Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could we get Justin Fields next year?

Possible. But as it stands Lawrence and Fields are going 1&2. It just takes a team that doesn’t need a QB to have pick 2. It would take a king’s ransom to get to pick 2 for us though. We’re likely to be picking in the early 20’s. I don’t anticipate our division being a tough one this year.

It's not a valid strategy.  It's clear that we're trying to compete this year.  We haven't really lost anyone of note and made (hopefully) huge improvements to 2 key positions.  I don't see us going sub .500 this year and putting us in a position to trade up for one either Lawrence or Fields.  Likely best case would be trading up to about where we were this year before the Buckner trade.  We're going to have to either go FA or hit on a tier 2+ QB prospect this year or next.  We aren't getting close to another Manning/Luck caliber prospect any time soon.

9 hours ago, buccolts said:

How about he sucks, or we suck, or both, and it's a bit easier to pull that off.

Yep, that's what I was thinking.... That's the shot we have at him - either he has to suck or we have to suck real bad to get to a position to take him.

It’d take a miracle.  I’d honestly take a down year to get Fields.  I think he’s better than Lawrence & actually the best QB prospect since Peyton & Luck.  Watch some of the throws he made last year (in his first chance to really play since high school).  

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

It’d take a miracle.  I’d honestly take a down year to get Fields.  I think he’s better than Lawrence & actually the best QB prospect since Peyton & Luck.  Watch some of the throws he made last year (in his first chance to really play since high school).  

He's (Fields) the reason Burrows is at LSU, he had to xfer. That says alot. 

But jmho, "Sunshine" has been NFL ready since his freshman year lol, beating Alabama in Nation Championship game. Oh and for those who didn't know, Sunshine can take off running too. See Ohio State game. 67 yard run for a TD.

58 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

But jmho, "Sunshine" has been NFL ready since his freshman year lol, beating Alabama in Nation Championship game. Oh and for those who didn't know, Sunshine can take off running too. See Ohio State game. 67 yard run for a TD.

No he's not. Urabn going with Haskins over Burrow caused Burrow to transfer. Burrow played a year in LSU while Fields was a Freshmen at Georgia. 

Yeah no shot at fields. This is what I said to all the people who before FA just wanted us to wait on getting a 1st round QB next year. Lawrence and Fields are going to cost a lot to get. Ballard doesn’t seem the type to trade a king’s ransom for a top 5 pick either.

The Colts can’t count on getting a generational talent at QB anymore. They have to get creative to find a long term answer. Mid-late round developmental pick, see if a guy will be there in the teens-twenties when they pick next year, trade back up for Love if he falls, etc...

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

No he's not. Urabn going with Haskins over Burrow caused Burrow to transfer. Burrow played a year in LSU while Fields was a Freshmen at Georgia. 

I absolutely dont mind ever being corrected football wise, using football as support. I dont like mindless re-hashers who disagree just to disagree. Not adding anything of substance.

4 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

People say that but Lawrence wasn’t NFL ready as a freshman.  He was very polished for a true freshman but I think he went into the perfect environment. Clemson was loaded & had championship experience.  His numbers were very good.  Better than they were this year.  But not better than Fields’ were (this year) his first year getting to truly play.  

Lawrence’s numbers were also terrible when Higgins was taken away.  Don’t know if it was him throwing guys open or more just throwing it up and Higgins coming down with it.  Whereas Fields was throwing deep posts. Deep outs.  I do think Lawrence is the more elusive & faster runner though.  And as of right now, with him getting to play early as a freshman & winning the Chip, his leadership is more established than Fields’.  

I’d honestly be ecstatic with either as the Colts’ QB of the future.  It would take an utter disaster (or miracle) though to reach the heights to get either of those two guys.  I assure you that after the first 4 weeks, many teams will already be looking to tank because you have two certified studs at the top of next year’s draft.  And with the framework of this Colts team mostly constructed, I’d give up whatever it took to get either.

Getting Justin Fields in the 2021 draft is a pipe dream unless Ballard is going to give up a lot of draft capital and he's not that type of GM. This team would have to win 2-3 games to get Fields and that is not happening not with the additions this offseason. You guys must've forgot when Ballard said we were never going to pick in the top 10 again. He's stood by that statement since the Big Q pick back in 2018. 

Fields reminds me of Cam when Cam was at Auburn and was an elite NFL Quarterback. He's got some Russ in his game too and Mahomes. Yes I think he is better than Trevor Lawrence in all aspects. 

Here is my stance on the 2020 QB class. 

Jordan Love - Its likely he slips to the back of the first round. The Saints and the Packers are the teams to watch for regarding Love. I'm not sure the Patriots are going to go that route and if they're going to draft a QB its going to be in the later rounds. That is how they operate. If a team asks for 34 and a future pick I would make that trade in a heartbeat. 

Jacob Eason - He might have the best arm of anyone in this class. But its been said he lacks work ethic. If I'm Ballard, I'm staying away from Eason. 

Jalen Hurts - He definitely has the winning instinct and intangibles to be a NFL starting Quarterback. 

Anthony Gordon - I love his quick release and could be a sleeper pick 

Jake Fromm - Jacoby Brissett 2.0 no thanks 

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Getting Justin Fields in the 2021 draft is a pipe dream unless Ballard is going to give up a lot of draft capital and he's not that type of GM. This team would have to win 2-3 games to get Fields and that is not happening not with the additions this offseason. You guys must've forgot when Ballard said we were never going to pick in the top 10 again. He's stood by that statement since the Big Q pick back in 2018. 

Fields reminds me of Cam when Cam was at Auburn and was an elite NFL Quarterback. He's got some Russ in his game too and Mahomes. Yes I think he is better than Trevor Lawrence in all aspects. 

Here is my stance on the 2020 QB class. 

Jordan Love - Its likely he slips to the back of the first round. The Saints and the Packers are the teams to watch for regarding Love. I'm not sure the Patriots are going to go that route and if they're going to draft a QB its going to be in the later rounds. That is how they operate. If a team asks for 34 and a future pick I would make that trade in a heartbeat. 

Jacob Eason - He might have the best arm of anyone in this class. But its been said he lacks work ethic. If I'm Ballard, I'm staying away from Eason. 

Jalen Hurts - He definitely has the winning instinct and intangibles to be a NFL starting Quarterback. 

Anthony Gordon - I love his quick release and could be a sleeper pick 

Jake Fromm - Jacoby Brissett 2.0 no thanks 

Hmmmm.....Fromm is Brissett 2.0?!?!? Man u r way off on that one.  If Fromm had Brissetts physical traits, you could b talking top 5 pick

On 4/14/2020 at 9:52 AM, Rackeen305 said:

That's not true, Burrow transferred to LSU because he of Haskins.  Fields transferred to Ohio State because he could not beat out Jake Fromm.  Fromm is also the reason Eason went to Washington.

I think Fields will be good and as a Michigan fan that is tough for me to say.

Archived