Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
hambone35

Who is the best wr available that we could draft

Recommended Posts

Just curious about peoples ideas, on the best Wide receiver available that checks all the boxes that can get separation etc? I believe that we should take at the 34th pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve read potentially, that six WRs could be drafted in Rd 1. 
 

With that being said, I think most view a WR  who can play the X and agree. 
 

I like and want to say Mims, but think he’s definitely drafted before 34.

 

So, I see Pittman potentially being selected, but more at pick 44 and go CB at 34. JMO

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to get Cole Kmet at 34 & Chase Claypool at 44!  Checks two boxes and we’re getting two future pro bowl players in the second rd!  Thank you Book for dropping both players stocks & it’s up to staff to take advantage.  Both killed the combine and are real difference makers at the next level.  Imagine Rivers throwing to both with TY and Mack/Hines out of the backfield!  It’s there IF WE WANT IT!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read where PFF has the Colts taking WR Pittman at 34, RB Taylor at 44 as "he is perfect fit to run behind our OL" and QB Hurts at pick 75.   They have Kmet at pick 64 and Claypool at pick 72.  I have to admit I think their selections for the Colts would be selections that I could see Ballard making. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Just read where PFF has the Colts taking WR Pittman at 34, RB Taylor at 44 as "he is perfect fit to run behind our OL" and QB Hurts at pick 75.   They have Kmet at pick 64 and Claypool at pick 72.  I have to admit I think their selections for the Colts would be selections that I could see Ballard making. 

LOL, no way in Heck that Kmet & Claypool fall that far.  Just goes to show you these so called followers don’t know crap.  I’m ok with Pittman don’t necessarily think we need Taylor and miss out on a stud potential that we actually need to get us over the hump.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d take Claypool at 34 if he’s there but I doubt it.. some team will love his measurables.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Would love to get Cole Kmet at 34 & Chase Claypool at 44!  Checks two boxes and we’re getting two future pro bowl players in the second rd!  Thank you Book for dropping both players stocks & it’s up to staff to take advantage.  Both killed the combine and are real difference makers at the next level.  Imagine Rivers throwing to both with TY and Mack/Hines out of the backfield!  It’s there IF WE WANT IT!

I would hate Kmet at 34. IMO, and according to a lot of other people, this draft could go to day 3 with every TE still on the board. This is quite possibly the worst TE class talent-wise of the 21st century. Kmet is the best, but he has a ton of issues of his own. Claypool or Pittman would be nice at 44, but at 34 you have to look at CB or something else IMO.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I would hate Kmet at 34. IMO, and according to a lot of other people, this draft could go to day 3 with every TE still on the board. This is quite possibly the worst TE class talent-wise of the 21st century. Kmet is the best, but he has a ton of issues of his own. Claypool or Pittman would be nice at 44, but at 34 you have to look at CB or something else IMO.


 

Read today, that possibly no TE is taken until Rd 3. I’ll see if I can find it (link), but I could see it.

 

Agreed on Kmet. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kmet is rated higher than Claypool from all the Mocks I have seen.  Curious, what issues you see w/ Kmet that I don’t see since I’m from the 574?  Did you see the dominance vs GA in his first game back?  Not arguing just curious as I believe his QB was the reason he dropped from top 15 to 2nd rd!  Nobody is wrong until draft day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at least one of Mims, Jefferson, or Tee Higgins will be available at 34. I would prefer Jefferson first, Mims 2nd, and Higgins 3rd. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Superfly said:


 

Read today, that possibly no TE is taken until Rd 3. I’ll see if I can find it (link), but I could see it.

 

Agreed on Kmet. 

Curious, not here to argue but would like to know your stance on Kmet as an outsider?  Did you follow ND’s season?  What is it that you agree on Kmet?  Did you watch him kill the combine with his skills?  Just watching him catch the ball with ease impressed me & add the speed w/ the smarts of being a ND grad = ALL PRO at this level just like Kelce and Ertz.  My thoughts only but would like to hear yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no way Kmet makes it past Green Bay at 62. He fills a gigantic need there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically.....for me....

 

Mims & Reagor are the WRs I'd pick #34 if one of them happens to make it that far.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kmet will not make it past the 30’s I’ll guarantee it!  Don’t be surprised if a team like NE gets him in the first! Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think at least one of Mims, Jefferson, or Tee Higgins will be available at 34. I would prefer Jefferson first, Mims 2nd, and Higgins 3rd. 

I would be surprised if all three were avail but can see it with a deep draft at the wr position!  Regardless of who we pick, just want a replacement for 4th rd pick TY who when healthy were lethal but when not can’t beat the worst team in the league!  We must draft a replacement  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I would be surprised if all three were avail but can see it with a deep draft at the wr position!  Regardless of who we pick, just want a replacement for 4th rd pick TY who when healthy were lethal but when not can’t beat the worst team in the league!  We must draft a replacement  

3rd round Hilton 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

3rd round Hilton 

As long as we draft a replacement and the train keeps moving w/o him, I don’t care what rd he was drafted!  1, 2, 3, 4 doesn’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve run more mocks on more sites that’s I can count, and the best WR that is most often available at 34 is Tee Higgins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Kmet is rated higher than Claypool from all the Mocks I have seen.  Curious, what issues you see w/ Kmet that I don’t see since I’m from the 574?  Did you see the dominance vs GA in his first game back?  Not arguing just curious as I believe his QB was the reason he dropped from top 15 to 2nd rd!  Nobody is wrong until draft day

His blocking needs a ton of help, and sometimes you’ll find guys that get past that, but most of the time those guys who are pure receiving tight ends have elite physical traits. Kmet is not good enough to be a weapon, and he’s also not good enough to be a good blocker. He’s a very average TE, and it’s saying something that he’s still the top TE in the class

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I would hate Kmet at 34. IMO, and according to a lot of other people, this draft could go to day 3 with every TE still on the board. This is quite possibly the worst TE class talent-wise of the 21st century. Kmet is the best, but he has a ton of issues of his own. Claypool or Pittman would be nice at 44, but at 34 you have to look at CB or something else IMO.

Sorry.   But who are these websites making that claim?

 

Name them.

 

I think the odds of no TE being drafted until Day 3 are zero.   I agree it’s not a great class.   But it’s not THAT bad.  
 

Ive seen this claim no where.   So I doubt the quality of any website making the claim.  

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.   But who are these websites making that claim?

 

Name them.

 

I think the odds of no TE being drafted until Day 3 are zero.   I agree it’s not a great class.   But it’s not THAT bad.  
 

Ive seen this claim no where.   So I doubt the quality of any website making the claim.  

I was mistaken, it said the 3rd round, not day 3. Still, the TE class is clearly the worst position of the entire 2020 class. The TE’s need a lot of work

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

His blocking needs a ton of help, and sometimes you’ll find guys that get past that, but most of the time those guys who are pure receiving tight ends have elite physical traits. Kmet is not good enough to be a weapon, and he’s also not good enough to be a good blocker. He’s a very average TE, and it’s saying something that he’s still the top TE in the class

Lol, name me a top TE who has great blocking traits?  To say he is just avg and the top TE in the class is mind boggling.  To say he is not good enough to be a weapon means you did not follow ND at all.  If Kmet had a real qb he’d be top 15 bet that.  You could be right but I will bet all my yrs of following this game that Kmet will be a 30’s pick or sooner.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Lol, name me a top TE who has great blocking traits?  To say he is just avg and the top TE in the class is mind boggling.  To say he is not good enough to be a weapon means you did not follow ND at all.  If Kmet had a real qb he’d be top 15 bet that.  You could be right but I will bet all my yrs of following this game that Kmet will be a 30’s pick or sooner.

I will take that bet. I’m a Notre Dame fan, but I’m not a homer who’s going to sit here and say he’s a first round talent. He’s the best option in a horrible horrible TE class, that doesn’t mean he’s great

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Curious, not here to argue but would like to know your stance on Kmet as an outsider?  Did you follow ND’s season?  What is it that you agree on Kmet?  Did you watch him kill the combine with his skills?  Just watching him catch the ball with ease impressed me & add the speed w/ the smarts of being a ND grad = ALL PRO at this level just like Kelce and Ertz.  My thoughts only but would like to hear yours.


https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885142-2020-nfl-draft-25-predictions-

with-under-a-month-to-go#slide21

 

I’m not the biggest B/R fan, but here’s one writers prediction about the TE class.


https://walterfootball.com/draft2020TE.php

 

Here’s Walterfootball’s take on Kmet.

 

Take it for what it’s worth. And I do like Kmet, just not at 34. 
 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kmet is drafted as early as some here think, but I’m thinking late 2nd. JMO

 

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WarGhost21 said:

I will take that bet. I’m a Notre Dame fan, but I’m not a homer who’s going to sit here and say he’s a first round talent. He’s the best option in a horrible horrible TE class, that doesn’t mean he’s great

I’m not a homer either but recognize talent when I see it!  I suppose you think Ian Book was not responsible for the collapse of the 2019 season?  How did this ND team fail with both Cole Kmet & Chase Claypool as options?  I suppose both are just 3rd rd grades huh?  Let me ask you what if Book didn’t have a deer in the headlights type season, where would you rank Cole then?  Did you not see the NFL gurus gush about his combine?  I guess we will see in a couple of weeks of whose wrong or right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superfly said:


https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885142-2020-nfl-draft-25-predictions-

with-under-a-month-to-go#slide21

 

I’m not the biggest B/R fan, but here’s one writers prediction about the TE class.


https://walterfootball.com/draft2020TE.php

 

Here’s Walterfootball’s take on Kmet.

 

Take it for what it’s worth. And I do like Kmet, just not at 34. 
 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kmet is drafted as early as some here think, but I’m thinking late 2nd. JMO

 

Cheers

 

Superfly, you can believe what Bleacher Report says or what I say it’s your choice.  Just like the RB position, Numbnuts are now devaluing the TE position for whatever reason?  Nobody’s right or wrong yet but I feel strong about my take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I was mistaken, it said the 3rd round, not day 3. Still, the TE class is clearly the worst position of the entire 2020 class. The TE’s need a lot of work

So it was ONE website?   Not more?

 

Ill go on record as saying the chances of no TE being drafted until R3 are teeny, tiny bordering on zero.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Superfly, you can believe what Bleacher Report says or what I say it’s your choice.  Just like the RB position, Numbnuts are now devaluing the TE position for whatever reason?  Nobody’s right or wrong yet but I feel strong about my take.

 

I think you misunderstood me, as I clearly stated I read a prediction no TE would be taken by B/R. I also stated on not a fan of B/R, but I do agree with them that the TE class is weak. 

I don’t think Kmet is close the talent as some think. JMO and won’t bicker about it. 
 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally prefer Mims at pick 34.  But still researching.

 

Here are a couple of videos of Mims and Claypool 1 on 1 drills at the Senior bowl.  Looks like Claypool has greater size and strength to push the DB around, while Mims has greater sudden mobility and separation to go long.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Curious, not here to argue but would like to know your stance on Kmet as an outsider?  Did you follow ND’s season?  What is it that you agree on Kmet?  Did you watch him kill the combine with his skills?  Just watching him catch the ball with ease impressed me & add the speed w/ the smarts of being a ND grad = ALL PRO at this level just like Kelce and Ertz.  My thoughts only but would like to hear yours.

 

It seems like you'd be happy if the Colts only drafted Notre Dame players every year.  So nothing I say here will probably make sense to you.

 

Kmet was a productive college TE, for sure.  He like @WarGhost21 already said is not a very good blocker.  With his size, that's alarming.  It seems like his poor blocking is due to a lack of instincts there, which are hard to teach.  Not totally unteachable, but lack of instinct is not a good trait to have in the NFL.  He also ran a 4.7 forty, which is decent for a TE in the NFL (good for a college TE).  There are 4 other TEs faster than him in this draft.  My take on Kmet is that he's already playing right around his ceiling and won't really improve too much in the NFL in terms of blocking.  He gets jammed up at the line if a body is put on him and doesn't have the speed to recover if that happens.

 

I will trust the scouts, coaches and Ballard to make the right decisions in the draft (Ballard has a pretty good track record).  I won't be terribly upset if we took Kmet at 34, but depending how the board plays out in the first round, I imagine there will be players with more value than Kmet at that spot.  

 

I don't think this TE class is as bad as others are saying, as I think several TEs from this class will be productive NFL players (Brycen Hopkins, Albert Okwuegbunam, Thad Moss, Harrison Bryant being a few of them).  I don't see any Gronks or Tony Gonzalezes in this draft, though.  If I had to bet, I think Harrison Bryan and Albert Okwuegbunam (and maybe Thad Moss) have the highest ceilings and they are all players who seem like they can grow more with NFL coaching than Kmet, IMO.

______________________________________________________________________________________

In terms of top WR that may be available around when we pick, Ballard has been saying for a while now that this class is loaded with WR talent.  It'll be interesting to see what happens, as a lot of teams picking in Rd. 1 have a lot higher priorities than WR.  I think the odds of a QB run in the first vs. a lack of QB run are almost 50/50.  

 

The guys I see at WR who are going to be very good right out of the gates are CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Riggs III, Higgins.  More likely than not, those guys will be gone way before 34 comes around.

 

Guys who I think are most likely to be very good out the gate are Claypool, J. Jefferson, Jalen Reagor, Mims, and Brandon Aiyuk.  There is a very good chance more than 1 of them are available at 34.  I'd prefer us getting a big body which would eliminate both Aiyuk (5'11), Reagor (5'11).  It seems as though Mims' stock is rising as fast as any player in the entire draft, so I doubt he's around when we pick.

 

Other big frame guys who I think could be good early (but better with a year or two of coaching and NFL experience) are Gabriel Davis (6'2" 216 lbs, 4.54 forty, 72 receptions, 1,241 yards, 12 TDs last year), Laviska Shenault Jr (6'1" 227 lbs, 4.58 forty, 52 receptions, 721 yards, 4 TDs last year), Tyler Johnson (6'2" 200 lbs, 4.54 forty, 86 catches, 1,318 yards, 13 TDs last year), Collin Johnson (6'5" 221 lbs, 4.55 forty, 38-559-3 last year), Michael Pittman Jr. (6'3" 219 lbs, 4.52 forty, 101-1,275-11 last year), Antonio Gandy-Golden (6'3" 222 lbs, 4.6 forty, 79-1,396-10 last year), Bryan Edwards (6'3" 212, 4.58 forty, 71-816-6 last year), Kalija Lipscomb (6'1" 202 lbs, 4.57 forty, 43-468-2 last year), Van Jefferson (6'1" 200 lbs, 4.55 forty, 49-657-6 last year), Stephen Guidry (6'4" 190 lbs, 4.47, 24-311-4 last year on a bad Miss St. passing offense), John Hightower (6'1" 189 lbs, 4.43 forty, 51-943-8 last year), Donovan Peoples-Jones (6'2" 212, 4.48 forty, 34-438-6 last year and better the year before).  A few others, but I'll stop there.  All of these guys should be available at 34 (and many in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds).  

 

One smaller guy to look out for KJ Hamler from PSU.  5'9" 178, 4.4 forty, 56-904-8 last year.  He reminds me of a hybrid between TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson and Hollywood Brown.  He is very good after the catch and if we're looking for a future TY replacement, he seems like the one WR in this draft that could be his clone.  He's projected at rounds 2-4.

 

To be honest, if Ballard really wants to boost our WRs, if one of the studs in the first 2 lists doesn't drop to us, I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see him trade 34 back for additional picks allowing us to get 2-3 WRs from the last two groups.  I'd be thrilled to see us get KJ Hamler (TY clone) and a bigger guy like Gabriel Davis or Tyler Johnson in the late second or 3rd, and use our 44th on a TE, OL, CB, or DE.  

 

   

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Just read where PFF has the Colts taking WR Pittman at 34, RB Taylor at 44 as "he is perfect fit to run behind our OL" and QB Hurts at pick 75.   They have Kmet at pick 64 and Claypool at pick 72.  I have to admit I think their selections for the Colts would be selections that I could see Ballard making. 

I can't see the Colts drafting a RB in the 2nd round.  The team has other needs.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually didn’t catch a single ND game this year (live in VA so other schools dominate TV scheduling) but I wanted to know if the hype surrounding Kmet and Claypool is real.

 

I have heard Kmet is just the best of a really weak group of TEs and more likely to be an average starter/2nd TE than a probowler.

 

And to be completely honest besides this website and Colts fans I had never even HEARD of Claypool until he killed the combine.

 

Now I don’t claim to be a diehard college football fan but I do watch games every Saturday (especially if it’s THE U) and have a few players that jumped off the screen at me.

 

Give me Albert O as a TE in our offense any day. I think he fills the Ebron role opposite Doyle perfectly. Not sure how he tested and obviously NFL defenders are bigger/stronger/faster but he just looks sooo athletic on the field.

 

At receiver I developed somewhat of a man crush watching Tyler Johnson in Minnesota’s bowl game. Moves really well for his size and at least from the game I watched has vice grips for hands.

 

A lot of great players to discuss this year and appreciate everyone on the board who shares their insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:

I actually didn’t catch a single ND game this year (live in VA so other schools dominate TV scheduling) but I wanted to know if the hype surrounding Kmet and Claypool is real.

 

I have heard Kmet is just the best of a really weak group of TEs and more likely to be an average starter/2nd TE than a probowler.

 

And to be completely honest besides this website and Colts fans I had never even HEARD of Claypool until he killed the combine.

 

Now I don’t claim to be a diehard college football fan but I do watch games every Saturday (especially if it’s THE U) and have a few players that jumped off the screen at me.

 

Give me Albert O as a TE in our offense any day. I think he fills the Ebron role opposite Doyle perfectly. Not sure how he tested and obviously NFL defenders are bigger/stronger/faster but he just looks sooo athletic on the field.

 

At receiver I developed somewhat of a man crush watching Tyler Johnson in Minnesota’s bowl game. Moves really well for his size and at least from the game I watched has vice grips for hands.

 

A lot of great players to discuss this year and appreciate everyone on the board who shares their insight.

 

He's the fastest TE in the draft by far with a 4.49 forty (faster than most WRs).  Don't think he did any of the other tests at the combine, though.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Superfly said:

I’ve read potentially, that six WRs could be drafted in Rd 1. 
 

With that being said, I think most view a WR  who can play the X and agree. 
 

I like and want to say Mims, but think he’s definitely drafted before 34.

 

So, I see Pittman potentially being selected, but more at pick 44 and go CB at 34. JMO

 

 Pittman makes great sense at 44.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

He's the fastest TE in the draft by far with a 4.49 forty (faster than most WRs).  Don't think he did any of the other tests at the combine, though.     


Thanks for that info. That speed definitely translates on the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:


Thanks for that info. That speed definitely translates on the field.

 

You can find info/scouting reports about most players in the draft here (well this is specific to Albert O, but you can just search other names:  https://www.nfl.com/prospects/albert-okwuegbunam?id=32194f4b-5748-5869-ee3e-85d5399ce937)  

 

I like reading the scouting reports as well to see what they say about strengths and weaknesses of each player.  IMO, Albert O has a higher ceiling than Kmet and pretty much any other TE in this draft (Thaddeus Moss, watching him in the college playoffs, I think has a very high ceiling and a lot of room to develop even though he's already pretty good, but he's quite a bit smaller than Albert O).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

It seems like you'd be happy if the Colts only drafted Notre Dame players every year.  So nothing I say here will probably make sense to you.

 

Kmet was a productive college TE, for sure.  He like @WarGhost21 already said is not a very good blocker.  With his size, that's alarming.  It seems like his poor blocking is due to a lack of instincts there, which are hard to teach.  Not totally unteachable, but lack of instinct is not a good trait to have in the NFL.  He also ran a 4.7 forty, which is decent for a TE in the NFL (good for a college TE).  There are 4 other TEs faster than him in this draft.  My take on Kmet is that he's already playing right around his ceiling and won't really improve too much in the NFL in terms of blocking.  He gets jammed up at the line if a body is put on him and doesn't have the speed to recover if that happens.

 

I will trust the scouts, coaches and Ballard to make the right decisions in the draft (Ballard has a pretty good track record).  I won't be terribly upset if we took Kmet at 34, but depending how the board plays out in the first round, I imagine there will be players with more value than Kmet at that spot.  

 

I don't think this TE class is as bad as others are saying, as I think several TEs from this class will be productive NFL players (Brycen Hopkins, Albert Okwuegbunam, Thad Moss, Harrison Bryant being a few of them).  I don't see any Gronks or Tony Gonzalezes in this draft, though.  If I had to bet, I think Harrison Bryan and Albert Okwuegbunam (and maybe Thad Moss) have the highest ceilings and they are all players who seem like they can grow more with NFL coaching than Kmet, IMO.

______________________________________________________________________________________

In terms of top WR that may be available around when we pick, Ballard has been saying for a while now that this class is loaded with WR talent.  It'll be interesting to see what happens, as a lot of teams picking in Rd. 1 have a lot higher priorities than WR.  I think the odds of a QB run in the first vs. a lack of QB run are almost 50/50.  

 

The guys I see at WR who are going to be very good right out of the gates are CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Riggs III, Higgins.  More likely than not, those guys will be gone way before 34 comes around.

 

Guys who I think are most likely to be very good out the gate are Claypool, J. Jefferson, Jalen Reagor, Mims, and Brandon Aiyuk.  There is a very good chance more than 1 of them are available at 34.  I'd prefer us getting a big body which would eliminate both Aiyuk (5'11), Reagor (5'11).  It seems as though Mims' stock is rising as fast as any player in the entire draft, so I doubt he's around when we pick.

 

Other big frame guys who I think could be good early (but better with a year or two of coaching and NFL experience) are Gabriel Davis (6'2" 216 lbs, 4.54 forty, 72 receptions, 1,241 yards, 12 TDs last year), Laviska Shenault Jr (6'1" 227 lbs, 4.58 forty, 52 receptions, 721 yards, 4 TDs last year), Tyler Johnson (6'2" 200 lbs, 4.54 forty, 86 catches, 1,318 yards, 13 TDs last year), Collin Johnson (6'5" 221 lbs, 4.55 forty, 38-559-3 last year), Michael Pittman Jr. (6'3" 219 lbs, 4.52 forty, 101-1,275-11 last year), Antonio Gandy-Golden (6'3" 222 lbs, 4.6 forty, 79-1,396-10 last year), Bryan Edwards (6'3" 212, 4.58 forty, 71-816-6 last year), Kalija Lipscomb (6'1" 202 lbs, 4.57 forty, 43-468-2 last year), Van Jefferson (6'1" 200 lbs, 4.55 forty, 49-657-6 last year), Stephen Guidry (6'4" 190 lbs, 4.47, 24-311-4 last year on a bad Miss St. passing offense), John Hightower (6'1" 189 lbs, 4.43 forty, 51-943-8 last year), Donovan Peoples-Jones (6'2" 212, 4.48 forty, 34-438-6 last year and better the year before).  A few others, but I'll stop there.  All of these guys should be available at 34 (and many in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds).  

 

One smaller guy to look out for KJ Hamler from PSU.  5'9" 178, 4.4 forty, 56-904-8 last year.  He reminds me of a hybrid between TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson and Hollywood Brown.  He is very good after the catch and if we're looking for a future TY replacement, he seems like the one WR in this draft that could be his clone.  He's projected at rounds 2-4.

 

To be honest, if Ballard really wants to boost our WRs, if one of the studs in the first 2 lists doesn't drop to us, I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see him trade 34 back for additional picks allowing us to get 2-3 WRs from the last two groups.  I'd be thrilled to see us get KJ Hamler (TY clone) and a bigger guy like Gabriel Davis or Tyler Johnson in the late second or 3rd, and use our 44th on a TE, OL, CB, or DE.  

 

   

 

 

 

Hamler could be another  dorsett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

It seems like you'd be happy if the Colts only drafted Notre Dame players every year.  So nothing I say here will probably make sense to you.

 

Kmet was a productive college TE, for sure.  He like @WarGhost21 already said is not a very good blocker.  With his size, that's alarming.  It seems like his poor blocking is due to a lack of instincts there, which are hard to teach.  Not totally unteachable, but lack of instinct is not a good trait to have in the NFL.  He also ran a 4.7 forty, which is decent for a TE in the NFL (good for a college TE).  There are 4 other TEs faster than him in this draft.  My take on Kmet is that he's already playing right around his ceiling and won't really improve too much in the NFL in terms of blocking.  He gets jammed up at the line if a body is put on him and doesn't have the speed to recover if that happens.

 

I will trust the scouts, coaches and Ballard to make the right decisions in the draft (Ballard has a pretty good track record).  I won't be terribly upset if we took Kmet at 34, but depending how the board plays out in the first round, I imagine there will be players with more value than Kmet at that spot.  

 

I don't think this TE class is as bad as others are saying, as I think several TEs from this class will be productive NFL players (Brycen Hopkins, Albert Okwuegbunam, Thad Moss, Harrison Bryant being a few of them).  I don't see any Gronks or Tony Gonzalezes in this draft, though.  If I had to bet, I think Harrison Bryan and Albert Okwuegbunam (and maybe Thad Moss) have the highest ceilings and they are all players who seem like they can grow more with NFL coaching than Kmet, IMO.

______________________________________________________________________________________

In terms of top WR that may be available around when we pick, Ballard has been saying for a while now that this class is loaded with WR talent.  It'll be interesting to see what happens, as a lot of teams picking in Rd. 1 have a lot higher priorities than WR.  I think the odds of a QB run in the first vs. a lack of QB run are almost 50/50.  

 

The guys I see at WR who are going to be very good right out of the gates are CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Riggs III, Higgins.  More likely than not, those guys will be gone way before 34 comes around.

 

Guys who I think are most likely to be very good out the gate are Claypool, J. Jefferson, Jalen Reagor, Mims, and Brandon Aiyuk.  There is a very good chance more than 1 of them are available at 34.  I'd prefer us getting a big body which would eliminate both Aiyuk (5'11), Reagor (5'11).  It seems as though Mims' stock is rising as fast as any player in the entire draft, so I doubt he's around when we pick.

 

Other big frame guys who I think could be good early (but better with a year or two of coaching and NFL experience) are Gabriel Davis (6'2" 216 lbs, 4.54 forty, 72 receptions, 1,241 yards, 12 TDs last year), Laviska Shenault Jr (6'1" 227 lbs, 4.58 forty, 52 receptions, 721 yards, 4 TDs last year), Tyler Johnson (6'2" 200 lbs, 4.54 forty, 86 catches, 1,318 yards, 13 TDs last year), Collin Johnson (6'5" 221 lbs, 4.55 forty, 38-559-3 last year), Michael Pittman Jr. (6'3" 219 lbs, 4.52 forty, 101-1,275-11 last year), Antonio Gandy-Golden (6'3" 222 lbs, 4.6 forty, 79-1,396-10 last year), Bryan Edwards (6'3" 212, 4.58 forty, 71-816-6 last year), Kalija Lipscomb (6'1" 202 lbs, 4.57 forty, 43-468-2 last year), Van Jefferson (6'1" 200 lbs, 4.55 forty, 49-657-6 last year), Stephen Guidry (6'4" 190 lbs, 4.47, 24-311-4 last year on a bad Miss St. passing offense), John Hightower (6'1" 189 lbs, 4.43 forty, 51-943-8 last year), Donovan Peoples-Jones (6'2" 212, 4.48 forty, 34-438-6 last year and better the year before).  A few others, but I'll stop there.  All of these guys should be available at 34 (and many in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds).  

 

One smaller guy to look out for KJ Hamler from PSU.  5'9" 178, 4.4 forty, 56-904-8 last year.  He reminds me of a hybrid between TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson and Hollywood Brown.  He is very good after the catch and if we're looking for a future TY replacement, he seems like the one WR in this draft that could be his clone.  He's projected at rounds 2-4.

 

To be honest, if Ballard really wants to boost our WRs, if one of the studs in the first 2 lists doesn't drop to us, I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see him trade 34 back for additional picks allowing us to get 2-3 WRs from the last two groups.  I'd be thrilled to see us get KJ Hamler (TY clone) and a bigger guy like Gabriel Davis or Tyler Johnson in the late second or 3rd, and use our 44th on a TE, OL, CB, or DE.  

 

   

 

 

 


I am counting on a WR double dip. Might not be as early as I hope...but there are just too many WRs to not take at least two. 
 

I do think a big X WR type is pretty much a lock at this point. Rivers has had a lot of success with this type of WR (VJax, Malcolm Floyd, Mike Williams)...and I think Reich wants this type of WR for his offense.
 

Mims just seems like the guy they would want...and the best prospect to get. Higgins and Pittman to a lesser extent.
 

But I wouldn’t eliminate Brandon Aiyuk. For the purpose of this thread...after Mims...he’s the WR I want. While he’s not tall, he does have long arms, big hands and a fantastic vertical. He’s incredibly dynamic after the catch...and would be a chunk play machine in a quick-hitting RPO. 
 

But I also think he could eventually play outside...like OBJ. That’s a very lofty comparison...but there are a lot of similarities there (size, speed, arm length, hands, RAC ability, returning ability). 
 

If the Colts can snag Aiyuk and one of the big body WRs...I will be very pleased. If Ballard decides to go something like Aiyuk

with Higgins/Pittman/Edwards...I would be ecstatic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:


I am counting on a WR double dip. Might not be as early as I hope...but there are just too many WRs to not take at least two. 
 

I do think a big X WR type is pretty much a lock at this point. Rivers has had a lot of success with this type of WR (VJax, Malcolm Floyd, Mike Williams)...and I think Reich wants this type of WR for his offense.
 

Mims just seems like the guy they would want...and the best prospect to get. Higgins and Pittman to a lesser extent.
 

But I wouldn’t eliminate Brandon Aiyuk. For the purpose of this thread...after Mims...he’s the WR I want. While he’s not tall, he does have long arms, big hands and a fantastic vertical. He’s incredibly dynamic after the catch...and would be a chunk play machine in a quick-hitting RPO. 
 

But I also think he could eventually play outside...like OBJ. That’s a very lofty comparison...but there are a lot of similarities there (size, speed, arm length, hands, RAC ability, returning ability). 
 

If the Colts can snag Aiyuk and one of the big body WRs...I will be very pleased. If Ballard decides to go something like Aiyuk

with Higgins/Pittman/Edwards...I would be ecstatic.

I see them getting  some raw athletic  guy with good measurables  instead of taking  the more polished  guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:


I am counting on a WR double dip. Might not be as early as I hope...but there are just too many WRs to not take at least two. 
 

I do think a big X WR type is pretty much a lock at this point. Rivers has had a lot of success with this type of WR (VJax, Malcolm Floyd, Mike Williams)...and I think Reich wants this type of WR for his offense.
 

Mims just seems like the guy they would want...and the best prospect to get. Higgins and Pittman to a lesser extent.
 

But I wouldn’t eliminate Brandon Aiyuk. For the purpose of this thread...after Mims...he’s the WR I want. While he’s not tall, he does have long arms, big hands and a fantastic vertical. He’s incredibly dynamic after the catch...and would be a chunk play machine in a quick-hitting RPO. 
 

But I also think he could eventually play outside...like OBJ. That’s a very lofty comparison...but there are a lot of similarities there (size, speed, arm length, hands, RAC ability, returning ability). 
 

If the Colts can snag Aiyuk and one of the big body WRs...I will be very pleased. If Ballard decides to go something like Aiyuk

with Higgins/Pittman/Edwards...I would be ecstatic.

 

Aiyuk is a little over a 4.5 guy, whereas O'Dell was a 4.4 guy.  That said, Aiyuk's 128 broad jump is 6 inches better than Beckham's, and his 40 inch vert is 2 inches better than Beckham's.

 

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hamler could be another  dorsett

Could be... but out of all the WRs in this draft, he is the one who reminds me the most of TY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...