Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Jared Cisneros

Jared's April Colts mock draft #1

This is just going to be a quick mock draft without trades. I'll explain each pick briefly.

Round 2a.) Denzel Mims WR: I believe he'll be here if the Packers pass on him. Great contested ball receiver, and the perfect compliment to Hilton and Campbell.

Round 2b.) Cole Kmet TE: If the Bears pass on him right before us, he should slide. Best TE in the class, great measurables, and a Gronk clone to replace Ebron.

Round 3.) Jalen Hurts QB: I'm really starting to warm up to him. Great athlete, very strong, and can be a starter in the NFL. Sit him behind Rivers for a year.

Round 4.) Damien Lewis OG: We need competition at RG and depth on the O-Line. Ballard has shown interest in Lewis, so I have him going here.

Round 5.) A.J. Green CB: Wilson, Carrie and Rhodes all have 1 year left on their contracts. Green would be a good CB to groom for a year until their contracts run out.

Round 6a.) Benito Jones DT: Solid depth DT that is a solid all around player. Only downside is size, but he has a lot of potential.

Round 6b.) Joshua Kelley RB: We are good at RB, but Mack is the only true RB that runs the ball heavily for us. Kelley can make the team and take some carries from Mack so he doesn't tire out and get hurt during the season.

Agree or disagree with my mock? Comment below! :thmup:

• Like 8

Like the picks of Mims, Hurts, and Lewis at OG. 

I'm just not a huge fan of Kmet after watching his highlights. He looks a bit stiff, and isn't a fluid athlete. We already have a TE like him in Doyle. What we need is a matchup nightmare TE who can outrun LBs and outmuscle DBs. 

That's why I like Harrison Bryant better than Kmet. Bryant strikes me as a more athletic and fluid runner at TE. Jared Pinkney is another TE I see as more fluid than Kmet. 

And I think we need to address the OT spot with how good this class is. We have no dependable backup OT on this roster. 

• Like 1

Not too shabby sir.  Love Mims and Kmet.  I think Hurts will be decent, but I'd rather have Gordon in the 4th.  But Lewis would be pretty good really.  Don't know enough about the other guys to comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the first three picks, though I agree with BP that Bryant would be a good alternative option at TE. I could live with either Hurts or Gordon as the QB selection. I also like an OT to groom, and the 4th round should still have some solid options. Got to add depth at that position via the draft.....not to do so in such a good year for OTs would be a mistake. 

Finally, I might go for Warren Jr. from Cincinnati as the RB choice; either way, a RB likely gets selected. 

Nice job. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

And I think we need to address the OT spot with how good this class is. We have no dependable backup OT on this roster. 

I agree With Bproland here.  Pretty light on the OL depth in your mock, and OT is probably the more pressing.  Love the Mims pick, though I think he’ll be gone in the early twenties.  Plenty of people think he’ll last to 34, so I hope you’re right!

• Like 2

I like it Jared.... I’d probably pop an OT somewhere in there too... but this would be a nice draft.

• Thanks 1

Really good draft. I would add though that while agree with the notion Mims could fall with the exception of if the 49ers go Kinlaw or something other than WR at 13. They could easily be looking to add someone like Mims at 31. Imo

• Like 1

I really like the first couple of picks. 

Love Mims

Love Kmet 

REALLY LOVE Hurts

The only worry I have is that if you want Hurts, you might have to take him at 34 or 44. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I really like the first couple of picks. 

Love Mims

Love Kmet 

REALLY LOVE Hurts

The only worry I have is that if you want Hurts, you might have to take him at 34 or 44. 

I'll wildly guess that it's 50/50 that Hurts is there at 75.  If that's correct, a trade up from 75 (or down from 44) might be a way to go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is just going to be a quick mock draft without trades. I'll explain each pick briefly.

Round 2a.) Denzel Mims WR: I believe he'll be here if the Packers pass on him. Great contested ball receiver, and the perfect compliment to Hilton and Campbell.

Round 2b.) Cole Kmet TE: If the Bears pass on him right before us, he should slide. Best TE in the class, great measurables, and a Gronk clone to replace Ebron.

Round 3.) Jalen Hurts QB: I'm really starting to warm up to him. Great athlete, very strong, and can be a starter in the NFL. Sit him behind Rivers for a year.

Round 4.) Damien Lewis OG: We need competition at RG and depth on the O-Line. Ballard has shown interest in Lewis, so I have him going here.

Round 5.) A.J. Green CB: Wilson, Carrie and Rhodes all have 1 year left on their contracts. Green would be a good CB to groom for a year until their contracts run out.

Round 6a.) Benito Jones DT: Solid depth DT that is a solid all around player. Only downside is size, but he has a lot of potential.

Round 6b.) Joshua Kelley RB: We are good at RB, but Mack is the only true RB that runs the ball heavily for us. Kelley can make the team and take some carries from Mack so he doesn't tire out and get hurt during the season.

Agree or disagree with my mock? Comment below! :thmup:

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Like the picks of Mims, Hurts, and Lewis at OG. 

I'm just not a huge fan of Kmet after watching his highlights. He looks a bit stiff, and isn't a fluid athlete. We already have a TE like him in Doyle. What we need is a matchup nightmare TE who can outrun LBs and outmuscle DBs. 

That's why I like Harrison Bryant better than Kmet. Bryant strikes me as a more athletic and fluid runner at TE. Jared Pinkney is another TE I see as more fluid than Kmet. 

This is hilarious go to 2m40s 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I recently watched Claypool, and two things stood out to me. First, Cole Kmet is pretty good. Second, Ian Book is pretty bad. 

I like Kmet. He's not the big time athlete that you're asking for, but I think he's a player, and I think he'll be good in the NFL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, il vecchio said:

I'll wildly guess that it's 50/50 that Hurts is there at 75.  If that's correct, a trade up from 75 (or down from 44) might be a way to go.

No way Hurts is what Reich is looking for in a qb

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No way Hurts is what Reich is looking for in a qb

Your right. Reich list of traits

1. Toughness- well actually Hurts is very tough and shows that on the field. So✔️

2. Accelerated Vision- Many will say Hurts is very weak at this. I would say he has shown massive improvement as he has played and gotten better offensive coaching. So maybe ✔️

3. Accuracy- Hurts career completion is 65%. Pretty good. So ✔️

4. Good feet- Come on. This part can’t be debated. He is elusive in the pocket, great body control and a great runner. So ✔️

5. Leadership/intangibles- This is another no brainedr. Captain for 2 blue blood teams. Named captain at OU after 1 offseason in program. Led 2 teams to national playoff. Went to 2 national title games. You can say a lot but no one questions this. So ✔️

So recapping you could say he ✔️5/5 boxes. Maybe you could argue ✔️4/5. He is totally a guy that Reich would want. 

Het beyond what people like to say about him and do the research. He is completely a guy they would like. Heck, Ballard scouted him in person at the Peach Bowl. 

• Like 1

Good job sir I love Mims and want he is just not going to be their. I think Aiyuk or Pittman like both! Kmet yes ! We do need OG ! Run run run. Ballard says lines first so DL and OL also ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

1. Toughness- well actually Hurts is very tough and shows that on the field. So✔️

2. Accelerated Vision- Many will say Hurts is very weak at this. I would say he has shown massive improvement as he has played and gotten better offensive coaching. So maybe ✔️

4. Good feet- Come on. This part can’t be debated. He is elusive in the pocket, great body control and a great runner. So ✔️

5. Leadership/intangibles- This is another no brainedr. Captain for 2 blue blood teams. Named captain at OU after 1 offseason in program. Led 2 teams to national playoff. Went to 2 national title games. You can say a lot but no one questions this. So ✔️

So recapping you could say he ✔️5/5 boxes. Maybe you could argue ✔️4/5. He is totally a guy that Reich would want. 

Het beyond what people like to say about him and do the research. He is completely a guy they would like. Heck, Ballard scouted him in person at the Peach Bowl. 

#1 trait he values. Can he play qb.  I don't think Hurts is an NFL qb.  When he played in the SEC against tough defences, he did not impress.  He is a project and I don't think Reich is into projects.  He just demoted one and replaced him with Rivers.  We will have to wait till the draft to see who is right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

#1 trait he values. Can he play qb.  I don't think Hurts is an NFL qb.  When he played in the SEC against tough defences, he did not impress.  He is a project and I don't think Reich is into projects.  He just demoted one and replaced him with Rivers.  We will have to wait till the draft to see who is right.

Lol, in fairness I don't know if you'd right just because we don't draft him. Sometimes you don't get the players you want.

Anybody think we could potentially end up with teammates Claypool and Kmet?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Switch Hurts to Gordon and I really like this draft.

I like both honestly. Took Gordon in the 4th round with the Broncos in the Gavin Mock Draft this year. You can go either way honestly. Appreciate the compliment! :thmup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

It’s certainly a possibility. They would probably be back to back picks for that to happen. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

With both our 2nds? Absolutely. They should both be there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

It’s certainly a possibility. They would probably be back to back picks for that to happen. 

Yeah I did 1 mock, my only one, and I ended up getting them back to back despite not targeting them at all.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 5:27 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I disagree with plenty of this.

1) Sure, he's tough. No one should ever question that.

2) Not even close. Playing QB in most college offenses doesn't call for NFL level vision. Playing in an Air Raid doesn't call for hardly any vision. It's spread offense, check-with-me, one-read (maybe two), smash/mesh concepts that only call for the QB to read one or two defenders, then throw the ball. When Hurts played in Alabama's offense -- which has more NFL-like passing concepts, but still a far cry from anything NFL level -- it was obvious that his ability to read and deliver was lacking. He did better in Oklahoma, and I'm fine with saying that he may have improved, but it was mostly playing in Lincoln Riley's offense.

And even in Oklahoma, he had some absolutely dreadful reads, in the passing game and in the RPO game.

3) Completion percentage does not equal accuracy. Hurts isn't very accurate at all, especially on tough throws. And he makes some terrible decisions throwing into coverage.

4) He's fast enough, elusive, tough to bring down. His footwork and mechanics in the pocket are substandard, at best. For as fast and quick as he can be, sometimes his feet are plodding and slow when he's setting up to throw (some of that is RPO related). He's bouncy, sometimes he never gets his feet set, his heels come together often, sometimes he never gets his hips around and winds up making a simple dumpoff a cross-body throw, he drifts in the pocket unnecessarily, etc... "Good feet" means a lot more than the ability to make things happen as a runner. He's a great athlete. His footwork is a mess sometimes, and being a good passer starts with the feet and body mechanics.

5) Sure thing. From what I see, there's no basis to question his leadership. I'm not too thrilled with a QB who doesn't have 2-4, even if he's off the charts for 1 and 5.

He's a playmaker. Very talented with the ball in his hands, and while he's sometimes reckless with the ball he has some natural gifts that he displays with some of his play fakes and whatnot. He has a good enough arm; some have knocked his arm strength, and he's no Josh Allen, but his arm is good enough, IMO. He does some special things off his back foot, and that's all arm strength. But he doesn't just whip the ball around the field. If he fixes his footwork and body mechanics, I think he could drive the ball to all levels of the field. Big if, though.

Now if you want a third round project that you're going to spend some time developing, you're going to get him with Tom House or another mechanics guru, and you're going to give him time to develop a command of the offense, then maybe he'll be a decent starter in the future. But he has some major deficiencies right now, and you can't just wish those away. Lots of talented QBs never work through their technical deficiencies.

I don't really like the idea of the Colts drafting him before Day 3. I consider him a major project. He's not fundamentally sound, he's not an especially talented passer, and I think he has issues with pro passing concepts. If I felt better about one of those three elements, I might upgrade him, but would still recognize that he has a lot of work to do. 

If I were running the show and we drafted him, he'd work exclusively with a mechanics coach until training camp, and he'd redshirt Year 1. It's hard to spend a top 100 pick on that kind of project, IMO.

• Like 1