Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney has lowered price and will do 1-2 year deal.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent Jadeveon Clowney is willing to sign a 1-2 year contract. 

Clowney has already been forced to lower his asking price. Now he seems to be trending toward a one-year, "prove it" type deal. Fowler reports the Browns may have come the closest to signing Clowney to this point, but that nothing is imminent. 

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Apr 9, 2020, 2:06 PM ET

I say we pull the trigger now. 

Sounds like TEN is all in on him. If the Colts don't get him...I hope it's because he chooses TEN...not because they offered more. TEN only has $21M in cap space...so the offer can't be huge. The Colts have more cap space and more potential flexibility with other moves...so they should have no issue matching TEN. Clowney is a no-brainer on a 1-2 year deal in that $16M range.

He'd be a big time pickup on a motivated one year deal. He's a great player; just not the sack master he was expected to be. If the Colts could get him at $16m for a one year deal, that's worth it. He might just earn a big time deal and stay a Colt, and with the expanded cap, he could be affordable.  You never know. That's a far cry from the 5 year, $120+ million dollar deal he was seeking previously. I'd love to see a fired up Clowney on a one year deal playing for the Colts. 

I would do a 1 or 2 year at 15 mil per. With The D line looking better he can be another very good piece coming off the edge. That allows for very limited double teams. Or they start dedicating TE’s and RB’s to stay home which helps as well. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Sounds like TEN is all in on him. If the Colts don't get him...I hope it's because he chooses TEN...not because they offered more. TEN only has $21M in cap space...so the offer can't be huge. The Colts have more cap space and more potential flexibility with other moves...so they should have no issue matching TEN. Clowney is a no-brainer on a 1-2 year deal in that $16M range.

I also think TEN is the favorite now.  I'm sure he sees them as a playoff team which would appeal to him.  You would think he would view the Colts in the same light but who knows.  I agree a 1-2 year deal in that 16M range should get it done.  But Ballard might have drawn his line in the sand and ended it.  Let's hope not but it's starting to look that way.   

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I also think TEN is the favorite now.  I'm sure he sees them as a playoff team which would appeal to him.  You would think he would view the Colts in the same light but who knows.  I agree a 1-2 year deal in that 16M range should get it done.  But Ballard might have drawn his line in the sand and ended it.  Let's hope not but it's starting to look that way.   

TEN did just get to the AFC Championship game. And for a player trying to build up some value...that defense might be the place to do it.

However...he did seem really excited about playing in SEA’s 4-3 defense...so maybe going to back to a 3-4 isn’t as appealing (though he did have his best seasons in that defense). 

I just love the idea of Clowney taking Sheard’s spot...and having HOU’s #1 overall pick from some years ago on the Colts DL.

Could you imagine...in February of 2019...someone told you that the 2020 Colts DL will feature Justin Houston, Deforest Buckner and Jadeveon Clowney? 

54 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would do a 1 or 2 year at 15 mil per. With The D line looking better he can be another very good piece coming off the edge. That allows for very limited double teams. Or they start dedicating TE’s and RB’s to stay home which helps as well. 

He didn’t really do all that good when he was playing opposite of arguably the best defensive player in the league several of those years. 

And he had in his contract that he couldn't be franchised, which being his second time would have been for around 25 million. This is like Bell with the Steelers, these guys leave a lot of money on the table not really knowing their value..

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

If the price is right, a one-year deal rich with incentives would work for me.  This D would be top 5 IMHO with him.  Give him 13-14M with another possible 3-4M in incentives.  If he does certain things he could still get 16-18M.

The incentive rich approach is the right deal

12M base

Break 10 sacks? Extra 1.5 m

Play in 14 games? Extra  1 mil

If he gets hurt or under performs you cover yourself a bit

but... again.  Is this real?

Or media click bait

7 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

And he had in his contract that he couldn't be franchised, which being his second time would have been for around 25 million. This is like Bell with the Steelers, these guys leave a lot of money on the table not really knowing their value..

Funny... I was just fixing to reference Bell and his whole “hold out” fiasco.

I don’t know if these guys’ agents are blowing smoke up their tailpipes or what. :dunno:

12 hours ago, ColtJax said:

That would be a lot of money for the D-line.

If we are letting go of Houston after this year (very likely), having Clowney for 2 years would kind of even out, plus the fact that Jacoby could be gone after the 2020 season too. The thing about Clowney that I like his hustle on broken plays. He has gone in practice against one of the most elusive ones in Russell Wilson. Plus, in the AFC, if we have Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes to deal with, both that can be good in broken plays, you need a guy with the upside hustle of Clowney to get them.

I think that would make our DL the best in the AFC if we get him and with our secondary having not so many household names, it will increase their efficiency considerably, and not to mention the long arms of Buckner and Clowney batting down balls. It increases the margin of error for Philip Rivers and company too, not having to score upwards of 25 most of the time thus increasing our odds of winning more games.

12 hours ago, ColtJax said:

That would be a lot of money for the D-line.

Beyond that, it's probably pointless to go all in on this season.  The draft and everything is a nice diversion, but the idea of any kind of normal football season taking place is pure fantasy, I'm afraid to say.  They're digging mass graves in New York, yet the Jets and Giants will be out at training camp in a few months?  

Additionally, what will the protocol be when players get sick?  The flu spreads through locker rooms every year.  Once coronavirus inevitably hits a team's locker room or facility, what happens?  Is everyone in isolation?  Is that team off the schedule?  Until there is a medical breakthrough, I have a hard time seeing it.

15 minutes ago, #12. said:

Beyond that, it's probably pointless to go all in on this season.  The draft and everything is a nice diversion, but the idea of any kind of normal football season taking place is pure fantasy, I'm afraid to say.  They're digging mass graves in New York, yet the Jets and Giants will be out at training camp in a few months?  

Additionally, what will the protocol be when players get sick?  The flu spreads through locker rooms every year.  Once coronavirus inevitably hits a team's locker room or facility, what happens?  Is everyone in isolation?  Is that team off the schedule?  Until there is a medical breakthrough, I have a hard time seeing it.

My guess is the season starts in October, training camp in August. This of course is at the earliest. IF they were to cancel the season, my guess would be contracts would be treated as if the players retired. Or in other words, basically the contracts would be paused.  

31 minutes ago, #12. said:

Is everyone in isolation?  Is that team off the schedule?  Until there is a medical breakthrough, I have a hard time seeing it.

only took an outbreak on one team to delay and ultimately cancel the nba season

I get the impression that Clowny isnt going to have a great remainder to his career. I dont see him lowering his asking price making him angry. I see him getting depressed over getting a chip on his shoulder. 

If Ballard was going to sign him I think he would have already. 

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I get the impression that Clowny isnt going to have a great remainder to his career. I dont see him lowering his asking price making him angry. I see him getting depressed over getting a chip on his shoulder. 

If Ballard was going to sign him I think he would have already. 

He's not lived up to his billing nearly consistently enough...that's for sure.

And the more I think about it.... especially reminded of Ballard and Reich's philosophy of "football character" noted in the "With the Next Pick" series....I'm not sure they'd bring him in at any price, including the 12m price tag I said I'd pay.

Does he have elite talent when he's health, focused and at the top of his game?

Without question.... but how often has that been?

Not often enough. 

9 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

He's not lived up to his billing nearly consistently enough...that's for sure.

And the more I think about it.... especially reminded of Ballard and Reich's philosophy of "football character" noted in the "With the Next Pick" series....I'm not sure they'd bring him in at any price, including the 12m price tag I said I'd pay.

Does he have elite talent when he's health, focused and at the top of his game?

Without question.... but how often has that been?

Not often enough. 

Yeah and I'm not saying hes a bad person. He just doesnt seem to have a consistent drive. He wants paid for his talent, which he has a lot. But teams arent signing him. That article talks about him even just going for a 1 year deal. From 5 to 1. And teams arent in a race to sign him. 

Says a lot. And Ballard is pickier than a lot of the ones not signing him. 

19 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports free agent Jadeveon Clowney is willing to sign a 1-2 year contract. 

Clowney has already been forced to lower his asking price. Now he seems to be trending toward a one-year, "prove it" type deal. Fowler reports the Browns may have come the closest to signing Clowney to this point, but that nothing is imminent. 

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Apr 9, 2020, 2:06 PM ET

I say we pull the trigger now. 

He'll get motivated coming back to the AFC South playing the Texans twice who traded him. Houston Buck, Day, Clowney, Maniac, Walker, Bobby O, Rhodes, Malik, Willis, Moore, Rock, and someone like Bryce Hall or Trevon Diggs. Oh and Turay coming back! That defense right there can go toe to toe with any offense in the league. 

Justin Houston was going to be 30 and had missed 1/3 of his games over the previous three seasons before being cut by KC and signed by IND.

Clowney is going to be 27 and has missed 4 games over the previous three seasons...making two Pro Bowls. 

Colts should absolutely be willing to give him more than they gave Houston.  

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I would rather sign 3 Sheards. 

Let somebody else pay Clowney to jump offsides (when he's not injured) 

Sheard cost $9M last year...which is more than half was the reported price range could be.

But why would you want two Sheards...let alone two...at this point? He’s a role player. This team needs impact talent...and despite all of the bias here...Clowney is that. 

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Justin Houston was going to be 30 and had missed 1/3 of his games over the previous three seasons before being cut by KC and signed by IND.

Clowney is going to be 27 and has missed 4 games over the previous three seasons...making two Pro Bowls. 

Well, one ability with all of Ballard's FA signings so far is........availability.  None of them has missed any significant amount of time in the NFL.  That's the way to do it.

31 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I see your point....but why is he having difficulty getting signed, and has now offered himself at a reduced 1-2 year deal?

It's not like this draft or free agency is chock full of DEs....such as the WR position. :dunno:

27 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Well, one ability with all of Ballard's FA signings so far is........availability.  None of them has missed any significant amount of time in the NFL.  That's the way to do it.

I wouldn't say all of them. Ebron had missed games...and Justin Houston had a missed a lot of games.

If Houston can get through a 16 game schedule...I am confident Clowney can as well.

13 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I see your point....but why is he having difficulty getting signed, and has now offered himself at a reduced 1-2 year deal?

It's not like this draft or free agency is chock full of DEs....such as the WR position. :dunno:

FA had a few DEs this year. I don't know why Clowney hasn't signed yet...it could be that he is eyeing one team and hoping they can meet his price. I am just glad he's out there...cause that means there's a chance the Colts could sign him.

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

He didn’t really do all that good when he was playing opposite of arguably the best defensive player in the league several of those years. 

One of his most productive seasons was when he and JJ both stayed healthy all year. Plus they had Mercilus have a huge season as well. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

FA had a few DEs this year. I don't know why Clowney hasn't signed yet...it could be that he is eyeing one team and hoping they can meet his price. I am just glad he's out there...cause that means there's a chance the Colts could sign him.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.... what we do know is that if Ballard is interested, he has a number in mind he won't go a penny beyond.

8 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

He'll get motivated coming back to the AFC South playing the Texans twice who traded him. Houston Buck, Day, Clowney, Maniac, Walker, Bobby O, Rhodes, Malik, Willis, Moore, Rock, and someone like Bryce Hall or Trevon Diggs. Oh and Turay coming back! That defense right there can go toe to toe with any offense in the league. 

Dudes only motivation is money.

23 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I wouldn't say all of them. Ebron had missed games...and Justin Houston had a missed a lot of games.

If Houston can get through a 16 game schedule...I am confident Clowney can as well.

I was thinking more just the guys this year.  Rivers, Buckner, Rhodes, etc. have all played the vast majority of their snaps.  Ballard isn't taking many chances on broke dicks this year.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:01 PM, coltsfanej said:

2yr- $25mil. $15 guaranteed with production/availability incentives that could put it up to max of $35mil. 

I’d probably take the risk of a contract like that with him unless there are issues the public isn’t aware of that’s causing him to stay on the market. The guy has a high motor most of the time and even though he doesn’t hit 15 sacks every year, he is often flushing that QB off his spot and we have others that can capitalize on that pursuit. So if you treat the defense as the whole and not on the individual, we would get pretty good results from a Houston, Buckner, Turray and Clowney and at a base of 12.5/year, I’d like that action. I’d say it’s fair pricing and if he does blow up, he earns more money and he gets another shot at a big payday again at 29. It’s a lot of cash on the dline but since we aren’t paying 40 million for a Luck quality type QB (yes we have lots wrapped into 2 QB’s) we should be placing money into solidifying the defense to maximize an aging QB and talented, but young receivers core. 

Archived