Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the Rivalry over with?

Shadow_Creek

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Hypothetical question. If tampa play the patriots in the superbowl and you HAVE to cheer for 1 team, who is it????

For me I will be cheering for Tampa.

This is gonna be a very weird, but i'll be cheering against both teams! i've always been behind the "bill was the more important" argument too. So I'd probably cheer for the Pats. I think it'll be hilarious if Tom, with "all the weapons in Tampa" just isn't very good. My my what will the narrative be then..

To me that chapter ended when Peyton left.  Andrew vs the Pats just wasn’t the same and not just because the Colts couldn’t beat them.  Don’t get me wrong I still didn’t like the Pats but the Colts and them were no longer the two best teams in the conference like they were in the Peyton days.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Hypothetical question. If tampa play the patriots in the superbowl and you HAVE to cheer for 1 team, who is it????

For me I will be cheering for Tampa.

I’d pull for Arians.  I’d take Brady getting a ring for a man who truly deserves it.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

To me that chapter ended when Peyton left.  Andrew vs the Pats just wasn’t the same and not just because the Colts couldn’t beat them.  Don’t get me wrong I still didn’t like the Pats but the Colts and them were no longer the two best teams in the conference like they were in the Peyton days.

It sort of reminds me of when I meet a Michigatz fan who want to talk about the rivalry with my Buckeyes.  

I always tell them that at this point it’s more like the rivalry between the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals.  

On 4/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

Now that Tom Brady is with TB does that end our rivalry with NE or does it still continues against BB and Robert Kraft. I for one still do not like NE but without Brady there i dont really see a point anymore in calling it a rivalry unless we start one with Tampa

The rivalry has been over with since 2010. 

It depends on how you look at it.

Manning vs Brady was the meat-n-potatoes of the rivalry, especially from '03-'06, when they kept meeting in the playoffs.  Without Manning vs Brady, this rivalry will probably never be as intense as it was during those years.

But as long as the fans are willing to hold grudges, the rivalry will live on.  And both of these fan bases are more than willing to hold a grudge against the other.  The Colts fans for the Pats cheating and their obnoxious fans; the Pats fans for the Colts snitching about Deflategate and adding extra asterisks to the Pats success.

:puke::flyingelvis::tvsmash:

Personally,  I hope the rivalry is NOT over.   The great rivalries of all sports last the test of time. 

NFL

Packers-Bears

Cowboys-Redskins

Raiders-Chiefs

NBA

Lakers-Celtics

Bulls-Pistons

MLB

Dodgers-Giants

Yankees-Red Sox

And if we start a great run under Ballard and Reich and wind up beating the Pats year after year,  I will enjoy that every single time!

Just one fans opinion...       :colts:

I don't that the rivalry is over in the minds of the teams or the fan bases.  But the rivalry has lost it's shine with general NFL fan base.  Everyone used to care a lot because it was Manning vs. Brady.

Right now it's whatever QB we throw out there verses whatever QB they have.  

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't that the rivalry is over in the minds of the teams or the fan bases.  But the rivalry has lost it's shine with general NFL fan base.  Everyone used to care a lot because it was Manning vs. Brady.

Right now it's whatever QB we throw out there verses whatever QB they have.  

I'm not too sure about that comment. I don't think the QB has anything to do with the distain of the Patriots by most all Colt fans. 

IMO the only reason it's not been front and center is the Patriot fans haven't spent any time in our forum much lately. Should they enter it's game on. :spit:

Now that Tom Brady is with TB does that end our rivalry with NE or does it still continues against BB and Robert Kraft. I for one still do not like NE but without Brady there i dont really see a point anymore in calling it a rivalry unless we start one with Tampa

It’s been over since Peyton left.

Patriot fans definitely don’t consider it a rivalry anymore.

Jets, Chiefs, and Ravens are rivalries.  The Colts have been dead and buried for almost a decade.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:01 AM, John Hammonds said:

History of The Rivalry

Colts record 10-6 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 5-11 starting QB Drew Bledsoe

Head to head matchup Oct 8 - Pats win 24-16

Colts record 6-10 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 11-5 starting QB Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady win SB XXXVI

Head to head matchup Oct 21 - Pats win 38-17

Pats record 9-7 starting QB Tom Brady

No head to head matchup

2003 - Rivalry Truly Starts Here

Colts record 12-4 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady win SB XXXVIII

Head to head matchup Nov 30 - Pats win 38-34

Head to head matchup AFC Championship - Pats win 24-14

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady win SB XXXIX

Head to head matchup Sept 9 - Pats win 27-24

Head to head matchup divisional playoffs - Pats win 20-3

Colts record 14-2 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 10-6 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 7 - Colts win 40-21

Colts record 12-4 starting QB Peyton Manning win SB XLI

Pats record 12-4 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 5 - Colts win 27-20

Head to head matchup AFC Championship - Colts win 38-34

Colts record 13-3 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 16-0 starting QB Tom Brady lose SB XLII

Head to head matchup Nov 4 - Pats win 24-20

Pats record 11-5 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 2 - Colts win 18-15

Colts record 14-2 starting QB Peyton Manning lose SB XLIV

Pats record 10-6 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 15 - Colts win 35-34

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 21 - Pats win 31-28

Colts record 2-14 starting QB Curtis Painter/Dan Orlovsky

Pats record 13-3 starting QB Tom Brady lost SB XLVI

Head to head matchup Dec 4 - Pats win 31-24

2012 - Rivalry End Here

Colts record 11-5 starting QB Andrew Luck

Head to head matchup Nov 18 - Pats win 59-24

No head to head matchup

Pats record 12-4 starting QB Tom Brady won SB XLIX

Head to head matchup Nov 16 - Pats win 42-20

Colts record 8-8 starting QB Andrew Luck

Head to head matchup Oct 18 - Pats win 34-27

Colts record 8-8 starting QB Andrew Luck

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady won SB LI

No head to head matchup

Colts record 4-12 starting QB Jacoby Brissett

Pats record 13-3 starting QB Tom Brady lost SB LII

No head to head matchup

Colts record 10-6 starting QB Andrew Luck

Pats record 11-5 starting QB Tom Brady won SB LIII

Head to head matchup Oct 4 - Pats win 38-24

Colts record 7-9 starting QB Jacoby Brissett

No head to head matchup

2008- Patriots started Matt Cassel.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:24 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

As long as Belichek is running the show, I think the Pats will be a solid team.  

On 4/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, IinD said:

My view as well. Tommy is going to win the 'Goat' conversation in most media/fan circles so who cares as this point.

But I'm honestly praying we see NE go 4-12 or worse for the next 20 years. Plenty of teams owe them an * whooping and I hope we get to see that fanbase/organization humbled for years to come. The AFC east alone owes them dozens of 50-14 beatdown type games.

I doubt we'll see a Belichek-led team lose more than 10 games.  That said, I think Buffalo may become the new AFC East powerhouse.

On 4/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, buccolts said:

I'd pull for covid virus, but if the game had to be played I have to go with NE. 

I'm on the "it's always been about Bill" train.

I tend to agree.  I mean the Pats went 11-5 the year Brady was hurt and Matt Cassel (who never started in college) had to lead them.  

This "rivalry" has been over a long time ago. 

However one can still not like a team. haha

If we're being honest we haven't had an actual rivalry with New England since at least 2014.  The Steelers have more of a rivalry.  Heck, the Buffalo Bills have more of a rivalry.

If we were going to call what we had a rivalry, we'd have had to beat them once when it matters.  Even the Steelers beat them a couple times in the regular season.

Frankly since the Manning-Brady thing ended, there really hasn't been an actual reason to care more about New England than we would about any other highly successful conference opponent.  We hate them mostly out of pure inertia, and I'm sure they couldn't possibly give less of a damn about us at this point.  We've even consummated a couple trades.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great thing is, this will never happen. The Pats do not have the QB now to reach the SB and Tampa won't even win their own division. That belongs to the Saints. I do see Tampa as a wildcard team though. Pats will miss the playoffs is my early prediction, I see 8-8 for them. Buffalo is now better.

I think you have to wait and see what Stidham does.  Right now we have no idea what he actually is, so it's really hard to get a feel for where the Patriots are.

One thing we do know though is that their talent evaluation is among the best in the business.  They pegged Garoppolo as a potential star, he is, they pegged Brissett as a useful backup with the ceiling of a low end starter, he is.  And now they're all in on Stidham despite definitely having the option to go for Dalton or Rivers. 

Just saying, don't count your chickens.  He wouldn't be the first obscure second year quarterback to come out of nowhere and make a splash.

I'm thinking back to the last 2 times the Patriots were without Brady, the Cassel year when they went 11-5, and 2016 where Garoppolo and Brissett combined to go 3-1.  I'm not counting that team out until they're actually in the basement.  Brady wasn't the only very talented person in that franchise.

Also, have you been reading the rumors about Bill Belichick's son Steve?  Looks and sounds like the old man and has been the unofficial defensive coordinator for the Patriots starting after Brian Flores' departure, dude has 3 Superbowl rings as a coach and assistant coach.  Jonathan Kraft is ready in the wings to assume ownership whenever his dad corks it.  We may be nowhere NEAR done with that team!

On 4/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not too sure about that comment. I don't think the QB has anything to do with the distain of the Patriots by most all Colt fans. 

IMO the only reason it's not been front and center is the Patriot fans haven't spent any time in our forum much lately. Should they enter it's game on. :spit:

That's what I mean.  The fan base cares.  But the general NFL audience doesn't.  Manning Vs. Brady was automatically the game of the week.  Now if you arn't a fan of the Pats or the Colts you generally don't care about the Colts/Pats rivalry.  

It was never much of a rivalry outside of Manning vs Brady.   

The series was so dominated by the Pats, it wasn't huge for the Colts.  I think the Pats were 13-5 against the Colts since 2000.

For us fans, it'll always be a big game.  

On 4/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, Valpo2004 said:

That's what I mean.  The fan base cares.  But the general NFL audience doesn't.  Manning Vs. Brady was automatically the game of the week.  Now if you arn't a fan of the Pats or the Colts you generally don't care about the Colts/Pats rivalry.  

No, sorry, not true.  Patriot fans do not care about the Colts any more they do the Texans or Broncos these days.

Patriot fans focus on the Chiefs, Ravens, and Bills , and have for awhile now.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:05 AM, NFLUp said:

It’s been over since Peyton left.

Patriot fans definitely don’t consider it a rivalry anymore.

Jets, Chiefs, and Ravens are rivalries.  The Colts have been dead and buried for almost a decade.

18 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

No, sorry, not true.  Patriot fans do not care about the Colts any more they do the Texans or Broncos these days.

Patriot fans focus on the Chiefs, Ravens, and Bills , and have for awhile now.

Yet.....here you are.

19 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Was there really a rivalry ? 

The Pats don’t see it that way

For the most part, other than a few games, they beat us again and again

It was a little like Ohio State and Michigan....

And while Ohio State likes to brag on this and pretend that it's not a rivalry anymore because they have been so dominate over Michigan, you can still see from the way they act that it very much is still a rivalry in their minds.  For example I'm guessing they havn't stopped referring to Michigan as "The school up North".  I'm guessing most of them probably still root Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan.

Dominance by one side doesn't end rivalries.  That's always something that the dominate team likes to claim. (That their dominance ended the rivalry)  But it's not actually true.  

Rivalries are cultural in a lot of ways and they have very little to do with the question of if the rivalry is competitive.  Until OSU fans stop referring to Michigan as "The School up North" and they stop rooting for who-ever is playing Michigan and they start treating Michigan like any other opponent, it's still a rivalry.  

Pats are still a rivalry with the Colts.  The difference is that instead of Manning vs. Brady now that rivalry is stoked by things like Deflategate and the McDaniels fiasco.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colts–Patriots_rivalry

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Pats are still a rivalry with the Colts.  The difference is that instead of Manning vs. Brady now that rivalry is stoked by things like Deflategate and the McDaniels fiasco.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colts–Patriots_rivalry

I have worked for two companies based in Boston.....

The rank and file Pats fans see the Dolphins and Jets as rivals

They don’t see the Colts as a rivalry..... in anyway near the way the Colts do....

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Lol, thank you!

@NFLUp : "Playing with dolls is for girls!"

Also @NFLUp :

enhanced-buzz-orig-12443-1362673433-11.j

980x-6.gif

Yeah, this board used to be welcoming to other teams’ fans.  Then the slide began here, as well as the unwelcoming attitude among its members.

There used to be many Patriot fans here. 

3 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

Yeah, this board used to be welcoming to other teams’ fans.  Then the slide began here, as well as the unwelcoming attitude among its members.

There used to be many Patriot fans here. 

This forum has its' fair share of other teams' fans, and they are welcomed with open arms.

But for some reason, almost every Pats fan ends up disrespecting and insulting us.  Ironically, it's usually because of something the Pats organization did that they try (unsuccessfully) to defend, which leads to them attacking fellow forum members that aren't buying the company line from New England.  :thinking:

It's the posts of the Pats fans themselves that leads to their reduced numbers in this forum.  Just look at your posting history, for example...  :hat:

Archived