or Fields perhaps. I’m still high and encouraged about what CK can do for the team on the field. He seemingly hasn’t had any Dak Prescott corona quarantine parties or been listed as a participant at any of them and he has had ample opportunity to show up on the radar with such idle time. That’s a positive imho. 

20 hours ago, Hoose said:

Me too. If they draft a QB I expect to see Kelly given his walking papers. 

I really wish they let Kelly instead of Hoyer play against Miami last year. Many of you treat him like a pro bowler just waiting for his time. If they team felt they had a better chance to win with Kelly they would have done that. 

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I really wish they let Kelly instead of Hoyer play against Miami last year. Many of you treat him like a pro bowler just waiting for his time. If they team felt they had a better chance to win with Kelly they would have done that. 

Exactly. I understand why some think Kelly can play in the NFL because of what they seen in one pre season game. IMO it is the coaches who see him in practices everyday and haven't used him. It is up to Kelly himself to make an impression on the coaches. He has had every chance to upgrade himself and hasn't. 

This training camp may be his last opportunity, who knows? 

Sorry, I trust the coaches opinions over a few fans who are looking at what they seen in that one pre season game. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. I understand why some think Kelly can play in the NFL because of what they seen in one pre season game. IMO it is the coaches who see him in practices everyday and haven't used him. It is up to Kelly himself to make an impression on the coaches. He has had every chance to upgrade himself and hasn't. 

This training camp may be his last opportunity, who knows? 

Sorry, I trust the coaches opinions over a few fans who are looking at what they seen in that one pre season game. 

I don't totally disagree and I am not on board with Kelly like many are.   

However, I don't think his path was as clear as you said.   I think he had steps to follow.   #1 was proving he could stay out of trouble.   Even before he would be able to prove himself on the field, he had to show he could be good off the field.   With Luck, Brissett and then Hoyer, I doubt the coaching staff put much time into evaluating Kelly.  Why waste time on him until he stays clean?   The 2020 training camp and preseason is where Kelly could elevate himself, but with Rivers and Brissett, it'll only happen  if they do not draft a QB.  

On 4/15/2020 at 11:15 AM, shastamasta said:

You can make a good case for early picks being spent on any position except LB...although WR is requisite. Going to be a fun draft.

That is exactly how a good roster is made.  We have starters at every position but can draft BPA when it’s our time to pick.  I like to see the team draft good players that fit our scheme over reaching for a player that fills a need.  There will always be question marks for every roster. Football is the ultimate team sport and good players can help hide slight deficiencies at other positions.  Always go after good players unless you are stacked at that position. This will be a solid team in a couple years If players develop and a SB contender if we find our qb. Big IFs tho. 

23 hours ago, Myles said:

I can see why Kelly excites some people.  He has more explosive qualities than Brissett.

But until we see him doing this against 1st string players, it is just not as solid.  

Kelly is intriguing 

I like what I see in his college highlights and what he did in preseason

If he had failed in the “Away from football” time.... he would already be gone

I do agree that this camp is his last chance with the Colts

If the Colts do take a QB (I’m starting to wonder) in this years draft (50/50)

I think you will see CK or JB get cut or traded, if we do this

The Colts have had ample opportunities to cut CK.

I keep going back to the 2nd half of last year..... we NEEDED the roster spots..... we had a starter and a backup QB......  but they kept a roster spot for CK

they must see something

In my opinion, I would draft a mid round development QB and let the rookie compete with CK for the backup role

I would let JB go or trade for a 6th

On our roster..... The OL is one injury away from a huge problem ..... we need an OT and OG in this draft to develop

I think the obvious WR in round 2 or 3, should happen

I also would bring in another DE for rotation

On 4/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, Myles said:

I can see why Kelly excites some people.  He has more explosive qualities than Brissett.

But until we see him doing this against 1st string players, it is just not as solid.  

At first I pretty much dismissed Kelly but as time has gone by he is still on the roster.

There has to be a reason Ballard keeps him other than a cheap contract. 

Ballard may have his future QB already on the roster. Sounds crazy but Rivers and Brissett are both on one year contracts. 

If Kelly is still standing at the end of next season who knows? 

If Rivers mentors him at all it could pay off. 

I could see a scenario where Kelly would be Rivers back up in 2021 after Brissett plays his contract out and Rivers signs another one year contract. 

IMO Ballard has been building this offense where a top 10 QB is not a necessity. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:12 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Kelly is intriguing 

I like what I see in his college highlights and what he did in preseason

If he had failed in the “Away from football” time.... he would already be gone

I do agree that this camp is his last chance with the Colts

If the Colts do take a QB (I’m starting to wonder) in this years draft (50/50)

I think you will see CK or JB get cut or traded, if we do this

The Colts have had ample opportunities to cut CK.

I keep going back to the 2nd half of last year..... we NEEDED the roster spots..... we had a starter and a backup QB......  but they kept a roster spot for CK

they must see something

In my opinion, I would draft a mid round development QB and let the rookie compete with CK for the backup role

I would let JB go or trade for a 6th

On our roster..... The OL is one injury away from a huge problem ..... we need an OT and OG in this draft to develop

I think the obvious WR in round 2 or 3, should happen

I also would bring in another DE for rotation

Why do you think this camp is Kelly’s last chance?    What has happened that would be true?

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I should have said, last chance with the Colts.

How many more camps will they give him to be a 2nd backup?

I understood your meaning...

But what if it’s Rivers then Brissett 1-2 this year and Kelly as the PS guy.   I think he has one more year he can do that?

Next year, JB moves on, Rivers returns as the starter and Kelly is the backup. 

It’s a hypothetical and I think it’s at least possible.  (Assuming Kelly csn do the PS again). 

Archived