Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ve been a Colts fan since...

coltsfeva

I’ve been a Colts fan since...  

94 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start rooting for the Colts?

• Unitas Era 1950s - 1960s
    • Bert Jones Era -1970s
    • Move to Indy - 1984
    • Andrew Luck Era - 2012
    • Since they got Rivers - 2020

6 hours ago, Semicolt said:

Born 1949 and Colts fan since 1958! Watched my first game , the 1958 championship with my Dad and his friends and have been a diehard ever since and my son is carrying on the Colt tradition!

My favorite movie is Diner. 

Must see viewing for ALL Colts fans!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the team moved to Indy. So since 1984. I had been watching football since basically 1977 and had many teams I liked but when we got a team I started rooting for the Colts. I was 12 going on 13 so understood the game pretty well at that point. We stunk from 84-86, when we got Dickerson in 1987 that put us on the map. I voted moved to Indy in 1984. 

My top 5 favorite seasons since 1984 still remain:

5. 2004 - Peyton 49 TD's, 12-4 record, a playoff win. Peyton was a machine.

4. 1987 - Put us on the map, we won the AFC East led by the Dickerson! We finally out did the Dolphins and Patriots.

3. 2012 - Lucks rookie season. The comebacks by Luck were unreal and we went 11-5, made the playoffs when many had us winning maybe 5 games at most. Luck looked a 10 year Vet that season.

2. 1995 - Harbaugh magic. 1 play away from the SB, what a fun season. Lost in the AFC Title Game where we got screwed by the usual Pitt REFS lmao . Winning at KC in the Divisional Round was priceless. That game was so awesome.

1. 2006 - Playoff run = Won at Baltimore beating Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Steve McNair in the Divisional Round. Beat the Patriots 38-34 (AFC Title Game) taking out Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Beat the Bears in SB 41 when Bears fans were talking crap before the game saying Peyton was a choker. We were also 10-0 at home counting the playoffs. I have always said, great teams take care of their home field. 

Just having fun with this but I wanted to add, my 6th favorite season would be 2018. Andrew Luck returning and leading us to a 10-6 record and winning at Houston in the playoffs was huge for this franchise. We owed Houston for the previous 3 years. 2018 gets my honorable mention.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

According to the results, the majority of fans are pretty old, fans since the 50's and 60's.   I'm almost 50 (born in 1970).  I became a fan in the mid 90's.   I wonder how many are not voting because they don't have a voting option.   This forum cannot really be an average age of 70, can it?

I was born in 1971, started watching football in 1977 basically but I liked a lot of teams from 1977-83. Then once the Colts moved here in 1984, I became a Colts fan. 

Most of the people in Indianapolis either liked the Bengals or Bears before we got a team. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was born in 1971, started watching football in 1977 basically but I liked a lot of teams from 1977-83. Then once the Colts moved here in 1984, I became a Colts fan. 

Most of the people in Indianapolis either liked the Bengals or Bears before we got a team. 

I feel sorry for al you guys who were late to the game 

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I feel sorry for al you guys who were late to the game 

Before the Colts got a team, I liked many teams. I just loved the game, started watching when I was 6 years old so I didn't have a care in the world. I even liked the Cowboys lol, I liked Tony Dorsett. I liked the Chargers as well because they were fun to watch with that passing game = Fouts, Joiner, Winslow. I was really never a Bengals or Bears fan but they were on TV a lot here so I watched them a lot. Bengals made the SB in 1981. I have a couple of friends that are diehard Bears fans as of today because they were fans before we got a team. That is like in Baseball, most were either Reds or Cubs fans here in Indy when I was growing up because we had no pro team. Still don't. I chose the Cubs at an early age, they were always on WGN.

@2006Coltsbestever

My statement was about not being a fan of football until age 6, 11, 15 etc.

My baby pictures were with a Football and jersey     
       One of my first baby gifts was from my Dad’s players

I became a fixture at games before I was 6 and by my 5th Grade Year I was spotting for the HS TV Broadcast 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@2006Coltsbestever

My statement was about not being a fan of football until age 6, 11, 15 etc.

My baby pictures were with a Football and jersey     
       One of my first baby gifts was from my Dad’s players

I became a fixture at games before I was 6 and by my 5th Grade Year I was spotting for the HS TV Broadcast 

6 is pretty young.

I became a Colts fan when we moved to Indianapolis and I was 5.  I remember we went to get ice cream and my dad got a mini plastic helmet and I asked why he got the white one rather than the green one (my favorite color at the time) and he said this was local football team’s helmet.  I became a fan then even if I didn’t truly understand what I was a fan of.  Probably a good thing too because this was 1987 and while the Colts made the playoffs that year it was the lone bright spot in one of the darkest eras in Colts football.  

I unfortunately grew up in a Raiders household, so I went away to college and was in the market for a new team.  In 1995 I saw Comeback Player of the Year Jim Harbaugh take a 9-7 team one dropped hail mary from the Superbowl.  Harbaugh was an ordinary man doing extraordinary things.  It was an inspiring story, so despite being from NY and having no ties to Indy... I will probably die a Colts fan.  It's a sound organization with classy fans, a stellar stadium, and a GM who will never sell us down the river yet always keep us in the hunt.  As fans we can have a little faith and enjoy the Ballard years while they last.  

15 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

I unfortunately grew up in a Raiders household, so I went away to college and was in the market for a new team.  In 1995 I saw Comeback Player of the Year Jim Harbaugh take a 9-7 team one dropped hail mary from the Superbowl.  Harbaugh was an ordinary man doing extraordinary things.  It was an inspiring story, so despite being from NY and having no ties to Indy... I will probably die a Colts fan.  It's a sound organization with classy fans, a stellar stadium, and a GM who will never sell us down the river yet always keep us in the hunt.  As fans we can have a little faith and enjoy the Ballard years while they last.  

Since the move to Indianapolis in 1984, 1995 was my 2nd favorite team only behind 2006. That 1995 team played with a chip on their shoulder, was well balanced on defense and offense. Harbaugh played like an all-pro at times that season.

14 hours ago, Myles said:

According to the results, the majority of fans are pretty old, fans since the 50's and 60's.   I'm almost 50 (born in 1970).  I became a fan in the mid 90's.   I wonder how many are not voting because they don't have a voting option.   This forum cannot really be an average age of 70, can it?

I’m 66.

I started pulling for them in 1970. I was 9 years old and as most kids do at that age they pull for someone that is good. Blue was/is my favorite color and Dallas and Baltimore both had a lot of blue in their uniforms and they were both good. Two of my friends already picked Dallas so they wouldn't let me, so I took the Colts. 

I haven't read the whole thread so I imagine most everyone in here has a story they have shared  to prove their allegiance to the Colts. Here is my story. I was in a serious accident in October of 1980 and was in a medically induced coma for 5 days. The first thing I said when I woke up was "Did the Colts win?" Unfortunately they did not. And to make it even worse it was to the freaking Patriots 37 - 21

On 4/14/2020 at 7:45 AM, coltsfeva said:

The recent changes to the Colts secondary emblem made me wonder how many of us were fans of the team in Baltimore?
  I was born in 1955 and remember the disappointment of SB III, the joy of winning SB V and the Jones era in the ‘70s.

How about you?

same here, born 1955   been through it all since.  Some oldy goldies   Roger Carr,The the mad stock Hendricks,Bubba Smith,Earl Moral, Mike Curtis to name just a few.Great players back then.

Grew up in Texas, wasn’t a huge football fan at the time because we were poor and didn’t have TV or cable most of the time so couldnt really follow. I considered myself a Cowboys fan and not an Oilers fan only because they were Texas teams and you were either a fan of one or the other dang it!!!haha

We moved to Indiana in 1990. Several kids at my new school kept asking me if I was related to a Colts player due to having similar last names. My mother was able to get a good paying job and we were finally able to afford a tv and cable! So I started following the Colts due to that player(might of even bluffed to some friends that we were related, lol) during the Harbaugh years. When Peyton was brought on I can honestly say I didn’t follow him much before but heard a lot of good things about him. After watching him play and be interviewed, I became a huge fan. Loved his personality and work ethic. Reminded me of a big brother I wish I would have had! I then learned more about the team and history and I was hooked! So long story short, since 1990. :rock::1colts:

I Believe it was 1967,uncle gave me a box of sport magazines, Was an Oriole fan as a kid, (birds in trees)  From Canada so only got 1 game a week in December (CFL season ended at end of November)  Best memory ..Tom Matte QB when others were injured.   

I've watched since the early 2000's when I was a little girl. My father is a Fire Chief and would go to FDIC every year and bring back colts swag because I like horses. Finally saw them on the tv and made my dad watch with me. Now we are both INDY fans, and I'm in the process of going through a Fire Academy to follow my dads footsteps.

For me the Colts and firefighting have always been interlinked because of it, and I'm incredible grateful for both.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

The voting option should have a Peyton Manning era option. :) 

Huge gap from 1984 to 2012, and the biggest event in the middle was the drafting of Peyton Manning, IMO.

You’re right: I really meant to have that as a choice, can’t believe I forgot that as option (my old age getting to me).

1 hour ago, Kenzicocapontas said:

I've watched since the early 2000's when I was a little girl. My father is a Fire Chief and would go to FDIC every year and bring back colts swag because I like horses. Finally saw them on the tv and made my dad watch with me. Now we are both INDY fans, and I'm in the process of going through a Fire Academy to follow my dads footsteps.

For me the Colts and firefighting have always been interlinked because of it, and I'm incredible grateful for both.

Awesome!!!! I miss going through the Fire Academy, feels like just yesterday! Now I teach at it, lol. FDIC is a great time, firefighter heaven, bummed they had to cancel it this year. Indianapolis is going to lose millions of dollars thanks to this stupid disease. Good Luck, be the hardest worker there, and never stop training. I’m sure your pops is proud of you! 

Came out of my Mother's womb a Colts fan. Growing up on the eastern Virginia shore, my family had season tickets to the Baltimore Colts as back then you couldn't get a Redskins ticket. How thankful I am for that now..:banana:. So when the Colts moved, thanks to John Elway BTW, you are welcome Indiana...Ha!!, I remained a Colts fan. Around here, old school fans talk of RFK stadium, however Memorial Stadium on 33rd was equally impressive and YES I am biased. :goat:

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

The voting option should have a Peyton Manning era option. :) 

Huge gap from 1984 to 2012, and the biggest event in the middle was the drafting of Peyton Manning, IMO.

Yes especially when that’s when most Indianapolis fans got on board.  Not all because of Peyton but that was also the time that the first people who grew up with the Indianapolis Colts came of age to do things like buy season tickets.  

On 4/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, crazycolt1 said:

The reasons the Colts left Baltimore was entirely different than when the Browns left Cleveland. 

Colts left Baltimore because of the threat of eminent domain, lack of fan base and old stadium.  

Browns left Cleveland for money. 

Add in that there were NFL tv games at 1pm and 4pm, but Colts games were at 2pm, because of Baltimore Blue Laws.  The TV networks were pushing for a change...  it took the Colts moving, to get that changed thru law.

North Carolina born and raised.  First became aware of Johny U and Colts in 1958 at the age of 8. But really came around a committed fan about '63. It was Unitas, Moore, Berry and Orr that pulled me in like a strong magnet. That great '64 season that ended in agony at the hands of the Browns. The '65 season when Matte almost led them to the NFL championship game, but lost over a blown FG call. '67 season in which they lost 1 game but were not even the playoffs due to terrible tie breaker rules. Then '68 when Morrall, playing for Unitas, took them to the SuperBowl resulting up to that point the worst day of being a Colt fan. Then Shula leaving to get away from Rosenbloom. Then the Superbowl V victory. Then dark  days  of "Unitas We Stand" and his being traded and Thomas dismantling that proud, successful but aging team. But then a new era of Jones, Mitchell, Carr, Doughty, Chester and that defensive front four. Then another dark day when they ran out of Baltimore in the cover of darkness. I had been in a very painful existence for about 8 yrs due to a traumatic physical injury. , but was fighting my way thru it and doing some sailing as well as got married. I gravitated away from the Colts and football to concentrate on married life and sailing more and more. I did check score /read little game paragraphs in local paper.  However, I found myself drawn back during the run to the Superbowl and victory over the Bears. Seeing that helmet and uniform I was hooked again and have been since.

18 hours ago, HOZER said:

Awesome!!!! I miss going through the Fire Academy, feels like just yesterday! Now I teach at it, lol. FDIC is a great time, firefighter heaven, bummed they had to cancel it this year. Indianapolis is going to lose millions of dollars thanks to this stupid disease. Good Luck, be the hardest worker there, and never stop training. I’m sure your pops is proud of you! 

That's amazing!!! Hopefully I can meet you some time at FDIC! If I can get through this damn study at home stuff we are doing. Lucky they didn't cancel the class though. Are you teaching an academy currently or were you lucky to miss this craziness???

2 hours ago, Kenzicocapontas said:

Hopefully I can meet you some time at FDIC!

Absolutely, that would be great! I was hoping they were going to move it to the fall as they sent out a survey asking people if they would go if they did, but apparently there wasn’t enough interest or they couldn’t make the logistics work. Makes sense it’s a pretty huge operation.

If I can get through this damn study at home stuff we are doing. Lucky they didn't cancel the class though.

giphy.gif

I know it sucks, but trust me, it’s totally worth it. Once things get back on track there are several training opportunities out there to get you caught up on the hands-on portions.

Are you teaching an academy currently or were you lucky to miss this craziness???

We had just started an Academy at our local district, I had taught 1 class before this all went down. Now we are doing it all online through Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc. Practicals are going to be interesting to say the least! I was also supposed to take a class at the Maryland National Fire Academy this month that got cancelled, totally bummed about it too but understand.:Cry:

17 minutes ago, HOZER said:

We had just started an Academy at our local district, I had taught 1 class before this all went down. Now we are doing it all online through Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc. Practicals are going to be interesting to say the least! I was also supposed to take a class at the Maryland National Fire Academy this month that got cancelled, totally bummed about it too but understand.:Cry:

OH NO!!! That sucks about your class being canceled I'm sorry!!

As for you instructing, I bet your recruits are happy to still be able to work with you on some capacity. The internet has made this easier to do and finding ways to interact and keeping morale high seems to be helpful. We have about 14 weeks of practical training before graduation so I'm not sure how thats gonna go either :/. 

1 hour ago, Kenzicocapontas said:

OH NO!!! That sucks about your class being canceled I'm sorry!!

As for you instructing, I bet your recruits are happy to still be able to work with you on some capacity. The internet has made this easier to do and finding ways to interact and keeping morale high seems to be helpful. We have about 14 weeks of practical training before graduation so I'm not sure how thats gonna go either :/. 

Not sure how it will work in the FD world but I have a feeling states/School Corps will grant Emergency waivers for kids/teachers  who had their student teaching/classroom work messed with

35 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure how it will work in the FD world but I have a feeling states/School Corps will grant Emergency waivers for kids/teachers  who had their student teaching/classroom work messed with

Especially since we were already in the midst of a severe teacher shortage. 

My father was born in Baltimore. I was born in 1954. I have been a Colts and Orioles fan since I can remember. I remember the Unitas years.  I still hate the Jets (as well as the Mets and Pirates from baseball). I have lived in Angola, Indiana since 1961 so I was "happy" when the Colts moved to Indy.  As doctors tried to wake me up from an operation in 1967, I told them my father was Johnny Unitas.

Archived