Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Colts Roster Outlook

CR91

With the draft a week away, I am gonna take a final look at the current roster

QB - Rivers, Brissett, Kelly

Imo, the colts want to first found their QB in the draft before they release Brissett. I just can not see them keeping a QB room with a cap hit with over 40 mil and with so many uncertainties at the position. While I am not in favor of Rivers, I can understand the move as one a bridge and two a mentor to the eventual future QB.

RB - Mack, Hines, Wilkins, Bruce Anderson, Darius Jackson

Mack imo will continue to be the go to option on offense. I am thinking we're gonna take a lot of the same approach on offense as the 2018 chargers. 15-20 touches for Gordon and Eleker as a the change of pace back and we'll see that with Mack and Hines.

FB - Nix

Nix imo was brought in to yes help Mack and the running game, but also to get the dirty yards. If you see last season, a lot of 4th and short plays were QB sneaks and obviously we're not gonna do that with Rivers.

WR - Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Fountain, Dublin, Chad Williams, Atravis Scott, Rodney Adams, Steve Ishmael, Malik Henry

WR has a lot of holes especially with Hilton going into his final year of his contract and no replacement currently on the roster to be WR1. I am a fan of Pascal and Campbell, but I feel there needs to be more weapons to help Rivers especially to find him similar weapons he has had in the past like the Vincent Jacksons, the Malcom Floyds, the Mike Williams. Rivers really likes to throw 50-50 balls and we don't have that kind of weapon on the roster.

TE - Doyle , Allie-Cox, Billy Brown. Xavier Grimble, Ian Bunting, Matt Lengel

I am worried about the depth at TE. Doyle continues to be a overall good option at TE with his sure hands and blocking along with Aliie-Cox, however after that is very lackluster. We currently don't have the type of TE Ebron was supposed to be to take advantage of certain mismatches.

OT - AC, Smith, Clark, Andrew Donnal, Brandon Hitner, Cedrick Lang, Travis Vornkahl

The current depth of the o-line imo is my number one concern across the line. There is just no one currently on the roster that I trust to start if someone were to get hurt. I expect the colts to use two draft picks to add much needed depth.

IOL - Nelson, Kelly, Glowinski, Chaz Green, Javon Patterson, Jake Eldrenkamp

The interior worries me more just because I feel Glow is a weak link on the line and I believe Smith makes him look a lot better then he is. Also the fact that Kelly is going into his final of his contract. I have mentioned us drafting Cesar Ruiz and I truly believe that is the direction the colts will go.

DE - Houston , Turay, Benogu, Muhammad, Gerri Green, Jegs Jegede, 

I am not concerned about replacing Sheard because I feel like we are going to move Buckner all over the line. The way I see it, Buckner will be at DE on run downs and then he will kick inside on pass downs. So I on run downs, I see Buckner, Day, Stewart, Houston and on pass downs I see Turay, Autry, Buckner, Houston.

DT - Buckner, Autry, Stewart, Day, Lewis

I am expecting to see a lot of movement with our line to keep them fresh especially for like Houston to give our young guys like Turay and Benogu a chance to get more experience.

LB - Leonard, Walker, Okereke, Adams, Speed, Franklin, Skai Moore

I am actually really impressed with the type of talent we have at LBer especially for years where I felt it was the most under-performing unit for a long time. Now we have long, rangy, athletic, hard hitting LBers that can not only shed blocks and make plays on run downs, but can actually cover RBs and TEs.

CB - Moore, Rhodes, Ya-Sin, Wilson, Tell, Carrie, Picasso Nelson, Lafayette Pitts, Jackson Porter

This group intrigues me mostly because I am not sure how well this group will perform. I think Moore is easily our best corner and one of the best players on the team. Ya-Sin and Tell I think had solid rookie years and im excited to see them continue to grow. Rhodes is a wildcard, but if it doesn't work out, I still think we needed a vet in our corner room to help our young guys and I think that was the main focus of this move.

S - Hooker, Willis, Odum, Milligan

I like the safeties we currently have. Hooker I believe will benefit the most from the new additions to the dline. I just hope Hooker learns to how to bait QBs because we already know Hooker has great range when healthy. Willis is a growing star and imo the best player from our rookie class last year, however I would still would try to sign Berry because of how much 3 safety looks we do on defense.

ST - Mclaughin, Sanchez, Rhodes

Its really gonna be weird not seeing Vinny. Its been an amazing 15 years watching him kick for the shoe. Mclaughin seems to be the front runner, however I would not be surprised to see the colts draft a kicker with one of their 6th round picks

I'm leaning more and more toward believing that the Colts won't be looking for a future quarterback until next year. I can see them keeping Rivers and Brissett because they are both FA's next year anyway.

I guess it will depend on if they find somebody they like in the mid rounds. 

50 minutes ago, CR91 said:

With the draft a week away, I am gonna take a final look at the current roster

QB - Rivers, Brissett, Kelly

Imo, the colts want to first found their QB in the draft before they release Brissett. I just can not see them keeping a QB room with a cap hit with over 40 mil and with so many uncertainties at the position. While I am not in favor of Rivers, I can understand the move as one a bridge and two a mentor to the eventual future QB.

While I agree they'll take a QB if the right one falls, not sure it'll happen. And if it doesn't, I think they'll eat JB's salary and finish out his contract. I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

RB - Mack, Hines, Wilkins, Bruce Anderson, Darius Jackson

Mack imo will continue to be the go to option on offense. I am thinking we're gonna take a lot of the same approach on offense as the 2018 chargers. 15-20 touches for Gordon and Eleker as a the change of pace back and we'll see that with Mack and Hines.

I think we're going to see a lot of Hines catching the ball. Top 3 in receiving yards wouldn't surprise me at all. Wouldn't be surprised if Mack was more involved in the passing game too, and can also see two back sets with Mack and Hines. 

FB - Nix

Nix imo was brought in to yes help Mack and the running game, but also to get the dirty yards. If you see last season, a lot of 4th and short plays were QB sneaks and obviously we're not gonna do that with Rivers.

I agree with the need (a short yardage back), but have doubts Nix makes the team. DL turned LB turned FB.... IDK... I'd prefer they just take a big short yardage RB in the mid to late rounds.

WR - Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Fountain, Dublin, Chad Williams, Atravis Scott, Rodney Adams, Steve Ishmael, Malik Henry

WR has a lot of holes especially with Hilton going into his final year of his contract and no replacement currently on the roster to be WR1. I am a fan of Pascal and Campbell, but I feel there needs to be more weapons to help Rivers especially to find him similar weapons he has had in the past like the Vincent Jacksons, the Malcom Floyds, the Mike Williams. Rivers really likes to throw 50-50 balls and we don't have that kind of weapon on the roster.

Not concerned too much about Z and slot. I don't think they've given up on TY, and for sure haven't given up on Campbell. Both CB and FR said plenty to lead us to believe they intend to work Campbell gradually outside from slot to Z, and I think they'll likely stay on that track. I think both Fountain and Dulin have potential at either slot or Z (both are kinda tweeners). IMO, the big need is at X, especially with Funch departing.

TE - Doyle , Allie-Cox, Billy Brown. Xavier Grimble, Ian Bunting, Matt Lengel

I am worried about the depth at TE. Doyle continues to be a overall good option at TE with his sure hands and blocking along with Aliie-Cox, however after that is very lackluster. We currently don't have the type of TE Ebron was supposed to be to take advantage of certain mismatches.

I agree we need a guy here, but I'm happy with JD and MAC as two of the 3. Should be several options in the mid rounds for a detached option. I think MAC will surprise this year though. Would love Kmet, but I don't see us using 34 on him, and doubt he last till 44.

OT - AC, Smith, Clark, Andrew Donnal, Brandon Hitner, Cedrick Lang, Travis Vornkahl

The current depth of the o-line imo is my number one concern across the line. There is just no one currently on the roster that I trust to start if someone were to get hurt. I expect the colts to use two draft picks to add much needed depth.

I agree depth is a big concern. We don't know want they think of some of the lesser names, but it's scary not knowing. There are a few guys that should be available at 44, and perhaps even 75. I'd use either for PT Wanogho. A bit raw, but really high upside.

IOL - Nelson, Kelly, Glowinski, Chaz Green, Javon Patterson, Jake Eldrenkamp

The interior worries me more just because I feel Glow is a weak link on the line and I believe Smith makes him look a lot better then he is. Also the fact that Kelly is going into his final of his contract. I have mentioned us drafting Cesar Ruiz and I truly believe that is the direction the colts will go.

All lines have weak links. Glow is one of the better weak links in the league. I have zero issue with taking an IOL though if the right one is available middle rounds. Not worried about Kelly, and think he'll be back.

DE - Houston , Turay, Benogu, Muhammad, Gerri Green, Jegs Jegede, 

I am not concerned about replacing Sheard because I feel like we are going to move Buckner all over the line. The way I see it, Buckner will be at DE on run downs and then he will kick inside on pass downs. So I on run downs, I see Buckner, Day, Stewart, Houston and on pass downs I see Turay, Autry, Buckner, Houston.

Day and Stewart will only be on the field at the same time in short yardage / goal line packages IMO.

DT - Buckner, Autry, Stewart, Day, Lewis

I am expecting to see a lot of movement with our line to keep them fresh especially for like Houston to give our young guys like Turay and Benogu a chance to get more experience.

Bet ya

Pass downs - Houston Autry Buckner Turay

Run downs - Houston Stewart Buckner Autry

I am actually really impressed with the type of talent we have at LBer especially for years where I felt it was the most under-performing unit for a long time. Now we have long, rangy, athletic, hard hitting LBers that can not only shed blocks and make plays on run downs, but can actually cover RBs and TEs.

I think we'll see either Franklin or Adams cut. If Oke continues to be the #1 SAM, no need for both Franklin and Adam. I get that they are STs guys too, but a guy like Speed who likely has more upside can solve for that need if one of them is cut.

CB - Moore, Rhodes, Ya-Sin, Wilson, Tell, Carrie, Picasso Nelson, Lafayette Pitts, Jackson Porter

This group intrigues me mostly because I am not sure how well this group will perform. I think Moore is easily our best corner and one of the best players on the team. Ya-Sin and Tell I think had solid rookie years and im excited to see them continue to grow. Rhodes is a wildcard, but if it doesn't work out, I still think we needed a vet in our corner room to help our young guys and I think that was the main focus of this move.

Everything beyond Moore and Rock concerns me. Rock was our best CB by far the last 1/3 of the year. Moore needs to get back to 2018 form. Rhodes is a dice role but would love it if he returns to 2016 form. Tell is unproven, but I like him a lot. Carrie is a good back up, but if he's playing a lot, that means we have injury IMO. I'd still like to take a CB if one that we like is available or falls a bit.

S - Hooker, Willis, Odum, Milligan

I like the safeties we currently have. Hooker I believe will benefit the most from the new additions to the dline. I just hope Hooker learns to how to bait QBs because we already know Hooker has great range when healthy. Willis is a growing star and imo the best player from our rookie class last year, however I would still would try to sign Berry because of how much 3 safety looks we do on defense.

I think Willis will always be at his best in the box. Good there, but suspect when not. Agree that Hooker will look like a new man with the upgrades at DL. I think all of our DBs will benefit big time. I could also see Tell moving back to S if Rhodes works out well.

ST - Mclaughin, Sanchez, Rhodes

Its really gonna be weird not seeing Vinny. Its been an amazing 15 years watching him kick for the shoe. Mclaughin seems to be the front runner, however I would not be surprised to see the colts draft a kicker with one of their 6th round picks

Not really concerned about McL. If there's a guy they really like in the 6th though, I won't complain. 

------------------------------------------------

Good post even though I disagree with some of it. Can't wait to see the musical chairs start after the draft. Only a week and some change!!

36 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I'm leaning more and more toward believing that the Colts won't be looking for a future quarterback until next year. I can see them keeping Rivers and Brissett because they are both FA's next year anyway.

I guess it will depend on if they find somebody they like in the mid rounds. 

I am trending that way myself.  

Just when most think they know what Ballard will or won't do, he does it. 

Him being unpredictable is one of the reasons I like him. 

After listening to Frank's comments I get the impression that if Rivers plays well he would like him to be extended. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Forgot to add in the CB section. Don't be surprised if Wilson is traded during the draft. We've done it before with Henry Anderson and Nate Hairston

I agree with you there , I don't think they will reach. With Trevor Lawrence expected to come out next year I can see them waiting for next years draft class.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I am actually really impressed with the type of talent we have at LBer especially for years where I felt it was the most under-performing unit for a long time. Now we have long, rangy, athletic, hard hitting LBers that can not only shed blocks and make plays on run downs, but can actually cover RBs and TEs

There is more than a possibility that the Colt LB's could turn into the best until they have had since moving to Indy. Of course, taking more LB's that any other position in the draft will do that. Well, if you choose well, and I think they have. I think of the jump some of these kids will make, along with the constant pressure this interior d-line group could create...:headspin:

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Forgot to add in the CB section. Don't be surprised if Wilson is traded during the draft. We've done it before with Henry Anderson and Nate Hairston

Maybe for a 6 or 7.  

I would not be surprised to see Ballard go O and D line with our first two picks.  

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I agree with you there , I don't think they will reach. With Trevor Lawrence expected to come out next year I can see them waiting for next years draft class.

I don't think the Colts will be anywhere near a position to take Lawrence.  

It's amazing how much of a difference Buckner looks just on paper (or computer screen haha) when you look at our DT's. Everyone was playing a spot over their heads, now they can slide down and be 2-5 on the depth chart at DT with an All-Pro ahead of them.

For this particular year, we look like a playoff team. The draft will fill some more needs. It's coming to the point where our draft classes aren't starting right away because of the talent on this team. Look at last year, and that's a good thing. Well done @CR91

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think we're going to see a lot of Hines catching the ball. Top 3 in receiving yards wouldn't surprise me at all. Wouldn't be surprised if Mack was more involved in the passing game too, and can also see two back sets with Mack and Hines. 

Maybe sparingly. With Luck, Reich ran 2-1 or 2-2 a combined 6% of the time. With JB...it was 4%.

The biggest difference I see happening is the increase in 1-1 (3 WR) sets. With Luck, they used this set a whopping 70% of the time. With JB...it was only 57%. 

Naturally...with JB starting...they had at least two TEs on the field...41% of the time. But with Luck...it was only 26% (I assume that is because Ebron was being utilized as a big slot WR).

With Rivers being more like Luck as a passer...I think Reich will look to get back to his 2018 ways...which means adding talented WRs is a must...and possibly a move TE as well.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Maybe sparingly. With Luck, Reich ran 2-1 or 2-2 a combined 6% of the time. With JB...it was 4%.

The biggest difference I see happening is the increase in 1-1 (3 WR) sets. With Luck, they used this set a whopping 70% of the time. With JB...it was only 57%. 

Naturally...with JB starting...they had at least two TEs on the field...41% of the time. But with Luck...it was only 26% (I assume that is because Ebron was being utilized as a big slot WR).

With Rivers being more like Luck as a passer...I think Reich will look to get back to his 2018 ways...which means adding talented WRs is a must...and possibly a move TE as well.

I agree with the above to an extent, but think they augment because of Hine's talent + Rivers past success throwing to RB + potential limitations in the WR space. In short, Hines is more of less the 3rd WR while Mack remains the RB. Especially if TY struggles again.

By the way, where did you get your package %s. The site I used to use for those is now dead lol.

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with the above to an extent, but think they augment because of Hine's talent + Rivers past success throwing to RB + potential limitations in the WR space. In short, Hines is more of less the 3rd WR while Mack remains the RB. Especially if TY struggles again.

By the way, where did you get your package %s. The site I used to use for those is now dead lol.

Sharp Football Stats...awesome site...you'll love it. You can filter it by down, distance, quarter, game...and whether it was a rush or pass...but it only goes back to 2018 (which is perfect for the Colts though).

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

I just realized I had it filtered to 1st and 2nd down...so my percentages were a bit off...but the overall idea remains.

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Sharp Football Stats...awesome site...you'll love it. You can filter it by down, distance, quarter, game...and whether it was a rush or pass...but it only goes back to 2018 (which is perfect for the Colts though).

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

I just realized I had it filtered to 1st and 2nd down...so my percentages were a bit off...but the overall idea remains.

thanks brother

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lets hope so anyway. lol

I think a great O-line and good running attack puts a team in position to win at least 6-8 games.  That would put us too far away from the number 1 pick in the draft.   Add Rivers and Buckner to the roster and I think minimum 8 wins with a maximum of 12.   

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

If they believe he is the long term solution don’t think for one minute that Ballard won’t trade up to select him. 

I cant even imagine what it would take to trade from 20ish to #1.

One disappointing stat about LUCK was his weakness on finding the back which PR excels!  I think most here will be surprised how much better this Colts team is than 2019!  If the draft falls in our laps and we somewhat win the injury bug, this team can represent the AFC in Tampa!  Don't quite get the negativity but most will see come wk 4!

5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

One disappointing stat about LUCK was his weakness on finding the back which PR excels!  I think most here will be surprised how much better this Colts team is than 2019!  If the draft falls in our laps and we somewhat win the injury bug, this team can represent the AFC in Tampa!  Don't quite get the negativity but most will see come wk 4!

The only thing that worries me is JB is moved and the injury bug strikes

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The only thing that worries me is JB is moved and the injury bug strikes

Unless the colts take a day three QB, then yes I'd be worried, but a day two QB would atleast be looked at as a potential future QB anyway so that experience would be very beneficial.

6 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I suppose you have a say for an AV roster spot too?  

Why should I worry about AV he is not and probably  will not be a Colt

IMO as a someone who has been around football since day 1 of my life JB is better than CK as a vet backup and mentor to a draftee

Archived