Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the best wr available that we could draft

hambone35

10 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

You can find info/scouting reports about most players in the draft here (well this is specific to Albert O, but you can just search other names:  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/albert-okwuegbunam?id=32194f4b-5748-5869-ee3e-85d5399ce937)  

I like reading the scouting reports as well to see what they say about strengths and weaknesses of each player.  IMO, Albert O has a higher ceiling than Kmet and pretty much any other TE in this draft (Thaddeus Moss, watching him in the college playoffs, I think has a very high ceiling and a lot of room to develop even though he's already pretty good, but he's quite a bit smaller than Albert O).

I am very interested to see what they do at TE...with Ebron now gone. Doyle is solid...but Reich’s previous offenses had dynamic TEs like Gates and Ertz...and Ballard saw Kelce’s impact firsthand in KC. Those are three of best TEs of the past decade.

Suffice to say...you would think getting that type of player would

be high on their wish list. But this isn’t really the draft class to do that it would seem...so I hope they don’t overdraft one. I would much prefer a developmental prospect like Albert O than spending a big pick on Kmet or Hunter Bryant.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I am very interested to see what they do at TE...with Ebron now gone. Doyle is solid...but Reich’s previous offenses had dynamic TEs like Gates and Ertz...and Ballard saw Kelce’s impact firsthand in KC. Those are three of best TEs of the past decade.

Suffice to say...you would think getting that type of player would

be high on their wish list. But this isn’t really the draft class to do that it would seem...so I hope they don’t overdraft one. I would much prefer a developmental prospect like Albert O than spending a big pick on Kmet or Hunter Bryant.

I agree.  There was also talk of the Colts being in contact w/ Delanie Walker and some other FA TEs.  I imagine they're going to address that position somehow (like you say, Reich's offenses seem to always have one dynamic TE and one TE who is used more for blocking and short yards, which I how I view Doyle).  Won't be shocked if they get a one-year stopgap type guy to fill the void.  

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

Aiyuk is a little over a 4.5 guy, whereas O'Dell was a 4.4 guy.  That said, Aiyuk's 128 broad jump is 6 inches better than Beckham's, and his 40 inch vert is 2 inches better than Beckham's.

Could be... but out of all the WRs in this draft, he is the one who reminds me the most of TY.

Yeah...OBJ was a tick faster...but you can see Aiyuk’s speed on tape...very smooth athlete. The catching ability probably separates them...but I think Aiyuk is versatile like OBJ. 

No idea if the Colts are even on Aiyuk...but I hope they are. 

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree.  There was also talk of the Colts being in contact w/ Delanie Walker and some other FA TEs.  I imagine they're going to address that position somehow (like you say, Reich's offenses seem to always have one dynamic TE and one TE who is used more for blocking and short yards, which I how I view Doyle).  Won't be shocked if they get a one-year stopgap type guy to fill the void.  

Yeah...signing Walker and drafting a project is probably the way they will go for now...with an eye towards making a  splash next year in a (hopefully) better class.

Also...something to keep an eye on...after the draft sometime in May is the deadline for 5th year options for Howard, Engram and Njoku. It will be very interesting to see what those teams do. 

If those teams decline, it could potentially open up trade opportunities...depending on how the draft shakes out. 

Similarly, Hunter Henry is currently on the franchise tag...and could be available.

Would love to see Ballard have a trick up his sleeve and turn a future 3rd-4th round pick into one of those dynamic TEs.

But at the very least...next year’s FA TE group could be pretty deep.

39 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...OBJ was a tick faster...but you can see Aiyuk’s speed on tape...very smooth athlete. The catching ability probably separates them...but I think Aiyuk is versatile like OBJ. 

Aiyuk seems like a higher character guy than OBJ, as well.  I think after a few of OBJ's famous one-handed grabs his ego got a bit bigger than it was initially, but you could kind of tell coming out of college that he was a bit of a 'me' guy.  Seems like Aiyuk would have less problems in terms of locker room chemistry, media relations, etc. than OBJ.  I'm sure the Colts have studied Aiyuk extensively.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...signing Walker and drafting a project is probably the way they will go for now...with an eye towards making a  splash next year in a (hopefully) better class.

Also...something to keep an eye on...after the draft sometime in May is the deadline for 5th year options for Howard, Engram and Njoku. It will be very interesting to see what those teams do. 

If those teams decline, it could potentially open up trade opportunities...depending on how the draft shakes out. 

Similarly, Hunter Henry is currently on the franchise tag...and could be available.

Would love to see Ballard have a trick up his sleeve and turn a future 3rd-4th round pick into one of those dynamic TEs.

But at the very least...next year’s FA TE group could be pretty deep.

Wouldn't be shocked if we didn't draft a TE if we signed a vet.  I don't think Ballard's going to risk 'wasting' any draft picks.  If he feels like none of the TEs in this draft are going to be very good, I could see us going into the season with Doyle, MAC, and a FA with the plan to address TE next year.  I suppose if Albert O or Thad Moss fell to the 3rd or 4th, they may be too good to pass up.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be shocked if TE gets treated like QB this year -- put a bandaid on it with free agency and address the long term solution next year.

22 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think at least one of Mims, Jefferson, or Tee Higgins will be available at 34. I would prefer Jefferson first, Mims 2nd, and Higgins 3rd. 

Higgins will be there at #44. And I still probably wouldn't draft him there.

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Van Jefferson  is better.  His route running  is second to only jeudy

1 hour ago, Superfly said:

The value is not at te in this draft

On 4/8/2020 at 8:00 PM, TheNextGM said:

I’d take Claypool at 34 if he’s there but I doubt it.. some team will love his measurables.

More to love than just measurables. Fantastic hands,  body control on difficult catches, knows how to get contested balls. Dude is really good. Be a dream to double dip the ND pool n get him and Kmet

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Van Jefferson  is better.  His route running  is second to only jeudy

The value is not at te in this draft

Better than Aiyuk? Jefferson will be 24 (and likely maxed out)...never had much college production...and is coming off injuries that prevented him from attending both the Combine and his pro day.

I disagree he’s a better player than Aiyuk...though I would take him on Day 3.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Better than Aiyuk? Jefferson will be 24 (and likely maxed out)...never had much college production...and is coming off injuries that prevented him from attending both the Combine and his pro day.

His route running  is

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Yea van was making the lsu corners look silly with his route running.  Aiyuk has potential  to but I think van is more polished. 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:28 PM, WarGhost21 said:

I would hate Kmet at 34. IMO, and according to a lot of other people, this draft could go to day 3 with every TE still on the board. This is quite possibly the worst TE class talent-wise of the 21st century. Kmet is the best, but he has a ton of issues of his own. Claypool or Pittman would be nice at 44, but at 34 you have to look at CB or something else IMO.

Last year's wr draft was also suppose too b poor.  I could name u many  rookie wrs from last year's draft that excelled and exceeded expectations.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:38 PM, hambone35 said:

Just curious about peoples ideas, on the best Wide receiver available that checks all the boxes that can get separation etc? I believe that we should take at the 34th pick.

honestly we don’t know how the draft will unfold so this Is extremely hard to predict. 

On 4/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, hambone35 said:

Just curious about peoples ideas, on the best Wide receiver available that checks all the boxes that can get separation etc? I believe that we should take at the 34th pick.

What if a WR is not at the top of the Colts board at 34? Do you want the Colts to reach just to pick up a WR?

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Last year's wr draft was also suppose too b poor.  I could name u many  rookie wrs from last year's draft that excelled and exceeded expectations.

No it wasn't.  It was considered to have a lot of depth just not much on the high end.  And I think that showed to be true last year... a lot of good WRs, too early to tell if any will be elite.

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter who we draft at wr as long as he can replace TY Hilton or make TY's absence less a liability.  IF this team wants to go to the BAY Area Coast, they must find a sidekick to COVER for the always disappearing GHOST!

Riddle me this, Riddle thy MOST,

As the Colts record is ZERO,

Minus the GHOST!!!

On 4/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

More to love than just measurables. Fantastic hands,  body control on difficult catches, knows how to get contested balls. Dude is really good. Be a dream to double dip the ND pool n get him and Kmet

I've been saying this for some time but I sense most are stuck on ND's failures to accept that these two are Elite prospects.  Just goes to show you that a bad qb can make even the Elite look just mediocre.  We wouldn't know much about this topic though would we??  Hands, body control, IQ and the fact both stole the combine isn't enough for some.  

UKJ Hamler is the only WR in the second round who has the speed and seperation to take short slants that Rivers has great anticipation on to the house .Hamler is as close to a young Deshaun Jackson as there  has been .Think Steve Smith senior with deshaun Jackson speed .We do not need a slow WR out of breaks we do not need a Will Fuller clone or a Dante Inman clone .The colts need elite speed for Rivers .Rivers will destroy teams with Wr who can separate.Grab a TE  after Hamler  load the offense weapons up .I  do not see a huge difference between Hamler and the top 3 WR projected  except the elite seperation that he shows and jumps off film .

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Pittman, Mims or Reagor for me. 

I really like Reagor, just think we need some size on our roster with Funch gone. I wouldn't complain if we took him, but I will complain if we don't get either a 6-3 or more WR or a good receiving TE. Just not comfortable with Pascal being the "size" on our roster. 

Archived