Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible day three option at QB

21 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Usually the 3rd string QB doesn't dress for games 

I still think we cut Brissett after the draft. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only guy worth taking after the second is Gordon. I think Hurts goes in the second somewhere.

There are other options outside of the norm the media keep mentioning

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t like them. Morgan is so inaccurate.

Day 3, all the QBs are flaws. Morgan is really unrefined, specifically with the footwork. Luton doesn’t have an elite arm. Gordon has the stats and can throw with anticipation but lacks any “wow” traits. That’s why they’re going on day 3. 

3 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Again...... what good will it do to take another backup QB?

They don’t have any QBs under contract...outside of Kelly (and we don’t really know if they have long-term plans for him). 

A developing QB gives them a cheap option for backup QB going forward...which is nice to have anyways. And with a year to develop, he should be ready to step in and be that guy.

Plus, he provides some continuity year over year and some flexibility for next offseason. 

It’s also flexibility for the rest of this offseason...in case a JB trade comes up.

And of course there’s always the chance (slim that it may be)...that they hit a HR and have a Romo type situation.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

They don’t have any QBs under contract...outside of Kelly (and we don’t really know if they have long-term plans for him). 

A developing QB gives them a cheap option for backup QB going forward...which is nice to have anyways. And with a year to develop, he should be ready to step in and be that guy.

Plus, he provides some continuity year over year and some flexibility for next offseason. 

It’s also flexibility for the rest of this offseason...in case a JB trade comes up.

And of course there’s always the chance (slim that it may be)...that they hit a HR and have a Romo type situation.

I still don't see them moving on from JB especially before the draft.  Afterwards and they get a trade offer from a team with a hurt QB then yea I could see that.  Problem is there is no way we carry 4 QB's.   So the new QB would be the QB3.  Now our QB3 is Kelly which we can put on the practice squad without much danger it appears.    Drafting a QB and trying to stash him would probably get him swooped up quickly.

So unless they move JB before the draft there isn't much logic in drafting a QB at all this draft.

Personally I think Brissett will be on our roster through his contract. 

Just because there are some who don't like him does not mean he will be cut.

Like it or not Ballard wants Brissett in the back up roll. 

If and I emphasize if someone offers a trade that Ballard couldn't refuse, maybe. 

If Ballard does draft a later round QB IMO it will be Kelly who hits the road. 

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Gordon has the stats and can throw with anticipation but lacks any “wow” traits. 

From my flawed perspective, Gordon has a ‘wow’ factor.... A crazy quick release

This is a key skill in the pros 

He also seem MUCH more accurate than anyone else, outside of the top 4 QBs

He needs development and time in the weight room, but COULD be a great pro.... if given time to develop.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I think Brissett will be on our roster through his contract. 

Just because there are some who don't like him does not mean he will be cut.

Like it or not Ballard wants Brissett in the back up roll. 

If and I emphasize if someone offers a trade that Ballard couldn't refuse, maybe. 

If Ballard does draft a later round QB IMO it will be Kelly who hits the road. 

Ultimately, I think you are going to be right.....

The front office clearly likes JB..... BUT

They went after Rivers..... so the Colts... KNOW.... that JB isn’t the answer

I’d rather have CK and a rookie back up Rivers.

JB has had his chances, and is not the future franchise QB, 

JB is a perfect backup QB to a guy like Manning or Luck.....

But not in our current world where we don’t have a long term franchise QB established

To me.... we HAVE to get the long term QB answered sooner than later,  a backup QB that isn’t the answer (JB) is in the way of a developing a POSSIBLE franchise QB in this scenario

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Day 3, all the QBs are flaws. Morgan is really unrefined, specifically with the footwork. Luton doesn’t have an elite arm. Gordon has the stats and can throw with anticipation but lacks any “wow” traits. That’s why they’re going on day 3. 

I can live with Gordon because he has the traits like a quick release and throws with anticipation. Those things cant really be taught.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

From my flawed perspective, Gordon has a ‘wow’ factor.... A crazy quick release

This is a key skill in the pros 

He also seem MUCH more accurate than anyone else, outside of the top 4 QBs

He needs development and time in the weight room, but COULD be a great pro.... if given time to develop.

Yeah, it’s not Dan Marino quick, but it is noticeable, especially during the combine. 

That trait will be useful in tough situations in the NFL. He’s got a long way to go in development. But let’s ask this question: 

Is Gordon’s floor and ceiling higher than JB?

If yes, then he’s absolutely the right call for a 3rd round pick. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

But not in our current world where we don’t have a long term franchise QB established

To me.... we HAVE to get the long term QB answered sooner than later,  a backup QB that isn’t the answer (JB) is in the way of a developing a POSSIBLE franchise QB in this scenario

At this point we don't have any answers that's for sure.

I just think Ballard is not going to go into next season without a good back up. Right now that player is Brissett. IMO Ballard is not going to risk not having a quality back up and trust that roll with a rookie QB. 

Ballard is not going to forget what Brissett did do in those games before he got injured. He did trade for him so it's natural for him to have more faith than the fan base.

He might take a chance with a later round QB but if he does, it will be at Kelly's expense IMO.  

Maybe I am wrong and Ballard does something we haven't even talked about? 

After all, most everyone thought they had Ballard figured out and he dispelled those opinions this off season. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I can live with Gordon because he has the traits like a quick release and throws with anticipation. Those things cant really be taught.

Quick release can’t be taught you can develop a certain level of anticipation and scheme helps.

43 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Is Gordon’s floor and ceiling higher than JB?

No. There’s a reason why despite his popularity he’s not getting any media hype. QBs like him come out every year. To be honest he’s not that much different from Fromm. They’re almost the same prospect.  

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Quick release can’t be taught you can develop a certain level of anticipation and scheme helps.

No. There’s a reason why despite his popularity he’s not getting any media hype. QBs like him come out every year. To be honest he’s not that much different from Fromm. They’re almost the same prospect.  

Then our answer is we should spend that 3rd pick on someone else. I honestly haven’t scouted Gordon too much. Been more focused on WRs this year. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

To be honest he’s not that much different from Fromm. They’re almost the same prospect.  

Huh?

They are different types of prospects, by a large margin

Fromm is a safer pick, but has a MUCH slower release, is a glacier in reading the defense, and isn’t nearly as accurate. the styles are night and day different

The odds are that both will be out of football in 5 years.

IMHO, Gordon has a higher ceiling, but definitely a lower floor than Fromm.....

On 4/13/2020 at 9:38 PM, jimmy g said:

Jordon Palmer has been on the NFL Channel several weeks now on Sundays. He has coached McDonald, and says he is the 2nd Best QB in this year’s draft.

That’s absurd. The guy had a hard time keeping the starting job....at Hawaii!!! 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:17 AM, MikeCurtis said:

The do clearly love Brissett.  But, for the love of Mike (Curtis) - WHY?  Because he's a good, likable guy?  They dropped Peyton Manning like a bag of dirt, for goodness sake.

19 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The do clearly love Brissett.  But, for the love of Mike (Curtis) - WHY?  Because he's a good, likable guy?  They dropped Peyton Manning like a bag of dirt, for goodness sake.

I tend to agree with you, but I do see value in him as a backup.

If Rivers was 25, I would be AOK.....

but, as I noted...... We are in an important transition

I personally would rather we use the backup spot to help develop one, if not two potential starters at QB......  To me.... this is urgent, as Rivers may not make it to next year as our starter.

If you don’t have your future franchise QB on the roster and the window is closing at 12 to 24 months.. You need to move urgently toward that goal, because your first try may not be successful.

There are at least 15-18 teams that have a franchise QB, where a backup QB may have more value and we can move JB a bit easier....

We have paid the roster bonus already, so his cost isn’t as high.

If we could get a 6th or even a 7th for him, I’d do it without hesitation.

I would cut him (he would still get some guaranteed money)

he could find his own situation that fits him

As I mentioned a backup QB getting practice reps instead of a development prospect, is an obstacle......

I would also say this..... If the Colts opt to NOT get a developmental prospect .... they may be thinking higher of Chad Kelly than anyone believes......

We will see

On 4/13/2020 at 1:39 PM, stitches said:

My late round flyer at QB is Utah's Tyler Huntley. 

If you are considering  this guy why not take jalen hurts? Heard announcer mentioning lamar Jackson,  which his play style is similar to 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

If you are considering  this guy why not take jalen hurts? Heard announcer mentioning lamar Jackson,  which his play style is similar to 

I like his play as a passer better than Hurts, but I don't think he's as good of a runner. You also would likely be able to get him with a 6th-7th round pick, rather than 2nd or a 3d you have to give up for Hurts.

58 minutes ago, stitches said:

I like his play as a passer better than Hurts, but I don't think he's as good of a runner. You also would likely be able to get him with a 6th-7th round pick, rather than 2nd or a 3d you have to give up for Hurts.

He definitely  seems like he can be better  than alot of the guys picked to go ahead of him. It's  a shame he didn't  get a combine invite. Then again that's  what will make him a steal.

Archived