Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Rollins] Jordan Love Scouting Report - Jordan Love Has SHOCKINGLY High Potential... But He’s Flawed

For the record I think Ballard trading out of pick no. 13 means he was probably not high enough on the QBs in R1(at least the ones we could reasonably get). I still think there is a relatively high chance Love goes in R1 and doesn't reach our first pick and even if he drops I kind of feel like Ballard probably won't take him at 34. That's what I'm reading into what he's done this off-season - heavy win now moves. Taking a QB who will sit on the bench and not contribute with your first pick goes against that overall direction IMO. In general, I think Ballard probably didn't see what he wanted to see from Love in their meetings or thinks he's too raw to give up a premier pick for when the Buckner trade was available.

With that said, I still hope he drops and Ballard thinks the potential is high enough that a R2 pick(or small trade up for 5th year) to take him even though it seems to go against the direction he's taken this off-season.

I don't know what's so surprising or shocking for some of the posters above - people like players and they want them drafted to their team. When one asset for taking said player is taken off the board the hope transfers for the next most likely option. With Love this hope is especially available because he's one of the most polarizing players in the draft to begin with. He might go as high as 5-6 or as low as 2nd round and neither of those would shock me. Do I think he is likely to be there in the 2nd? No... but it's not impossible... Do I think Ballard will take him, even if he drops to us? No, I take the field, but I think it's possible and I hope he does. I have one more week of hope... let me hope. :goodluck:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stitches said:

I've gone back and watched several games of Fromm, Love and Gordon.  And I still think Gordon is the best pure passer in this draft.  I just don't know how he will handle NFL pressure.  I would not be upset if the Colts drafted Fromm or Gordon. (I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Love either, I just don't think he is going to be very good)

I was starting to buy into the Hurts hype, talking about how great of a combine he had and how he showed accuracy, etc.  But I watched a couple of games of his and, other than his running ability and leadership, there is just very little impressive about him; untimely interceptions, untimely fumbles, poor placement on throws, etc.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The colts have stayed in contact. Don’t know where your getting they don’t like him.

The Colts had a video interview with him, where are you getting your information that they have stayed in contact with him (which to me implies multiple conversations)

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts had a video interview with him, where are you getting your information that they have stayed in contact with him (which to me implies multiple conversations)

Love himself has said in interviews he has stayed in contact with the colts. Teams are only allowed so much time each week.

38 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I've gone back and watched several games of Fromm, Love and Gordon.  And I still think Gordon is the best pure passer in this draft.  I just don't know how he will handle NFL pressure.  I would not be upset if the Colts drafted Fromm or Gordon. (I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Love either, I just don't think he is going to be very good)

I was starting to buy into the Hurts hype, talking about how great of a combine he had and how he showed accuracy, etc.  But I watched a couple of games of his and, other than his running ability and leadership, there is just very little impressive about him; untimely interceptions, untimely fumbles, poor placement on throws, etc.

The more I watch Fromm the less I like him. How the hell do you manage to have lower completion % than the horrible Jordan Love season with that team around you? I'd be perfectly fine if he's there for our 4th round pick and we passed on him. 

Wholeheartedly agree on Hurts. I've been saying it for a while now - I think he's a poor passing QB. I think if you draft him you have to build your offense around his running ability, rather than around his passing, in a similar way to what the Ravens did. The bad thing is - he's not as athletic and shifty and elusive as Lamar. I think it will be a fascinating project for a team to take... I just prefer to watch it happen from afar. 

About Gordon - I think he's a very worthwhile shot to take in R3, he has a certain swag about him and he does have anticipation and accuracy. I think he needs tons of work with his footwork, with NFL schemes. I am wondering about his arm a bit. Not in regular situation with clean pocket, but more in situations on the move. His ball floats a bit and it worked in college, but I'm not sure it will in the NFL. With all that said... I would be happy with him in the 3d. I prefer to take that shot than not take it. If I was pushed on it, I'd probably find a way to justify it even in the second round, but I would prefer the 3d. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We as fans will never have info to be able to know this.  We have to trust Ballard and Reich that they will get the info they need. Non of us know how smart Love is or isn’t. That’s up Ballard and Reich to decide.

I’m not saying he isn’t smart, he just has a very long road to go before he is ready. I sometimes think you think he will step in quickly and win. 
Trent Dilfer said On Cowherd, he is high on Jordan Love in the 2nd round and not in the first. Because he was a great one read QB in 2018 . That he was surrounded by a good offensive   system. He needs to sit and learn how to do more in the NFL. That’s what everyone really says.   

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I’m not saying he isn’t smart, he just has a very long road to go before he is ready. I sometimes think you think he will step in quickly and win. 
Trent Dilfer said On Cowherd, he is high on Jordan Love in the 2nd round and not in the first. Because he was a great one read QB in 2018 . That he was surrounded by a good offensive   system. He needs to sit and learn how to do more in the NFL. That’s what everyone really says.   

No I think he needs to sit a year. My only point is teams are asking him to break things down and find out if he can read a defense.  As fans there is no way to know this. There have been plenty of film breakdowns that show him going through his progressions. GM’a and coaches will be the ones to decide if he can. We just have to trust Ballard and Reich. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

The more I watch Fromm the less I like him. How the hell do you manage to have lower completion % than the horrible Jordan Love season with that team around you? I'd be perfectly fine if he's there for our 4th round pick and we passed on him. 

The percentage doesn't mean much, he was not in a presnap one read offense like Love. But it's funny, Love loses all his receivers and that is the reason his play dropped and he threw so many INTs, Fromm loses all his receivers from the year before and he still throws for the most yards in his college career and had a 24/5 TD/INT ratio.  Fromm had a better oline and a slightly better rushing game than Love but Fromm's best receiver was a Florida transfer that missed significant time with injury all season.

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The percentage doesn't mean much, he was not in a presnap one read offense like Love. But it's funny, Love loses all his receivers and that is the reason his play dropped and he threw so many INTs, Fromm loses all his receivers from the year before and he still throws for the most yards in his college career and had a 24/5 TD/INT ratio.  Fromm had a better oline and a slightly better rushing game than Love but Fromm's best receiver was a Florida transfer that missed significant time with injury all season.

The difference is Fromm has 2 potential 1st round OTs, and 3 draftable interior linemen, while Love had trash OLine to start the year... and then his 2 tackles got injured for the season. Fromm also has potential 1st round RB this year and a 5 star no. 1 recruit freshman who will likely be drafted high in a couple of years too("slightly better rush game"? Come on, man).. He has 5 star receivers all over the field. There is a difference between someone losing players and replacing them with no star 4.8 receivers and losing players and replacing them with 5 star future 1st rounders(like Pickens for example, who was actually their best receiver). Utah state doesn't have the ability to replace 9 of 11 starters with quality the same way Georgia can do it(and for the record Georgia didn't lose 9 starters). 

This comparison is nowhere near reasonable. 

40 minutes ago, stitches said:

The difference is Fromm has 2 potential 1st round OTs, and 3 draftable interior linemen, while Love had trash OLine to start the year... and then his 2 tackles got injured for the season. Fromm also has potential 1st round RB this year and a 5 star no. 1 recruit freshman who will likely be drafted high in a couple of years too("slightly better rush game"? Come on, man).. He has 5 star receivers all over the field. There is a difference between someone losing players and replacing them with no star 4.8 receivers and losing players and replacing them with 5 star future 1st rounders(like Pickens for example, who was actually their best receiver). Utah state doesn't have the ability to replace 9 of 11 starters with quality the same way Georgia can do it(and for the record Georgia didn't lose 9 starters). 

This comparison is nowhere near reasonable. 

You can sugar coat it however you want, the fact is Georgia receivers were not a good group in 2019.  He did not have 5 star receivers all over the field.  Additionally, he was going up against the SEC week in and week out, so he was facing a lot more 5 star recruit DBs and LBers.  And, if you watched any Georgia football it doesn't matter how good their interior looked on paper, the interior was not all that good and they got beat pretty regularly.  Love had to face much weaker DBs, much weaker front 7s.

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You can sugar coat it however you want, the fact is Georgia receivers were not a good group in 2019.  He did not have 5 star receivers all over the field.  Additionally, he was going up against the SEC week in and week out, so he was facing a lot more 5 star recruit DBs and LBers.  And, if you watched any Georgia football it doesn't matter how good their interior looked on paper, the interior was not all that good and they got beat pretty regularly.  Love had to face much weaker DBs, much weaker front 7s.

Demetrius Robertson, WR, Georgia - 5 star - no.1 WR recruit in the country

https://247sports.com/player/demetris-robertson-29981/

George Pickens, WR, Georgia - 5 star, no. 4 WR recruit in the country

https://247sports.com/player/george-pickens-46043191/

Dominick Blaylock, WR, Georgia, 4 star, no. 5 WR recruit in the country

https://247sports.com/player/dominick-blaylock-81896/

I completely disagree about their OLine, too... :dunno: 

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The thing with Fromm is it is being said he is nailing interviews. Teams can’t get wrapped up in his interviews where they forget his lack of physical abilities.

Fromm will definitely have a career even as a backup because mentally he has it. All he has to do is work on fundamentals like  footwork, etc. He will get a chance to start at some point and we will see what happens.

Interesting that as I was reading this I saw a similar article on Bleacher Report. It’s saying what everyone is saying: that the only consensus on Jordan Love is that that takes on him are all over the place. One scout says he’s maybe a 4th rounder.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2886389-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-nfl-unsure-what-to-make-of-jordan-love-in-draft

No players landing spot will he anticipated than Love. He’s probably the most fascinating player in the draft.

There is a surplus at QB. Winston and Newton are still out there. It is going to be fun to see where he goes.  He truly is a wild card.  Bucs will probably want  to upgrade other positions for Brady and might pass on a first round QB. Raiders already have Carr and Mariota. He probably doesn’t get passed the saints or patriots. 

22 hours ago, stitches said:

Wholeheartedly agree on Hurts. I've been saying it for a while now - I think he's a poor passing QB. I think if you draft him you have to build your offense around his running ability, rather than around his passing, in a similar way to what the Ravens did. The bad thing is - he's not as athletic and shifty and elusive as Lamar. I think it will be a fascinating project for a team to take... I just prefer to watch it happen from afar. 

About Gordon - I think he's a very worthwhile shot to take in R3, he has a certain swag about him and he does have anticipation and accuracy. I think he needs tons of work with his footwork, with NFL schemes. I am wondering about his arm a bit. Not in regular situation with clean pocket, but more in situations on the move. His ball floats a bit and it worked in college, but I'm not sure it will in the NFL. With all that said... I would be happy with him in the 3d. I prefer to take that shot than not take it. If I was pushed on it, I'd probably find a way to justify it even in the second round, but I would prefer the 3d. 

Agree 100% on every point

22 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would be fine with Gordon. I think he has a lot of traits that can lead to success. I agree he seems to have some moxi. He needs to get in a nfl weight room and put on ten to fifteen pounds. At worse we would have a backup for the future if a better QB is there in a future draft.

Agreed..... Gordon doesn’t have to be ready..... yet

On 4/14/2020 at 3:35 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I would be fine with Gordon. I think he has a lot of traits that can lead to success. I agree he seems to have some moxi. He needs to get in a nfl weight room and put on ten to fifteen pounds. At worse we would have a backup for the future if a better QB is there in a future draft.

Have the Colts met with Gordon?

It appears that they haven’t 

Archived