Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And with the 34th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select...? (Select Position in Poll and Name of Player in comments)

And with the 34th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select...? (Select Position in Poll and Name of Player in comments)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Position and Player at the 34th Pick OT Trade...

• WR
    • OT
    • DE
    • DT
    • OG
    • CB
    • QB
    • TE
    • S
    • Other

I voted OT. I'll predict Austin Jackson.

Here is why I think they will go with an OT.

- Ballard and his staff place a significant emphasis on the o/d lines.

- AC has already considered retirement and at 31 you can't project him playing 4-5 more years.

- It seems likely there will be some pretty good OT prospects to choose from early in round 2.

- The Colts lack depth on the offensive line.

What Ballard has said and what him and staff have done have been pretty consistent. See some of his quotes from this article by Mike Chappell in February.

“Y’all obsess about wideouts,’’ he said with a smile. “I obsess about o-line and d-line.’’

Despite the o-line returning intact, don’t be surprised if Ballard targets a mid-round selection for a tackle to groom as Castonzo’s eventual replacement.

“That’s a position I think you always need to look at,’’ he said. “It’s better to anticipate that a year or two earlier and start to get some guys in the pipeline.’’

Granted, Chappell says we shouldn't be surprised for a mid-round OT selection. Personally, I think we shouldn't be surprised to see an OT selected much earlier and possibly come out of the draft with 2 offensive line prospects.

Ask me a month ago, and I would have pounded the table for a WR.  But with all the comments Ballard has made about depth at WR in this draft, and about the value he anticipates at the position in later rounds, I’m now thinking it’s most likely going to be OT, with DE as second most likely, or an outside shot at TE, depending on who is available.

51 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I see the pollster really, REALLY despises the idea of selecting a running back there, since it wasn't in the list, ha ha. That's OK. I'm still going with JK Dobbins.

I agree.  To not even put it as a choice?  Seriously.  Too early to go with WR with the draft so deep.  I will also go with RB.  Taylor or Dobbins. 

3 hours ago, Superfly said:

OT Ezra Cleveland 

AC’s future replacement, who adds solid depth to line and could play OG in rookie season, like Tarik Glenn. 

I get your point as I think we need an OT with one of the first 3 picks

Is Ezra able to play guard better than Glowinski until AC retires?

30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I get your point as I think we need an OT with one of the first 3 picks

Is Ezra able to play guard better than Glowinski until AC retires?

Cleveland played OT for 3 straight years, but he may be better inside.

Don’t know if you follow Lindy’s, but they gave him a 1st or 2nd grade as an OG. 

He’s one of my favorite players in the draft. 

I think Ballard will trade down from 34 unless a stud is available that he really likes. Look for guys like OT Ezra Cleveland, WR Denzel Mims, WR Justin Jefferson, OT Austin Jackson, CB Trevon Diggs, and WR Tee Higgins to all be options at 34 or 44 though. 

16 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

I’ll say a player slips out of the first and we get..

Marlon Davidson - DE

How is Davidson 'in the 1st round' (an obvious requirement if he's going 

to 'slip out if it') ?   

Referring to some (largely worthless) Mock Drafts, I presume ?

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we keep our 34th pick and Pittman is still there I think he will be our pick. I saw a tweet and he actually has the best hands out of all the big WR. I also wouldn’t put it past us trading back into the first for him.

His hands are good, but his speed and separation  not so much

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

His hands are good, but his speed and separation  not so much

Well, lot of people on radio shows and stuff have emphasized Rivers tendency to let his WR’s make plays and give them a chance. So separation isn’t exactly a must have if they really like his size, hands and athleticism. Pittman wouldn’t be my first choice but I’d be okay if we ended up with him. 

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

How is Davidson 'in the 1st round' (an obvious requirement if he's going 

to 'slip out if it') ?   

Referring to some (largely worthless) Mock Drafts, I presume ?

Are you implying  we don’t need a DE? I would say you need to look at our roster if you are. Houston is entering his last year on contract and the other guys no matter how much potential we see in them(especially Turay) they haven’t been able to put a full season together. Not to mention Ballard has said you can never have enough pass rush. We’ve seen first hand with Freeney and Mathis it can literally change games. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Tee Higgins. 

I haven't done a whole lot of research on anybody this year.  Just looking through some guys right now and Tee Higgins does stand out to me.  Wouldn't be mad with the pick.  I like him and Denzel Mims so far. 

1 hour ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Are you implying  we don’t need a DE? I would say you need to look at our roster if you are. Houston is entering his last year on contract and the other guys no matter how much potential we see in them(especially Turay) they haven’t been able to put a full season together. Not to mention Ballard has said you can never have enough pass rush. We’ve seen first hand with Freeney and Mathis it can literally change games. 

You do realize by drafting another DE it’s just adding potential. I think we have a lot in Banogu and Turay. I am also in the camp we don’t need another DE.  If we were drafting high in the first I would change my mind if we could get a stud. We don’t need to draft another developmental one in the mid to late rounds.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You do realize by drafting another DE it’s just adding potential. I think we have a lot in Banogu and Turay. I am also in the camp we don’t need another DE.  If we were drafting high in the first I would change my mind if we could get a stud. We don’t need to draft another developmental one in the mid to late rounds.

I don't  want another project  de. If they take one he needs to have immediate impact. 

Archived