Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ve been a Colts fan since...

coltsfeva

I’ve been a Colts fan since...  

94 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start rooting for the Colts?

• Unitas Era 1950s - 1960s
    • Bert Jones Era -1970s
    • Move to Indy - 1984
    • Andrew Luck Era - 2012
    • Since they got Rivers - 2020

Move to Indy ERA... When I moved to Indy from Dubai then learnt there is a game called football which is not played by foot well except kicking and punting. Friend of mine father used to work for city, and we used to get tickets for Pacers and Colts game, and well rest is history. Go :colts:

On the other note I missed the games from DOME man were those games loud.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. Before ‘84 most Hoosiers were Bears fans, Bengals fans or Dolphins fans. 

Southeast Indiana never left the Bengals phase. It pretty much bleeds orange and black over here.

There were several Colt fans since Sam Ball was a Henderson Ky native

Some Card fans too 

For me it was when the Colts drafted Bert Jones.

Before that I was a Viking fan. I still have those memories of snow coming down on that color purple with Bud Grant on the sidelines. It's still strange to me seeing the Vikings playing in a dome at home. 

I was working at the corner of South and Senate streets when Indy started building the Hoosier Dome. I watched that dome being built everyday with no knowledge the Colts were going to move here. We at first thought the Cards were going to move here. Needless to say I was ecstatic when we seen the Mayflower trucks leaving Baltimore heading to Indy. Just having my favorite team move to Indy was dream come true for me.

Now I have three grown grandsons who are Colt fans. 

Through all the ups and downs it's been a long great ride for me. 

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

My disdain for the Steelers was imprinted upon birth. Though my dad is a Colts fan, the majority of our family roots for the Bengals. 2005 took my disgust of yellow and black to a whole new level. 

My mini Super Bowl every year is the day the Colts or Bengals beat them. 

I was at the game sitting behind the opposite end zone when Bettis fumbled.  I can't believe how many fans left prior to that.  My dad and I never left our seats or gave up hope.  I still can picture Bettis up the middle and the ball popping out the other direction.   

Not sure who I dislike more, Nick Harper's wife or Mike Vanderjagt.  

10 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

When Jim Harbaugh was the QB and Reggie Miller was draining threes for the Pacers!

Good times

Mid-1990's for me.

I wasn't alive for the Baltimore days and its always struck me as a little odd that the Baltimore Colts are part of the Indianapolis Colts but the Baltimore Ravens weren't part of the Browns (before the Browns came back at least). 

And then the Browns history remained with the Browns when they came back but the Baltimore Colts history isn't with the Ravens even though they're both in Baltimore. Is it ownership that determines that?

When I heard the name Johnny Unitas (1956) we were in the Cold War with the evil empire of the Soviet Union and what went through my young brain was "Johnny unite us." He was my instant super hero and always will be my only sports hero. Die hard Colts fan ever since.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Mid-1990's for me.

I wasn't alive for the Baltimore days and its always struck me as a little odd that the Baltimore Colts are part of the Indianapolis Colts but the Baltimore Ravens weren't part of the Browns (before the Browns came back at least). 

And then the Browns history remained with the Browns when they came back but the Baltimore Colts history isn't with the Ravens even though they're both in Baltimore. Is it ownership that determines that?

The reasons the Colts left Baltimore was entirely different than when the Browns left Cleveland. 

Colts left Baltimore because of the threat of eminent domain, lack of fan base and old stadium.  

Browns left Cleveland for money. 

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The reasons the Colts left Baltimore was entirely different than when the Browns left Cleveland. 

Colts left Baltimore because of the threat of eminent domain, lack of fan base and old stadium.  

Browns left Cleveland for money. 

MLBN showed parts of the 1979 WS and Memorial Stadium was bad then

It all began with Joe Thomas

@Mitch Connors

From when I was 10 (in 1969) until I was 15, I was a huge Minnesota Vikings fan (  Hi @NFLfan :highfive2: ) and they were great. Joe Kapp and Fran Tarkenton (QB's), Grady Alderson, Mick Tinglehoff, Ron Yary (OL), the Purple People Eaters Alan Page, Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, Gary Larsen (DL), and Paul Krause (FS),  Gilliam and Washington (WR) and others.  My dad was a Bears fan, my brother a Colts fan at that time (still are).

Then in 1975 with Bert Jones emerging, I joined with my brother as a Colts fan and we both have been ever since. Even with the move from Baltimore to Indy. And if the Vikings do well in the meantime, I'm not opposed to that at all, either. But the Colts have been my team for 45 years.

I can't vote because there is too big a gap between 1984 and 2012.

I moved to Indiana in 1987.  It was northern Indiana where there were more Bear fans.  I never became a Bears fan.  Through the years 1988-1994, I became a mild Colts fan.  Mid nineties was more of when I became a fan.   Then of course when Manning was drafted.  

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

From when I was 10 (in 1969) until I was 15, I was a huge Minnesota Vikings fan (  Hi @NFLfan :highfive2: ) and they were great. Joe Kapp and Fran Tarkenton (QB's), Grady Alderson, Mick Tinglehoff, Ron Yary (OL), the Purple People Eaters Alan Page, Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, Gary Larsen (DL), and Paul Krause (FS),  Gilliam and Washington (WR) and others.  My dad was a Bears fan, my brother a Colts fan at that time (still are).

Then in 1975 with Bert Jones emerging, I joined with my brother as a Colts fan and we both have been ever since. Even with the move from Baltimore to Indy. And if the Vikings do well in the meantime, I'm not opposed to that at all, either. But the Colts have been my team for 45 years.

I knew there was a reason we got along. :P

Several Colts fans have told me that they had been Vikings before the Colts moved to Indy. Why the Vikings and not the Bears or Packers or the Bengals? (Especially the Bengals.)

Luck era here. I became Colts fan because of Andrew Luck. I had just started following football and I decided I wanted to pick a team to root for so I decided to go with one of the teams with a rookie QB. And the more I watched the more I liked Luck and the Colts... so... yeah. That's the short of my Colts beginnings. 

...1999. I was not a fan of the Colts or Peyton Manning then, had just moved to Indianapolis from Albuquerque. Once I started following the Colts, Peyton Manning's endearing personality made me love the Colts more, and with Dungy's arrival, I became more fond of the Colts, and here I am. 

7 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

I was born in 1953. Remember being at my uncle's house for dinner while the greastest game ever played was airing on t.v.. Of course, the picture was so snowy you couldn't hardly see it and i really didn't understand what was going on. I was raised in lower Delaware close to the Mason Dixon line, so therefore as i was growing up the local t.v. would show most of the games. As i got older i was able to go see them live at memorial stadium a few times. Oh how i loved going and watching the game and all the excitement. A lot of good memories.  

When the Mayflower trucks came to Baltimore and took them away it was in all the t.v. coverage. It was a really big deal. I personally felt betrayed and remember feeling devastated. Eventually i realized i had no ties to the city of Baltimore and began to follow my Colts in Indy. Thanks for the internet! 

Anyway, i have been a Colts fan for many years and have both my sons as the same. In my area, there still remains a few Colts fans here and there. I'm proud to wear my Colts apparel and am proud to be a Colts fan. Thank you NFL Sunday Ticket!

I was born in 54 at Baltimore Women’s Hospital (sure it’s gone now). Grew up 40 miles north in a town with the Mason-Dixon markers still existing. I too remember the 58 game as probably my first memories of the Colts. We had a huge console, with about a 9” black and white tv in it.   My worst memory besides Super Bowl III was losing a playoff game to Pittsburgh- but the drubbing saved lives. People had left the upper deck when a small plane tried to land on the field and crashed into the stands...

My wife is from Indy- we moved here in 80, and the Colts followed soon after. I was sure I was going to have to buy a satellite and watch them play in Phoenix...

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was working at the corner of South and Senate streets when Indy started building the Hoosier Dome. I watched that dome being built everyday with no knowledge the Colts were going to move here.

I had a great view from a top floor building (now gone) at McCarty and West Street. It was neat to watch. Even neater, later, Being on that building’s roof when the Motorcade for President Reagan to give a Speech in the Dome came thru. Probably 85?

A side note- I have a Brick from Baltimore’s Memorial Stadium.

According to the results, the majority of fans are pretty old, fans since the 50's and 60's.   I'm almost 50 (born in 1970).  I became a fan in the mid 90's.   I wonder how many are not voting because they don't have a voting option.   This forum cannot really be an average age of 70, can it?

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

According to the results, the majority of fans are pretty old, fans since the 50's and 60's.   I'm almost 50 (born in 1970).  I became a fan in the mid 90's.   I wonder how many are not voting because they don't have a voting option.   This forum cannot really be an average age of 70, can it?

I am feeling young after reading some of these responses 

For me it was mid 2010's that became a real fan, before then I would watch NFL on sky or c4 over here in Scotland, but my Dad brought our son some souvenirs back from a business trip and we were hooked. The Colts are not a "big" team over here, so I normally watch red zone when a game is on, then check into you tube for the highlights. 

I thought my best moment was seeing the team live in London in 2016, but that was surpassed in 2018 when we came to the states to see them lose to the jets, but then on the last day of our holiday seeing them breath the bills at lucas oil. Memories that will last a lifetime. 

I was hooked watching the '65 Western Conference playoff game, a 13 - 10 loss to the Packers in OT, with Tom Matte at QB due to injuries. THAT was a great game. One could argue we had no business competing in that game, yet coulda/shoulda won it.

Yep..... Western Conference, go figure.

Shout out to all the old farts on here (joking :D), wasn't aware some of you were such old timers here, nice to see.

Hard to figure out who's who during the year. Nice to see some of you that like to complain are long time fans.. :D

I became one right at the cutoff, parents moved to Baltimore for a couple years in the early 80's and it was the local team. As a kid I had no clue about their past or anything so just started rooting for them. 

The end of the Baltimore era/beginning of Indy era was some ugly * football... Lol

I was a Cowboys fan due to the fact the were on National broadcasts EVERY week. When the rumors started about the Colts moving to Arizona or here I was really excited. Watched that news cast where the trucks were moving out of Maryland heading to Indy and I was instantly a Colts fan. I love this city and I root for it to win with every team we have. My mom got up early and as I got up to drive to school (my freshman year at IU) she gave me my first Colts shirt. Mom you have been gone since 1992 and I am thankful to have these memories of you. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

For me it was when the Colts drafted Bert Jones.

Before that I was a Viking fan. I still have those memories of snow coming down on that color purple with Bud Grant on the sidelines. It's still strange to me seeing the Vikings playing in a dome at home. 

I was working at the corner of South and Senate streets when Indy started building the Hoosier Dome. I watched that dome being built everyday with no knowledge the Colts were going to move here. We at first thought the Cards were going to move here. Needless to say I was ecstatic when we seen the Mayflower trucks leaving Baltimore heading to Indy. Just having my favorite team move to Indy was dream come true for me.

Now I have three grown grandsons who are Colt fans. 

Through all the ups and downs it's been a long great ride for me. 

Bert, Lydel and the Looney tunes D line.

Growing up in Indy in the 60's, I wasn't much of a football fan. My dad, from up North in Rochester, was a Bears fan, so I followed suit. When puberty struck in the early 70's, my allegiance to the Bears was sorely tested by the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders! I definitely rooted for them (along with the Bears) for a few seasons.

Fast forward to the mid 80's, I was stationed in Germany when the Colts moved to Indy. I wasn't paying much attention to professional sports during my Army days. Especially not while stationed overseas. 

But when I moved back to Indy in '86, my dad had a pair of season tickets that we used for several years. I remember the first time walking into the dome and the positive air pressure (that I wasn't expecting) nearly pushed me right back out the door.

I continued rooting for the Bears, including that amazing '85 defense and their '86 SB win over the Pats. Then, over the next 3-4 years, my love for the Colts grew until they eclipsed the Bears in my fandom. That's pretty much it - I'm a die hard Colts fan now. Have been since the '80s.

Side note: I am proud to be a Colts fan. A large part of that is because the organization stands up for character development, champions it. I stopped being a Pacers fan on Nov 19, 2004. Haven't attended nor watched a single game since. Some say wins are all that matters, but not for me. Character matters. Along with wins. Go Colts!

25 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Growing up in Indy in the 60's, I wasn't much of a football fan. My dad, from up North in Rochester, was a Bears fan, so I followed suit. When puberty struck in the early 70's, my allegiance to the Bears was sorely tested by the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders! I definitely rooted for them (along with the Bears) for a few seasons.

Fast forward to the mid 80's, I was stationed in Germany when the Colts moved to Indy. I wasn't paying much attention to professional sports during my Army days. Especially not while stationed overseas. 

But when I moved back to Indy in '86, my dad had a pair of season tickets that we used for several years. I remember the first time walking into the dome and the positive air pressure (that I wasn't expecting) nearly pushed me right back out the door.

I continued rooting for the Bears, including that amazing '85 defense and their '86 SB win over the Pats. Then, over the next 3-4 years, my love for the Colts grew until they eclipsed the Bears in my fandom. That's pretty much it - I'm a die hard Colts fan now. Have been since the '80s.

Side note: I am proud to be a Colts fan. A large part of that is because the organization stands up for character development, champions it. I stopped being a Pacers fan on Nov 19, 2004. Haven't attended nor watched a single game since. Some say wins are all that matters, but not for me. Character matters. Along with wins. Go Colts!

I'm not much of an NBA fan but it appears integrity matters to the Pacers these days. 

I started when the Baltimore Colts won in 68, Earl Morrall/Johnny U.  I lived through the loss to the Jets in SBIII. I was overjoyed when we beat the Cowboys in SBV. I rejoiced when we had Bert Jones.  I went through hell with Art Schlicter and John Elway rejection. Those were really difficult times. Not until we got Peyton Manning did I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Not long after the Steelers cut Johnny Unitas, after they drafted him. The reason given by their coach ? He did not think Unitas was smart enough to play Quarterback. When he hooked up with the Colts, that to me started the saga of the Colts, and for the NFL interest, after the televised 1958 Championship  win against the Giants. It really put the NFL on the map nationwide. 

9 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Mid-1990's for me.

Difference with the Ravens situation is all the Browns lore was allowed to remain with Cleveland. Ergo, the Ravens were a new fresh start.  

With the Colts, after the move there was a 10-year agreement in place for the Colts to remain with Baltimore, but Baltimore’s getting a new franchise happened after expiration of that agreement. Thus, the  “Colts” name travelled to and remained in Indy.  This is why Colts history now spans both cities.  

Just like how Raiders history is Oakland, LA, Oakland, and now Las Vegas. Raiders history encompasses all three cities. 

Browns history is just Cleveland  (with a footnote).

Ravens history is just Baltimore (with a footnote). 

Rams history is LA & St. Louis. 

Colts history is Baltimore and Indy. 

Simple. 

Archived