Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the Rivalry over with?

Shadow_Creek

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Now that Tom Brady is with TB does that end our rivalry with NE or does it still continues against BB and Robert Kraft. I for one still do not like NE but without Brady there i dont really see a point anymore in calling it a rivalry unless we start one with Tampa

The rivalry will still continue , the rivalry is with the organization and team not Brady. 

7 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Hypothetical question. If tampa play the patriots in the superbowl and you HAVE to cheer for 1 team, who is it????

For me I will be cheering for Tampa.

Definitely tampa, I would not be mad if they won against anyone besides the colts.  Don't want to see NE get any more

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Definitely tampa, I would not be mad if they won against anyone besides the colts.  Don't want to see NE get any more

My view as well. Tommy is going to win the 'Goat' conversation in most media/fan circles so who cares as this point.

But I'm honestly praying we see NE go 4-12 or worse for the next 20 years. Plenty of teams owe them an * whooping and I hope we get to see that fanbase/organization humbled for years to come. The AFC east alone owes them dozens of 50-14 beatdown type games.

28 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Hypothetical question. If tampa play the patriots in the superbowl and you HAVE to cheer for 1 team, who is it????

For me I will be cheering for Tampa.

I'd pull for covid virus, but if the game had to be played I have to go with NE. 

I'm on the "it's always been about Bill" train.

Most think its over as they feel the rivalry was with Brady but once Bill beats us with a no name qb how can we call it over?  It's only over until the Colts say it's over on the field of play!  We must exorcise or deamons against the Pats & Steelers that still haunt me today but as long as we beat the teams in the playoffs I could care less about these two squads!  Chiefs, Raiders, Bills and Ravens seem like bigger hurdles today just saying.

5 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Now that Tom Brady is with TB does that end our rivalry with NE or does it still continues against BB and Robert Kraft. I for one still do not like NE but without Brady there i dont really see a point anymore in calling it a rivalry unless we start one with Tampa

The rivalry was over years ago when Manning left and then the Colts became a non play off team.  

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Most think its over as they feel the rivalry was with Brady but once Bill beats us with a no name qb how can we call it over?  It's only over until the Colts say it's over on the field of play!  We must exorcise or deamons against the Pats & Steelers that still haunt me today but as long as we beat the teams in the playoffs I could care less about these two squads!  Chiefs, Raiders, Bills and Ravens seem like bigger hurdles today just saying.

Raiders?

The Colts/Patriots were actually big rivals during the 80's and 90's long before Peyton vs Brady due to being in the same division. Peyton vs Brady was just glaring. At least we got the better of them from 2005-2009 going 5-1 against them in that time frame. It will always be a rivalry, even in the Luck era it was, it was just 1 sided in favor of the Pats.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Colts/Patriots were actually big rivals during the 80's and 90's long before Peyton vs Brady due to being in the same division. Peyton vs Brady was just glaring. At least we got the better of them from 2005-2009 going 5-1 against them in that time frame. It will always be a rivalry, even in the Luck era it was, it was just 1 sided in favor of the Pats.

Right. A rivalry isn’t defined by who wins the most. It’s about who matters the most when you do beat  them. When we beat KC last year and during the Manning years, it didn’t feel like a rivalry, but it felt good . I guarantee there will be a special feeling if and when we beat NE or TB.

15 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

C61C9752-883A-4796-AF6B-86F3BE81F062.jpeg.cd5b442805d8ae95518ec1cb5eb42dc3.jpeg

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great thing is, this will never happen. The Pats do not have the QB now to reach the SB and Tampa won't even win their own division. That belongs to the Saints. I do see Tampa as a wildcard team though. Pats will miss the playoffs is my early prediction, I see 8-8 for them. Buffalo is now better.

A little too early to say that .

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

A little too early to say that .

It's real early to say it, I agree but I still say the chances of that matchup happening are like 1% (so close to never happening). I want to see who the Pats roll out there as a starter. Joe average isn't going to cut the mustard if we are talking a SB. Belichick will at least go .500 though because he is a great coach. The Bucs on the other hand do have some weapons. I could see Tom leading them to a 10-6 record with Arians coaching. As of now on paper, Buffalo is licking their chops in the AFC East lmao .

As of now the Bills roster is much better than the pats but a draft and still some free agents left. IF and its doubtful but IF they go into the season with Stidham as their #1 they are dead team walking, if they sign Cam, Winston or trade for Dalton they have a shot at w.c. depending who else comes in.

History of The Rivalry

Colts record 10-6 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 5-11 starting QB Drew Bledsoe

Head to head matchup Oct 8 - Pats win 24-16

Colts record 6-10 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 11-5 starting QB Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady win SB XXXVI

Head to head matchup Oct 21 - Pats win 38-17

Pats record 9-7 starting QB Tom Brady

No head to head matchup

2003 - Rivalry Truly Starts Here

Colts record 12-4 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady win SB XXXVIII

Head to head matchup Nov 30 - Pats win 38-34

Head to head matchup AFC Championship - Pats win 24-14

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady win SB XXXIX

Head to head matchup Sept 9 - Pats win 27-24

Head to head matchup divisional playoffs - Pats win 20-3

Colts record 14-2 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 10-6 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 7 - Colts win 40-21

Colts record 12-4 starting QB Peyton Manning win SB XLI

Pats record 12-4 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 5 - Colts win 27-20

Head to head matchup AFC Championship - Colts win 38-34

Colts record 13-3 starting QB Peyton Manning

Pats record 16-0 starting QB Tom Brady lose SB XLII

Head to head matchup Nov 4 - Pats win 24-20

Pats record 11-5 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 2 - Colts win 18-15

Colts record 14-2 starting QB Peyton Manning lose SB XLIV

Pats record 10-6 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 15 - Colts win 35-34

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady

Head to head matchup Nov 21 - Pats win 31-28

Colts record 2-14 starting QB Curtis Painter/Dan Orlovsky

Pats record 13-3 starting QB Tom Brady lost SB XLVI

Head to head matchup Dec 4 - Pats win 31-24

2012 - Rivalry End Here

Colts record 11-5 starting QB Andrew Luck

Head to head matchup Nov 18 - Pats win 59-24

No head to head matchup

Pats record 12-4 starting QB Tom Brady won SB XLIX

Head to head matchup Nov 16 - Pats win 42-20

Colts record 8-8 starting QB Andrew Luck

Head to head matchup Oct 18 - Pats win 34-27

Colts record 8-8 starting QB Andrew Luck

Pats record 14-2 starting QB Tom Brady won SB LI

No head to head matchup

Colts record 4-12 starting QB Jacoby Brissett

Pats record 13-3 starting QB Tom Brady lost SB LII

No head to head matchup

Colts record 10-6 starting QB Andrew Luck

Pats record 11-5 starting QB Tom Brady won SB LIII

Head to head matchup Oct 4 - Pats win 38-24

Colts record 7-9 starting QB Jacoby Brissett

No head to head matchup

IMHO the rivalry has been over for a while now since Peyton left.  However, my hatred for the Pats is still burning bright.  It's Belichick.  Their snide fans.  It's the cheating.  It's the sleaziness they seem to have with everything.  The luck.  The calls/no-calls.  The weak division they played in all these years.  

No sir, my hatred will live on.  They can't have enough bad things happen to satisfy this ol Colts fan.

There has to be TWO competitive sides for there to be a rivalry. We're a decade out talking about it. 

I really wanted to see the Colts beat a Tom Brady Patriots team again, but I also have grown to dread Pats (and Steelers) games because those two teams have a knack for exploiting how poorly constructed/balanced many Colts teams, especially in Luck's time were.

I'll enjoy seeing the Colts beat the Pats if and when that happens but it won't mean a whole lot by way of comparison. 

From 2003-2009 which I call our glory seasons. We had 7 of them in a row, we were 5-5 vs the Patriots overall counting the playoffs. We were a combined 0-4 against them in 2003 and 2004 but everyone could see us coming on as a legit contender at that point. 2003 was when Peyton became a machine and won his 1st League MVP. From 2005-2009 we were 5-1 against them. I am still proud of what that team accomplished in that 7 season time frame by going 89-23 in the regular season and winning SB 41 in 2006/07.

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

Raiders?

The Raiders are coming and I really like their toughness in the secondary & at rb.  They got a really good young TE in Waller and the Gruden/Mayock combo will continue to build with the 2020 draft.  I think Mike Mayock is a severely underrated GM and will be a threat to the AFC starting this yr!  Don't be surprised if they pull a Wyatt Earp and overtake the "Cowboy" gang at the O.K. Corral, known as Arrowhead Stadium!

23 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

and texans and titans

Archived